SMTP not working for External use: Can't Send Emails

I am unable to send emails from my email address on my domain(netzpro.com).
I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send to
an email address that is on the same domain.

I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find any
problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
"Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
"Retry" state.

I am running Widow 2003 and Exchange 2003

0
TPSchaefer (48)

What events in your smtp log , or in your event logs ?
Your smtp connector "transfer to an active host" or "Resolve direct dns" ?

--
Bon courage,
Yannick DUCERF

"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
#yU#iaSsEHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I am unable to send emails from my email address on my
domain(netzpro.com).
> I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send to
> an email address that is on the same domain.
>
> I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find any
> problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
> "Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
> "Retry" state.
>
> I am running Widow 2003 and Exchange 2003

0
yducerf (64)
10/13/2004 2:53:42 PM
I am using internal DNS.

"Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> What events in your smtp log , or in your event logs ?
> Your smtp connector "transfer to an active host" or "Resolve direct dns" ?
>
> --
> Bon courage,
> Yannick DUCERF
>

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> #yU#iaSsEHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I am unable to send emails from my email address on my
> domain(netzpro.com).
>> I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send
>> an email address that is on the same domain.
>>
>> I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find any
>> problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
>> "Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
>> "Retry" state.
>>
>> I am running Widow 2003 and Exchange 2003

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/13/2004 4:09:53 PM
in teh SMTP virtual server properties, configure external DNS's from your
ISP.
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am unable to send emails from my email address on my
domain(netzpro.com).
> I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send to
> an email address that is on the same domain.
>
> I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find any
> problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
> "Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
> "Retry" state.
>
> I am running Widow 2003 and Exchange 2003

0
shitij_T (39)
10/13/2004 7:41:13 PM
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am unable to send emails from my email address on my domain(netzpro.com).
>I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send to
>an email address that is on the same domain.
>
>I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find any
>problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
>"Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
>"Retry" state.

And what is the reason for the queues being in the "Retry" state?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .

No difference

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I am unable to send emails from my email address on my
>>domain(netzpro.com).
>>I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send to
>>an email address that is on the same domain.
>>
>>I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find any
>>problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
>>"Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
>>"Retry" state.
>
> And what is the reason for the queues being in the "Retry" state?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

TPSchaefer (48)
10/14/2004 12:48:12 PM
tell me what AV you are running?

> Time out 4.4.7
>
> I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .
>
> No difference
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I am unable to send emails from my email address on my
> >>domain(netzpro.com).
> >>I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send
> >>an email address that is on the same domain.
> >>
> >>I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find
any
> >>problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
> >>"Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
> >>"Retry" state.
> >
> > And what is the reason for the queues being in the "Retry" state?
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
shitij_T (39)
10/14/2004 1:13:58 PM
Could you do this test on your exchange server ?

telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25

have you got a response ?
if not, check your firewall policy, or your isp ..

--
Regards,
Yannick DUCERF

"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
OoAcSwesEHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Time out 4.4.7
>
> I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .
>
> No difference
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I am unable to send emails from my email address on my
> >>domain(netzpro.com).
> >>I can get emails in fine to any email address on my domain.  I can send
> >>an email address that is on the same domain.
> >>
> >>I have used dnsstuff.com to ensure my DNS is correct and I can't find
any
> >>problems.  When I check the exchange Queue, the emails are stuck in the
> >>"Retry" state.  If I perform a force connect it will go back into the
> >>"Retry" state.
> >
> > And what is the reason for the queues being in the "Retry" state?
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
yducerf (64)
10/14/2004 1:20:10 PM
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Time out 4.4.7

That's the reason the messge was returned as undeliverable. For what
reason is the QUEUE in the retry state?

>I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .

If you don't know why the queues are in the retry state why do you
suspect it's a DNS problem?

>No difference

No kidding.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Time out 4.4.7
>
> That's the reason the messge was returned as undeliverable. For what
> reason is the QUEUE in the retry state?
>
>>I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .
>
> If you don't know why the queues are in the retry state why do you
> suspect it's a DNS problem?
>
>>No difference
>
> No kidding.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

TPSchaefer (48)
10/15/2004 3:20:43 AM
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
Connecting To mx2.mail.yahoo.com...Could not open connection to the host, on
por
t 25: Connect failed

> Could you do this test on your exchange server ?
>
> telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
>
> have you got a response ?
> if not, check your firewall policy, or your isp ..
>
> --
> Regards,
> Yannick DUCERF
> French Exchange Administrator
>
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> OoAcSwesEHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Time out 4.4.7
>>
>> I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .
>>
>> No difference
>>

>> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

> any
>> >
>> > And what is the reason for the queues being in the "Retry" state?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rich Matheisen
>> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/15/2004 3:21:42 AM
you made this test on your exchnage server ?
do you ping mx2.mail.yahoo.com from your server ?
do you ping 64.156.215.19 from your server ?
could you do an nslookup on your server ?

nslookup
set q=mx
yahoo.com

what is the response ?

