SMTP domain name

Hello. I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a windows 2000
machine and a windows 2000 native domain. Problem I am
having is complaints from people regarding the smtp domain
name. Our Public domain name and our AD domain name are
different. Helo response from the server returns the AD
domain name and not the public domain name. This is
causing messages to be rejected by some SPAM filters. Has
anybody had this problem? Thanks
0
anonymous (74721)

Yes I have battled long and hard with this problem.  First thing to check is
Exchange System Manager, "Default SMTP Virtual Server" look in advanced
properties of the Delivery, for the field "Fully qualified domain name".
Give that a look/change.

Josh

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a windows 2000
> machine and a windows 2000 native domain. Problem I am
> having is complaints from people regarding the smtp domain
> name. Our Public domain name and our AD domain name are
> different. Helo response from the server returns the AD
> domain name and not the public domain name. This is
> causing messages to be rejected by some SPAM filters. Has
> anybody had this problem? Thanks

0
jstraub (5)
2/13/2004 8:44:10 PM
Will try it Josh. I am glad someone else has seen the
problem..Dave

0
anonymous (74721)
2/13/2004 9:17:48 PM
Josh I am on Exchange 5.5 don't see a Default Virtual SMTP
server??
Dave

I only have experience in Exchange 2000, sorry :(  I would check the MS
Knowledge Base for Product "Exchange Server 5.5" and use keywords "smtp
server domain name".

Josh

"Dave" <isabella_d@sunybroome.edu> wrote in message
> Josh I am on Exchange 5.5 don't see a Default Virtual SMTP
> server??
> Dave

0
jstraub (5)
2/13/2004 11:14:24 PM
Josh,

Found solution. You must change the primary DNS suffix to
the public domain name on a Windows 20000 server. Go to
system applet..network ID..properties...more..set primary
DNS suffix to public domain name. Yes it will require a
reboot. Seems to have no ill effect on the machine or
services.

Dave

Problem about using MoveTree to move group from one domain to another
Hi all, I met a problem when trying to move groups from one domain to another. My first question is when moving group from domain to domain, must the group under OU? Or must I provide the OU in 'sdn' and 'ddn'? Here is my situation, the group is directly under domain, not under any OU in source; and I want to move it to an existing OU of another domain. So here is my original command: movetree /start /s source_domain_DSA /d target_domain_DSA /sdn CN=group_name,DC=... /ddn CN=group_name,OU=Support,DC=... It cannot work. So temporily, I move the group to an ...

Named printers redirection
I know about most of those, but for Payroll, I see nothing for posting reports to redirect them somewhere under named printers. Also, like in some other posts, I have nothing at all for manufacturing. But in this post I was trying to redirect all the payroll posting reports, but I see no task description for posting reports under the payroll series. Thanks for you help. ------------------------ Under each of the series are Posting Reports. Is that what you are looking for? David Musgrave [MSFT] Original Developer of Named Printers Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MB...

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

Downloaded Transaction change names
When I download my credit card transactions from Chase, sometimes the merchant names get matched with the wrong merchant. For instance, "Nugget Market" comes accross as "Central City Garage", and selects the car expense categories. I checked the "preferred Payee Names" screen to be sure there wasn't a connection there -- there isn't. How can Money screw up a payee name so totally, and can it be fixed? Thanks to any kind soul out there in the electronic world! ...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

Migrating Mailboxes to a New Domain
Ok, here is the scenario, we are migrating all of our Exchange mailboxes from domainA to domainB, each domain has it's own seperate Exchange system (both 2003) Each user in domainA uses a single Outlook profile with multiple mailboxes attached. In addition to the mailboxes, some users have personal folders connected to their Outlook. I created a test user account and mailbox in domainA and I attatched several mailboxes to the user profile along with a persoanl folder. The user account and computer were both migrated to domainB by way of the ADMT. The test user mailbox was then migrated o...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

Link name of the sheet to a cell.
Hi all, I am trying to link the name of the sheet (in the tab at the bottom of the workbook) so it appears in a cell. Cheers =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"),1)+1,256 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Try one of the following formulas (note: the workbook has to be saved before it'll work) File path and file name: =CELL("filename",A1) File path only =LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1) File name only =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CEL...

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...

Copying or merging local and domain profiles
I need some help with user accounts and profiles. Here's the mess I'm in. I have a notebook PC that was until 2 days ago running Vista Business SP1. When I had a job I was a member of a domain called SSK, and I had a user account called RowanB (which is also the name of my PC). I used to log on using the built in finger print reader (managed by HP Credentials Manager), and since I lost my job 1 year ago I've continued to use this account, but without being able to connect to my old company's network or the domain controller. This is the account where I have many tho...

