Simple storage tool(s)

I've been looking at several tools to make our Exchange storage easier.

One of the first things we'd like to do is bring in a whole bunch of old
Public Folders (that contain old mail etc etc), from an Exchange 5.5
environment into our 2003. Just pure data. We could copy to .pst files and
import from them. That's a lot of work. I don't want to run a mixed
environment (and we're in 2003 native already, so that's not a option
anyway).

EMC(Veritas), Symantec etc etc all have nice tools for putting Exchange data
in 'vaults'. But most of these tools are so enormous you'll get stuck at the
beginning. No to mention the cost and I only want a simple way to transfer
the data.

So what other options might be out there more suited for this task, instead
of using a full fledged Enterprise Storage solution.

Richard
(helpdesk@ortec.nl)

0
helpdesk1 (15)

You should simply be able to use your Outlook client to connect to the
mail server and then use the Import/Export tool in Outlook to export
the Public folders to a .pst file.

PJH

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:24:47 +0200, "Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl>
wrote:

>I've been looking at several tools to make our Exchange storage easier.
>
>One of the first things we'd like to do is bring in a whole bunch of old
>Public Folders (that contain old mail etc etc), from an Exchange 5.5
>environment into our 2003. Just pure data. We could copy to .pst files and
>import from them. That's a lot of work. I don't want to run a mixed
>environment (and we're in 2003 native already, so that's not a option
>anyway).
>
>EMC(Veritas), Symantec etc etc all have nice tools for putting Exchange data
>in 'vaults'. But most of these tools are so enormous you'll get stuck at the
>beginning. No to mention the cost and I only want a simple way to transfer
>the data.
>
>So what other options might be out there more suited for this task, instead
>of using a full fledged Enterprise Storage solution.
>
>Richard
>(helpdesk@ortec.nl)

There are a load of storage solutions that aren't enterprise grade,
GFI.com have one that may well suit you.
0
mark7219 (5666)
6/19/2006 2:40:28 PM
Like I said, I could do that, but since it's more then 45GB across three
servers, that a lot of work and a lot of .pst files.

I sure hope that's not my only option ;)

"PJH" <Paula.Hollenbeck@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You should simply be able to use your Outlook client to connect to the
> mail server and then use the Import/Export tool in Outlook to export
> the Public folders to a .pst file.
>
> PJH
>
> Richard wrote:
>> I've been looking at several tools to make our Exchange storage easier.
>>
>> One of the first things we'd like to do is bring in a whole bunch of old
>> Public Folders (that contain old mail etc etc), from an Exchange 5.5
>> environment into our 2003. Just pure data. We could copy to .pst files
>> and
>> import from them. That's a lot of work. I don't want to run a mixed
>> environment (and we're in 2003 native already, so that's not a option
>> anyway).
>>
>> EMC(Veritas), Symantec etc etc all have nice tools for putting Exchange
>> data
>> in 'vaults'. But most of these tools are so enormous you'll get stuck at
>> the
>> beginning. No to mention the cost and I only want a simple way to
>> transfer
>> the data.
>>
>> So what other options might be out there more suited for this task,
>> instead
>> of using a full fledged Enterprise Storage solution.
>>
>> Richard
>> (helpdesk@ortec.nl)

0
helpdesk1 (15)
6/19/2006 3:00:07 PM
Sorry - I didn't not the size of data needing to be replicated.  have
you check out the Microsoft InterOrg tool?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238573/en-us

PJH
Richard wrote:
> Like I said, I could do that, but since it's more then 45GB across three
> servers, that a lot of work and a lot of .pst files.
>
> I sure hope that's not my only option ;)
>
> "PJH" <Paula.Hollenbeck@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > You should simply be able to use your Outlook client to connect to the
> > mail server and then use the Import/Export tool in Outlook to export
> > the Public folders to a .pst file.
> >
> > PJH
> >
> > Richard wrote:
> >> I've been looking at several tools to make our Exchange storage easier.
> >>
> >> One of the first things we'd like to do is bring in a whole bunch of old
> >> Public Folders (that contain old mail etc etc), from an Exchange 5.5
> >> environment into our 2003. Just pure data. We could copy to .pst files
> >> and
> >> import from them. That's a lot of work. I don't want to run a mixed
> >> environment (and we're in 2003 native already, so that's not a option
> >> anyway).
> >>
> >> EMC(Veritas), Symantec etc etc all have nice tools for putting Exchange
> >> data
> >> in 'vaults'. But most of these tools are so enormous you'll get stuck at
> >> the
> >> beginning. No to mention the cost and I only want a simple way to
> >> transfer
> >> the data.
> >>
> >> So what other options might be out there more suited for this task,
> >> instead
> >> of using a full fledged Enterprise Storage solution.
> >>
> >> Richard
> >> (helpdesk@ortec.nl)

This could be something worth checking out. As long as I don't need to
synchronize a lot of DS info. I'll have a look

Thx

> Sorry - I didn't not the size of data needing to be replicated.  have
> you check out the Microsoft InterOrg tool?