--
#r6KmWmsEHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\>telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
> Connecting To mx2.mail.yahoo.com...Could not open connection to the host,
on
> por
> t 25: Connect failed
>

> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> > Could you do this test on your exchange server ?
> >
> > telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
> >
> > have you got a response ?
> > if not, check your firewall policy, or your isp ..
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Yannick DUCERF
> > French Exchange Administrator
> >
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> > OoAcSwesEHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Time out 4.4.7
> >>
> >> I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .
> >>
> >> No difference
> >>

> >> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in
message

> > any

0
yducerf (64)
10/15/2004 8:15:45 AM
I can ping the address fine, I just can't telnet to it.

I can perform an ns lookup as well and that fine

> you made this test on your exchnage server ?
> do you ping mx2.mail.yahoo.com from your server ?
> do you ping 64.156.215.19 from your server ?
> could you do an nslookup on your server ?
>
> nslookup
> set q=mx
> yahoo.com
>
> what is the response ?
>

> --
> Regards,
> Yannick DUCERF
> French Exchange Administrator
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> #r6KmWmsEHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
>> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>>
>> C:\>telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
>> Connecting To mx2.mail.yahoo.com...Could not open connection to the host,
> on
>> por
>> t 25: Connect failed
>>

>> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>> > Could you do this test on your exchange server ?
>> >
>> > telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
>> >
>> > have you got a response ?
>> > if not, check your firewall policy, or your isp ..
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Yannick DUCERF
>> > French Exchange Administrator
>> >
>> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
>> > OoAcSwesEHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> message

> send

>> > any
> the

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/15/2004 12:48:11 PM
and on the firewall side...is your server allowed to communicate on the smtp
port (25) with any ...

--
uiHB8UrsEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I can ping the address fine, I just can't telnet to it.
>
> I can perform an ns lookup as well and that fine
>

> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> > you made this test on your exchnage server ?
> > do you ping mx2.mail.yahoo.com from your server ?
> > do you ping 64.156.215.19 from your server ?
> > could you do an nslookup on your server ?
> >
> > nslookup
> > set q=mx
> > yahoo.com
> >
> > what is the response ?
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Yannick DUCERF
> > French Exchange Administrator
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> > #r6KmWmsEHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> >> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
> >>
> >> C:\>telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25
> >> Connecting To mx2.mail.yahoo.com...Could not open connection to the
host,
> > on
> >> por
> >> t 25: Connect failed
> >>

> >> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message

> > message

> > send

> > the

0
yducerf (64)
10/15/2004 12:57:55 PM
Yes, I have the port 25 mapped to the private ip address to the public

> and on the firewall side...is your server allowed to communicate on the
> smtp
> port (25) with any ...
>
> --
> Regards,
> Yannick DUCERF
> French Exchange Administrator
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> uiHB8UrsEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> I can ping the address fine, I just can't telnet to it.
>>
>> I can perform an ns lookup as well and that fine
>>

>> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>> > you made this test on your exchnage server ?
>> > do you ping mx2.mail.yahoo.com from your server ?
>> > do you ping 64.156.215.19 from your server ?
>> > could you do an nslookup on your server ?
>> >
>> > nslookup
>> > set q=mx
>> > yahoo.com
>> >
>> > what is the response ?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Yannick DUCERF
>> > French Exchange Administrator
>> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
>> > #r6KmWmsEHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> host,
>> > on

>> > message

>> > send

> in
>> > the

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/15/2004 1:23:19 PM
OK, but have you allowed ( in your firewall policy)  your server to connect
to all others smtp servers (all over the world) on the smtp port ?

rule like this, depend on your firewall version :
source    dest        prot.    status
yourserver     any    smtp    allow

--
e#xjkorsEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Yes, I have the port 25 mapped to the private ip address to the public
>

> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> > and on the firewall side...is your server allowed to communicate on the
> > smtp
> > port (25) with any ...
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Yannick DUCERF
> > French Exchange Administrator
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> > uiHB8UrsEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> I can ping the address fine, I just can't telnet to it.
> >>
> >> I can perform an ns lookup as well and that fine
> >>

> >> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message

> > host,

> > in

0
yducerf (64)
10/15/2004 1:54:32 PM
The router/Firewall I am using doesn't have "True" ACL lists.  In the NAT a
have placed a rule that NATs port 25 traffic from WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN

