SMTP connector with outbound security enabled, enables authentication for all other connectors!!?!

Hi,

*I have so far tested this on two Exchange Orgs. One being our live platform
and the other our test enviroment. Both are running Active Directory native
mode for 2003, with Exchange 2003 and Exchange SP1*.

Right this is my scenario:

I have two SMTP connectors, one is the default 'Internet' with a cost of 1
and address space of *. The other is called 'Admin users' has the a cost of
20 with the address space of * also. Our Front end exchange servers; let's
call them: 'EXFE1 and EXFE2' are the local bridgeheads for both connectors.

The Internet connector by default allows everyone to route through it apart
from the security group 'Admin users'. The Admin users connector by default
rejects messages from everyone apart from the 'Admin users' security group
(and before you ask I have set the reg key that enables connector
restrictions on the bridgehead servers for the connector/s).

The only other difference is that the 'Internet' connector uses DNS to route
messages whilst the 'Admin users' connector forwards to a smarthost which I
have enabled authentication for under 'outbound security'. The reason for
this is the smarthost the connector forwards onto needs authentication
before it accepts the mail. I have set this up as basic authentication, as
the smarthost uses a non directory service account.

Once the above is implemented the 'Admin users' can send mail fine, and they
are routing through the 'Admin users' connector and not the 'Internet'
connector correctly which is great - this can be seen by clicking on the
front end/s in ESM and clicking on 'Queues'

When viewing the header of an email sent by anyone in the 'Admin users'
security group you can see the front ends deliver the mail to the smarthost
and then the smarthost delivers the mail to the recipient/s.

However this is when I noticed that all mail going out by the 'Internet'
connector started becoming queued. All other users are still correctly
routing through the 'Internet' connector but all the queues I noticed just
sat there saying 'retry'.

for example when looking at 'Queues' under one of the Front Ends in ESM:

Admin users - abc.com (SMTP connector) displays either active or ready
Internet - xyz.com (SMTP connector) displays retry
Internet - contoso.com (SMTP connector) displays retry
Admin users - xxx.com (SMTP connector) displays either active or ready
Internet - hackers.net (SMTP connector) retry

If you highlight one of these you get more information under 'additional
queue information' at the bottom of the window as to what the state of the
connection is.

For all that are using the 'Internet' connector I get an error stating
authentication failed!

When I go and check the 'outbound security' settings for the 'Internet'
connector it is set to 'anonymous' as it was in the first place...

Am I missing something??? Is this a bug??? Why when i'm setting
authentication up on one SMTP connector is it affecting the other?

Can anyone shed some light?

Oliver

hi oliver!

have you implemented two smtp virtual servers on the frontend servers, one
for the internet and one for the admin users connection?

gerald aigenbauer.

"Oliver Moazzezi" <oliverREMOVESPAM@cobweb.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]
>

> Admin users - abc.com (SMTP connector) displays either active or ready
> Internet - xyz.com (SMTP connector) displays retry
> Internet - contoso.com (SMTP connector) displays retry
> Admin users - xxx.com (SMTP connector) displays either active or ready
> Internet - hackers.net (SMTP connector) retry
>

> If you highlight one of these you get more information under 'additional
> queue information' at the bottom of the window as to what the state of the
> connection is.
>
> For all that are using the 'Internet' connector I get an error stating
> authentication failed!
>
> When I go and check the 'outbound security' settings for the 'Internet'
> connector it is set to 'anonymous' as it was in the first place...
>
> Am I missing something??? Is this a bug??? Why when i'm setting
> authentication up on one SMTP connector is it affecting the other?

0
ga8086 (1)

------=_NextPart_000_0525_01C56C18.853B5440

Hello Oliver,

Please make sure that you are not setting the outbound security options =
on the SMTP virtual server. Verify that you are setting this on the =
connectors.=20

If you set outbound security options on one connector, it should not =
affect the other. If you re-verify, and you still get the same results, =
please let us know.

Thanks.

Ade

"Oliver Moazzezi" <oliverREMOVESPAM@cobweb.co.uk> wrote in message =
[...]

