Some Domains Reject Mail From My Domain

This is a frustrating problem. I'm in a bit of an argument with our DNS
person about this. I have researched this a lot, and have yet to come up
with a concrete solution. I believe it's an external DNS issue and not my
Exchange 2003 server. I would appreciate any assistance you could provide.

Our internal Exchange server sends mail through our firewall as
mail3.hearthnhome.com.
Incoming Internet email goes to mail1.hearthnhome.com or
mail2.hearthnhome.com where it is then routed to our internal Exchange
server.

Problem: Some domains block our email. They reject it saying their domain
does not accept email from domains that reject bounce messages. I don't
belive my Exchange server rejects bounces. Here is a report from
www.dnsreport.com:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=hearthnhome.com

Note the failure message in the Mail section:

"ERROR: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail from "<>".
Mailservers are required by RFC1123 5.2.9 to accept mail from "<>". By
refusing this mail, you will never get reject/bounce messages, or return
receipts, and you may get other mail server admins upset at you if they have
to deal with your bounce messages.
ERROR: mail1.hearthnhome.com's MAILFROM <> response: 553 5.5.4 <>... Domain
name required for sender address .
ERROR: mail2.hearthnhome.com's MAILFROM <> response: 553 5.5.4 <>... Domain
name required for sender address ."

So what's the verdict? Is it my Exchange 2003 server or our external DNS
that is the problem? Thanks!!

0
bhanley72 (11)

"Brian" <bhanley72@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This is a frustrating problem. I'm in a bit of an argument with our DNS
>person about this.

Why pick on the DNS person?

Do you use a PIX firewall? If you do, disable the mail guard feature.

Here's what a session with yout domain looks like:

220 ****02********************************************************0***
mail from:<>
553 5.5.4 <>... Domain name required for sender address
quit

You're not listed here:

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/lookup.php?domain=192.237.59.11

but you could be!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> "Brian" <bhanley72@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >This is a frustrating problem. I'm in a bit of an argument with our DNS
> >person about this.
>
> Why pick on the DNS person?
>
> Do you use a PIX firewall? If you do, disable the mail guard feature.
>
> Here's what a session with yout domain looks like:
>
> 220 ****02********************************************************0***
> mail from:<>
> 553 5.5.4 <>... Domain name required for sender address
> quit
>
> You're not listed here:
>
> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/lookup.php?domain=192.237.59.11
>
> but you could be!
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thanks for your input Rich. It turns out that it was a configuration issue
on our firewall. The mail agent there was set up to not allow null or
invalid domains to send to us. It's since been fixed. Thanks!

0
bhanley72 (11)

Mail Forwarding #3
We have an executive that was monitoring an employees E-mail activity. So, what happens was anytime E-mail went to employee a, a copy would be forwarded to the executive. This has been going on for some time. This executive no longer needs to monitor this employees E-mail. However, I can't find where to shut the rule off. I checked in the mailbox of employee a and there are no rules. I checked on the Exchange General Tab in AD and looked under delivery options, yet there is no forwarder. Where else can this be setup so I can shut this off? Please help! Thanks. "Joe R....

Help on mail set up needed asap (please)
Setting up mail accounts in outlook was disabled and can not get it back. DOes anyone know how I can get it back? What version of Outlook are we talking about here? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Mikeg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3ac101c47f64$8ade5420$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Setting up mail accounts in outlook was disabled and can > not get it back. DOes anyone know how I can get it back? ...

forged sender domain
Can anyone tell me if sending an email with a forged sender domain (for example the sender domain=the destination domain) actually violates any RFCs for internet mail? We are working with a service that sends legitimate mail to us but it appears "from" us. A recent policy addition by our ISP to block internet mail from our local domain has started blocking this real mail and we are left to solve the problem. Thanks I don't know about the RFCs but it will be flagged as suspect (possibly forged) if anyone is doing a reverse DNS lookup. Nue "William Gilles" <Wil...

Need help w/ Mail appearance
For reasons unclear to me, until today any email sent to me in HTML came up clean. Now all of my mail in my mailboxes and incomming is in ugly text only. What can I do to correct this? Scott Goldstein <sgpmediamail@yahoo.com> wrote: > For reasons unclear to me, until today any email sent to me in HTML > came up clean. Now all of my mail in my mailboxes and incomming is > in ugly text only. What can I do to correct this? What version of Outlook? -- Brian Tillman ...

multiple Domains under one domain or multiple forests under one forest
I have to research on below scenario. Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only connected via WAN only. Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate Trees. Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia regional forest to one of Europe Domain. As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy f...

