This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
(.doc, .xls, .jpg).

About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
ago.

The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:09:48 GMT, Confused
<DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
>and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
>(.doc, .xls, .jpg).
>
>About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
>attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
>file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
>using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
>use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
>to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
>not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
>all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
>ago.
>
>The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
>was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
>am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
>before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
>problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.
>
>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I guess they pointed you at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196784
Did they send you to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 as well?
Also, what's the Exchange server doing? It can overide the client
instructions. Check on Global Settings in ESM.

0
mark7219 (5667)
2/15/2005 8:23:37 AM
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:23:37 +0000, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
<mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:09:48 GMT, Confused
><DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>This one has me baffled.  We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000
>>and have been for 8 months.  No previous problems with attachments
>>(.doc, .xls, .jpg).
>>
>>About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the
>>attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable
>>file called winmail.dat.   MS says that this is because the sender is
>>using Rich Text to format the email.  We have changed the senders to
>>use Plain Text and still have the same problem.  If the email is sent
>>to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will
>>not.  This didn't happen before.  These same recipients have gotten
>>all attachments that were previously sent - up until about 2 weeks
>>ago.
>>
>>The only change to the Exchange server was an update to IHateSpam that
>>was done Sunday 2/13/05.  This problem preceded the IHS update, so I
>>am not inclined to believe that IHS is the problem (I've been wrong
>>before...).  We have a user base of around 90, and this is only a
>>problem for 4 users, and then only some of their recipients.
>>
>>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>I guess they pointed you at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196784
>Did they send you to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 as well?
>Also, what's the Exchange server doing? It can overide the client
>instructions. Check on Global Settings in ESM.

I looked at those, but they dealt with OWA, not Exchange Server
issues.
I was finally able to resolve the issue by forcing all email to be
sent as plain text from the Exchange server.  I really didn't want to
have to implement this, but now the attachments are going out and my
CEO is happy again.

Thanks for the help.
Confused <DontspamTruckerDave2@yahoo.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I looked at those, but they dealt with OWA, not Exchange Server
>issues.
>I was finally able to resolve the issue by forcing all email to be
>sent as plain text from the Exchange server.  I really didn't want to
>have to implement this, but now the attachments are going out and my
>CEO is happy again.

The attachments were always going with the message. The problem is
that some clients, and servers, don't understand the MIME ms-tnef
encoding and either ignore that MIME body part or mistakenly show the
contents of the MIME body part as if it were part of the text.

For the domains that have this problem you can use UUENCODE to them
instead of MIME, or use HTML. The root of the problem is RTF.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053 discusses the Exchange server.

--

Andy.
0

Multiple recipient update services
We have a single domain environment with 7 sites, a DC in each site which is also a GC. All servers are server 2003 I have just installed Exchange 2003 with sp2 into our head office site onto a server 2003 member server. I want to configure Multiple recipient update services as per this technote http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294792 When i go to finish adding in a new server i get this error: 'before createing a recipient update service a member of the domain admins security group in the chosen domain must run Exchange svr setup with the /domainprep command.' Does this me...

Outlook 2007 Some attachments require being saved before open
We have a situation where attachments sent by one department have to be saved to the hard drive before they can be opened when opening using Web Access. Most of the time these are Word documents. I was able to open the document fine when I sent the same document via gmail but when sent from my Outlook account, I am required to save it to the hard drive first. Many of our staff share computers so they 1) have to use Web Access to read their email and 2) do not want to have to save attachments before opening. ...

Can you get line breaks in a text cell
I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free text input. Is there a way I can put in a line or para break into a cell (as you can in a cell of a word table). Can't easily use separate cells as the number of paras can vary. I could use word but then I lose the facility to use excel on all the cells that contain data. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. TIA Rob Just hit Alt-Enter which editing a cell to start a new line RFJ wrote: > I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free > text input. &...

How to hide multiple recipients to recipients but not showing "Undisclosed recipients"
I have a situation where our marketing department needs to send mail to several of our customers - no big deal, right. Well ok.. they need to receive the mail as if it was sent to each one of them separatelly. So it must not say "Undisclosed recipients" - which is what happens if we put recipients into bcc. Is there a non-script way to do this through Outlook or is there any kind of setting in exchange that I need to change? Thanks for your help. D. --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for fr...

Getting the cell reference
How can I automatically/ continously get the cell reference to the last cell in a particular column, that contains text? Any help would be appreciated! *Thanks. :) * -- DuncanG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DuncanG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16398 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=277691 Hi see for various methods depending on your data structure and performance requirements: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html "DuncanG" wrote: >...