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello Oliver,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please make sure that you are not =
setting the=20
outbound security options on the SMTP virtual server. Verify that you =
are=20
setting this on the connectors. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you set outbound security options on =
one=20
connector, it should not affect the other. If you re-verify, and you =
still get=20
the same results, please let us know.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ade</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>"Oliver Moazzezi" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:oliverREMOVESPAM@cobweb.co.uk">oliverREMOVESPAM@cobweb.co.=
uk</A>&gt;=20
wrote in message <A=20
href=3D"news:uWUuFXDbFHA.3684@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl">news:uWUuFXDbFHA.3684=
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">Hi,<BR><BR>*I=20
  have so far tested this on two Exchange Orgs. One being our live=20
  platform<BR>and the other our test enviroment. Both are running Active =

  Directory native<BR>mode for 2003, with Exchange 2003 and Exchange=20
  SP1*.<BR><BR><BR>Right this is my scenario:<BR><BR>I have two SMTP =
connectors,=20
  one is the default 'Internet' with a cost of 1<BR>and address space of =
*. The=20
  other is called 'Admin users' has the a cost of<BR>20 with the address =
space=20
  of * also. Our Front end exchange servers; let's<BR>call them: 'EXFE1 =
and=20
  EXFE2' are the local bridgeheads for both connectors.<BR><BR>The =
Internet=20
  connector by default allows everyone to route through it apart<BR>from =
the=20
  security group 'Admin users'. The Admin users connector by =
default<BR>rejects=20
  messages from everyone apart from the 'Admin users' security =
group<BR>(and=20
  before you ask I have set the reg key that enables =
connector<BR>restrictions=20
  on the bridgehead servers for the connector/s).<BR><BR>The only other=20
  difference is that the 'Internet' connector uses DNS to =
route<BR>messages=20
  whilst the 'Admin users' connector forwards to a smarthost which =
I<BR>have=20
  enabled authentication for under 'outbound security'. The reason =
for<BR>this=20
  is the smarthost the connector forwards onto needs =
authentication<BR>before it=20
  accepts the mail. I have set this up as basic authentication, =
as<BR>the=20
  smarthost uses a non directory service account.<BR><BR><BR>Once the =
above is=20
  implemented the 'Admin users' can send mail fine, and they<BR>are =
routing=20
  through the 'Admin users' connector and not the =
'Internet'<BR>connector=20
  correctly which is great - this can be seen by clicking on =
the<BR>front end/s=20
  in ESM and clicking on 'Queues'<BR><BR><BR>When viewing the header of =
an email=20
  sent by anyone in the 'Admin users'<BR>security group you can see the =
front=20
  ends deliver the mail to the smarthost<BR>and then the smarthost =
delivers the=20
  mail to the recipient/s.<BR><BR>However this is when I noticed that =
all mail=20
  going out by the 'Internet'<BR>connector started becoming queued. All =
other=20
  users are still correctly<BR>routing through the 'Internet' connector =
but all=20
  the queues I noticed just<BR>sat there saying 'retry'.<BR><BR>for =
example when=20
  looking at 'Queues' under one of the Front Ends in =
ESM:<BR><BR><BR>Admin users=20
  - abc.com (SMTP connector) displays either active or ready<BR>Internet =
-=20
  xyz.com (SMTP connector) displays retry<BR>Internet - contoso.com =
(SMTP=20
  connector) displays retry<BR>Admin users - xxx.com (SMTP connector) =
displays=20
  either active or ready<BR>Internet - hackers.net (SMTP connector)=20
  retry<BR><BR><BR>If you highlight one of these you get more =
information under=20
  'additional<BR>queue information' at the bottom of the window as to =
what the=20
  state of the<BR>connection is.<BR><BR>For all that are using the =
'Internet'=20
  connector I get an error stating<BR>authentication failed!<BR><BR>When =
I go=20
  and check the 'outbound security' settings for the =
'Internet'<BR>connector it=20
  is set to 'anonymous' as it was in the first place...<BR><BR>Am I =
missing=20
  something??? Is this a bug??? Why when i'm setting<BR>authentication =
up on one=20
  SMTP connector is it affecting the other?<BR><BR><BR>Can anyone shed =
some=20
  =
light?<BR><BR>Oliver<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_000_0525_01C56C18.853B5440--

0
Ade (80)
6/8/2005 2:55:02 PM
Hi guys,

We only have the 1 virtual SMTP server on the Front End servers. and just to
confirm I haven't enabled outbound security here.

