Some Help Mobile Connectivity Blackberry Enterpise Server or Windows Smartphone

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I thought I'd ask the exchange
admins first.

I need to find a solution for mobile phone connectivity.  We want to fully
synchronize calendar, contacts, task, and email with our yet to be
determined mobile devices.  I need this sync to be two way so if an entry is
made on the phone it syncs back to exchange and if an entry is made in
Outlook it syncs to the phone.

I personally use a Palm Treo 700W and with Exchange SP2 and it works fine
for me but it doesn't sync the draft and deleted folders.  so if I have a
draft email in outlook it's not synced to my treo and if I delete an email
on the phone that deleted message is not displayed in my deleted folder in
outlook.  Maybe this is a config issue on my end but I want to know if the
BES software can sync all folders including draft and deleted.

In addition, I'm interested any other advantages or disadvantages between
the two with the emphasis on the BES software.

Any help, personal comments/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
--

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

0
rkircher (53)

One other Question,  With my Treo 700 I'm completely desktop independent
meaning it syncs everything w/o the need to connect to a desktop at any
time.  The question is does the Blackberry device do the same with the BES?
My users roam from desktop to desktop so the thought of plugging a device
into a cradle is completely out.

--

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I thought I'd ask the exchange
> admins first.
>
> I need to find a solution for mobile phone connectivity.  We want to fully
> synchronize calendar, contacts, task, and email with our yet to be
> determined mobile devices.  I need this sync to be two way so if an entry
> is made on the phone it syncs back to exchange and if an entry is made in
> Outlook it syncs to the phone.
>
> I personally use a Palm Treo 700W and with Exchange SP2 and it works fine
> for me but it doesn't sync the draft and deleted folders.  so if I have a
> draft email in outlook it's not synced to my treo and if I delete an email
> on the phone that deleted message is not displayed in my deleted folder in
> outlook.  Maybe this is a config issue on my end but I want to know if the
> BES software can sync all folders including draft and deleted.
>
> In addition, I'm interested any other advantages or disadvantages between
> the two with the emphasis on the BES software.
>
> Any help, personal comments/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
> --
>
> Rob
> "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

0
rkircher (53)
4/26/2007 12:16:59 AM
Regarding the Drafts folder a Deleted Items.  True, you cannot sync the
Drafts folder to WM5 device but this may change in WM6.  False, if you
delete an Item on your WM5 device it WILL show up in  your Deleted Items in
your Exchange Mailbox.

As for BES, you can purchase the BES Enterprise Software but it will cost
you money.  For small companies, less then 15 blackberry users, there is
free promotion where you get BES Server Express free with purchase of one
Blackberry phone.
http://www.drwireless.com/products/b_berry/BBpromo0407.pdf

Now, the pros and cons.  I have used both services and find Windows Mobile
with Exchange 2003 SP2 & Exchange 2007 to be the best over BES.  The fact
that you get both Windows Mobile and Exchange Activesync included with your
phone and Exchange Software is a no brainer as it will not cost you dime.
For Security, Reliability, Compatiblity, etc., Windows Mobile is my choice.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

> One other Question,  With my Treo 700 I'm completely desktop independent
> meaning it syncs everything w/o the need to connect to a desktop at any
> time.  The question is does the Blackberry device do the same with the
> BES? My users roam from desktop to desktop so the thought of plugging a
> device into a cradle is completely out.
>

> --
>
> Rob
> "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
>

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I thought I'd ask the exchange
>> admins first.
>>
>> I need to find a solution for mobile phone connectivity.  We want to
>> fully synchronize calendar, contacts, task, and email with our yet to be
>> determined mobile devices.  I need this sync to be two way so if an entry
>> is made on the phone it syncs back to exchange and if an entry is made in
>> Outlook it syncs to the phone.
>>
>> I personally use a Palm Treo 700W and with Exchange SP2 and it works fine
>> for me but it doesn't sync the draft and deleted folders.  so if I have a
>> draft email in outlook it's not synced to my treo and if I delete an
>> email on the phone that deleted message is not displayed in my deleted
>> folder in outlook.  Maybe this is a config issue on my end but I want to
>> know if the BES software can sync all folders including draft and
>> deleted.
>>
>> In addition, I'm interested any other advantages or disadvantages between
>> the two with the emphasis on the BES software.
>>
>> Any help, personal comments/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
>> --
>>
>> Rob
>> "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

0
jcoliverjr (1013)
4/27/2007 9:46:46 PM
Thanks John, this is exactly the type of info I needed.  I'm leaning very
heavily towards the MS solution but one of the concerns is world wide access
to email.  Quite honestly this is a rare need but the powers to be want it.
And of course there's the "that company used blackberry why don't we"
syndrome.

I'll have to look into the deleted mail not syncing.  I did a quick test
with my Treo 700w and it did not sync back to the server.  Not sure what
wrong.

