SMTP Queue filled with wanna be senders

Whenever I go into the SMTP Virtual Server Queue on my
exchange server I notice their are several e-mails waiting
to be routed out from several domain names like Enter7 or
funfortonight sending from "Postmaster".  They always sit
in the Queued status but never get delivered. Obviously
they are spammers trying to relay but they can't. Over a
weekend I notice somtimes 20 or 30 sit in the Queue.  I
have configured the options that Micorosoft has suggested
to not allow relaying. Is thier any way to prevent these
Spammers from hanging in my Queue without interrupting my
companies regular e-mail. I hate haven't to go in and
clean it out.

Thanks, Ed
sservavi@yahoo.com
0
sservavi (1)

Those are most likely NDRs (non delivery receipts) because the bogus sender
sent an email to a guessed email address in your domain.  Since the sender
is bogus (Enter7), it sits in your queue.

Delete 'em all.

--
Nick Cavalancia
MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI
"Eddie" <sservavi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I go into the SMTP Virtual Server Queue on my
> exchange server I notice their are several e-mails waiting
> to be routed out from several domain names like Enter7 or
> funfortonight sending from "Postmaster".  They always sit
> in the Queued status but never get delivered. Obviously
> they are spammers trying to relay but they can't. Over a
> weekend I notice somtimes 20 or 30 sit in the Queue.  I
> have configured the options that Micorosoft has suggested
> to not allow relaying. Is thier any way to prevent these
> Spammers from hanging in my Queue without interrupting my
> companies regular e-mail. I hate haven't to go in and
> clean it out.
>
> Thanks, Ed
> sservavi@yahoo.com

0
nickc1 (118)
2/25/2004 4:15:04 AM
Is there a way to quickly delete all the Queues.  Rignt now I have to
highlight each queue one at a time.  Then I do a find messages dialog.  Then
I clisck on the find button.  Then I highlight the messages and click
delete(no NDR) the I select yes at the prompt.  Repeat for every Queue.

Is there anyway to just delete all the bad Queues at once?  Or is there some
type of utility available>   BTW I am using Exchange 2003.

Thanks
Lee Allen
Lee@doreyrealestate.com

"Nick Cavalancia" <nickc@remove-comsphere.com> wrote in message
> Those are most likely NDRs (non delivery receipts) because the bogus
sender
> sent an email to a guessed email address in your domain.  Since the sender
> is bogus (Enter7), it sits in your queue.
>
> Delete 'em all.
>
> --
> Nick Cavalancia
> MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI
> nickc@remove-comsphere.com
> Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key"
> Web: http://www.comsphere.com
> Ph: 954.275.0114
> Fax: 954.791.6763
> "Eddie" <sservavi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I go into the SMTP Virtual Server Queue on my
> > exchange server I notice their are several e-mails waiting
> > to be routed out from several domain names like Enter7 or
> > funfortonight sending from "Postmaster".  They always sit
> > in the Queued status but never get delivered. Obviously
> > they are spammers trying to relay but they can't. Over a
> > weekend I notice somtimes 20 or 30 sit in the Queue.  I
> > have configured the options that Micorosoft has suggested
> > to not allow relaying. Is thier any way to prevent these
> > Spammers from hanging in my Queue without interrupting my
> > companies regular e-mail. I hate haven't to go in and
> > clean it out.
> >
> > Thanks, Ed
> > sservavi@yahoo.com

0
Lee1440 (4)
2/25/2004 10:53:22 AM
Nick,

That's what I do now is delete them I wanted to know since
they seem to be always addressed to send from "Postmaster"
is their a way to block thme before they getin the Queue?
Is their a way to only allow postmaster to send
internally. And where is this postmaster account? and can
it be renamed?

0
anonymous (74721)
2/25/2004 1:55:33 PM
The only way I can think of to eliminate this problem is with a content
filter on the way IN that checks the senders domain.  That way, it never
gets in to be NDR'd.

--
"Eddie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Nick,
>
> That's what I do now is delete them I wanted to know since
> they seem to be always addressed to send from "Postmaster"
> is their a way to block thme before they getin the Queue?
> Is their a way to only allow postmaster to send
> internally. And where is this postmaster account? and can
> it be renamed?

0
nickc1 (118)
2/25/2004 2:16:12 PM
Not that I know of.  Sorry.

