SMTP primary address

My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think

How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?
I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with
AD and Exchange
I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
migration
When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP address
Set after script is done

I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses,

I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to destination,
Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????

I am thinking this is messed up (-:

http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523

Cheers
oz

Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu
____________________________
MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
Http://www.msexchange911.org
Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)
0
oz952 (210)

In news:8880A71A-AAAC-46AF-BED8-684AE84DFD8A@microsoft.com,
oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> typed:
> My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do
> you think
>
> How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?

One.

> I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
> Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes
> with
> AD and Exchange
> I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
> migration
> When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP
> address Set after script is done

Hmmm - so when you look in the users' e-mail address tabs in ADUC, you see

SMTP email1@domain.com
SMTP email2@domain.com
SMTP email3@domain.com

instead of

SMTP email1@domain.com
smtp email2@domain.com
smtp email3@domain.com

(the one in all caps is the default/primary).

I can't see how this could be possible. How did he do his scripting? I'm not
a scripting expert by any means, but something has gone terribly wrong if a
user has more than one address as default!

> I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy
> addresses,
>
> I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to
> destination, Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????
>
> I am thinking this is messed up (-:
>
> http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523
>

> Cheers
> oz
>

> Best regards, Good Luck
> Oz Ozugurlu
> ____________________________
> MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
> Http://www.msexchange911.org
> Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)

0
lanwench (7567)
4/27/2006 4:25:56 PM
objADUser.PutEx ADS_PROPERTY_APPEND, "proxyAddresses", Array("SMTP:" &
varAliasArray(1), "SMTP:" & varAliasArray(2))

It appears that primary smtp aliases are identified solely by the weather or
not “SMTP” is in caps.  There is nothing that prevent you from adding
multiple aliases with SMTP in all caps through scripts or ADSI edit.  Once
the condition exists, it cannot be corrected through the GUI.  When setting a
new alias to primary throught the GUI, it simply goes through the list until
it finds an alias with all caps SMTP, changes it to lowercase and stops.

The real question to be answered here is, “How will exchange react to this
condition of multiple primary smtp aliases?”  My gut tells me that it will
use the 1st one it comes to that has all caps SMTP.

Active Directory Administrator
Jason Pape

--
Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu

"oz@msexchange911.org" wrote:

> My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think
>
> How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?
> I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
> Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with
> AD and Exchange
> I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
> migration
> When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP address
> Set after script is done
>
> I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses,
>
> I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to destination,
> Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????
>
> I am thinking this is messed up (-:
>
> http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523
>

> Cheers
> oz
>

> Best regards, Good Luck
> Oz Ozugurlu
> ____________________________
> MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
> Http://www.msexchange911.org
> Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)
0
oz952 (210)
4/27/2006 4:53:01 PM
Explanation came From Jason Pape, who is our Senior AD Engineer, I am not a
scripting Kid, yet (-: working on it

But it is weird that we made me see thing in different way I think knowing
scripting is awesome, the was Exchange distinguish the Primary SMTP address
by reading the Capitalization, that is how exchange know which address is
primary, now if you try to do this within the GUI, exchange will tell you
sorry buddy you have one already, can not have another one
If you Fireup ADSIedit go to properties of same user add additional SMTP
addresses
Exchange gets Fulled and accept all those, SMTP addresses as primary happly
I am thinking Jason discovered something Cool

The question is which one is real Primary SMTP

I will test and post it later one

Thanks for the thoughts
Lanwench

--
Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:8880A71A-AAAC-46AF-BED8-684AE84DFD8A@microsoft.com,
> oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> typed:
> > My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do
> > you think
> >
> > How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?
>
> One.
>
> > I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,
> > Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes
> > with
> > AD and Exchange
> > I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
> > migration
> > When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP
> > address Set after script is done
>
> Hmmm - so when you look in the users' e-mail address tabs in ADUC, you see
>
> SMTP email1@domain.com
> SMTP email2@domain.com
> SMTP email3@domain.com
>
> instead of
>
> SMTP email1@domain.com
> smtp email2@domain.com
> smtp email3@domain.com
>
> (the one in all caps is the default/primary).
>
> I can't see how this could be possible. How did he do his scripting? I'm not
> a scripting expert by any means, but something has gone terribly wrong if a
> user has more than one address as default!
>