> PJH
> Richard wrote:
>> Like I said, I could do that, but since it's more then 45GB across three
>> servers, that a lot of work and a lot of .pst files.
>>
>> I sure hope that's not my only option ;)
>>
>> "PJH" <Paula.Hollenbeck@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > You should simply be able to use your Outlook client to connect to the
>> > mail server and then use the Import/Export tool in Outlook to export
>> > the Public folders to a .pst file.
>> >
>> > PJH

0
helpdesk1 (15)
6/19/2006 3:20:50 PM
We checked out GFI a long time ago. Perhaps the newer version might do the
trick and they've got an downloadable Demo version now.

Thx

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:24:47 +0200, "Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl>
> wrote:
>
>>I've been looking at several tools to make our Exchange storage easier.
>>
>>One of the first things we'd like to do is bring in a whole bunch of old
>>Public Folders (that contain old mail etc etc), from an Exchange 5.5
>>environment into our 2003. Just pure data. We could copy to .pst files and
>>import from them. That's a lot of work. I don't want to run a mixed
>>environment (and we're in 2003 native already, so that's not a option
>>anyway).
>>
>>EMC(Veritas), Symantec etc etc all have nice tools for putting Exchange
>>data
>>in 'vaults'. But most of these tools are so enormous you'll get stuck at
>>the
>>beginning. No to mention the cost and I only want a simple way to transfer
>>the data.
>>
>>So what other options might be out there more suited for this task,
>>instead
>>of using a full fledged Enterprise Storage solution.
>>
>>Richard
>>(helpdesk@ortec.nl)
>>

> There are a load of storage solutions that aren't enterprise grade,
> GFI.com have one that may well suit you.

0
helpdesk1 (15)

What is best practice for using one of multiple .dll's
I have an application that uses one of a selection of about five .dll's depending on the user's environment. Each .dll has the same methods and properties but in this case, uses a different video player. The application is a conversion from VB6 where the dll name was read from the registry and a generic object created so the program didn't have to change references to the object's objects and methods... something like: videoPlayer = GetString(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "Software\Velocedge", "VideoPlayer") Set videoCtl = CreateObject(videoPlayer) ...

over type mode on the tool bar
how do i put the over type mode on the tool bar Why not just use the Insert key to toggle it, or OVR on the status bar? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "John De Maria" <John De Maria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:365171FB-BEED-4BE6-A42D-45A9A0CB78AD@microsoft.com... > how do i put the over type mode on the tool bar ...

formula for percent average(s)
I have four columns (a1:d1) that list numbers, with the sum listed in e1. I need e1 to not only sum a1:d1, but to divide it by the number of actual inputs, i.e. if a1 and c1 are the only ones with numbers, sum/2. If all (a1:d1) have numbers, sum/4. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hi =AVERAGE(A1:D1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:130001c4b866$b270fa20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have four columns (a1:d1) that list numbers, with the > sum listed in e1. I need e1 to not only sum a1:...

backup tool
I can't seem to get this on my computer. i download the software, and install it. it says that it is installed. When i go to file and look for "backup" on the menu, it is not there. i've tried re-installing the tool (the computer says that i have it on the computer, do i want to re-install, i say yes, but still no backup on the menu. Does this happen when you are in a limited user profile of Windows XP? If so you will need to temporarily make the account as Administrator and then install the backup tool and if everything is working, change back the accoun...

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Beginner multi-level list style ?s
I'm creating a style for a multi-level (just 2 levels) list. Have a few "beginner" questions: 1. I first defined my 2 para styles. I gather on the Style>Modify Style>Paragraph window, I set the Spacing but I can ignore the Indentation settings since the multi-level List Style will control. Correct? 2. I then defined my 2 level List Style. On the Style>Modify Style>Format/Numbering>Customize outline numbered list window, I adjusted the number format (removed a parenthesis in level 1) and set the number position, and text positions (both) and lin...

