SMTP primary address

My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think

How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?
I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with
AD and Exchange
I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
migration
When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP address
Set after script is done

I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses,

I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to destination,
Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????

I am thinking this is messed up (-:

http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523

Cheers
oz

Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu
____________________________
MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
Http://www.msexchange911.org
Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)
0
oz952 (210)

In news:8880A71A-AAAC-46AF-BED8-684AE84DFD8A@microsoft.com,
oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> typed:
> My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do
> you think
>
> How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?

One.

> I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
> Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes
> with
> AD and Exchange
> I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
> migration
> When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP
> address Set after script is done

Hmmm - so when you look in the users' e-mail address tabs in ADUC, you see

SMTP email1@domain.com
SMTP email2@domain.com
SMTP email3@domain.com

instead of

SMTP email1@domain.com
smtp email2@domain.com
smtp email3@domain.com

(the one in all caps is the default/primary).

I can't see how this could be possible. How did he do his scripting? I'm not
a scripting expert by any means, but something has gone terribly wrong if a
user has more than one address as default!

> I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy
> addresses,
>
> I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to
> destination, Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????
>
> I am thinking this is messed up (-:
>
> http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523
>

> Cheers
> oz
>

> Best regards, Good Luck
> Oz Ozugurlu
> ____________________________
> MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
> Http://www.msexchange911.org
> Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)

0
lanwench (7567)
4/27/2006 4:25:56 PM
objADUser.PutEx ADS_PROPERTY_APPEND, "proxyAddresses", Array("SMTP:" &
varAliasArray(1), "SMTP:" & varAliasArray(2))

It appears that primary smtp aliases are identified solely by the weather or
not “SMTP” is in caps.  There is nothing that prevent you from adding
multiple aliases with SMTP in all caps through scripts or ADSI edit.  Once
the condition exists, it cannot be corrected through the GUI.  When setting a
new alias to primary throught the GUI, it simply goes through the list until
it finds an alias with all caps SMTP, changes it to lowercase and stops.

The real question to be answered here is, “How will exchange react to this
condition of multiple primary smtp aliases?”  My gut tells me that it will
use the 1st one it comes to that has all caps SMTP.

Active Directory Administrator
Jason Pape

--
Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu

"oz@msexchange911.org" wrote:

> My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think
>
> How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?
> I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
> Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with
> AD and Exchange
> I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
> migration
> When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP address
> Set after script is done
>
> I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses,
>
> I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to destination,
> Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????
>
> I am thinking this is messed up (-:
>
> http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523
>

> Cheers
> oz
>

> Best regards, Good Luck
> Oz Ozugurlu
> ____________________________
> MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
> Http://www.msexchange911.org
> Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)
0
oz952 (210)
4/27/2006 4:53:01 PM
Explanation came From Jason Pape, who is our Senior AD Engineer, I am not a
scripting Kid, yet (-: working on it

But it is weird that we made me see thing in different way I think knowing
scripting is awesome, the was Exchange distinguish the Primary SMTP address
by reading the Capitalization, that is how exchange know which address is
primary, now if you try to do this within the GUI, exchange will tell you
sorry buddy you have one already, can not have another one
If you Fireup ADSIedit go to properties of same user add additional SMTP
addresses
Exchange gets Fulled and accept all those, SMTP addresses as primary happly
I am thinking Jason discovered something Cool

The question is which one is real Primary SMTP

I will test and post it later one

Thanks for the thoughts
Lanwench

--
Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:8880A71A-AAAC-46AF-BED8-684AE84DFD8A@microsoft.com,
> oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> typed:
> > My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do
> > you think
> >
> > How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?
>
> One.
>
> > I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
> > Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes
> > with
> > AD and Exchange
> > I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
> > migration
> > When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP
> > address Set after script is done
>
> Hmmm - so when you look in the users' e-mail address tabs in ADUC, you see
>
> SMTP email1@domain.com
> SMTP email2@domain.com
> SMTP email3@domain.com
>
> instead of
>
> SMTP email1@domain.com
> smtp email2@domain.com
> smtp email3@domain.com
>
> (the one in all caps is the default/primary).
>
> I can't see how this could be possible. How did he do his scripting? I'm not
> a scripting expert by any means, but something has gone terribly wrong if a
> user has more than one address as default!
>

> > I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy
> > addresses,
> >
> > I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to
> > destination, Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????
> >
> > I am thinking this is messed up (-:
> >
> > http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523
> >

> > Cheers
> > oz
> >

> > Best regards, Good Luck
> > Oz Ozugurlu
> > ____________________________
> > MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
> > Http://www.msexchange911.org
> > Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)

0
oz952 (210)
4/27/2006 5:04:01 PM
oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> wrote:

>My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think
>
>How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?

