SMTP restrictions #2

A few questions:

If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the
attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound?

If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the
attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes
through, does the sender recieve an error?

Sorry so many questions. Thanks!
0
scott7693 (519)

Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment.  There is
no setting specifically for the attachment size.  When there is a violation,
the entire message is bounced back to the sender.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A few questions:
>
> If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the
> attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound?
>
> If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the
> attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes
> through, does the sender recieve an error?
>
> Sorry so many questions. Thanks!

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/23/2005 5:05:25 PM
Ed,

This pertains to both Incoming and Outbound?
I currently have the threshold set at 7500(KB) and I am having problems with
an attachment & message body that is only about 4300(KB). Does the Exchange
SMTP make a log entry when it bounces the message (due to size)?If so, where?

Thanks,

Scott

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment.  There is
> no setting specifically for the attachment size.  When there is a violation,
> the entire message is bounced back to the sender.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A few questions:
> >
> > If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the
> > attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound?
> >
> > If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the
> > attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes
> > through, does the sender recieve an error?
> >
> > Sorry so many questions. Thanks!

0
scott7693 (519)
8/23/2005 5:17:03 PM
Both inbound and outbound, yes.

Remember that attachment conversion can be relatively inefficient.  There
could be a case where a 4300KB attachment plus the message body and headers
could be above 7500KB in size.

Such bounces are not usually logged.  You might be able to turn up
diagnostic logging to make that happen, but I don't know where.
--

> Ed,
>
> This pertains to both Incoming and Outbound?
> I currently have the threshold set at 7500(KB) and I am having problems
> with
> an attachment & message body that is only about 4300(KB). Does the
> Exchange
> SMTP make a log entry when it bounces the message (due to size)?If so,
> where?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment.  There
>> is
>> no setting specifically for the attachment size.  When there is a
>> violation,
>> the entire message is bounced back to the sender.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A few questions:
>> >
>> > If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the
>> > attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound?
>> >
>> > If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the
>> > attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing
>> > goes
>> > through, does the sender recieve an error?
>> >
>> > Sorry so many questions. Thanks!

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/23/2005 5:26:39 PM
Is there a generel rule of thumb regarding attachment conversion? I didn't
realize that an attachment could be larger at the recipient end, after being
sent. I do appreciate your help with this. Also, one more question. If I set
a higher limit on a specific user account, does this override the default
limit for that user alone, if the default limit is less than the user
accounts limit?

Scott

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Both inbound and outbound, yes.
>
> Remember that attachment conversion can be relatively inefficient.  There
> could be a case where a 4300KB attachment plus the message body and headers
> could be above 7500KB in size.
>
> Such bounces are not usually logged.  You might be able to turn up
> diagnostic logging to make that happen, but I don't know where.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ed,
> >
> > This pertains to both Incoming and Outbound?
> > I currently have the threshold set at 7500(KB) and I am having problems
> > with
> > an attachment & message body that is only about 4300(KB). Does the
> > Exchange
> > SMTP make a log entry when it bounces the message (due to size)?If so,
> > where?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment.  There
> >> is
> >> no setting specifically for the attachment size.  When there is a
> >> violation,
> >> the entire message is bounced back to the sender.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
scott7693 (519)
8/23/2005 5:36:04 PM
The rule is that the most restrictive limit counts because the limits are
evaluated at different points.
--

> Is there a generel rule of thumb regarding attachment conversion? I didn't
> realize that an attachment could be larger at the recipient end, after
> being
> sent. I do appreciate your help with this. Also, one more question. If I
> set
> a higher limit on a specific user account, does this override the default
> limit for that user alone, if the default limit is less than the user
> accounts limit?
>
> Scott
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Both inbound and outbound, yes.
>>
>> Remember that attachment conversion can be relatively inefficient.  There
>> could be a case where a 4300KB attachment plus the message body and
>> headers
>> could be above 7500KB in size.
>>
>> Such bounces are not usually logged.  You might be able to turn up
>> diagnostic logging to make that happen, but I don't know where.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ed,
>> >
>> > This pertains to both Incoming and Outbound?
>> > I currently have the threshold set at 7500(KB) and I am having problems
>> > with
>> > an attachment & message body that is only about 4300(KB). Does the
>> > Exchange
>> > SMTP make a log entry when it bounces the message (due to size)?If so,
>> > where?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Scott