> OK, but have you allowed ( in your firewall policy)  your server to
> connect
> to all others smtp servers (all over the world) on the smtp port ?
>
> rule like this, depend on your firewall version :
> source    dest        prot.    status
> yourserver     any    smtp    allow
>

> --
> Regards,
> Yannick DUCERF
> French Exchange Administrator
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> e#xjkorsEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Yes, I have the port 25 mapped to the private ip address to the public
>>

>> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>> > and on the firewall side...is your server allowed to communicate on the
>> > smtp
>> > port (25) with any ...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Yannick DUCERF
>> > French Exchange Administrator
>> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
>> > uiHB8UrsEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

>> > host,

> can't
> stuck
>> > in
> into

> state?

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/15/2004 4:46:11 PM
hi guys, i have exactly the same problem. I have everything setup the way as
per the discussion in this chain. But in my case i see it only happening for
few specific addresses only. For eg: it works fine for yahoo, hotmail and all
other major domains.

Thanks
--Nisar
"TPSchaefer" wrote:

> All the queues in the retry state say
>
> "The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Time out 4.4.7
> >
> > That's the reason the messge was returned as undeliverable. For what
> > reason is the QUEUE in the retry state?
> >
> >>I have tried configuring the SMTP with and without my ISP DNS .
> >
> > If you don't know why the queues are in the retry state why do you
> > suspect it's a DNS problem?
> >
> >>No difference
> >
> > No kidding.
> >

> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
Nisar (1)
10/15/2004 10:19:03 PM
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>All the queues in the retry state say
>
>"The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."

I see someone else has already suggested using telnet from the
keyboard of the Exchange server. I also see that you fail when trying
to use port 25.

As an additional test, can you telnet on port 80 to a web server
that's on the Internet?

I'd suspect that you have a problem at your firewall that's preventing
you from using port 25. Can you run telnet ON the firewall? Can you
connect to a SMTP server from the firewall?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>All the queues in the retry state say
>>
>>"The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."
>
> I see someone else has already suggested using telnet from the
> keyboard of the Exchange server. I also see that you fail when trying
> to use port 25.
>
> As an additional test, can you telnet on port 80 to a web server
> that's on the Internet?
>
> I'd suspect that you have a problem at your firewall that's preventing
> you from using port 25. Can you run telnet ON the firewall? Can you
> connect to a SMTP server from the firewall?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

TPSchaefer (48)
10/16/2004 3:17:10 AM
The router doens't have any firewall rules set.  The firewall is setup for
NAT.  I have port mapping for the "Server List"  Public interface = 0.0.0.0
and Private = 10.0.0.10 Port = SMTP.

Incoming mail seems ok.

> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>All the queues in the retry state say
>>
>>"The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."
>
> I see someone else has already suggested using telnet from the
> keyboard of the Exchange server. I also see that you fail when trying
> to use port 25.
>
> As an additional test, can you telnet on port 80 to a web server
> that's on the Internet?
>
> I'd suspect that you have a problem at your firewall that's preventing
> you from using port 25. Can you run telnet ON the firewall? Can you
> connect to a SMTP server from the firewall?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

TPSchaefer (48)
10/16/2004 3:19:59 AM
"TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I can use telnet on the firewall but when I tell the firewall to use 25 it
>just times out.  if I use port 80,  It seems to get further.

Sounds like a problem on your firewall, then. Or maybe your ISP blocks
outbound port 25?

When you say "gets further" what do you mean? After you make the
connection, if you hit "Enter" you should get a response from the web
server and then be disconnected.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--
ObwX7ZtsEHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> The router/Firewall I am using doesn't have "True" ACL lists.  In the NAT
> have placed a rule that NATs port 25 traffic from WAN to LAN and LAN to
WAN

> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> > OK, but have you allowed ( in your firewall policy)  your server to
> > connect
> > to all others smtp servers (all over the world) on the smtp port ?
> >
> > rule like this, depend on your firewall version :
> > source    dest        prot.    status
> > yourserver     any    smtp    allow
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Yannick DUCERF
> > French Exchange Administrator
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> > e#xjkorsEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> Yes, I have the port 25 mapped to the private ip address to the public
> >>

> >> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message

> > can't
> > stuck
> > into

> > state?

yducerf (64)
10/18/2004 7:41:06 AM
OK, let me open the list for all

> in my opinion, the problem is on the firewall side
> test with a nat for all ports (not only 25) ?
>

> --
> Regards,
> Yannick DUCERF
> French Exchange Administrator
> "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> ObwX7ZtsEHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> The router/Firewall I am using doesn't have "True" ACL lists.  In the NAT
>> have placed a rule that NATs port 25 traffic from WAN to LAN and LAN to
> WAN
>>

>> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>> > OK, but have you allowed ( in your firewall policy)  your server to
>> > connect
>> > to all others smtp servers (all over the world) on the smtp port ?
>> >
>> > rule like this, depend on your firewall version :
>> > source    dest        prot.    status
>> > yourserver     any    smtp    allow
>> >

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Yannick DUCERF
>> > French Exchange Administrator
>> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
>> > e#xjkorsEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> the

> the

> de

> .