Stopping auto check for mail when Outlook opens
Hi there, Just wanting to know how to stop Outlook from checking for mail when it starts up. When I sync my phone, iPod, etc.. for my contacts and calendar. The auto check for mail sometimes causes the process of updating to crash. Thanks for the help in advance. Take care islandbko Is it neccessary to start OL in order to sync, its certainly not a requirement of my phone sync software. Your sync software should have warned you that a sync whilst OL is polling will cause problems, and may corrupt the process. You turn off polling in the Options of whatever version of OL you are using &...

Public Contacts as Mail Merge Source?
I am trying to use our public contacts folder as a mail merge source for microsoft Word. I have the folder checked to "show as an outlook address book" however when I try to select teh public folder during the mail merge wizard it just reverts to my personal contacts and not the public folder even though I am explicitly selecting the public folder. Any idea why this is happeneing and how I can use the public contacts for a mail merge? Any exchange settings I need to make to help this happen? Thanks Joe Open Outlook Go to the public folder you want to use. Click in the &qu...

Excel mailing via Lotus Notes
I've used the search facilty and searched via googel and have found som code that works for sending my email via lotus notes at work. I moded it a little so my email receiptients are shown on th spreadsheet face ------------------------------------- Dim objNotesSession As Object Dim objNotesMailFile As Object Dim objNotesDocument As Object Dim objNotesField As Object Dim emailsendto(10) As Variant Function SendMail() On Error GoTo SendMailError Required - Send to address emailsendto(0) = Range("address1") emailsendto(1) = Range("address2") EMailSubject = "Aut...

Rejected by Server
When sending mail, I get an error with "rejected by server". The e-mail is still sent, but I get this error message every time. You are hiding some of the details. The reject error would show some status error number, like 550, and an error code, like 0x.....CE. Are you sending e-mails using your ISP's SMTP (outbound) mail server? Or are you connected to their network but trying to relay SMTP requests across their network to an SMTP server on someone else's network? That's a no-no since many ISP's will not let you relay SMTP traffic across their network (except,...

New Mail Error
In outlook, when I click on a new mail message, I the following error: "There is no disk in the drive.Please insert disk inot drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4" This system used to be a dual boot machine. I ran Windows 2000 from the second hard drive. Since than I reinstalled Office on the "C:\" Any ideas? ...

e-mails not downloading
I have had wmail for about 2 months and I hate it. About a week ago I added another e-mail account to the wmail profile and since then things haven't been the same. It worked correctly for about a day. I have since deleted the 2nd e-mail account. Now, the e-mails I have been receiving to my first account are showing up intermittently. I know some are missing because I get them on my blackberry also. They go from the primary mail server to both the bb and wmail. That server is set to leave them on the server. Some go to the W Mail "Quick Mail: unread e-mail" f...

User mail msgs delivered to administrator mbx
I have a bit of a mystery which I am at a loss as to how to track down. On a periodic cleanup of the administrator mailbox on a cliente SBS2003 I found a load of messages which should have been delivered to user mailboxes. Reading from the admin mailbox, the messages all have a to field set to the users name, and have not been reformatted such as may happen with bounced messages. If I take a particular message and check back in the logs the first mention in the daily log for a given message has from-column thesource@clientedom.com to-column administrator@mydom.com and not as you wo...

Error Msg: Mail not downloading
All of a sudden... a new problem has popped up! In one of my email accounts that goes into Outlook, I can see the sender and subject line -- but when I click on it to read it, I get an error message instructing me to "Mark for Download" -- ON EVERY EMAIL. This is a pain, as I have to mark every single email and the click on Send/Recieve. Any way to change my settings or something that stops this frustrating thing from happening??? "AMHEINS" <AMHEINS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AAB7775B-89E3-450A-905F-C97D4DC6BD3F@microsoft.com...

Publisher should merge to e-mail.
The only way I've found to mail merge with email AND publisher is to save the publisher document to a 'single web page'. Then open Outlook, select contacts and then mail merge and select the new .mhtml document. Then RE-EDIT said document, and then finally click on merge to email. You'd think it'd be a simple upgrade to just add a 'merge to email' button for Publisher. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in ...

