SMTP Anonymous

Exchange 2003 SP1, GroupShield installed.
Is there a way to tunr off anonymous client access to the SMTP viritual
server?
In otherwords to prevent from spammers to connect to it and send to local
recipients, yet still receive email from other SMTP servers?

Also see many junk in the log that is represented with etiher mydomain.com
or the ip address of my mail server as the "client".
Is there a way to specifically filter these?
I have reverse dns lookup enabled. but it seem to be useless in these cases.
Most of the junk that makes it trough IMF and GS uses this method.

A<.

A,.
0
AndyIzsak (12)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:17:03 -0700, "Andy Izsak"
<AndyIzsak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Exchange 2003 SP1, GroupShield installed.
>Is there a way to tunr off anonymous client access to the SMTP viritual
>server?
>In otherwords to prevent from spammers to connect to it and send to local
>recipients, yet still receive email from other SMTP servers?
>
>Also see many junk in the log that is represented with etiher mydomain.com
>or the ip address of my mail server as the "client".
>Is there a way to specifically filter these?
>I have reverse dns lookup enabled. but it seem to be useless in these cases.
>Most of the junk that makes it trough IMF and GS uses this method.
>
>A<.
>
>A,.

If you remove the Anonymous access then no other smtp server that
wasn't in your Exchange organisation could connect to it unless their
Exchange servers had created a connector to you and you had given them
credentials to access it.
The anonymous has got nothing to do with preventing spam.
0
mark7219 (5666)
9/30/2004 9:15:50 AM
This is how SMTP works - if an outsider wants to send a message to your domain, the server will accept the message
without any authentication. If this weren't true, you would not get any message.

Try using a third party tool to tackle the spam problem. Here are some good tools.

Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com)
Sophos (http://www.sophos.com)
BrightMail (http://www.brightmail.com)

Regards.

Andy Izsak wrote:
> Exchange 2003 SP1, GroupShield installed.
> Is there a way to tunr off anonymous client access to the SMTP viritual
> server?
> In otherwords to prevent from spammers to connect to it and send to local
> recipients, yet still receive email from other SMTP servers?
>
> Also see many junk in the log that is represented with etiher mydomain.com
> or the ip address of my mail server as the "client".
> Is there a way to specifically filter these?
> I have reverse dns lookup enabled. but it seem to be useless in these cases.
> Most of the junk that makes it trough IMF and GS uses this method.
>
> A<.
>
> A,.

0
av1 (2)

PF: Default and Anonymous
Can anyone point to a KB article, or any official MS statement, about exactly what Default and Anonymous in the client permissions for Public Folders mean ? I'm taking the 2400 course for Exchange 2003 administration and it is not covered in the book. Also I've been in the field many years, and have found little to no information concerning this topic. I believe Default includes the "Everyone" group and relates to access via the Outlook client. While Anonymous is the "Everyone" group along with the "Guest" account, and pertains to OWA access. Is th...

Corrupted SMTP address
Exchange 2003 with SP2. 8 sights, mixed mode. Strange thing happened today, all users at a one site were unable to send or recive email. Noone can send them email too. NDR. Upon invistigation I found that their SMTP email address in ADUC geneal tab has changed to {Intenet email address} instead of the ususal useranme@xyzcompany.com. The email addresses in the Email adress tab are intact. The only change that was made, and I am not sure if anyone tried to import anything into AD, is with the default receipent policy, the previous day. Did I mention each site has their own policy that was...

SMTP Addresses
I have a user that did a little 'experimenting' on her own about an issue she was having. If someone sent her a message using upper case letters in her address: Uppercase@whatever.domain the mail would take a lot longer before it finally showed up in her mailbox. If, however, they sent it to her using her correct address - all lowercase: lowercase@whatever.domain it would be delivered immediately. What is the magic button to take away the case sensitivity oh the SMTP addresses? Thanks for any reply - LOL! Maybe you ought to verify these resu...

Rules for different smtp addresses for 1 user.
In exchange my user account is set-up with 2 smtp addresses. 1) Erik@mycompany.com and 2) jreed@mycompany.com (this is the primary SMTP address) so any email sent to those 2 addresses comes to my inbox. I tried to create a rule in outlook XP to place the email to erik@mycompany.com into a seperate folder. Turns out that this can not be done! OUCH! it appears all incoming mail is translated to the local account name and the smtp address is not referenced at all???? I do not want to have to create a seperate user and maintain 2 different mailboxes. I have to be missing how to do thi...

setting exchange2003 to use external smtp for mail delivery
I would like to forward all mail to an smtp server belonging to my isp for delivery rather than trying to deliver the mail directly from exchange - Could anyone help with some advice on how to do this? Thanks Martin You didn't specify if you are using a connector or not, but in essence you want to specify a smart host. Since I'm looking at a single server setup w/out a connector, the place to specify is on the SMTP virtual server's delivery tab > advanced button. "mart-the-shrew" <marttheshrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D96C7E68...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP log #2
I am running Exchange server 5.5 on a LAN. How can I track email by user. I would like to see what email a user receives and sends on a daily basis (don't want to read the mail, but the header and stuff like that). Can I do this with Exchange (so yes how) or is their a 3rd party software package I can purchase? Message Tracking logs will give you sender, recipient, size and date of the message. Message Journaling will give you message contents. "Michael J." wrote: > I am running Exchange server 5.5 on a LAN. How can I track > email by user. I would like to see what...