That depends on what you use to put those addresses into the
proxyAddresses property. :)

The ADUC has some "smarts" and prevents you from nominating more than
one address of any type as the primary address. But you can easily add
as many "primary" addresses as you'd like by using ADSIEDIT, LDP, VBS,
Perl, or anything else that uses LDAP or ADSI.

The more interesting question is which one of the several "primary"
addresses will be used when that mailbox emits a message. I think (but
I don't know) that the first one encountered when the proxyAddresses
property is enumerated will be used.

I also think that if you DO have more than one "primary" address for a
given address type that you won;t be able to use ADUC to correct the
situation. IIRC, ADUC will complain when it finds more than one
primary address of a given type and it won't make the change.

>I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,

Sure . . . if you're using the ADUC.

>Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with
>AD and Exchange
>I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
>migration

Uh-oh.

>When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP address
>Set after script is done

The only thing that makes an address a "primary" address is that its
address type is capitalized. E.g., SMTP vs smtp.

>I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses,

Of just modify the script to rewrite the addresses correctly and then
modify the existing addressProxies property values.

>I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to destination,
>Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????

That would be my guess. But, since having multiple "primary" addresses
is something that should never happen, the real answer is probably "it
depends".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> wrote:

>objADUser.PutEx ADS_PROPERTY_APPEND, "proxyAddresses", Array("SMTP:" &
>varAliasArray(1), "SMTP:" & varAliasArray(2))
>

>It appears that primary smtp aliases are identified solely by the weather or
>not �SMTP� is in caps.

That's correct.

>There is nothing that prevent you from adding
>multiple aliases with SMTP in all caps through scripts or ADSI edit.

Also correct. This is true of many things. It's also one of the
reasons MS puts those warning everywhere they suggest making a change
to the registry.

>Once
>the condition exists, it cannot be corrected through the GUI.

Also correct. The ADUC is "smart" enough to recognize that the
condition isn't one that it should allow and it refuses to make the
alteration.

>When setting a
>new alias to primary throught the GUI, it simply goes through the list until
>it finds an alias with all caps SMTP, changes it to lowercase and stops.
>
>The real question to be answered here is, �How will exchange react to this
>condition of multiple primary smtp aliases?�  My gut tells me that it will
>use the 1st one it comes to that has all caps SMTP.

How will it react? Well, it won't crash. And it'll use just one
address (i.e. it won't try to use several addresses as the "from"
addres). It'll probably also use the first primary address of a given
type it finds when it enumerates the proxyAddresses property. I don't
think that the retrieval order is defined for that enumeration, so it
mid seem to work one way for a while and then change after some
seemingly unrelated correction is made (e.g. a hotfix, service pack,
or a new release). I think the only way to describe that situation is
"undefined behavior".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--

Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)

LDIFDE adding multiple email addresses
Can you use ldifde to add multiple email addresses to a single user? eg. test1@domain.com, test2@domain.com. Sure. The AD Attribute to use is ProxyAddresses. If you are just wanting to modify a single user, LDIFDE is rather a waste of time, though. It's a bulk import tool. You should also be able to use ADModify for something like this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "rob" <rsl315@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137515696.607664.151920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

outgoing outlook email address
I have several account that come into Yahoo Plus! Mail. My outgoing email address is not the one I wish to displsy because of the other accounts' email addresses coming in. Is there a way to change the outgoing email address? ...

Accessing Address Book Security Feature
How do you disable the security function in Outlook 2002 that requires you to set a time limit of accessing your address book each time you want to send an e-mail? This feature can't be disabled. However you have recently applied SP3 for Office/Outlook 2002 (XP) take a peek at the following. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:352e01c4aad4$dbf3c070$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How do you dis...

SMTP Queue keeps filling
Hello, We are running Exchange 03 SBS with SP1 installed. In looking at the queues in ESM, I knotice that there are several thousand messages in the "Messages queued for defered delivery. Now ALL, and I mean every single message is sent from some email address (NOT A POSTMASTER, and NOT from my domain) to and bogus user AT MY DOMAIN. I open the Queue folder which is several Gigs and opened a message. It was genuine spam, not an NDR, sent to blahblah@mydomain.com. Every one of the messages is the same format. I have deleted messages untill I am blue in the face and the Defere...

SMTP Hang / metabase issue
We have on numerous occasions received the following error in the System log on our Exchange SMTP Gateway servers: Event Type: Error Event Source: IIS Config Event Category: Catalog Event ID: 51228 User: N/A Computer: XXXXXXXXXX Description: An error occurred while saving the metabase file. This can happen when the metabase XML file is in use by another program, or if the disk is full. Check for corresponding events in the event log for more details. ErrorCode : 0x8007000E When the error is occuring the particular server queues all mail. To recover from the error we have sim...