--
"news.ptd.net" <Lee@doreyrealestate.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to quickly delete all the Queues.  Rignt now I have to
> highlight each queue one at a time.  Then I do a find messages dialog.
Then
> I clisck on the find button.  Then I highlight the messages and click
> delete(no NDR) the I select yes at the prompt.  Repeat for every Queue.
>
> Is there anyway to just delete all the bad Queues at once?  Or is there
some
> type of utility available>   BTW I am using Exchange 2003.
>
> Thanks
> Lee Allen
> Lee@doreyrealestate.com
>

> "Nick Cavalancia" <nickc@remove-comsphere.com> wrote in message
> > Those are most likely NDRs (non delivery receipts) because the bogus
> sender
> > sent an email to a guessed email address in your domain.  Since the
sender
> > is bogus (Enter7), it sits in your queue.
> >
> > Delete 'em all.
> >
> > --
> > Nick Cavalancia
> > MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI
> > nickc@remove-comsphere.com
> > Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key"
> > Web: http://www.comsphere.com
> > Ph: 954.275.0114
> > Fax: 954.791.6763
> > "Eddie" <sservavi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Whenever I go into the SMTP Virtual Server Queue on my
> > > exchange server I notice their are several e-mails waiting
> > > to be routed out from several domain names like Enter7 or
> > > funfortonight sending from "Postmaster".  They always sit
> > > in the Queued status but never get delivered. Obviously
> > > they are spammers trying to relay but they can't. Over a
> > > weekend I notice somtimes 20 or 30 sit in the Queue.  I
> > > have configured the options that Micorosoft has suggested
> > > to not allow relaying. Is thier any way to prevent these
> > > Spammers from hanging in my Queue without interrupting my
> > > companies regular e-mail. I hate haven't to go in and
> > > clean it out.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Ed
> > > sservavi@yahoo.com

0
nickc1 (118)

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

Automatically reply only works for internal senders
Help, When I setup out of office in the outlook 2003, only internal senders in the same exchange server receive automatical reply. Please help me how to fix this issue. Michael On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:03:01 -0800, Michael Tang <MichaelTang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Help, > >When I setup out of office in the outlook 2003, only internal senders in the >same exchange server receive automatical reply. > >Please help me how to fix this issue. > >Michael http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821881 "How to Modify Global Settings in Exchange System Ma...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

auto fill in customer when contact selected
Hello, I hope Bertil reads this :) or someone with the same knowledge :) In a case when a user selects a contact is it possible to auto fill in the customer related to the contact?? Any help mucho appreciated. You can do this using javascript. onchange function of the field. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "Ian" wrote: > Hello, > > I hope Bertil reads this :) or someone with the same knowledge :) > > In a case when a user selects a contact...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

Pop up alert when a new activity hits a queue
Hello, I have two questions : Is there a way to open a pop-up alert that would appear to a user screen when an activity is added to a queue ? Is it possible to use the PostURL function of the workflow to hit a custom service or Microsoft’s service to initiate an MSN or AIM messenger alert when certain events are triggered (creation of an entity for instance) ? Clo -- Clo ...

Automatically Filling Cells
Good Day, I have created a form for my company in Excel and we use it quite frequently and would like to know if I can make it so some of the fields are entered automatically and how I would go about it. There are 2 cells One for Department and the Second for Department Code. I'd like to make it so when I select the Department from the list it automatically enters the code in the next field. Is this possible?? Thank you Jon Hi Jon yes it is possible using a mix of data validation / range names & VLOOKUP function let's assume that the form that you're using is o...

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...

Wanna Tell Your Boss To Kiss Off?
Make $500/Day in the next 24-48 Hours! No selling or prospecting! I will prove it. http://1step500aday.com --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20060314191900Y0s3DeB5 ...

CRM 3.0 bug sending to SMTP?
When I send email from the outlook client, there are absolutely no problems. However, when I send an email from the web interface, I get an error stating "Invalid Association" and "The request association is not valid." whenever the contents of the email contain a carriage return or formatted text (such as coloring). I have read the knowledge base article that associates this error with SMTP settings and authentication, however the same mail message will be processed if I remove the carriage return. Has anyone else encountered this problem? -Mike -- Micheal LoPatr...

pop and smtp errors unique to machine
I'm using windows xp home and i'm running into pop and smtp errors using outlook. i've verified on another machine that the account works and the settings i'm using are correct. when i try "test account settings" for the account using outlook the "log on to pop" fails and the "send test e-mail" fails. i've also tried using outlook express and i get the following pop error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Server: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, ...

