Slow internal delivery for a few emails

Hi All

Scenario is thus: Small exchange setup, 400 users across 4 servers in two
sites. Lots of network  memory and CPU to spare

I ran a trial promodag for a couple of weeks running to look at internal
delivery speed

99.6% gets delivered within 5 minutes (as expected)... It's the .4 percent
that's causing trouble as it amounts to 600 emails.

The max size of a message is 10MB so it's not big attachments,  I don't
think 600 people are using "do not send before" and don't _think_ it's
anything to do with people re-syncing from being offline.

So what can it be? ( There's an option in promag to list all messaged with X
delivery delay but it hangs for hours then reports (erroneously) that
there's a  disk space problem. Not a motivator to buy it)

Any clues?

0
Colin8245 (14)

"Colin chaplin" <Colin@chaplin.me.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> Scenario is thus: Small exchange setup, 400 users across 4 servers in two
> sites. Lots of network  memory and CPU to spare
>
> I ran a trial promodag for a couple of weeks running to look at internal
> delivery speed
>
> 99.6% gets delivered within 5 minutes (as expected)... It's the .4 percent
> that's causing trouble as it amounts to 600 emails.
>
> The max size of a message is 10MB so it's not big attachments,  I don't
> think 600 people are using "do not send before" and don't _think_ it's
> anything to do with people re-syncing from being offline.

Bad form to reply to ones own posting, but since no-one seemed to jump on it
and I've figured it out I thought Id post for the benefit of all.

The problem was massively nested distribution lists - often containining
several instances of the same DL at different levels, and the same people in
different DLS. in one example, the DLS were expanded to 40,000 recipients
despite there only being 400 users on the system !

Colin

0
Colin8245 (14)

False alert for incoming email
I am getting an email alert that I have new mail, but no new mail is present in my inbox. Any ideas? Do you have a rule set up that is forwarding the email to another folder? Judy Freed "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:086801c3c572$e8a336e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am getting an email alert that I have new mail, but no > new mail is present in my inbox. Any ideas? ...

Build is slow.
Hello. The environment is 6.0 vc++. When one DLL has 1700 source codes. Build is slow. debug start takes time. Please teach a good solution. Thanks, Buy a faster computer. ;) AliR. "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DF80A8-723F-43A3-A5D9-7722EEA97578@microsoft.com... > Hello. > > The environment is 6.0 vc++. > When one DLL has 1700 source codes. > > Build is slow. > debug start takes time. > Please teach a good solution. > > Thanks, > "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com>...

creating a delivery receipt in Outlook
I'm using MS Office Pro 2007 with Outlook. My desire is to set a rule to cause an automatic delivery receipt to be returned to me when the recipient opens my email. On a new mail page, I clicked on the options tab and checked "request a delivery receipt for this message," and also checked "have replies sent to [my email address.] However, no delivery receipts are being returned to me. Please note that I do not want the "read" receipt that requires the recipient to allow it; I just want the non-participating delivery receipt automatically returned to me when the r...

I can't send emails 04-29-10
What can I do? "Papi Abu" <santosvic2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OvPw5y55KHA.5676@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > What can I do? I see that you posted here with a Yahoo address. Is this a free US based Yahoo address? If so it will not allow POP3 access, so it will not set up in WM. If you are trying to set up a different account then please copy & paste any complete error message that WM produces. -- Regards Steve. MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK. http://www.getsafeonline.org/ http://www.microsoft.com/uk/citizenship/safeandsecure/parentadvice/defa...

Which Outlook email account when replying to emails?
I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 and have several different email accounts set up on it for different business purposes etc (ie just one .pst file); an Outlook Rule files incoming emails by address in their own folders on arrival. Normally, if I receive an email addressed to address "X", then it arrives through account "X" and if I reply to it, then my reply is directed through the same account and the reply email appears to come from addres "X" - which is how I want it. However I have a couple of addresses "E" and "F", for which instead ...

