SMTP QUEUE #8

Good afternoon,
Am running exchange 2003 and have noticed that i have about a 100 entries
in my smtp - system manager queue for outgoing mail. Most of them say retry
but several say active.

I can delete the smtp queue in the winnt\exchsrvr folder but they re-appear.
this also have an impact on my internet bandwidth b/c when they begin
retrying to send - this slows our internet to a crawl for approx. 15 minutes
till they go back to the "retry" state.

we have a pix firewall so I am pretty sure no one is using my server as a
mail relay but having only 7 users on our lan using the system for email.

many of the domains listed in the smtp (system manager queue) have the
typical spammer names-  10101.com and so on-  i know that our internal users
are not emailing to these so my question is how can i stop this from
happening ?

thanks for your time,
--
Colin Camp
0

Look at the messages in those queues.  Most likely, they are from <> or
Administrator, or something similar, and are NDR's.

If this is the case, odds are that someone is spamming your domain by
sending to non-existant users.  Since you are using Exchange 2003, you can
enable Recipient Filtering - there is a tick box to "filter recipients who
are not in the directory".  I'd heartily recommend doing this.  You might
also look at implementing smtp tarpitting.

Also, just FYI, but just because you have a Pix, doesn't mean that no one
can relay off your server.  The relay settings are controlled by Exchange,
and while Exchange 2003 is relay-secure out of the box, if you have changed
the relay settings, it is possible that you are an open relay.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"ColinCamp" <ColinCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon,
> Am running exchange 2003 and have noticed that i have about a 100 entries
> in my smtp - system manager queue for outgoing mail. Most of them say
> retry
> but several say active.
>
> I can delete the smtp queue in the winnt\exchsrvr folder but they
> re-appear.
> this also have an impact on my internet bandwidth b/c when they begin
> retrying to send - this slows our internet to a crawl for approx. 15
> minutes
> till they go back to the "retry" state.
>
> we have a pix firewall so I am pretty sure no one is using my server as a
> mail relay but having only 7 users on our lan using the system for email.
>
> many of the domains listed in the smtp (system manager queue) have the
> typical spammer names-  10101.com and so on-  i know that our internal
> users
> are not emailing to these so my question is how can i stop this from
> happening ?
>
> thanks for your time,
> --
> Colin Camp

0
Ben

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

Pop up alert when a new activity hits a queue
Hello, I have two questions : Is there a way to open a pop-up alert that would appear to a user screen when an activity is added to a queue ? Is it possible to use the PostURL function of the workflow to hit a custom service or Microsoft’s service to initiate an MSN or AIM messenger alert when certain events are triggered (creation of an entity for instance) ? Clo -- Clo ...

Mail merge #8
I have created a 19.2 mb 8 page newsletter. I want Kinkos to print it so that each newsletter copy is printed with an addressee on the front page. That means I have to do a mail merge. When I select "print to Kinkos file prep tool" it takes about 1 minute per copy and I have 300 addressees to mail to. That means 5 hours and probably will run out of memory or so says Kinkos pro. Kinkos says that I can also just take the mail list which is an MDB file and send it to them as a PDF file which I don't think can be done. Anyone out there who has been through this? Thanks, Jeff ...

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...

CRM 3.0 bug sending to SMTP?
When I send email from the outlook client, there are absolutely no problems. However, when I send an email from the web interface, I get an error stating "Invalid Association" and "The request association is not valid." whenever the contents of the email contain a carriage return or formatted text (such as coloring). I have read the knowledge base article that associates this error with SMTP settings and authentication, however the same mail message will be processed if I remove the carriage return. Has anyone else encountered this problem? -Mike -- Micheal LoPatr...

pop and smtp errors unique to machine
I'm using windows xp home and i'm running into pop and smtp errors using outlook. i've verified on another machine that the account works and the settings i'm using are correct. when i try "test account settings" for the account using outlook the "log on to pop" fails and the "send test e-mail" fails. i've also tried using outlook express and i get the following pop error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Server: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, ...

Why might some 'times' be sub-type 5 and some be sub-type 8?
Anyone have a possible explaination as to why I seem to be getting an inconsistent format on a column of times. I am downloading data from a active server web page that gives me data in excel format. The data I get is various columns of numbers , text and what looks like some times. The problem is that in my time column some of the rows are variable sub-type 5 (vbDouble) and some are variable sub-type 8 (vbString). This is producing problems for my code which is expecting all vbString type data. In general might someone think of a reason why some times come out type 5 and some ty...

Remove SMTP addresses from users
I created a policy to set up SMTP addresses, and it was applied to the wrong set of users. Now I want to remove that address from thosee users. I already created the correct policies, and applied it to the correct users. Now I want to clean up the SMTP addresses of the other accounts. How can I automatically remove those SMTP addresses? -- --- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego It is not straightforward but read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318...