> > I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy
> > addresses,
> >
> > I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to
> > destination, Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????
> >
> > I am thinking this is messed up (-:
> >
> > http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/choosing_your_s.html#comment-16608523
> >

> > Cheers
> > oz
> >

> > Best regards, Good Luck
> > Oz Ozugurlu
> > ____________________________
> > MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
> > Http://www.msexchange911.org
> > Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog)

0
oz952 (210)
4/27/2006 5:04:01 PM
oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> wrote:

>My apologize for double posting, I love to hear from you guys what do you think
>
>How many primary SMTP address can   e-mail enabled object can have?

That depends on what you use to put those addresses into the
proxyAddresses property. :)

The ADUC has some "smarts" and prevents you from nominating more than
one address of any type as the primary address. But you can easily add
as many "primary" addresses as you'd like by using ADSIEDIT, LDP, VBS,
Perl, or anything else that uses LDAP or ADSI.

The more interesting question is which one of the several "primary"
addresses will be used when that mailbox emits a message. I think (but
I don't know) that the first one encountered when the proxyAddresses
property is enumerated will be used.

I also think that if you DO have more than one "primary" address for a
given address type that you won;t be able to use ADUC to correct the
situation. IIRC, ADUC will complain when it finds more than one
primary address of a given type and it won't make the change.

>I would say one, if I asked this question to myself a minute ago,

Sure . . . if you're using the ADUC.

>Here is the situation; I am in the middle of migration 2000 mailboxes with
>AD and Exchange
>I have AD admin with me, he script the SMTP Proxy addresses, for this
>migration

Uh-oh.

>When we run the script, we have realized  a user had 4 primary SMTP address
>Set after script is done

The only thing that makes an address a "primary" address is that its
address type is capitalized. E.g., SMTP vs smtp.

>I had to go back use ADSI edit and clean the other primary proxy addresses,

Of just modify the script to rewrite the addresses correctly and then
modify the existing addressProxies property values.

>I am not sure what the receiver would see when e-mail get to destination,
>Maybe first Primary on the top, ?????

That would be my guess. But, since having multiple "primary" addresses
is something that should never happen, the real answer is probably "it
depends".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.org> wrote:

>objADUser.PutEx ADS_PROPERTY_APPEND, "proxyAddresses", Array("SMTP:" &
>varAliasArray(1), "SMTP:" & varAliasArray(2))
>

>It appears that primary smtp aliases are identified solely by the weather or
>not �SMTP� is in caps.

That's correct.

>There is nothing that prevent you from adding
>multiple aliases with SMTP in all caps through scripts or ADSI edit.

Also correct. This is true of many things. It's also one of the
reasons MS puts those warning everywhere they suggest making a change
to the registry.

>Once
>the condition exists, it cannot be corrected through the GUI.

Also correct. The ADUC is "smart" enough to recognize that the
condition isn't one that it should allow and it refuses to make the
alteration.

>When setting a
>new alias to primary throught the GUI, it simply goes through the list until
>it finds an alias with all caps SMTP, changes it to lowercase and stops.
>
>The real question to be answered here is, �How will exchange react to this
>condition of multiple primary smtp aliases?�  My gut tells me that it will
>use the 1st one it comes to that has all caps SMTP.