NRD Not Being Receive From E-Mail Address Send Outside The Network
Hi folks, Our agency is presently running AD and Exchange 2003, SP 2, running in Windows 2003 server, SP 1. I’m having an issue receiving NDR for any email address that is send to a address outside our network. I send an email to a bogus email address, internally I get an NDR, however, if send an email to a bogus address outside our network, I don’t get anything. I have search everything that is available to me, but can’t resolve the issue, I believe this is most likely a configuration issue at the SMTP connector. Can someone shed some light and help me out. Thanks, Tony Tony Why d...

Smart host in Exchange 2003 SMTP frontend
I have one e-mail domain say test.com. The problem is that I need to forward some e-mail addresses to different domain say test1.com (I have 10 such different domains). In my DMZ I have sendmail which is responsible for routing mails to these domains, for example: user1@test.com ->user1@test1.com user2@test.com->user2@test2.com and so on. If address is not in this table it is forwarded to my Exchange infrastructure (which is responsible for test.com). I want to get rid of sendmail and do this routing stuff with exchange smtp front-end. Of course I know how to do this through Exchang...

Backing up messages in smtp queue
We're looking for different alternatives for disaster recovery and one option is to backup the smtp queue directory. What we'd like to do is to backup all smtp messages that come through before it hits the mailbox. This way we can redeliver messages in case of a failure. Just wondering if anyone knows of a third-party tool that can do this? So instead of backing it up, I imagine you really want to intercept the messages and write them to a seperate queue that never gets delivered until a disaster? I imagine that queue can get pretty large. There are plenty of third party option...

How to Browse Global Address Book in OWA
How do you browse the Global Address book in OWA, like it comes up when you open the address booking in Outlook? Dear Fred, in current OWA built on 2000 and 2003 you can't browse the OWA as it appears in Outlook, you can search only, or you can use third party which allows you to borwse OWA, i don't know such third party but i know that there are some. but in Exchange 2007 "previous E12" this feature is available, so just wait for the Exchange 2007 :):) Regards Alaa Al-Ankar Blog: http://ExchGuru.Blogspot.com "Fred Smith" wrote: > How do you browse...

SMTP server Issues (Inbound)
Greetings all! I have just installed Windows 2k SBS w/ Exchange 2k on a server, the main roles of this box are Domain Controller, Exchange Server, IIS (OWA) and Terminal Server (SBS Makes you run everything on one box). My issue is with the Exchange server: First let me touch a few of the obvious things: The server is on an internal network behind a NAT router with a public IP address: Port 25 is forwarded to the internal IP address of the server and is set to "Extensible" Outgoing mail works fine. Incoming mail does not work from the outside world (Public Internet), but does ...

Problem finding duplicate email addresses
Hello, I am trying to compare two columns that contain email addresses. The goal is to identify email addresses that exist in both columns. I tried VLOOKUP, and Countif functions but I can't get them to return any results. I also did a copy and paste special (multiply) to make sure the formatting in both columns is the same. Column A has email addresses of people who read the email (total 168) I sent out, and Column C has all the email addresses (total 1938) it was sent to. Can anyone please help? Thank you! Sandeep You can go to Chip Pearson's web site, scroll down to the D'...

Not enough room to enter billing and shipping address on sales inv
There currently is not enough room to enter the full billing and shipping addresses required to ship outside of North America. We end up having to create it Word, print it on a label and stick it over the paper copy. When we email all invoices this definitely causes a problem. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsread...

How can a put a footnote on all outbound smtp mail?
Cheers http://groups.google.com/groups?num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=disclaimer+exchange "Oz" <oz@No.whey.com> skrev i melding news:e26j7tq78zoi$.bcy5peex0yam$.dlg@40tude.net... > Cheers ...

Blocking email address
we have exchange 2003 server. we wanted to block certain email address so that no one in our organization gets that email. Could anyone tell me how to acheive this? Install an antispam service. Perhaps IMF will allow you to do this. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "ANDY" <ANDY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44892250-76C8-418D-9705-DAE7F407A699@microsoft.com... > we have exchange 2003 server. we wanted to block certain email address so > that no one in our organization gets that email. Coul...

Different POP3 and SMTP server in OL97
Hi I am trying to setup OL97 up, so that i will receive internet mail from one POP3 server, but send mail from a different SMTP server. The "session login" name ans passwords are different for each server. If I try to set i up as one service, with different POP3 and SMTP servers there is no place where I can write the different user accounts and passwords. If i try to set it up as 2 different services, one for POP3 and one for SMTP, the machine insists that I input a value for both a SMTP server and a value for a POP3 server in each case. What am I doing wrong? -delfin Not sur...

lost mailbox, addresses and mail folders
Recently migrated from 98 2nd to XP Home edition. When I started computer, my default email program was Outlook Express, and all my emails, addresses etc were gone. I seem to recall a "rollback" option that would return me to 98. I really hate to undo a weeks' efforts in working around compatibility issues. Is there any way to find my lost messages and restore just them? HELP Thanks in advance for any assistance. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook...