0
curspice6401 (3487)

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set?
How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set? On Jul 20, 5:26 am, libertyforall <r...@royhuff.com> wrote: > How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each > data set? Hi libertyforall, have a look at Jon Peltier's beatiful site, especially: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Have fun, cheers Michael ...

stupid question #2
i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a first name column. is it possible to split the contents with out having to retype it all. P.S. there are over 1000 entries ;O) Select the cells with names in and then:- data|text to columns and use the wizard Mike "Kimberly" wrote: > i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and > first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a > first name column. > is it p...

Beginner question #2
Please forgive what might be a beginner question. I have a spread sheet that is made up of 10 columns. I would like to make it so that each time I change a number in these columns, the sub-total at the bottom of each column changes automatically AND so that the sub-total in the far right column changes automatically. Is there a template for this?? Thanks so much!!! You would use a function for that, lets say you have values in A1 to A10, then in A11 place this =SUM(A1:A10), or =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10. got the idea?? "jenny" <jenny@hotmail.net> skrev i melding ne...

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

customise timeline
Hi there, I need to set up a customised timeline with a "day 0" - it's to do a month end timetable for an accounting function. Day 0 would be the last day of the month and is the reference point day -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 4 etc Do you know how I can set this up? At the moment it goes from day 1 to day -1 and I need a day 0 in between. Thanks Thanks, Hi robbo, Are you trying to customize the Gantt chart timeline? If so, I'm sorry, the answer is no. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mv...

The page cannot be found #2
Exchange 2003, OWA 2003 &Outlook 2003. Outside company premise, when using OWA to read mails, some mails cannot be displayed. It shows "The page cannot be found". When read mails in company premise (LAN connectivity) using either OWA or Outlook, it has no problem. What goes wrong???? We have a customer with the exact same problem. Certain messages can not be displayed in OWA from outside, while those same messages can be read from inside using Outlook or OWA. Dean "Emyeu" wrote: > Exchange 2003, OWA 2003 &Outlook 2003. > Outside company premise, when...

CTabCtrl Problem #2
I am using a Tabed interface in my application. While user removing one tab manually, My application have a option for the next selected tab (Adjucent Right or Left). This is working fine for me. In one case, the number of tabs are more than the number of tabs can show in a window, user scroll to the last tab bar and try to close the tab starting from last one. According to the setting (Adjucent Left) my application select the tab adjucent left to the one closed. The code looks like if(m_tabctrl.GetItemCount() > 0) { if(index - 1 >= 0) index--; m_tabctrl.SetCurSel(index); /...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

"Show Placeholders" in options/view menu does'nt work. #2
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

Support Debugging Tool #2
Is the Support Debugging tool available for GP9. I have a customer having a random issue with GP and a third party product. I had read somewhere that you can set this tool up to capture when something is not happening - a way to capture these random things. how easy is this tool? We do have a development team - so if i need that level of skill i have that available to me. Andrea, Support Debugging Tool is available for versions 8, 9, and 10. The issue you are describing is the perfect scenario where you would use SDT. SDT is relatively simple to use and even if you have the need for ...

Public Contacts folder #2
How do you create a public contacts folder in Exchange 2003 for everybody in the company to see and to add contacts to? Take a look here http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF018.html -- Michael Bell Bell Consulting Services, Inc. No emails please. "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:156ab01c4465e$a678c7e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > How do you create a public contacts folder in Exchange > 2003 for everybody in the company to see and to add > contacts to? ...