SMTP TL SSL
Hi, I'm runing exchange front-end server (last sp applied and update of OS right) in a perimeter network. OWA is still runing fine with SSL and a private Certificate. I setup IMAP/SMTP access to our outlook express mobile user's clients connecting from internet. IMAP is runing fine to retrieve mail, I still have a problem with SMTP. I had create a SMTP virtual server (with the same name as the name of the certificate I use on to the IIS server) on port 2525. In the user control access settings I just uncheck anonymous and check basic authentication with TLS checked. The certifica...

Exchange 2003 smtp connector
I have a customer that has been running SBS 2003. To send email, I had to set up an SMTP connector since their ISP would not let them send email unless it went through their servers. This worked great until this morning when the server died. As a temporary solution, I took an old server from one of their other offices that was running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and set it up in the office. I reset the connector but it will not work. I just need to get this temporary solution up until new hard drives come in. I added security but that did not help. I tried a smart host in the SMTP c...

SMTP Logs #3
I have never had a chance to see SMTP Logs for troubleshooting ... Are they very helpful? If yes, what am I suppose to look in there and when should I go to check the logs? Thank you in advance. smtp logs - depending on what you're loggin - can be quite helpful. they tell you what transpired between 2 smtp hosts. when you set diagnostic level of smtp log to max it can log entire message content. you want to look for 4xx and 5xx codes - the 400s being temporary issues, and the 500s may require some admin intervention. How frequently? depends on your environment - size of logs ...

Exchange 2003 can't connect to SMTP on internal IP address
We have Exchange 2003 server no service packs. This has 2 IP addresses used for SMTP. We were looking to lockdown our Exchange server to only allow mail from our email provider. After setting this up we thought it would be better to do this at the firewall level, so we undid the changes we made. The changes were as follows: Created a global accept list Created a global deny list Created connection filter to an SMTP virtual server No reboot took place during this. When undoing the change we removed the IP list before the virtual SMTP server. This may have caused the problems out...

sp2 SMTP Engine update
In SP 2 for Exchange inludes a change to the SMTP engine that prevents it from attempting to resolve the sender address to a display name on messages that are submitted anonymously. In my testing i have found that this is not the case. I telneted from an off site machine to port 25 on my Exchange 2003 sp2 server and sent a message as a user on the internal network that does have a mailbox on Exchange, and sent the email to another user on exchange, and the email was recived and it did show the display name not the email address. I tested this out with another Exchange sp2 server that...

Re: smtp service bug?
According to RFC 821, a "." (dot) immediately before or after the @ is an invalid SMTP address. Mike Ober. "Francesco" <lvfranz_remove_me@tiscali.it> wrote in message news:ed62hu$qlv$2@fata.cs.interbusiness.it... >I have see that, also in the latest build, the email address formatted as > xxx.yyy.@wwww.it are not accepted: the problem seems to be the latest dot > before @. > > Anyone have similar experience? > > > Francesco ...

RE: NDR's from smtp server
I am receiving a large amount of NDR's from my smtp server. It is refusing both good and bad addresses, internal users, and users that do not exists. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

smtp connector #19
Hi i use SBS 2003 with exchange 2003, i often receive email with exchange error 5.3.5 bounce ... can help me to resolve this problem? I use pop3 connector to download email from my isp, some users have only email and no AD authentication, when internal user send email to one of this receive the same error as above or user unknow, do you think if i use smartHost in smtp connector i resolve this problem? Tia Pupo 5.3.5 indicates a looping problem. Check your configuration to find out why this is happening or explain how you have your Virtual Servers and connectors configured so we can ...

SMTP Vritual Server error
I've started seeing this error the past couple days this in the System Log on ExchServer2003. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with our DNS servers (nothing unusual seen in the logs.) Event Type: Error Event Source: smtpsvc Event Category: None Event ID: 2013 Date: 5/20/2005 Time: 5:37:13 AM User: N/A Computer: PLANET Description: SMTP could not connect to any DNS server. Either none are configured, or all are down. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 7c 26 00 00 |&.. Hi Chri...

Exchange 2003: SMTP service takes all bandwidth!
I encountered a problem with an Exchange 2003 server (running on Windows Server 2003.) Last week, Exchange started shutting down and the Internet connection (DSL) had unusually high traffic. I quickly traced this problem to the NetSky.B worm. Downloaded the virus update and cleaning tool, disconnected from the Internet, and cleaned all machines on the network. However, as soon as I restarted the SMTP service, the DSL connection became totally bogged down again, so busy it wasn't allowing any traffic. This even happens when I disable outbound mail in Exchange, and even after I emptied all t...