I have simply enabled it on the 'Admin users' SMTP connector found under
\Routing Groups\First Routing Group\Connectors in ESM.

It's a really weird problem isn't it..

Oliver

need to be able to set security on the buttons on the custom keybo
need to be able to set security on the buttons on the custom keyboard especially the minus key . any user can refund an item. when the minus key is pressed it refunds an item this is a security issuse as the user can then press the plus symbol and the item can be refunded multiple times. these action buttons need to be locked down and potentially a report should be availble to the administrators so they can see staright away which items have which security levels assigned against them .To hard to try and track each shop as they all require different keyboards and differtent security s...

SMTP restrictions #2
A few questions: If I configure the "Limit Message Size(KB)" does this pertain to the attachments as well? Also, does it affect both inbound and outbound? If the "Limit Message Size" is exceeded by the attachment does the attachment get stripped and the message (body) go through? If nothing goes through, does the sender recieve an error? Sorry so many questions. Thanks! Message size is the sum of the headers, body and the attachment. There is no setting specifically for the attachment size. When there is a violation, the entire message is bounced back to the send...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

unauthorized password and security question change
I lost ability to log into my Windows Live hotmail acct last night due to my password being changed without my knowledge. I was not able to reset my password because my security question was also eliminated and an alternative email address that belongs to an unknown person was entered instead. So now I cannot request password info without a total stranger receiving it. I need this fixed and have spent all night trying to find a real person to talk to, to help me with this. I had to set up a second email acct just to engage in this discussion, but it does not help me gain contro...

[2003] stops before data section in smtp conversation
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 server with ISA 2004 and the server doesn't send email correct to a remote smtp server. After the helo,mail from, rcpt to section he doesn't send the data section. The server is able to receive email. Does somebody have any clue why I'm unable to send? Thanks in advance Maurice Lucas This link maybe can help you http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx "M.S. Lucas" <MSLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40C7EB2B-DDF9-4E60-8F69-8AB82C298874@microsoft.com... > Hello, >...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

Security: how to reset all roles/tasks back to default?
Hello, is there a way to reset all roles and tasks back to default settings? Thx G ...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Amador I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something somewhere. But to explain further....... If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say fred@company.com to Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them. Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to paul@hotmail.com so thats ok. Any help please Paul &...

Country codes
I'm trying to allow our CSRs to add country codes when they are setting up new customers, but they are getting a security error message. I can't figure out what they need access to as part of their security role. You can enable the Security Task ID "CARD_0201*" for the Role ID "CUSTOMER SERVICE REP*". (I guess I got the Role ID right which is setup for your CSRs). Once you enable this, you can open the Security Task ID "CARD_0201*" on Security Task Setup form. Select the Product "Microsoft Dynamics GP", select the Type "Windows"...

Connectors in Excel 2003
When using autoshape connectors in Excel 2003, is there a way or an add-in so that lines indicate when they cross each other. Sue ...

XP security settings to send exe files
What security changes do I have to make to the XP operating system to allow outlook xp to send exe files? http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm#ol2002 It is not the XP operating system, but a registry tweak. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Randy <randy@nwinds.com> asked: | What security changes do I have to make to the XP operating system to | allow outlook xp to send exe files? ...

SMTP Queue Growth
hi i am facing problem that my SMTP gateway.on SMTP gateway queue size is increasing.i expalin the infrastructure.i have exchane server 2000 which is hosting my public domain and another pc with windows 2000 working as SMTP gateway.i am using smtp connector b/w the gateway and exchange .to get the mail from ISP i am using GFI pop2Exchange which is installed on SMTP gateway.now the problem is my smtp queue growth is increasing.there r 480 mails at the moment in the queue.but its not delevering the both inbond and outbond mails.all other settings are ok. bhatti Assuming you meant queue...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

Try on this security update that came from the MS Corporation
--eiyjhvrwctlpjpvm Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="xtccxvenirffxtviw"; type="multipart/alternative" --xtccxvenirffxtviw Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="twuxignfis" --twuxignfis Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your comput...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...