Customization Certification 1.2
I would like to know the difficult of the CRM Customization Exam. I have the Application Certification. Which is more difficult: Application or Customization? Thanks. -- Troy D. Chinula is the guy! http://www.ilovelive.com Customization is harder. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "MATTBIONDI" <MATTBIONDI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79CF8B90-6747-475E-A51C-7B24E13FEC62@microsoft.com... I would like to know the difficult of the CRM Customization Exam. I have the Application Certification. Which is more difficult: Application or Customization? Thanks...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

contact issues #2
I just installed Microsoft Office XP Professional from the CD with no problem. However, whenever I click on file, then click on new and then try to click on any of the items in the drop down list I receive a dialog box with Microsoft Outlook and a yellow exclamation point. Also, included in the dialog box are the words could not open the item, try again. Could you please tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it as the program is of no use to me this way? ...

Userform Question #2
Am I able to keep a macro running even if a userform is showing, I have put a code in the this workbook module userform1.show call start Thanks in advance Greg you can put a macro on the userform on activate event Private Sub UserForm_Activate() call start End Sub double click on the form to get access to the code window Eric >-----Original Message----- >Am I able to keep a macro running even if a userform is showing, > >I have put a code in the this workbook module > >userform1.show > >call start > > >Thanks in advance > >Greg > > &...

2 columns reports
I have a report which only need half of the pages and would like to have first half on the left and others on the right of report to save some papers. Does MS Access support a report has 2 columns or I need 2 sub report one query has top 50 percent on left sub report and others on right sub report. Any suggestions are appreciated, Inung iccsi wrote: > I have a report which only need half of the pages and would like to > have first half on the left and others on the right of report to save > some papers. > > Does MS Access support a report has 2 columns o...

HTTP Virtual Server #2
Dear sir, When I try to start the http Virtual server, an error message box appears , which is "Invalid Argument, Facility WIn32, ID No:80070057. Give me a solution for that... With Thanks & Regards Shiju Sekharan "Shiju.T.S" <Shiju.T.S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E26AD8FF-3E23-4E81-A096-22A5B7D3D880@microsoft.com... > Dear sir, > > When I try to start the http Virtual server, an error message box appears > , > which is > "Invalid Argument, Facility WIn32, ID No:80070057. > > Give me a solution for that... ...

Graphing Question #2
Greetings! I am trying to graph a set of data in 'XY (Scatter)' and am running into a problem I've never seen before. There are only seven values for 'X' - numbers 0 through 6. 'Y' is a set of percentages ranging from '0.00%' to '13.00%' I have about 7,000 of these pairs. When I graph this, I am not of seeing the six discreet bands of percentages that I would expect. For some reason, instead of graphing the 'X' value, it is graphing the order that the 'Y' value comes in the list. Instead of graphing: RATING INCREASE 4 ...

Word as email editor #2
We have installed Outlook 2003 as part of our upgrade to Windows SBS 2003. Outlook has Word 2003 as the only choice for the outside editor. Why can't I use Word 2002 from Office XP? If I can, how do I make the change? Outlook is too limited in comparison to what Word can do to documents. In article <02ae01c3c011$38a23f40$a101280a@phx.gbl>, miker@lsmold.com says... |We have installed Outlook 2003 as part of our upgrade to |Windows SBS 2003. Outlook has Word 2003 as the only choice |for the outside editor. Why can't I use Word 2002 from |Office XP? If I can, how do I make ...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...

!!!Homework Help!!! #2
I am trying to help my 12 year old son with a math project for school. He has to make a scale model of our house. Being the computer wiz that I am I suggested that we take the measurements that he had compiled of the house and put them in the computer. Then let Excel scale the measurements for him. This didn't work very well. Excel doesn't seem to recognize one foot as being 12 inches. In other words 1 foot 6 inches ends up being 1.5 feet. This causes a problem when trying to actually build the model. What I need to know is� Is there a way to scale measurements in Excel? I wa...