Get values from blank cells
Hi, I have some width and height values in several columns with a lot of blank cells of sheet2. Like this: A B C blank blank 2*987 blank blank blank blank 4*500 blank 5*400 blank blank How can I get only the cells with values in column A of sheet1: A 5*400 4*500 2*987 Can this be done! Thank you so much What do you want to do if there are two values in a row? Average them? Add them? Both of these would work as long as if the values were numbers or blank. "canvas" <spyele123@gmail...

unable to open internet mail attachment when computer is offline
when i try to open internet mails with attachment windows xp generates error and it closes the inbox this behaviour occurs when my computer is plugged off the network, when my system is back on network i can open mail attachments without any pbm.Internet mails configured in outlookXP ...

I get an error when sending sheet via email
I am running office 2000. I recently updated Outlook to Outlook2003. Now, none of the other applications can email. When I click the icon I get an error that the email application can not be found. I was able to send an excel sheet as an attachment, but I need to be able to send as the message body. Any help would be great. Thanks Marty Hi Marty See number 3 http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm A workaround is to use my Add-in (Outlook version) http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/add-in.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Marty" <Martyr@peerohio.com...

Unkown Recipient
I am new to Exchange so I need some help. One of my users was recieving email but now is not. I get this type of reply: The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: ... I created a new account and I get the same thing. I seem to be missing something. The user exists and the account is active. I am using NT 4.0 with Exchange 5.5. Thanks for your assistance. Bruce Browning Bruce Browning wrote: > I am new to Exchange so I need some help. One of my users > was recieving email but now is not. I get this type of > reply: > > The recipient na...

Applying recipient policies
I'm posting this from an earlier thread that I think got lost in the shuffle "Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote: > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:45:04 -0700, Equilar Tech > <techinfo@equilar.com.(donotspam)> wrote: > > >Does anyone know if it is possible to configure Exchange Server 2003 Standard > >Edition to delete any emails in a mailbox (not just in the Deleted Items > >folder, but also in any other folder) if it's older than X days. My company > >would like to implement a policy where we delete all emails older than 90 > >days,...

Get name of selected item for a product
Column A is with names of items. Columns B to D are for entering value of items for products B to D. Value of item is set to be max. 1 and only one item can be selected fo a product. Row1 A B C D Row2 Lamp 1 0 0 Row3 Diode 0 1 1 Row4 2Pin 0 0 0 Row5 (result) Lamp Diode Diode I need to get the result, in the last row of each product as, name o product that has been selected. What should be the formula -- Me...

Creating EMAIL Message -- Font is blurry to recipient
Once I send an email that I create in publisher the text appears blurry to the recipeint. Any one have any ideas how I can eliminate this problem I am using Verdan 8pt font and i have converted it to a web publication. Hi JV (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Once I send an email that I create in publisher the text appears || blurry to the recipeint. Any one have any ideas how I can eliminate || this problem? || || I am using Verdan 8pt font and i have converted it to a web || publication. Is it blurry only to this particular recipient? What does it loo...

Moving attachments automatically to a file folder
Hi, Is there an easy way to configure Outlook 2000 to move attachments from certain messages automatically to a file folder. I mean a normal file folder in Windows, outside Exchange/Outlook environment. I would like to create an archive for attachments, and this archive would have to be accessible by several users, at the same time - so a .pst file is not a good option. It seems that I cannot use a rule or auto archive function to perform this, as they do not allow me to specify a target folder outside the Exchange environment. I do not have permissions to change the configuration o...

Force Recipient
I'm setting-up a training room with 8 PCs. I'd like all email sent by the students to always be sent to the instructor's email address, regardless of what email address the student uses. Is there a way to force Outlook 2002 to do this? Or, can it be done with Exchange? Thanks! Ted ...

Outlook and Zip Files As Attachments
Dear All I am really puzzled by Outlook when I am trying to attach some zip files. I usually attach files by using the command button provided by Outlook to browse and attach the required file... The problem here is that I am not able to find zip files in Outlook's dialog box and because I cannot find them, I cannot attach them... But the strange thing is that sometimes, I have no problems at all... I am able to see the zip files and attach them... Does anyone have such experiences before...? If yes, how did you resolve the problem...? cheers When you are looking in the dial...