> in

>> > can't
>> > stuck
>> > into

>> > state?

> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
TPSchaefer (48)
10/18/2004 4:44:59 PM
Don't know if this is still an issue.  If you're running McAfee VirusScan
8.0i, then check the properties of the Access Blocking rule.  The last update
turned on blocking of Port 25.

"TPSchaefer" wrote:

> The router doens't have any firewall rules set.  The firewall is setup for
> NAT.  I have port mapping for the "Server List"  Public interface = 0.0.0.0
> and Private = 10.0.0.10 Port = SMTP.
>
> Incoming mail seems ok.
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>All the queues in the retry state say
> >>
> >>"The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."
> >
> > I see someone else has already suggested using telnet from the
> > keyboard of the Exchange server. I also see that you fail when trying
> > to use port 25.
> >
> > As an additional test, can you telnet on port 80 to a web server
> > that's on the Internet?
> >
> > I'd suspect that you have a problem at your firewall that's preventing
> > you from using port 25. Can you run telnet ON the firewall? Can you
> > connect to a SMTP server from the firewall?
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
Joe (497)

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

File format converter won't work
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C5F418.4A470D10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable After several months without problem, Publisher 2003 now will not open a = text file created in Word. I get this error message after I try to = insert it into a text box: "Publisher cannot start the file format converter C:\program = files\Microsoft shared\Textconv\msconv97.dll" I KNOW msconv97.dll is there. I've run the "Fix" program and also = uninstalled Publisher and then r...

Customizations not working
I added a few items to the industry drop-down box for Accounts and Leads. I save them, but they do not show up under the account's drop-down menus. If I go back into the settings, they are there. Am I missing a step? Tareef Hi Tareff - You need to publish you customizations via deployment manager And once you have published the customisations, run IISRESET on the CRM server "warrior2k@gmail.com" wrote: > Hi Tareff - > > You need to publish you customizations via deployment manager > > Hi, Using Deployment Manager, publish your contents, Also take the ...

Using Microsoft Map in Office XP
How can I use Microsoft Map in Office XP Excel? Thank you for looking. -- Cheers, John ...

Problem about using MoveTree to move group from one domain to another
Hi all, I met a problem when trying to move groups from one domain to another. My first question is when moving group from domain to domain, must the group under OU? Or must I provide the OU in 'sdn' and 'ddn'? Here is my situation, the group is directly under domain, not under any OU in source; and I want to move it to an existing OU of another domain. So here is my original command: movetree /start /s source_domain_DSA /d target_domain_DSA /sdn CN=group_name,DC=... /ddn CN=group_name,OU=Support,DC=... It cannot work. So temporily, I move the group to an ...

work book froze
work book will not close it keep saiding refernce not valved. On 1/16/10 10:04 PM, CARL MARTIN wrote: > work book will not close it keep saiding refernce not valved. You'll have to supply a whole lot more detail. We can't read you mind or screen. Exactly what did you do, and what is the text of the error? Are both Office and you operating system fully updated? -- -- Bobgreenblattatmsndotcom ...

Open Works Files in Excel
What is the best way to open a MS Works spreadsheet in MS Excel 2000/2003. (I do NOT have a copy of MS Works onsite to run any conversion) I know MS works should be banned forever but some people out there think it appeals to them. Thanx. Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.ht...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

Automatically reply only works for internal senders
Help, When I setup out of office in the outlook 2003, only internal senders in the same exchange server receive automatical reply. Please help me how to fix this issue. Michael On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:03:01 -0800, Michael Tang <MichaelTang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Help, > >When I setup out of office in the outlook 2003, only internal senders in the >same exchange server receive automatical reply. > >Please help me how to fix this issue. > >Michael http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821881 "How to Modify Global Settings in Exchange System Ma...