How will it react? Well, it won't crash. And it'll use just one
address (i.e. it won't try to use several addresses as the "from"
addres). It'll probably also use the first primary address of a given
type it finds when it enumerates the proxyAddresses property. I don't
think that the retrieval order is defined for that enumeration, so it
mid seem to work one way for a while and then change after some
seemingly unrelated correction is made (e.g. a hotfix, service pack,
or a new release). I think the only way to describe that situation is
"undefined behavior".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--

Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)

Primary Keys and Relationships
Here's some information on what I'm trying to do. I own a greenhouse and I want to keep data on inventory, costs and sales. Be able to keep databases on the cost of supplies and be able to pull them together to determine the costs of pots, flats, and baskets. I have set up 4 databases Expenses (contains items not related to sell cost of plants, ie utilities, repairs,etc. Seeds and Plugs (contains product id, product name, product description, cateory ID, units in stock and unit cost Supplies (contains category id, product name, product description, supplier id, units in st...

Public folder address Exchange 2007
Hello I am trying to update the public folder address to Exchange 2007 version, but when i run the comamnd Set-AddressList "All PublicFolders" –RecipientFilter { RecipientType –eq 'PublicFolder' } It errors out with Set-AddressList : Cannot bind parameter 'RecipientFilter' to the target. Except ion setting "RecipientFilter": """ is not a valid operator. For a list of suppo rted operators see the command help. "RecipientType -eq 'PublicFolder' " at position 15." At line:1 char:53 + Set-AddressList "All Publi...

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

sdbus.sys DMA physical address always are the same
I use In-box driver for Pci-E SD host contoller, it will load sdbus.sys, sffdisk.sys and sffp_sd.sys driver. I use PciE analyzer to trace DMA operation. I found a strange situation about DMA operation: It's DMA physical start address always are the same. Ex: host device physical address 3f622000 ---> read data physical address 3f622080 ---> read data physical address 3f622100 ---> read data ..... physical address 3f622f00 ---> read data physical address 3f622f80 ---> read data // 4K page boundary <--- device ...

Making attribute which is a picklist a primary attribute/key
I have an entity with one attribute and is a picklist, I want it to be a primary attribute but it does not give me that option, it shows only nvarchar from the drop down list -- donn Yes you are right, primary field can only be nvarchar. You may change the schema name of primary attribute at first place but cannt change it's type. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gmail dot com "Donald" wrote: > I have an entity with one attribute and is a picklist, I want it to be a...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

Contacts in Outlook Address Book not consistently listed
My outlook 2007 address book lists names sometimes in Last, First order and some in First, Last order. The default display is Last, First and the properties of all names are showing up as Last, First BUT the Address Book does not always list them that way. What to do? Correction to posting: To clarify- I see that the Address Book lists NAME as the first category viewed. What i want is a list with LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. That appears as the Display Name. how can I place that as the first category? Or, how can I change the Name to Last, First. I have tried modifying the To...

Address Book Export Issues in Outlook 98 and O. Express
Outlook 98 is my primary email, and Outlook Express 6 is also used for newsgroups. When I open the Outlook 98 Address Book and go to File in the menu bar, both Import and Export in the drop down menu are grayed out. To enable these commands, a MS Knowledge base article said to switch to "Do not share contact info with other Outlook...", which I did. But now when I try open the Address Book from within in 98, I get the Express Address Book ("Main Identity) with no Contacts instead of the 98 Address Book, and Import and Export are still grayed out. Very confusing!! ...

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

Account Address on Case Record
Hello All, We are currently working with Cases and want to have the ability to pull address information from the account/contact record directly onto the case. Has anyone done this before or have any suggestions for achieving this functionality. Ideally, we would have the Lookup Address similiar to the Quote and Order. Thanks for the help! ...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

From: Address differences
This article describes exactly what my problem is. Is there any way to change it back how it behaved under Exchange 2000? "From: Address Differences Beginning with Exchange 2003 Microsoft is respecting the rules of mail transfer noted in RFC 822. This is a good thing. However, what people will notice may make them feel something is broken. The change comes because the Sender: header is now respected. If the address on the Sender: line is different from the address on the From: line then this discrepancy is reflected on the From: line as follows: owner-test-l@slac.stanford.edu on behalf ...