Get .ico file from HICON
Hi, How can I get a .ico file from an HICON ? Yoav. I think you can't. Because there is no file paht date in HICON. "Yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> д����Ϣ����:OMQhZojvIHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > How can I get a .ico file from an HICON ? > > Yoav. > Can I create a new .ico file from a given HICON ? "fiveight" <fiveight@tom.com> wrote in message news:%23qPIG6jvIHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I think you can't. Because there is no file paht date in HICON. > > "Yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> >...

How do I get useful month-to-month comparisons?
Now that I have all my Asset and Liability accounts set up and 5 months of entries that balance out correctly and are categorized, I'm trying to figure out how to get useful month-to-month comparisons. What I want to do: make sure my normal income actually covers my normal expenses and savings goals. I want to see my average monthly income vs. expenses, but not the default incomve vs. expense Report: I want to ignore certain extraneous one-time expenses and unpredictable income events, and I want certain income or expense events to be averaged out over the year rather than appea...

Recipient Filtering
Hello Group, Here's a brain tickler. I am thinking of activating the "Filter recipients who are not in the Directory" option on the Recipient Filtering tab of the Message Delivery properties in Exchange 2003. Now my questions is, I know that it will only accept e-mails for addresses that it finds in the Directory. Does it also accept e-mails for additional e-mails addresses? If I have a user called Janet Jackson (which I do, unfortunately not the right one) with an e-mail address of janetjackson@music.com, but I also want to give her the address sexyjanet@music.com or j...

This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C648E9.FDEFAA40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable A user sent a small email to a large group of people and got the = following NDR:=20 This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's = mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and = try sending it again. <server name #5.2.3> The email is well under the size limits - both SMTP and on the mailbox = stores. I thought that everyone whose mailbox...

Why don't my qquestions get answered
Ok, I am a Standard Plan A subscriber. I was told that if my questions to not get answered within 48 hours, that I would receive a reponse from a MS Tech about my problem. I have made numerous post, and have not had all of them answered. I have made numerous post about the same item and have not had them answered. Is there anyone out there from MS that can explain this to me. I feel that Standard Plan A has been a waste of money. Thanks You must associate your posting e-mail address with your customer source profiles e-mail address? That is the only way they know who to reply to....

Long emails get cut off
Long emails, especially mail that has been forwarded around, gets cut off after 50 or 60 lines. Any ideas? ...

Get Excel to provide equation for my x and y
I am doing an assignment on how hot water gets in degrees celcius when so many kilojoules are supplied to it. i have a graph, with data provided to me for this function. kilojoules is my y, and degrees celcius is my x. i need to get excel to provide an equation that relates heat, y supplied to temp., x, in the range of 0-100 degrees celcius. In A1 type the word temperature; in B1 the word kilojoules Under these enter your data Put the mouse pointer anywhere with in the data; use the Chart Wizard on the toolbar to make an XY chart with just markers (no line) When you have the chart, right...

Recipient policies
Hi, I have added a new recipient policy, and added some alternate addresses. %g%s@domain.com, etc. I used all users with mailboxes as the filter and applied the policy. None of the users have recieved the new addresses. Any ideas ? What version & SP Exchange? Did you test the LDAP query when you set it up in the recpient policy? Did this return a set of results? How long have you waited for addresses to appear? How many recipient policies do you have set? Is the new policy a higher priority or lower than default policy? D. "matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsof...

How do I get a publisher template for A7 envelope?
I need a template for A7 envelope and A4 envelope Donna Gracon wrote: > I need a template for A7 envelope and A4 envelope There is no such thing as an "A7 envelope" or an "A4 envelope" because those are paper sizes - when referencing envelopes you should use the correct prefix, which is 'C'. Do you really mean "C7" by the way because it's not a standard size and, if it was a typo and you meant 'C6' Publisher already has those. And I don't see why you're having problems with C4 - just use an A4 sheet, design and print. I do it...

get the running path
Hi, i know there was an possibility to get the application exe path from the main args. But I do not remember how to extract the information. Could somebody give me the example? Thanks, Holger hi holger, try this TCHAR szPath[MAX_PATH]; GetModuleFileName(GetModuleHandle(GetExeName()), szPath, MAX_PATH); -- kind regards, muechel while(!sleep()) ++sheep; hi, Try GetModuleFileName() AfxGetInstanceHandle() Dont remember which one will give the path. hth gangadhar Holger Krei�l wrote: > Hi, > > i know there was an possibility to get the application exe path from t...