SMTP
Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall allowing port 25 traffic), but no one can get their mail ... e.g. Start|Programs|Miscrosoft Exchange|System Manager|Servers|ServerName|First Storage Group|Mailbox Store (Name)|Mailboxes - their are all our mail boxes with mail in them, but NO ONE can get to them from Outlook 2003! What's up??? Can you see mailbox contents? Can you send message to other mailboxes on the server? Do you see those messages? Do you get any error messages? Mark White wrote: > Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall > a...

Making a number 8 digits long
Hi, can anyone help me?? I am trying to make a number in excel 8 digits long. I have a list of numbers that I have to import to another aplication and have to ensure all of them are 8 digits long. A large number of them are, but there are some that are 6 or 7 long. I am having to manually go through the list and add 0 (zeros) to the front of the number i.e. 01234567 or 00123456. Is ther a formular I can use to do this? Thanks Assuming your numbers are in column A, use this in a helper column: =3DTEXT(A1,"00000000") copy down as required, fix the values, then copy them to overwr...

smtp debug
I have a user that has problems periodically sending email. After hitting Send/Receive, it sits there and then stops. The email remains in the Outbox. Here is a snippet from the debug log: (I have changed names) #####EXAMPLE 1 Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2800.1441 SMTP Log started at 09/16/2004 09:03:03 SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] Connecting to 'smtpserver.domain.com' on port 25. SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] srv_name = "smtpserver.domain.com" srv_addr = 123.45.67.900 SMTP: 09:03:04 [rx] 220 smtpserver.domain.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2657...

delete queue
dear, how can I delete queue? Thank you very much. Which Q, and which exchange version /Gill You don't - they are dynamic. You can bounce the service and empty queues go away - otherwise its like 5-10 minutes that we keep the queue around for performance reasons. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "jminxuan&q...

Disclaimer using IMSEXT.DLL corrupting SMTP mail
I have installed IMSEXT.DLL and configured it to append a disclaimer to all outbound messages (article 258206). In order to work for our POP clients, I also set up the IMS to route all messages through the IS (article 238471). It works fine for messages originating from Outlook clients. Messages sent via SMTP from POP clients, or routed through the server via Custom Recipients get corrupted. Attachments (MIME) also get messed up. The simplest symptom to describe is that all text styling gets stripped. I haven't been able to find any more information on supporting non-Outlook client...

Multiple SMTP addresses & rules
Hi, I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to this account. But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for Jobs. But what's happening is the email system sees this account as jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the HR and Jobs folder with the rules. I've tried to create a "contact" for each sepa...

SMTP primary address
My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think How many primary SMTP address can e-mail enabled object can have? I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago, Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with AD and Exchange I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this migration When we run the script, we have realized a user had 4 primary SMTP address Set after script is done I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses, I am not sure what the receiver...

restrict SMTP HELO
Our ex2k server is recieving a lot of spam and junk from computers saying they are ourdomain.com when they HELO . An example of the command to our ex2k server would be: helo my.domain.com . Exchange then responds with a 250 and then they proceed to send our users tons of junk. Is there a way to filter based on what remote computers are heloing us as? Can an event sink handle this? Thanks in advance, Matt Yep. See example http://www.asaris-matrix.com/sweber/playground/downloads/forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=14 Also see http://spf.pobox.com matt wrote: > Our ex2k server is recieving a l...

Great Plains 7.5 and 8.0 in the same instance of Microsoft SQL Server
Hello to all, Would I be able to install Great Plains 7.5 and 8.0 in the same instance of Microsoft SQL Server? Is there some procedure for this? Richard, Each install of Great Plains requires its own instance of SQL Server since each needs a separate database called DYNAMICS. Victoria "Richard Padilla" <rsp@epm.net.co> wrote in message news:%23iGCOAx1EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... Hello to all, Would I be able to install Great Plains 7.5 and 8.0 in the same instance of Microsoft SQL Server? Is there some procedure for this? Richard, There is a way to do tha...

Email Queue Clients receiving failure email
I have set up queues in CRM and wehen emailing to them from the outside, the queues receive the emails and we can work with them. However, every time you email to them form the outside, the outside email will receive and error that the message could not be delivered. How can I stop the delivery error message from going out? Also, when the messages come in, they have warning on them that sender doesn't exits in CRM nor does the recipient. I totally understand the need for this in a CRM system. What I don't know is how and where do I add my Queue Email Addresses into my system so...

PIX SMTP Guard and SMTP Connector
Hi All, We have two exchanges like bellow ExchangeA---PIX A-------Internet--------PIX B-----ExchangeB Now PIX B's SMTP Guard is on. PIX A's SMTP Guard is off. Exchange A and ExchangeB are configured to communicate use SMTP connector. Is it ok to turn both PIX's SMTP guard on? Thanks George "George" <georgehsc@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >We have two exchanges like bellow > >ExchangeA---PIX A-------Internet--------PIX B-----ExchangeB > >Now PIX B's SMTP Guard is on. PIX A's SMTP Guard is off. Exchange A and >ExchangeB are...