CRM 3.0 bug sending to SMTP?
When I send email from the outlook client, there are absolutely no problems. However, when I send an email from the web interface, I get an error stating "Invalid Association" and "The request association is not valid." whenever the contents of the email contain a carriage return or formatted text (such as coloring). I have read the knowledge base article that associates this error with SMTP settings and authentication, however the same mail message will be processed if I remove the carriage return. Has anyone else encountered this problem? -Mike -- Micheal LoPatr...

pop and smtp errors unique to machine
I'm using windows xp home and i'm running into pop and smtp errors using outlook. i've verified on another machine that the account works and the settings i'm using are correct. when i try "test account settings" for the account using outlook the "log on to pop" fails and the "send test e-mail" fails. i've also tried using outlook express and i get the following pop error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Server: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, ...

Exchange 5.5 issue in windows 2003 domain
Hi, we are in a process of windows 2003 migration, and we are doing lab test first. we have installed Exchange 5.5 on windows 2000 server which is a member server of our windows 2003 domains. Now when i have created users in windows 2003 and aslo mailbox on Exchange 5.5 server. when i am trying to configure the mail box on client's side i am not able to resolve or check name for windows 2003 domain users.Client is alo part of windows 2003 domain. pls update me? Vimal Hi , pls help me urgently in this. waiting for ur reply vimal >-----Original Message----- >Hi, &g...

Creating names
Hi I was recently asked in a training class why a person would use Insert Name Create and I did not know about this. I usually show my students how to define names from selected cells. Could you please give me an example of when I might use Create and what does the dialog box mean that pops up Top Row, Left Column etc.. Many thanks Ann See: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >I was recently asked in a training class why a person >would use Insert Name Create and I did not know about >this. ...

Function for transforming long file name in 8.3 format
Hi everybody, I hope not being OT here. I have a long list of names of files in a column (obtained with JDirPrinter utility). I would like to sort the column in ascending 8.3 DOS format name. That is, I need to create or use a function that takes as input a long file name as string, and outputs a short 8.3 file name. Is it possible? Thanks a lot Ciao from Italy Claudio > outputs a short 8.3 file name. Hi. Here's one way: Function ShortName(sFilePath As String) As String '// VBA Library Reference: Microsoft Scripting Runtime Dim fso Set fso = CreateObject("Scriptin...

Problem accessing OWA from other domains.
Hello, We have a problem with users from different domains trying to access mailbox using OWA 2003 located in our domain. User gets prompted for credentials, it looks like is being authenticated but after a minute or so Explorer shows "page cannot be displayed" User from our domain use OWA without any problems. This is our setup: Domain A is our w2k3 root domain. We have 5 child domains B, C, D, E, F Each domain except for A (root) has an Exchange 2003 server, but only my domain - B has the OWA installed on a front end server. We have trusts in place between all domains a...

Can one Exchange 2003 (SBS2003) host email for two separate domains
Is it possible for one Exchange server running in SBS2003 to host email for two separate domains? If yes, how would that be setup? Thanks in advance. TTFN JMMach > Is it possible for one Exchange server running in SBS2003 to host email > for two separate domains If yes, how would that be setup? Yes. The base requirement is just to set up recipient policies for each domain you want to receive email for. If you need to segregate the users from each other it gets a little more complex, setting up seperate OUs and address lists for each domain, etc. See this link: http://www...

Underlying connection was closed. Remote name could not be resolve
Hi, I am trying to add a webservice.I provide a reference to the wsdl file on the server. It works fine when I compile the code on my machine. But on the server, I get the above error with the same compiled code. UNDERLYING CONNECTION WAS CLOSED.REMOTE NAME COULD NOT BE RESOLVED. I read some of the articles which indicate a problem with the proxy server but our client does not have any proxy server. Their server is behind a firewall though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Remove SMTP addresses from users
I created a policy to set up SMTP addresses, and it was applied to the wrong set of users. Now I want to remove that address from thosee users. I already created the correct policies, and applied it to the correct users. Now I want to clean up the SMTP addresses of the other accounts. How can I automatically remove those SMTP addresses? -- --- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego It is not straightforward but read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318...

SMTP
Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall allowing port 25 traffic), but no one can get their mail ... e.g. Start|Programs|Miscrosoft Exchange|System Manager|Servers|ServerName|First Storage Group|Mailbox Store (Name)|Mailboxes - their are all our mail boxes with mail in them, but NO ONE can get to them from Outlook 2003! What's up??? Can you see mailbox contents? Can you send message to other mailboxes on the server? Do you see those messages? Do you get any error messages? Mark White wrote: > Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall > a...

smtp debug
I have a user that has problems periodically sending email. After hitting Send/Receive, it sits there and then stops. The email remains in the Outbox. Here is a snippet from the debug log: (I have changed names) #####EXAMPLE 1 Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2800.1441 SMTP Log started at 09/16/2004 09:03:03 SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] Connecting to 'smtpserver.domain.com' on port 25. SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] srv_name = "smtpserver.domain.com" srv_addr = 123.45.67.900 SMTP: 09:03:04 [rx] 220 smtpserver.domain.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2657...