How do you Drawing Piping Iso's
I have seen the Visio Used to draw piping Iso's for ilistration drawigs. How od you set up a visio to make these drawings and how do you get started? "Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF0D95D6-3638-41B3-A3B0-40010406C220@microsoft.com... >I have seen the Visio Used to draw piping Iso's for ilistration drawigs. >How > od you set up a visio to make these drawings and how do you get started? Thanks to Yoda, there is a stencil for isometric piping at http://www.geocities.com/piping_isometrics/ John... Visio MVP A good place t...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

What happened to the What's This function?
Pressing Shift F1 in previous versions of Office products would start the "What's This?" feature. What happened to it? Gone. :( ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D3C48B8-EDDF-4BB1-B0DB-FF8DF6FB2460@microsoft.com... > Pressing Shift F1 in previous versions of Office products would start the > "What's This?" feature. What happened to it? ...

Totaling a column or row of "x" s
I have several cells with an "x" in them. I am trying to get a total of the "x"s by row and column. I am new at this and need a step by step instruction. Thanks. Try something like this: Count of x's in Col_C =COUNTIF(C:C,"x") Count of x's in Row_4 =COUNTIF(4:4,"x") Is that something you can work with? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "Randi" wrote: > I have several cells with an "x" in them. I am trying to get a total of the > "x"s by row and column. I am new at this and need a step by ste...

tool bar missing
I accidentally moved the excel up so that the toolbar is above the screen. How do I move it back down since I can't see the tool bar to grab it? R-click it in the Taskbar, pick Move, press the Down Arrow key. JK wrote: > I accidentally moved the excel up so that the toolbar is above the screen. > How do I move it back down since I can't see the tool bar to grab it? Goto the windows status bar at the bottom of your screen. Right-click the Excel tab and pick Maximize. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201002 "JK" wrote: > I accidentally mov...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

E2k3 NDR's
Hi folks, This is a silly one I know, but is there a way of collecting alls messages for domain to one mailbox without sending an NDR where the name came not be found. IE user John@123.com will receive mail direct to John, but Daivd will receive all other mail to @123.com without entering all the different names. Want I want is a catch all. Thanks in advance Stephen Why dont you try the "forward all unresolved" recipients to host on the SMTP virtual server. If you use a windows 2000 SMTP service as the forwarding server, the messages can go into the DROP directory. "...

Excel URL's
I'm reposting this message as the recommended action didn't work, and I cannot reply to his post ... ========================================================== Hi, If I have an Excel s/s that contains multiple fields with live URL links, is there a way to deactivate the link? I'm working with such a s/s presently, and its frustrating as I inadvertently trigger URL links constantly!! Public Sub DeleteHyperlinks() ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.delete End Sub -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Don Niall" <donniall@aol.com> wrote in message news:09ad01c37d3a$44e9e420$a001280a@p...

What's this web page feature called?
On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My Favorites" list, a floating window opens up. http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277 Or www.yahoo.com which takes you to the first link. What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE 8. No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has enough page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary. This group deals with Windows XP issues, the internetexplorer.general group would be a better place to ask. -- -- &qu...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...

How do I set up my tool bar in outlook to show fonts?
How do I set up my outlook tool bar to show fonts and font sizes permanently? Thank you! Make sure you are composing in HTML format -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21beb01c45b35$94bf5d20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I set up my outlook tool bar to show fonts and > font sizes permanently? > > Thank you! ...

What is simple text?
When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be ignored'. The result is all other data except the accounting formatted data. Help!!!! I suppose it means without the currency symbol and thousands delimiters. On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:04 -0700, TexMas <TexMas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated >data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be >ignored'. The result is ...

What's the best way to diagram a supply chain using Visio?
What's the best way to diagram a supply chain using Visio? ...

PDF to Excel conversion tool
Can anyone recommend a good, hopefully inexpensive, program to convert a PDF file to an Excel spreadsheet? I only need to do this once, and the source file is about 15 pages. TIA, Bob Try OmniPage Pro. I've not used it specifically for spreadsheets, but I've use it for other PDF files with no great problems. -- Ian -- "Bob V" <transition@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4h9vofF1ptb7cU1@individual.net... > Can anyone recommend a good, hopefully inexpensive, program to convert a > PDF > file to an Excel spreadsheet? > > I only need to do this on...

mailbox store reattaching to original storage group
We had a problem when our exchange 2003 server crashed and the mailbox store seemed to get messed up. However the .edb and .stm files appear to be intact and cleanly shut down, (according to eseutil) but we cannot work out how to mount them on the storage group in order to access the mailboxes. Originally the mailbox store was called "Mailbox Store..." and it was attached to the "First Storage Group". There is no longer a mailbox store attached to the tree. We can create a new mailbox store "backup" and mount the database with that and the mailboxes do show up ...