Export The Display Name & Main SMTP Addresses Onto Excel Sheet
We have Exchange 2000 and I want to export both the Display Name & Main SMTP Address for our users onto Excel sheet. How I can do this task? Regards, "M. Zantout" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have Exchange 2000 and I want to export both the >Display Name & Main SMTP Address for our users onto Excel >sheet. How I can do this task? You can use CVSDE.exe to export to a VSV format usable by Excel -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

E2k3 OWA
Users have begun reporting a problem - from OWA they cannot reveal the smtp address of messages they receive from other Exchange users that have their accounts hidden from the GAL. They are able to reply to the messages, but if you try to switch to a cc or bcc it fails. From other clients (Outlook, POP, IMAP) it works fine - they can see the SMTP address. Is there a solution to this, it's quite annoying? I suspect this has happened after the latest patches, but can't be certain. -GT I suspect this is happening because of the way OWA queries the GAL (other clients use LDA...

Exchange 2003 SMTP QUIT
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = PROBLEM: Problem is that OUR SERVER is sending QUIT-, instead of sending MAIL FROM: MY Server open a SMTP connection REMOTE Server says 220 .. MY Server says EHLO to REMOTE Server REMOTE Server says 250 ... MY Server then say QUIT ! (instead of MAIL FROM ....) We have::Exchange 2003 , cu SP1, pe Windows 2003.. Exchange has also IMF (spam filter from Microsoft) and Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 4.5. all PTR is installed and working OK. The SMTP Server is workin OK a while, then it start opening a lot of connections (7-10 /sec) t...

SMTP abruptly dies after installing Windows Update security patch.
All I'm having a strange problem with my SMTP abruptly dieing. My Outlook 2002 sp2 is able to receive but abruptly stopped being able to send through SMTP last week after running Microsoft Update and installing recent security patches and installing Norton Antivirus. I've uninstalled NAV and rolled back the security patches but am still unable to send through SMTP. I'm using 2 different SMTP servers both with authorization on private servers (not ISP) with settings that worked up until last week. I've tried with a different machine, same settings work fine. I'm runnin...

SMTP Filtering possible??
Hi!! I have SBS 2003 and I would like to configure the following on my Exchange: I want to send Emails to anyone on the Internet, but I want to recieve Internet mails from selected e-mails adresses. Ej, User Bill can send e mails to anyone outside, but he can only recieve external e-mails from sue@domain.com Is this can be done?? Thaks in advise Manny Little hacking with Rulez Wizard should do the job. Manny wrote: > Hi!! > > > I have SBS 2003 and I would like to configure the > following on my Exchange: > > > I want to send Emails to anyone on the ...

How to set the SMTP server in OL2000
How to set the Outlook 2000 to send email by a specific SMTP server? (I have Exchange Server in the profile.) Su wrote: > How to set the Outlook 2000 to send email by a specific SMTP server? > (I have Exchange Server in the profile.) If you have OL2000, you can't use Internet Mail and Exchange in the same profile - it isn't supported. Either use a different profile for your Internet mail, or use OE for same, or upgrade to OL2003 which can handle both types of accounts in one profile - or if this is mail on your company domain, talk to the Exchange admin about having the Ex...

SMTP Error 7010 in Event Viewer
I continue to receive the following error in Event Viewer. Running Exchange 2003 and is the only exchange server in the organization: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: SMTP Protocol Event ID: 7010 Date: 2/14/2006 Time: 1:36:29 PM User: N/A Computer: ZNSSERV1 Description: This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #8238. The client at "<mymailserver_ip>" sent a "rcpt" command, and the SMTP server responded with "503 5.5.2 Need Mail From: first ". The full command sent was "rcpt TO: <my...

SMTP sending problem (IMAP clients)
I'm using Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition. I have some remote outlook 2003 clients who use IMAP. I have the clients setup as IMAP clients, and I'm getting an error trying to send (I recieve mail fine). The error is 0x8004021 when I try to send. I've done all the basics... Checking the smtp VS settings and permissions, and specifying the "outgoing server" logon from within the outlook client. Still get the same error. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh, also, no Anti-virus or Firewall in the way. Those have been removed from the equation. Thanks. Have you tr...

Exchange SMTP setting for outgoing mail
We are routing our outgoing e-mail from our Exchange 5.5 server through Verizon's SMTP outgoing.verizon.net server. It has worked fine for years but today it stopped working. The person who set this up is no longer with the company. Does anyone know where in the Exchange administration panels one sets the SMTP server and authentication information required by the SMTP server? I've been trying to deal with this all day and having no success. Much thanks to anyone that can help me. Jay On 14 Dec 2006 15:48:05 -0800, jaysilvafl@gmail.com wrote: >We are routing our outgoing e-m...