"John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> made in Outlook it syncs to the phone.
>>>
>>> I personally use a Palm Treo 700W and with Exchange SP2 and it works
>>> fine for me but it doesn't sync the draft and deleted folders.  so if I
>>> have a draft email in outlook it's not synced to my treo and if I delete
>>> an email on the phone that deleted message is not displayed in my
>>> deleted folder in outlook.  Maybe this is a config issue on my end but I
>>> want to know if the BES software can sync all folders including draft
>>> and deleted.
>>>
>>> In addition, I'm interested any other advantages or disadvantages
>>> between the two with the emphasis on the BES software.
>>>
>>> Any help, personal comments/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rob
>>> "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

4/27/2007 10:47:35 PM
I understand your dilema, do your homework but I would start at TCO (total
cost of ownership) and ROI (return on investment) between both technologies.
I have migrated over a dozen customers this year already from Blackberry to
Exchange Server & WM5.  No customer has even thought about returning to
blackberry.  As for world wide access issue, as long as your WM5 has
internet/data service then you can sync.  Its no different than the
blackberry.

As for the Deleted Items not showing from the Treo to your Outlook, do you
have another WM5 device to test with?

--

> Thanks John, this is exactly the type of info I needed.  I'm leaning very
> heavily towards the MS solution but one of the concerns is world wide
> access to email.  Quite honestly this is a rare need but the powers to be
> want it. And of course there's the "that company used blackberry why don't
> we" syndrome.
>
> I'll have to look into the deleted mail not syncing.  I did a quick test
> with my Treo 700w and it did not sync back to the server.  Not sure what
> wrong.

> Rob
> "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
>

> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Regarding the Drafts folder a Deleted Items.  True, you cannot sync the
>> Drafts folder to WM5 device but this may change in WM6.  False, if you
>> delete an Item on your WM5 device it WILL show up in  your Deleted Items
>> in your Exchange Mailbox.
>>
>> As for BES, you can purchase the BES Enterprise Software but it will cost
>> you money.  For small companies, less then 15 blackberry users, there is
>> free promotion where you get BES Server Express free with purchase of one
>> Blackberry phone.
>> http://www.drwireless.com/products/b_berry/BBpromo0407.pdf
>>
>> Now, the pros and cons.  I have used both services and find Windows
>> Mobile with Exchange 2003 SP2 & Exchange 2007 to be the best over BES.
>> The fact that you get both Windows Mobile and Exchange Activesync
>> included with your phone and Exchange Software is a no brainer as it will
>> not cost you dime. For Security, Reliability, Compatiblity, etc., Windows
>> Mobile is my choice.
>>
>> --
>> John Oliver, Jr
>> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
>> Exchange MVP 2007
>> Microsoft Certified Partner
>>

>> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> One other Question,  With my Treo 700 I'm completely desktop independent
>>> meaning it syncs everything w/o the need to connect to a desktop at any
>>> time.  The question is does the Blackberry device do the same with the
>>> BES? My users roam from desktop to desktop so the thought of plugging a
>>> device into a cradle is completely out.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Rob
>>> "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
>>>

>>> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

0
jcoliverjr (1013)
4/28/2007 1:37:51 AM
I do have another device, and I'll try to get it from the user.  He's the
one that actually brought it to my attention.  When he did I did a quick
test with my Treo and seemed to have the same issue.  Haven't had time to
look over it again.

Issue with world wide is GSM service.  We currently use Verizon.  The only
other US provider that supplies a Treo phone that I know of is Cingular AT&T
and I'm not sure I can get the client to move to Cingular.  They keep
talking about T Mobile.

>I understand your dilema, do your homework but I would start at TCO (total
>cost of ownership) and ROI (return on investment) between both
>technologies. I have migrated over a dozen customers this year already from
>Blackberry to Exchange Server & WM5.  No customer has even thought about
>returning to blackberry.  As for world wide access issue, as long as your
>WM5 has internet/data service then you can sync.  Its no different than the
>blackberry.
>
> As for the Deleted Items not showing from the Treo to your Outlook, do you
> have another WM5 device to test with?
>
> --
> John Oliver, Jr
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
> Exchange MVP 2007
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Thanks John, this is exactly the type of info I needed.  I'm leaning very
>> heavily towards the MS solution but one of the concerns is world wide
>> access to email.  Quite honestly this is a rare need but the powers to be
>> want it. And of course there's the "that company used blackberry why
>> don't we" syndrome.
>>
>> I'll have to look into the deleted mail not syncing.  I did a quick test
>> with my Treo 700w and it did not sync back to the server.  Not sure what
>> wrong.
>>

>> --
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rob
>> "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
>>

>> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Regarding the Drafts folder a Deleted Items.  True, you cannot sync the
>>> Drafts folder to WM5 device but this may change in WM6.  False, if you
>>> delete an Item on your WM5 device it WILL show up in  your Deleted Items
>>> in your Exchange Mailbox.
>>>
>>> As for BES, you can purchase the BES Enterprise Software but it will
>>> cost you money.  For small companies, less then 15 blackberry users,
>>> there is free promotion where you get BES Server Express free with
>>> purchase of one Blackberry phone.
>>> http://www.drwireless.com/products/b_berry/BBpromo0407.pdf
>>>
>>> Now, the pros and cons.  I have used both services and find Windows
>>> Mobile with Exchange 2003 SP2 & Exchange 2007 to be the best over BES.
>>> The fact that you get both Windows Mobile and Exchange Activesync
>>> included with your phone and Exchange Software is a no brainer as it
>>> will not cost you dime. For Security, Reliability, Compatiblity, etc.,
>>> Windows Mobile is my choice.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Oliver, Jr
>>> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
>>> Exchange MVP 2007
>>> Microsoft Certified Partner
>>>