CRM 3.0 bug sending to SMTP?
When I send email from the outlook client, there are absolutely no problems. However, when I send an email from the web interface, I get an error stating "Invalid Association" and "The request association is not valid." whenever the contents of the email contain a carriage return or formatted text (such as coloring). I have read the knowledge base article that associates this error with SMTP settings and authentication, however the same mail message will be processed if I remove the carriage return. Has anyone else encountered this problem? -Mike -- Micheal LoPatr...

pop and smtp errors unique to machine
I'm using windows xp home and i'm running into pop and smtp errors using outlook. i've verified on another machine that the account works and the settings i'm using are correct. when i try "test account settings" for the account using outlook the "log on to pop" fails and the "send test e-mail" fails. i've also tried using outlook express and i get the following pop error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Server: 'pop.cogeco.ca', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, ...

Remove SMTP addresses from users
I created a policy to set up SMTP addresses, and it was applied to the wrong set of users. Now I want to remove that address from thosee users. I already created the correct policies, and applied it to the correct users. Now I want to clean up the SMTP addresses of the other accounts. How can I automatically remove those SMTP addresses? -- --- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego It is not straightforward but read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318...

Lotus Notes Connector and Directory Synchronization
I am being faced with an interesting issue in regards to exporting Active Directory objects to Lotus Notes using the Lotus Notes Connector. When I try to initiate an export I receive the following error in the Application log. ----------------------------------------- Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeADDXA Event Category: Replication Event ID: 8340 Date: Time: User: N/A Computer: Description: ADC could not replicate CN=EndUser,CN=Users,DC=contoso,DC=com because it is secured and the connection agreement does not allow secured objects to replicate. -----------------------...

Converting a Secured database
Does anyone know where to look for information on converting a secured '97 databse to a 2003. Is the key the system.mdw or what? -- Good Lookin' Out! The Security FAQ explains how to unsecure the db so it can be converted. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fsupport%2faccess%2fcontent%2fsecfaq.asp#_Toc493299666 I am not aware of any newer version but it wouldn't hurt to look. "barker" <barker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE4596F4-862C-4429-AAFD-FEF0ADC5188D@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know where to look for information on...

Outlook connector and Widows 2000
I am using windows 2000 sp4 and Outlook 2003. The MS site seems to indicate that I can use outlook connector with this combination. However when I try to install the outlook connector I get an error message saying that windows XP is necessary to install outlook connector. What am I doing wrong? I don't think you are doing anything wrong because Microsoft's website is not clearer about Operating System The system requirements for Outlook Connector is at this link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx#5 Perhaps you do need Windows XP because W...

SMTP
Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall allowing port 25 traffic), but no one can get their mail ... e.g. Start|Programs|Miscrosoft Exchange|System Manager|Servers|ServerName|First Storage Group|Mailbox Store (Name)|Mailboxes - their are all our mail boxes with mail in them, but NO ONE can get to them from Outlook 2003! What's up??? Can you see mailbox contents? Can you send message to other mailboxes on the server? Do you see those messages? Do you get any error messages? Mark White wrote: > Outbound works fine, inbound seems to work okay (Firewall > a...

macro enabled/disabled (registry key)
When having the macro security on "Disable all macros with notifications"(2007) or "Medium"(2003) is there a way to determine what the user has choosen (a registry key or otherwise)? (To enable or disable the macros)? ...

smtp debug
I have a user that has problems periodically sending email. After hitting Send/Receive, it sits there and then stops. The email remains in the Outbox. Here is a snippet from the debug log: (I have changed names) #####EXAMPLE 1 Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2800.1441 SMTP Log started at 09/16/2004 09:03:03 SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] Connecting to 'smtpserver.domain.com' on port 25. SMTP: 09:03:03 [db] srv_name = "smtpserver.domain.com" srv_addr = 123.45.67.900 SMTP: 09:03:04 [rx] 220 smtpserver.domain.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2657...

Excel Macro's and Security
Hi, I've got a minor problem with Excel on my machine. If I open up Excel and then open up a file through the pathways there then it asks me if I want to enable Macros as expected. If, however, I try to open the file straight through windows explorer then I don't get this option and all the macros are automatically disabled. Obviously this isn't a huge problem but it is a tad frustrating! Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this may be? Many thanks in advance Mark No way you have two installations/versions of Excel, right? Next time you open a file via Explore...