Archived emails
Hi, I let my ms office xp outlook archieve my email folders about once every two weeks, but I have notices that if I tried to search for an old email in the archive folders it shows that the folders are empty! I have the archive folders sit in the folder view window, can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong? Where are my emails going when I archive them? Thanks, Gordy Have you verified that your e-mails are indeed archived? Also check your archive settings and verify that the folder you are looking at is indeed the folder that is being archived to. If it is another folder you ca...

mail delivery delay
Hi! We have Outlook 2003 and I find that I have several email addresses that I have always regularly mail to now are being delayed. I get this message: could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Then the error code: server.xxx.local #4.4.7 I only have a problem with 2 or 3 addresses to different places and it started on another of our computers today. I can email to them from Yahoo.com and they can send back. Anyone have this? Thanks ...

Slow Navigating Folders for attachments!!
Using Outlook-2002. Recently, since about a month ago, when I try to save attachments or attach files to messages and attempt to navigate to the folder of interest (after I click on the attach button), navigation is VERY slow - like if I click on a sub-folder, it may take over a minute for that sub-folder to open. It doesn't matter if other apps are running, or if I'm just changing to a different drive, or to the root directory. Everything takes minutes! It renders it useless :-( Any ideas? ...

Word 2003
It takes sometimes 10 seconds when I press crtl+c (copy) or crtl+x (cut) in a text inside Word 2003. Even if it is only one word it takes a lot of time just to copy or cut or paste it. That does not happen in Excel or Power Point only in Word. Please can anybody help me to solve this very annoying issue? Thank you very much indeed, Anderson From reading other postings on this forum, it seems that poor AddIns can cause this latency. I have also found that doing a clean up of the temp files seems to help as well. Hope this helps DeanH "Anderson" wrote: ...

Slow Slow Slow
When I click between different emails in my inbox, it takes ages for it to appear on the display. My internet connection is super fast. I have recently had to reinstall Office XP and I think a setting has been changed somewhere. I have an anti-virus but it never slowed it down like this before. To put in perspective, I've had 120 spams today and its took 37 minutes to delete them because of this problem. I have ran a virus check and its fine. Any thoughts on a registry tweak?? Cheers Carl Carl Sheldon <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > When I click between differe...

how to forward email to internet email address
We need to forward the email from Exchange 5.5 to an internet email box , how can we setup in the Exchange 5.5? "Bruce Cao" <nikkie@public.szptt.net.cn> wrote: >We need to forward the email from Exchange 5.5 to an internet email box , >how can we setup in the Exchange 5.5? Create a Custom Recipient. You don't say if the mail to be forwarded is addressed to an existing SMTP address assigned to a mailbox or if you simply want to send mail addressed to a new SMTP address to some other SMTP address. Nor do you state whether you want to retain a copy of the messag...

slow loading, slow updating
I am using MS Money in a non-standard application. I am maintaining ledgersin checkbook fashion for 100 accounts, each set up as a separate checking account. Each of those has 3 transactions set up as automatic bill pays. Other than that, there are very few entries, averaging 6 per year at most. The program takes about 5 minutes to load. Corrections, such as posting bill payments, takes approx 10 seconds to cycle through: Open, edit, enter, wait........ Open, edit, enter, wait.....etc. I am not doing any online updating or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to speed this ...

using "rules" to forward emails

Slow Viewing e-mails
Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? Found an answer to the problem in another post. Simply turning of the Messenger Integration fixed everything. /Johan >-----Original Message----- >Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. >Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It >worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? >. > On 25 nov 2003 Johan wrote: > Found an answer to the problem in another pos...

