SMTP connector #13

I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode.
I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server.  Can I remove Internet
mail service in exch 5.5 safely.  I am concerned because we still have
clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server.  they shouldnt be disturbed in
sending/receiving mails.
Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server.

Please advise.

Thanks
0
velmj (1)

You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP
Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct
SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are pointed to the IMS for SMTP and you
don't want the clients to reconfigure their POP3 profile, then you can just
remove the Address Space entry on the IMS, restart the IMS and the POP3
users will use the IMS for SMTP connections and all other email will go out
the SMTP Connector.

Thanks,
Fitz Crittle

Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup

"velmj" <velmj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode.
> I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server.  Can I remove
> Internet
> mail service in exch 5.5 safely.  I am concerned because we still have
> clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server.  they shouldnt be disturbed
> in
> sending/receiving mails.
> Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks

0
fitzcrit (97)
7/8/2005 7:57:59 PM
why dont you move all clients to exchange 2003

"velmj" <velmj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode.
> I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server.  Can I remove
> Internet
> mail service in exch 5.5 safely.  I am concerned because we still have
> clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server.  they shouldnt be disturbed
> in
> sending/receiving mails.
> Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP log #2
I am running Exchange server 5.5 on a LAN. How can I track email by user. I would like to see what email a user receives and sends on a daily basis (don't want to read the mail, but the header and stuff like that). Can I do this with Exchange (so yes how) or is their a 3rd party software package I can purchase? Message Tracking logs will give you sender, recipient, size and date of the message. Message Journaling will give you message contents. "Michael J." wrote: > I am running Exchange server 5.5 on a LAN. How can I track > email by user. I would like to see what...

Repair Smtp Virtual server
Is there a repair tool that will fix problems with the default smtp virtual server in exchange? TIA On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:39:24 -0400, "Josh" <jsawyer@insightbbb.com> wrote: >Is there a repair tool that will fix problems with the default smtp virtual >server in exchange? > >TIA > Check out: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q290290 "XIMS: Cannot Send Mail After Re-Installing the IIS SMTP Service" ...

SMTP #9
I have one windows 2000 server which i m using for my outgoing mail. in this server on D drive where is my Exchange is installed has a folder name program files\exchsrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\badmail\ i able to see the properties of this folder and its showing more than 2800000 files but i m not able to view these files these files are occupying my most of the HDD space i want to remove this files but as i said i m not able to view so i m not able to delete the same. Please help me in this. as my HDD size is filling up very fastly. Pleas HELP!!!!!!!!! Thankx in advance. Are you sure that you...

Exch2003:Which file/folders handle "SMTP and MTA queues" ?
From reading an Exch2003 storage whitepaper I understand that it is recommend to place "SMTP and MTA queues" on separate volumes. Question: a)Which files/folders handle the aforementioned MTA and SMTP queue ? b)How do I determine whether I have high use of MTA and SMTP that justifies to use such configuration in my environment ? � C:\ - System volume, operating system, Exchange system files - RAID-1 (direct-attached storage, not SAN) � D:\ - Page file - RAID-1 (direct-attached storage, not SAN) � E:\ - SMTP and MTA queues - RAID-0+1 (SAN) � F:...

SMTP Relaying
I am having a problem with my SMTP server relaying messages to my exchange server and I would love someone to shed some light on what I know is a simple fix. I am using Win2003 server with Ex2003 installed. I have installed an SMTP server on another 2k3 server to relay messages to exchange. I setup the SMTP to forward all messages to the smarthost and pointed it to the Exchange server. I also set the SMTP on the EX2k3 to accept all. The problem is when I open Outlook express and send an email it goes into never neverland. I checked the logs and it said it was sent to the exchange server...

Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown
How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for internal users and users that connect using pop3. Thanks Open the SMTP Virtual Server Properties Access Tab Relay - Configure who can relay http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823019 Thanks, Chad "Amador Gomez" wrote: > How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for > internal users and users that connect using pop3. > > Thanks > > > ...

Send as "Secondary SMTP" address
In the environment with Exch2k3 and Outlook2k3, is there a way to send messages using your secondary SMTP address? I know I can do this through Outlook while connected to a POP3 via multiple account setup, however I just had a request to do the same on the corporate Exchange environment. One tool that might help: http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml HTH Ilse "MG" <g.mirek@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1E9CE3A7-E2D7-494E-A4D4-C9C61E2EF4E7@microsoft.com... > In the environment with Exch2k3 and Outlook2k3, is there a way to send > messages using your secondary S...