Cannot see child domain users in parent domain
Our domain has exchange servers in the parent domain and no exchange server in the child domain, when i create a mailbox for a user in the child domain the user can connect through OWA. The preview of the GAL on the server contains the user but on an outlook client i cannot find that user. the user cannot configure outlook because its name doesn't appear in the address list. help wanted please See if this helps re Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297801/en-us Nue "Hidma" <Hidma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BF06DC-C9EC-483E-B219-FC3AB...

double set of filters, calendaring and POP3 mail...
I've always used outlook calendar, even when the rest of my colleagues were using a totally different solution. now, most of them migrated to outlook/exchange calendaring in addition to outlook/exchange messaging, then I am receiving more and more meeting requests/calendar items. I am gathering email using POP3 against the exchange server with outlook 2002. i like better retrieving with POP3 because it's faster and keeps my inbox empty as i have mail quota. Now, when I retrieve an calendar invitation with POP3, I end up getting it 'translated' to 'plain' email, with n...

Exch. Server in Child Domain
I've added both exchange servers in the replication tab of all the objects that I want to replicate... Should the folder just appear in the child domain users' public folder stack? Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 Dan Klinge wrote: > But.....how do I get the Parent Domain's calendars to show up in the Child > Domain's users' outlook??? > > > > "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAMJERKArborMed.com> wrote in message > news:%23pblelKOGHA.3728@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >> Yes. I just setup replication of the two main public c...

how to get a domain name
I sampled Outlook and obtained a license for it but how do I download it, open it or create it? Am I allowed a domain name? What are you talking about? Outlook is a PIM - nothing to do with = domains.=20 If you purchased Outlook, put in the CD, put in your PID when prompted, = then configure a mail account and start using Outlook. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, AJ asked: | I sampled Outlook and obtained...

"Block auto-forward outside local domain" question
I know that Exchange can be configured to block auto-forward/redirection outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain specified domains. But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable this feature, based on some programtic criteria? For example, if Exchange user X has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user exit allow X to auto-forward to their external account? If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would be a good place to configure the external e-mail address to mak...

Exchange server full Dismounted mail box store
Ok hi everybody i am currently using exchange 2000 standard on w2k server, obviously since my IT guy has left me high and dry i am faced with the the problem o fthe exchange blowing up and the mailbox constantly dismounting. Online maintenance says 25mb will only be freed up inspite of users deletings/archiving GB of data. I have run an offline defragmentation too to no avail. could anyone shed some light on this situation and advise me of a feasible solution rather than purchasing exchange enteprise. Any work around? i would greatly appreciate it. How do i exactly split my mailboxes a...

Blank E-Mails
Some of my users are complaining that e-mails sent or received are blank, I have tried the SP3 patch, changing text formats. Even some random command line. regsvr32 - inetcomm.dll. The cause of this blank e-mail fettish is unknown and doing my head in. We have restarted the SBS a number of occasions and all seems to be going fine until I hear those lovely word, "My e-mails are blank AGAIN" Ahhhh! Can someone, ANYONE help with this, The problem as far as I can see is common and microsoft seem to know nothing about it. Please write to my e-mail address or post here if you k...

Double queue item from incoming e-mail messages
Hi there, whenever I receive an e-mail through the exchange connector, one (1) e- mail activity is created for the correct user. But in the 'my work' user queue for the specific user I get a double item for that one e-mail. If I accept one of these 2 items both items get copied to the in progress view. If i delete one of these 2 items only one item get's deleted. I stopped the exchange connector service to check if the email was forwarded double (maybe a wrong rule), but no such thing. As expected only one message gets forwarded. So I think the exchange connector itself creates...

Intersite domain connection issues
I have been battling a strange problem that has been difficult to troubleshoot and difficult to explain or categorize. I'm hoping that someone may have encountered similar issues and have some ideas. Problem: About every 3 days or so, the exchange server in the branch office will experience some or all of the following problems: 1. Mail flow between the main office and this branch office will stop including outgoing and incoming Internet mail and mail. 2. From this server, I cannot connect to the administrative share (c$ or d$) of one or both of the domain controllers in the ...

Outlook 2000 no left margin in e-mail
Using Outlook 2000, running WindowsXP. When typing an email (and viewing the screen) there is no margin on the left side of the page. How do I set a margin? Thank you. mac1 <mac1@nospam.com> wrote: > Using Outlook 2000, running WindowsXP. When typing an email (and > viewing the screen) there is no margin on the left side of the page. > How do I set a margin? Are you using the Outlook editor or Word as your editor? Are you composing with a format or in Plain Text? -- Brian Tillman "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ODiT%2...

domain to domain TLS
Hello, In Exchange 2003 is there an easy way to enforce TLS between my domain and one or two specific external domains? I know there are some overriding, more global settings but in the case of just a few domains is what I'm more curious about. If possible, what would I need to do on my end and what would the recipient domain require to be done? Thanks for any help! Scroll down to: Enable Transport Layer Security Encryption for a Specific Remote Domain in an Exchange Organization in the following KBA: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829721 The remote domain would also need to co...