Remove SMTP addresses from users
I created a policy to set up SMTP addresses, and it was applied to the wrong set of users. Now I want to remove that address from thosee users. I already created the correct policies, and applied it to the correct users. Now I want to clean up the SMTP addresses of the other accounts. How can I automatically remove those SMTP addresses? -- --- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego It is not straightforward but read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318...

SMTP
Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall allowing port 25 traffic), but no one can get their mail ... e.g. Start|Programs|Miscrosoft Exchange|System Manager|Servers|ServerName|First Storage Group|Mailbox Store (Name)|Mailboxes - their are all our mail boxes with mail in them, but NO ONE can get to them from Outlook 2003! What's up??? Can you see mailbox contents? Can you send message to other mailboxes on the server? Do you see those messages? Do you get any error messages? Mark White wrote: > Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall > a...

smtp debug
I have a user that has problems periodically sending email. After hitting Send/Receive, it sits there and then stops. The email remains in the Outbox. Here is a snippet from the debug log: (I have changed names) #####EXAMPLE 1 Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2800.1441 SMTP Log started at 09/16/2004 09:03:03 SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] Connecting to 'smtpserver.domain.com' on port 25. SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] srv_name = "smtpserver.domain.com" srv_addr = 123.45.67.900 SMTP: 09:03:04 [rx] 220 smtpserver.domain.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2657...

delete queue
dear, how can I delete queue? Thank you very much. Which Q, and which exchange version /Gill You don't - they are dynamic. You can bounce the service and empty queues go away - otherwise its like 5-10 minutes that we keep the queue around for performance reasons. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "jminxuan&q...

Using fill color in a logical argument
I'm trying to see if Excel 2000 has the ability to use the fill color of a particular cell in a logical argument. For instance if I have a column of numbers and I fill the cells of the column with say three different colors, can I use the different colors as a discriminator in a logical argument, i.e. add up all the red colored cells and all the green colored cells, etc... If this is possible how do you do it? Thanks. Brett, Chip Pearson describes a few useful methods i http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.ht -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Disclaimer using IMSEXT.DLL corrupting SMTP mail
I have installed IMSEXT.DLL and configured it to append a disclaimer to all outbound messages (article 258206). In order to work for our POP clients, I also set up the IMS to route all messages through the IS (article 238471). It works fine for messages originating from Outlook clients. Messages sent via SMTP from POP clients, or routed through the server via Custom Recipients get corrupted. Attachments (MIME) also get messed up. The simplest symptom to describe is that all text styling gets stripped. I haven't been able to find any more information on supporting non-Outlook client...

Multiple SMTP addresses & rules
Hi, I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to this account. But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for Jobs. But what's happening is the email system sees this account as jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the HR and Jobs folder with the rules. I've tried to create a "contact" for each sepa...

SMTP primary address
My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think How many primary SMTP address can e-mail enabled object can have? I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago, Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with AD and Exchange I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this migration When we run the script, we have realized a user had 4 primary SMTP address Set after script is done I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses, I am not sure what the receiver...

restrict SMTP HELO
Our ex2k server is recieving a lot of spam and junk from computers saying they are ourdomain.com when they HELO . An example of the command to our ex2k server would be: helo my.domain.com . Exchange then responds with a 250 and then they proceed to send our users tons of junk. Is there a way to filter based on what remote computers are heloing us as? Can an event sink handle this? Thanks in advance, Matt Yep. See example http://www.asaris-matrix.com/sweber/playground/downloads/forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=14 Also see http://spf.pobox.com matt wrote: > Our ex2k server is recieving a l...

block or delete e-mail to certain senders
How can I have all the incoming e-mails to a former employee be deleted or not create a NDR? Also, can I setup any kind of content filtering for incoming SMTP mail? I want to filter out much of the spam that comes in. Can it be done with either E2003 or ISA? thanks, Cal Create a mail-enabled group (do not put anyone in the groups), go to the Email Address tab for the group and add the email address of the former employee. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Cal Monroe" <cmonroe@hesinnovations.com> wrote in message new...