IIS SMTP or Exchange SMTP?
I have a situation where I need to insert a smarhost into outbound mailflow in one city. I am looking into linux boxen as well as windows flavors. The one thing this smarthost must do besides receive internal mail and route it out, is stamp a disclaimer on it. I see from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680 that this can be done with VBScript, but the question is, will it work with IIS SMTP alone, or does it require Exchange SMTP to work? Thanks, This will work fine with a stand alone IIS installation. ...

Word 2007 error 01-13-10
We hvae offfcie 2007 professional installed, user's getting the following erro when launch word 2007, If I re-create the windows user profile it works fine. Is any easire workaround for this. Microsoft Visual Basic Run-time error '429'; ActiveX component can't create object This is usually the result of a broken add-in or a corrupted Normal.dotm template -- see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828550 for background. First, with Word closed down, go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates and rename Normal.dotm to OldNormal.dotm. Restart Word, which will create a new...

SMTP Switch utility
Hi All, Is there such a utility that will allow an easy change of the outgoing (SMTP) server? Recent changes by many ISP's mean that the clients cannot use the same SMTP server wherever they go (port 25 is blocked) and most of them are reluctant and not confident in changing the settings even though I have given them written instructions with nice pictures. Ideally I would like to have a utility, with some preconfigured servers, that allows the user to quickly change the SMTP server with relatively few mouse clicks, and allows them to enter new servers. While in the office, the clients...

SmallBusiness SMTP connector
I am having trouble setting up Exchange so that ALL email (including internal emails), be sent thru the SmallBusiness SMTP Connector. The server is setup as a domain that is hosted elsewhere and I need all internal emails to go to the remote Pop3 server, so that they can be retrieved by Webmail and Blackberry. Basically, I do not want Exchange to sort any email and all should be sent thru the SMTP server that is identified in SmallBusiness SMTP Connector. Can this be done? Thanks! Why is Exchange even running? Can't you just shut it off and have the clients connect to the remote ...

Date 12-13-07
Hi, I'm trying to work on a huge Database project that involves lots of dates. I have records that go back to 1897. Anyways I'm entering data in for each day of the year and I was wondering if there is a faster way like in Excel that will automatically pick up the date. Example 02/01/1897, 02/02/1897, 02/03/1897...and so on. This there any formula and anything that will help make it go faster??? Thank You, Amanda Any chance you could do the dates in Excel and import them into Access afterwards? (no, since Access is not a spreadsheet, the feature you'd use in Excel is ...

Maximun smtp addresses per user
I would like to know if anybody can help me telling me the maximum amount of smtp addresses that a single user can have. Thanks for all your help. On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:52:02 -0700, Luis R. <LuisR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to know if anybody can help me telling me the maximum amount of >smtp addresses that a single user can have. > >Thanks for all your help. I think there is a limit, but it's very large. How many were you planning? I believe the limit is how much can fit into a certain kb size. In Exchange 5.5 I could get over 200 ad...

Remapping embedded X400 addresses on imported msgs to SMTP addresses.
Hello, We're preparing to use the MS Exchange Migration Wizard to migrate mailboxes via IMAP from an X400-based mailsystem. There's a problem. The legacy mailsystem used X400 internally and when the messages are imported into Oulook 2003, the addresses are showing up as embedded X400 addresses, for example: "/c=US/admd=MAILNET/prmd=SOMETEL/o=BIGCO/s=Doe/g=John"@servername.ourdomain.com instead of: jdoe@ourdomain.com I don't believe that we can change the addresses themselves, but is there a feature or utility in Exchange 2003 to route them to the correct address? Wo...

SMTP Problem
I am having a problem sending email out through my school's SMTP server. The error message is this: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Test chapman out Sent: 9/15/2004 8:07 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'tim@stairwell.net' on 9/15/2004 8:07 PM 504 <timk>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname My machine name is TIMK. Apparently, when outlooks sends the HELO command, it just uses the machine name and not a FQDN. Is there a way to force outlook to do this? How? Thanks! Tim No, you can'...

Can i change my smtp server?
hi guys If i look in my queues i see a smtp connector. it shows like internal Domain - (ip adress)[SMTP connector] and Internet Connector(ip adress)[SMTP connector]. if i want to use a different smtp connector where do i change that. i need to use the smtp connector of my ISP and not of the mail hosting company anymore.Is this possible? i hav exc2003 sp2 thanks On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:30:52 +0200, "expres account" <express(removethis) AT tourismcapetown.co.za> wrote: >hi guys > >If i look in my queues i see a smtp connector. it shows like internal >Domai...

smtp protocol vs. smtp connector
Ok, I bite. What is the difference between a connector and a service? The Connector is just a away of fine tuning the way SMTP functions, this link may help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Configuring-SMTP-Connector.html -- Mark Fugatt "Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message news:m6b2i0pjfjt736rhgra5nghn777cqkv94k@4ax.com... > Ok, I bite. What is the difference between a connector and a service? > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:02:20 -0400, "Mark Fugatt [MVP]" <news@4mcts.com> wrote: :The Connector is just a away of fine tuning ...

SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5?
Does anyone know how to setup an SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5? Something that is equivalent to Exchange 2000 SMTP connector? Thank you, Jack Black IMS. On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:02:38 -0500, "Jack Black" <JackBlack@hat.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to setup an SMTP connector on Exchange 5.5? Something >that is equivalent to Exchange 2000 SMTP connector? > >Thank you, Jack Black > ...

Adding new SMTP address to all users?
We need to add a new smtp address to every user as our company is changing it's name, how can we quickly do this? I added the new (2nd) smtp address tot he default recipient policy, but when I go in ADUC then Email addresses and I can't see the new address on any of our users? The option "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy" is enabled. hope you can help On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:32:31 +0100, "Gonzo" <no@no.com> wrote: >We need to add a new smtp address to every user as our company is changing >it's name, how can we...

Reply of SMTP mail generate a wrong Adress
Hi, we have a problem by reply of SMTP Mail from extern like gmx. Out Exchange Display Name contains special characters like ( ), for example "Test, User (IT/IT1)". If we send a mail to gmx the adress was changed to "Test, User \(IT/IT1\)". By reply we got a wrong smtp Adresse, or if the replay was send back to exchange the recipient Adresse is displayed as "Test, User \(IT/IT1\)"<test.user@test.com@mailserver.com Any ideas ? Thank you "Ingo Huber" <IngoHuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >we have a problem by reply of SMTP Mail...

Secondary SMTP Addresses
Hello all..... I'm running Exchange 2003. I have a single domaim (xyz.com). I have a user (John.Doe@xyz.com) with a secondary SMTP address of JDoe@xyz.com. Should JDoe resolve to John.Doe@xyz.com automatically, for other users inside the same domain? All clients use Outlook 2003. In other words: Should another user inside xyz.com be able to type JDoe on the 'To' field, click 'Check Names', and have it automatically resolve to John.Doe? Or, does it only work if the complete email address is typed in (JDoe@xyz.com)? Thank you. Ed Ed wrote: > Hello all..... > ...

hotmail problems in WLM and Outlook connector
I have 2 hotmail accounts which i access on 2 home pcs using outlook connector and Windows Live Mail In the last few days one account has stopped working on both mail applications, while the other works fine. I am able to access the problem account directly through explorer or via my blackberry, and the account is working normally, I just can't access it through mail programs. I use Trend Micro on both machines, though I have not changed any settings. I have also made sure passwords etc are correct. Any ideas? WLM error message below. Unable to send or receive messages for ...

Outlook SMTP and Express SMTP configuration help needed
I have a comcast email account that is configured for send/recieve email using Outlook Express. This is working fine. I also use Outlook for my company email but for some reason the Outlook profile keeps insisting I use Comcast SMTP services to send mail causing it to default to this outbound SMTP configuration after each send mail operation. This would be fine if the comcast outbound email protocol also worked in Outlook, but it only seems to work for Outlook express. My tech support guy and the Comcast people are completely baffled by this and I am wasting too much time trying ...

Circular Logging OK for SMTP Connector
Is it a good idea if I enable Circular Logging for my Exch2003 SMTP connector server ? I notice log files are being left out and consuming disk space there. Hi Marlon, If there is no mailboxes on that server you can safely enable circular logging... -- Regards, Sasa Milovanovic MCSE:Messaging sasa.milovanovic(at)exchangemaster.net "Marlon Brown" <nomail@brown.com> wrote in message news:uGi%23WLRxFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is it a good idea if I enable Circular Logging for my Exch2003 SMTP > connector server ? I notice log files are being left out and ...

Locking Virtual SMTP server
I posted yesterday asking for help in how to lock my smtp virtual server to only allow authenticated users to send e-mails. I enabled pop3 on my exchange 2003 and according to MS by default only authenticated users could send e-mails thru my smtp server, yet I configure my client using pop2 and smtp and I'm able to send e-mail without having to authenticate with the server. Maybe i changed some settings that I dont remember, does anyone know what I might have changed. I want to be able to receive e-mails from the outside but when sending i want only authenticated users when sending via POP...