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

calculate age using BD and (TODAY)
I would like to have the current age calculated in an excel spread sheet and am having trouble with the formula. Any help appreciated. TIm =YEAR(B1)-YEAR(A1) will give you age in whole number. Regards. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD058324-F67A-4F84-8218-9FC403676E31@microsoft.com... >I would like to have the current age calculated in an excel spread sheet >and > am having trouble with the formula. Any help appreciated. TIm "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in ...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

Send as/Send-on-behalf
Hi, Our organistion uses Exchange 2003 as part of SBS 2003. We have two mailboxes which are used in addition to user mailboxes - they are "Information" and "Webmaster". Several people open these mailboxes from their PC's, and use the send-as/send-on-behalf permission to send from these email addresses (information@ and webmaster@). On client PC's, when they select "Information" in the "From:" field, the email raches the recipent, showing as if it came from Information@, but yet, when they put "Webmaster" in the "From:" field,...

Alien attachment being sent with my emails
I have one. An image that we use to customize bullets for bulleted lists in Microsoft Word is being sent as an attachment with all of my emails (Outlook). The attachment is from the Microsoft photo collection (waterlillies) and is being renamed image001.jpg when it is attached to my emails. It happens only from my computer on our network and doesn't show up in the message in the SENT file in Outlook. I have never created this attachment, and when I search for it on my hard drive and shared drive with the name "image001.jpg", no results are returned. When my co-worker forwards ...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

Email work book.
Hi I have a work book or spread sheet, when filled out it must be sent to a supervisor for verification or approval, After approval it needs to be sent to another person. I want to be able to do this in vba code. The code I am currently using to send to one person is below. Can someone please help me? Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Dim Mail_workbook_Outlook_1() Dim OutApp As Object Dim OutMail As Object Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0) On Error Resume Next With OutMail .To = "xxxxxx@xxx...

External Graphics
I would like to use Publisher to send out email based newsletters. While doing this, I would like it to link to external graphics that are on our web site. This would help both in the site of the orginal email being sent, plus allowing the most recent graphics to be viewed upon reading the email. Is there a way to easily do this in Publisher or should I find something else to use to send out email based newsletters and if so, does anyone have anything to recommend? -- Terry Fox www.playmor.com "Terry Fox" <TerryFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D7228...

using hyperlinks or macro buttons to time stamp
I am currently using this code to time stamp one cell, Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Target If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(Range("A2:CL2"), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Application.EnableEvents = False If IsEmpty(.Value) Then .Offset(0, 1).ClearContents Else With .Offset(0, 1) .NumberFormat = "dd mmm yyyy h:mm:ss" .Value = Now End With End If Application.EnableEvents = True End If End With End Sub Can I do this to two cells, using a hyperlink, as in: a1=start timer a2=end timer It is being used to track call center transact...

Stopping Emails being composed with a Blank Subject Field
Dear Readers I would like to make it impossible to send an email without first completing the Subject Field. I need this work in all versions of Outlook my girlfriend's organisation uses mainly Outlook 2002... The other week my girlfriend got repremanded for sending a mass email to people without a subject heading. A simple forgivable mistake than any user could make, and hardly a hanging offense. My responses was - well, if its company policy not to have blank subject headings - then they should encode this as part of their Outlook/Exchange deployment. I know why around Exchange/Outloo...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

Contacts "search" does not work
Hello, I have Outlook 2002. I installed Outlook 2003, upgraded my data, but then had to retreat back to OUtlook 2002 due to incompatibilitiy issues with 2003. I remembered to change my pst files back to 2002 -but things have got messy. One problem is that although all my contacts show up fine in the contacts folder, none of the contacts search facilities in Oulook work. So if I wish to search my contacts folder, I type in a name in the "search" box, but it finds nothing. Same if I wish to send an email to a contact - I press the "to" button in Inbox, but no contacts show ...

"Show Placeholders" in options/view menu does'nt work. #2
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

Outlook 2007: Creating new email
Hi, I have this problem with creating new emails since I've upgraded my Office to 2007 version: When I am creating a new e-mail the text field isn't empty (as it should be), there is an empty table in it. I have to delete it manualy every time I am creating new message :( I am not using signatures. Have You got any idea how to get rid of that table from new emails? Thanks, Maciej find and delete the email template (NormalEmail.dotm). look for it at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 i...

Invalid e-mail addresses when working with quick campaigns
Hi guys, Please could someone confirm or correct me on the following. Does CRM 3.0 stop creating e-mail mesaages as soon as it finds a contact with an invalid (no @ sign, just a full stop etc) e-mail address? I have 2 marketing list that have not been cleaned up in a while. When doing a quick campaign recently only about 10 mails were created per marketing list out of a possible 500 members on the lists. On investigation both marketing lists show that the messages were created up until an invalid contact was reached. All contacts after that were ignored. Regards I believe that members ...