Invalid e-mail addresses when working with quick campaigns
Hi guys, Please could someone confirm or correct me on the following. Does CRM 3.0 stop creating e-mail mesaages as soon as it finds a contact with an invalid (no @ sign, just a full stop etc) e-mail address? I have 2 marketing list that have not been cleaned up in a while. When doing a quick campaign recently only about 10 mails were created per marketing list out of a possible 500 members on the lists. On investigation both marketing lists show that the messages were created up until an invalid contact was reached. All contacts after that were ignored. Regards I believe that members ...

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...

pop and smtp errors unique to machine
I'm using windows xp home and i'm running into pop and smtp errors using outlook. i've verified on another machine that the account works and the settings i'm using are correct. when i try "test account settings" for the account using outlook the "log on to pop" fails and the "send test e-mail" fails. i've also tried using outlook express and i get the following pop error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Server: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, ...

Incorrect email address resoultion
Hello: I have several individuals in my organization that complain about the incorrect email addresses being pulled from the auto-fil or resoultion aspect of MS Outlook 2002. Email addresses are automatically cached and made available the next time you create an email address, however here are my questions: 1. Is there a way to turn this functionality off, or manage it better? 2. Is there a way to clear this cache to avoid pulling up the incorrect emails that have been saved, usually by accident? (I know that you can delete individual name as it comes up on resoultion, but this...

CRM 3.0 bug sending to SMTP?
When I send email from the outlook client, there are absolutely no problems. However, when I send an email from the web interface, I get an error stating "Invalid Association" and "The request association is not valid." whenever the contents of the email contain a carriage return or formatted text (such as coloring). I have read the knowledge base article that associates this error with SMTP settings and authentication, however the same mail message will be processed if I remove the carriage return. Has anyone else encountered this problem? -Mike -- Micheal LoPatr...

Remove SMTP addresses from users
I created a policy to set up SMTP addresses, and it was applied to the wrong set of users. Now I want to remove that address from thosee users. I already created the correct policies, and applied it to the correct users. Now I want to clean up the SMTP addresses of the other accounts. How can I automatically remove those SMTP addresses? -- --- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego It is not straightforward but read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318...

Customer Address
Ok. I know it must be easy because I can't see any post on this but I have to ask anyway. I know how to run mailing labels using Crystal Reports but, I want it in a different format. I want to export to excel the First Name, Last Name, Street Address, City, Zip. I then want to sort by zip code and eliminate any duplicates in my customer base for mailing labels. I know I have some duplicates because the customer account number is the phone number and some customers have given multiple phone numbers. I tried a Query but I keep coming up with an error stating FirstName was inva...

Users not on global address book
I have had some problems with users not being added to the global address book. I have gone in and checked their accounts to make sure they didn't have the option of hide from address book checked. It also happens on some contacts. Some times if I delete them and add them back in, it works ok but lately I have had 4 that I just can't get to come up. Any ideas? Harry Poorman hpoorman@psu.edu Are you using Outlook 2003 Cached Mode clients? (Typically resolved by regenerating Offline Address Book and having clients download the complete OAB). http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/...

Primary Key in contacts?
Is there a primary key in the contacts database? I'm linking via Access and to be able to ID the records with guaranteed uniqueness would be helpful -- Jim Connell Custom Software 978-392-3462 www.custom-software.biz Contacts are not managed in a database form within Outlook. The Outlook address book was created to resmemble a rolodex with greater efficiency and functionality. It does not hold a primary key as a relational database would. The following article refers to primary keys and Outlook data: 292020.KB.EN-US OL2002: Creating Sequentially-Numbered Items in a Folder http:/...

Splitting addresses from outlook into cells
Hi, I want to get a list of email addresses from outlook into separat cells in Excel. So my data is like this: name1@email.com; name2@email.com; name3@email.com etc. etc. (there ar about 50 addresses in total). How do I get Excel to sperate these cells using the ";"? Thanks Kestre -- kestre ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kestrel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1908 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52428 Just remembered how to do it: Data / Text to colu...