>>> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

0
rkircher (53)
4/28/2007 1:57:11 AM
"John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I understand your dilema, do your homework but I would start at TCO (total
>cost of ownership) and ROI (return on investment) between both technologies.
>I have migrated over a dozen customers this year already from Blackberry to
>Exchange Server & WM5.  No customer has even thought about returning to
>blackberry.  As for world wide access issue, as long as your WM5 has
>internet/data service then you can sync.  Its no different than the
>blackberry.

While that's true, it's only true of devices that use GSM/GPRS. There
are PocketPCs and SmartPhones that are sold in the US that won't work
outside the US (they use CDMA -- I think that's the right acronymn).
And GSM, while it's available in lots of places in the US, tends not
to have very good coverage outside well populated areas. More, the GSM
bands that some phones made for use in the US use are 850/900/1900
while the rest of the world uses 800/900/1900. A European-made phone
probably wouldn't work in, say, T-Mobile's U.S., roaming zones (they
use the 850 band).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Reply window size
Whenever I reply to a message, the window always maximizes, and the fonts change. I'm more concerned about just having the reply window stay teh regular size as the e-mail I am reading and replying to. Thanks. ...

sumifs help

Unable to install dpm 2007 sp1 agent to Server 2008R2
I am unable to do an install of the dpm agent to server 2008R2, from DPM Manager I get errors, manual install seems to work, but dpm server is unable to communicate, the is the AgentBootstapperCurr.errlog: PS. I first installed the updated version from 1038 directory, then uninstalled and installed the original SP1 one: 0D28 0A10 04/03 11:39:58.204 14 main.cpp(1801) Failed: F: lVal : (HANDLE)(schService = OpenServiceW( schSCManager, strServiceName.PeekStr(), (0x00010000L) | 0x0020 | 0x0004)): 0x80070424 0D28 0A10 04/03 11:39:58.204 14 main.cpp(1839) DeleteServiceByName for...

Help !

Publisher 2003: Windows Installer error 1635
Publisher 2003 and the rest of Office 11 is also installed, Windows XP Home SP1 In Publisher > New Publication > Business forms > Invoice > I get several choices, but when I try to load one of them, I get the error alerts: "Publisher cannot run this wizard. This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?" When I try to install even with the Office CD inserted . "Publisher cannot run this wizard. Microsoft Office Publisher cannot install the necessary files due to Windows Installer error 1635." It seems I used to have no problem ins...

Help with this thing

Moving CRM server 08-09-07
We are shifting a portion of our office to a new location. This includes moving the CRM server as well. The new location is on a different subnet. My question is will there be any impact of the move on the CRM? Please note that the CRM server IP Address will change. The CRM Server has the CRM and SQL server installed. Btw, we have not upgraded to CRM 3.0 and are still on 1.2 at this point. Thanks I don't think it will affect you, as long as update the IP address correctly on your server and your users can access the server. Also you have SQL and CRM in the same box. You should be go...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

C#.net windows application
Since I am new to c#.net 2008 but I have worked a little with visual basic.net 2005, I have the following questions I would like to ask: 1. When I am looking at a .sln file that I will be maintaining a work, I can see there are lots of static void Main() methods in a file called program.cs throughout the solution in separate folderts. Can you tell me the purpose of this kind of code? Does this instantiate an object, is this a class libary member? 2. When running the C#.net 2008 professional version windows application, how do I know which 'main' method is being called? ...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Does HQ run better on XP or Win Server 2003?
I'm running HQ on a win2000 machine. I would like to upgrade. Does it run better in XP or Win Server 2003? Is it certified for Win Server 2003? HQ will run fine on either. Remember that there are many components to "HQ" - Server, Client, Manager and a database - you may want to split those functions across several systems. We normally recommend a full version of SQL Server rather than MSDE for HQ Environments, and that requires a Server OS - consider Small Business Server Premier which includes SQL Server as well as Win 2K3 Sever and some of the other MS Back Office s...

Macro Help

help me #2

Backing up server in another forest (with trust)
I have DPM 2007 with Service Pack1. I am trying to backup data from a server that is in a domain in a different forest from the one that holds the DPM server. ForestA.com - has DPM-01 server as a member of the root domain ForestB.com - has the server FS-01 to be backed up as a member of the root domain. All servers on the network are Windows Server 2008. There is a trust relationship between the two forests. The good news is that we got the backups to work, however the problem is that they fail after a while and we get an "access denied" error from the DPMRA s...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

cant connect via emails
i cant click on web addresses in email. it used to link to those web sites automatically but now nothing happens. i must have changed something but i dont know what! ...

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help