Copying files from the DMZ to Internal Domain
Hello, I am trying to write a script that saves a password as a secure string in a text file and calls the text file to pass the credentials to copy files. So far I ran the following command Read-Host -AsSecureString | ConvertFrom-SecureString | Out-File C: \PowerShell\MyPassword.txt However, from my readings, it seems like powershell does not let you pass credentials into the copy-item command. So I figured the only way to do this would be to pass variables into the net use command for both paths. So I created two text files with two encrypted passwords and wrote the following...

only copy emails from Exchange server remotely
Hi i am connected with a VPN to our server and am collecting my emails remotely when I am online. Unfortunately i am eliminating the copies from the exchange server each time I connect and I no longer can access them at the office or remotely over the web from another computer. I must have some setting wrong as this never occurs on my other desktop computer which is connected over the VPN, but that computer connects to an empty exchange server Can anyone advise me on correcting this condion. I would like to have copies of the emails on my laptop, home desktop, and the exchange server....

delete email in the Queu
Hi all How do i delete all the email that is stuck in my exchange 2003 servers queue On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:59:04 -0700, "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all > >How do i delete all the email that is stuck in my exchange 2003 servers queue You can delete them from the Queue Manager or directly from the mail queue on disk via explorer or DOS. Hello Skip It’s very simple, See the following article http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Queue_Viewer_Improvements_in_Exchange_2003.html Regards, Shai Netanel -- "Andy David - MVP" wro...

READ / DELIVERY RECIEPTS
What is the difference in "Read" & "Delivery" reciepts? Chad <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What is the difference in "Read" & "Delivery" reciepts? Asked and answered already. No need to ask more than once. -- Brian Tillman ...

BLOCKING EMAILS
I have problems trying to filter junk mail. When I select an email and highlight it as junk mail, nothing happens and these emails are not filtered. How would I stop these mails from continuing to come into Outlook? ...

Windows live won't print single page email... prints eye charts only?
Can someone tell me WHY the body of any email invoice has to be printed with BIG text (1/8th inch tall) and be spread across 2 to 3 pages???? Do I need to get away from HP? Do I need to get away from Microsoft? Does Apple have this problem? Can I go back to like Windows 3.1 on my new pavilion? It's real simple. I run a small home based business. I don't even use my computer to do that, except I sometimes order parts online and thus receive invoices via email. For tax purposes, I need to make a hard copy. I've tried everything I can but CANNOT reduce the text si...

cant get email
when trying to get my default email comes up server terminated the connection poss network probs server probs or long period of inactivity protocol pop3 sevrer response +ok port 110 secure ssl no error #0x800ccc0f can ping it n i use outlook exp 6 This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/def...

why GetFieldValue() is so slow
I get connected a vfp6 dbf file, and the total record number is about 50000, I want to export specified field value ( most of their type are string), and the result is correct, but it works toooooo slow, and I find the function GetFieldValue takes most time. my code is: while(!m_Rs.IsEOF()) { for(index=0; index < m_ListDest.GetCount(); index++) { strLine=m_pSortItem[m_pSortList[index]]; m_Rs.GetFieldValue(m_pSortList[index], strVal); strVal.TrimRight(_T(' ')); if(strVal == "" && m_isFilter) continue; strLine.Insert(0, _T('[')); ...

Send and Receive Email
Hi, Some of our clients with Outlook 2000 installed are experiencing weird Outlook behaviour and I have seen it too. The new email will only appear in Outlook when working in Outlook like scrolling, send and receive button or any other operations only in Outlook. When it is idle no email is received. I verified that the Outlook profile is not in offline mode. Reports coming are from Outlook 200 users only. Anyone of you heared this behaviour and any fix? Thanks TagaR If you are running Windows XP SP2, try turning off the firewall. If the symptoms disappear, you can re-enable the FW and...

WDS not returning Office 2007 emails on Windows XP
I Installed Office 2007 Pro Plus (RTM) on Windows XP I installed WDS 3(RTM) as advised. Searching Outlook items worked for a while, then stopped. After rebooting, it worked for a while and then stopped. It has not worked since. I have tried to rebuild indexes, etc. It does find my Outlook Express newsgroup postings from my OE sent items folder. Could it be that it can only parse on Mail application, and is choosing OE instead of Outlook 2007?? -- -- Steven http://www.glimasoutheast.org My "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applicati...

Can't send email with error code
The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'deer mix', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Change the SMTP port to 587 and make sure: My Server Requires Authentication is checked. How do I set up/configure Outlook Express, Windows Mail & Windows Live Mail for Comcast email? http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?Id=2288 -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "cleidus88"...