How do I import my address book from my POP 3 Juno account?
I'm hoping to import my address book from my juno email on the web account to Outlook, and then to export it to my new Hotmail account. I seem to be botching it badly, so far. I was able to save my list to 'Recent Documents'. My efforts to COPY and Paste as an individual 'New Contact' result in partial information and the email address, phone number, etc. are missing. Are there step-by-step instructions to accomplish what should be a relatively easy task? Also, it looks as though Outlook has stripped all of my mail from my juno account. How do I send it b...

Address book clean up
I have a pretty big address book and I'd like to do some clean up. For one thing, I have a mixture of ways people are stored "last, first" and "first last" . Is there a global way to change that for everyone in the address book? Also I'd love to get rid of some strings in people's names like "(e-mail)", "(email)" and so forth. Is there a way to do that? (WinXP/ Outlook 2003) Regards. -- ------------ Michael Bierman Not sure what you mean by address book since Outlook does not have one. The address book is only a display of you...

How to get a specific contact to the top of address book...
I cannot figure out how to get a specific contact to be listed at the top of our address book even though it's out of alphabetical order. Running Server/Exchange 2003. Think on our old system all it took was a single space before the name, but that's not working. A comma, or other place holder character, appears to work, but looks bad. Thanks for any help. Scott I don't think you want to do that because if the mail users have auto check names then unless they type in the first character it will not find him. Just my opinion. "Scott" <Scott@discussions.m...

Sharing SMTP address spaces
Hi all, we have two domains with two exchange servers. (name@company1.com and name@company2.com) we want now use one smtp address space for both company's (name@company1.com) for both exchange server (2003 SP2) i must use these: non-authoritative recipients policies and an smtp connector to forward all mail through this connector to the other exchange. i have now these scenario. If a receiving system looks for a match and then forwards the message back to the original system when a match is not found, looping messages occur. How must i configure the two exchange domains for these sh...

Removing old smtp server
I had a front end relay server running Windows 2003 server, Exchange Server 2003, and GFI Mail Essentials. The server was having some problems so i setup another to take it's place. I did not follow any normal procedure for removing an Exchange server. I have since formatted the server. Can someone tell me the best practice at this point for removing the server from AD etc.? thanks, -- James Dear James, Open exchange system manager from any other exchange server, right click the server you have formatted and click remove server. It will remove the necessary entries from AD. Reg...

Outlook & memorized addresses
Hello everybody! Please help me. When I first time send mail from Outlook 2003 SP2 to someone, i need to type it in "To" field. OK. But, when I try to send 2nd and any further mail to this same email address, I just need to type first few letters and Outlook will offer me the rest of it. The problem is that I got a new PC with fresh instalation of MS Outlook. I have all my addresses in address book, but i need to first send mail to someone in case i get functions previously described. Is there any chance to migrate some file from old Outlook, the file which got memorized mail add...

External Mail addresses with same domain name
We have some POP3 mail account that are hosted remotely, however they have the same domain name as the internal addresses. Therefore the problem is that when internal users try and send to the external users exchange sends back an error saying address not found, unstead of sending it external. In 5.5 you could setup an external User and it worked fine, but in 2003 it doesn't work the same. Any suggestions? In Exchange 2000 you can configure SMTP servers with the option to forward messages with unresolved recipient names (within the same domain) to a specific host or IP address. ...

How do I know whether i have a POP3 or IMAP server and a SMTP server?
I have no idea what type of email that i have. The setup asks for whether I have a POP3 or IMAP server and the address of it. I don't even know what that means. The email I have is based from my school: albany.edu. The address I use to access the mail is https://webmail.albany.edu/src/login.php How do I figure out how to set up my Outlook? Also, I have another email address based on www.aol.com that I would also like to connect. How do I set that one up as well? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 1. Ask your school mail admin for that information - no one here would k...

Mail freezes in SMTP queue
I am having an issue with an Exchange 2000 Server the symptoms are: - Mail freezes in SMTP queue both externally and internally to the domain. - Exchange System Manages freezes when trying to access SMTP virtual server mail queue. - Restarting server resolves the issue but it returns in a week or so. - Clients are able to connect to mailstore and are able to process mail but of course no mail is sent or received. - I see no unusual logged events Any suggestions on how to proceed or troubleshoot welcome? Thanks for your consideration!! ...