Share GAL?

We have recently acquired another company.  In the short term, we need to be
able to share/synchronize each others Global Address Books.  How can this be
accomplished?
0
SilverICE (243)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:51:02 -0700, SilverICE
<SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have recently acquired another company.  In the short term, we need to be
>able to share/synchronize each others Global Address Books.  How can this be
>accomplished?

You can use MIIS as a freebie from MS. There are other products which
attract a pricetag.

0
mark7219 (5666)
10/21/2005 6:24:20 PM
Scripts can do one time dump of recipients that can then be imported into
each other's AD as mail-enabled Contacts. Workable, but not a real-time
synch.
Check out GALSync from MIIS Feature Pack 1a
Step-by-step documentation on Rod Fournier's blog:
 http://msmvps.com/clustering/archive/2004/10/06/15141.aspx

--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have recently acquired another company.  In the short term, we need to
> be
> able to share/synchronize each others Global Address Books.  How can this
> be
> accomplished?

0
bharat3597 (1006)
10/21/2005 6:25:59 PM
And if we don't have a point to point link or VPN between our locations?  Is
there any way we could set up some sort of FTP between us and use the
Internet to sync up the GAL, etc.  It may be a while until the two locations
are connected and they want the GAL sync'd now.

Any other options?

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> Scripts can do one time dump of recipients that can then be imported into
> each other's AD as mail-enabled Contacts. Workable, but not a real-time
> synch.
> Check out GALSync from MIIS Feature Pack 1a
> Step-by-step documentation on Rod Fournier's blog:
>  http://msmvps.com/clustering/archive/2004/10/06/15141.aspx
>
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
> -----------------------------------
>

> "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have recently acquired another company.  In the short term, we need to
> > be
> > able to share/synchronize each others Global Address Books.  How can this
> > be
> > accomplished?

0
SilverICE (243)
10/21/2005 7:26:05 PM
Not out of the box. You'd have to script it, imo.
--

> And if we don't have a point to point link or VPN between our locations?
> Is
> there any way we could set up some sort of FTP between us and use the
> Internet to sync up the GAL, etc.  It may be a while until the two
> locations
> are connected and they want the GAL sync'd now.
>
> Any other options?
>
> "Bharat Suneja" wrote:
>
>> Scripts can do one time dump of recipients that can then be imported into
>> each other's AD as mail-enabled Contacts. Workable, but not a real-time
>> synch.
>> Check out GALSync from MIIS Feature Pack 1a
>> Step-by-step documentation on Rod Fournier's blog:
>>  http://msmvps.com/clustering/archive/2004/10/06/15141.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> www.zenprise.com
>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>> -----------------------------------
>>

>> "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have recently acquired another company.  In the short term, we need
>> > be
>> > able to share/synchronize each others Global Address Books.  How can
>> > this
>> > be
>> > accomplished?

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
10/21/2005 8:22:48 PM
Hello,

Have used so try out LDSU from hp.com. download a demo first (not cheap but
good product support) - to then export the GAL and import as contacts into
the other organisation and vice versa.

Can be scheduled to run on a daily basis or more often. Does not consume
resources either

Sounds like the internet will be used for the mail transport between the
organisations as well!

"Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
> Not out of the box. You'd have to script it, imo.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> And if we don't have a point to point link or VPN between our locations?
>> Is
>> there any way we could set up some sort of FTP between us and use the
>> Internet to sync up the GAL, etc.  It may be a while until the two
>> locations
>> are connected and they want the GAL sync'd now.
>>
>> Any other options?
>>
>> "Bharat Suneja" wrote:
>>
>>> Scripts can do one time dump of recipients that can then be imported
>>> into
>>> each other's AD as mail-enabled Contacts. Workable, but not a real-time
>>> synch.
>>> Check out GALSync from MIIS Feature Pack 1a
>>> Step-by-step documentation on Rod Fournier's blog:
>>>  http://msmvps.com/clustering/archive/2004/10/06/15141.aspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> www.zenprise.com
>>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>> -----------------------------------
>>>

>>> "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Liam1 (4)

Shared folders on a shared exchange 2003
I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the actual company. /C COZ <kofo@spamspamspam.org> wrote: >I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. >But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? >The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the >actual company. Make sure the "client permissions" you assign to the folder doesn't include the &...

printing GAL
how do I print GAL or members of a group in the GAL? Thank you what version of Exchange? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "mtler" <mtler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27B84A3F-4FCB-4CC7-BC9E-691E8FD090A7@microsoft.com... > how do I print GAL or members of a group in the GAL? > Thank you Exchange 2000 SP3 "Susan" wrote: > what version of Exchange? > > -- > Susan Conkey [MVP] > > > > "mtler" <mtler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:27B84A3F-4FCB-4CC7-BC9E-691E8FD090A7@microsoft.com.....

Shared Workbook Query
Hi, I have set up a shared workbook for 20+ users. I am aware that share workbooks in Excel (I have version 2002) have limited functionality an that you cannot for example merge cells. However, if there are merged cells in another worksheet and someon wants to copy across text (which includes merged cells) into the share workbook it removes the merged formatting. At present I have to take the share off the workbook and then cop across the data (which includes merged cells) then reshare the workboo so that the formatting is maintained. Is there any other way around this problem so that peo...

Sharing Calendar, can you share contacts too?
We have an administrative secretary, who maintains 3 high level administrator's calendars... we use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003, she opens their shared calendars and edits them... Maybe I'm overlooking a really simple answer... but is there a way she could similarly edit their personal address books (they all use palm pilots and want their own individual contact lists).... Any ideas appreciated... Thanks! Sure, just need to delegate rights to those folders and she can "Open Other user's Folder" and choose Contacts. "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontg...

Employee Pictures in GAL
We are a management firm and our employees are dispersed across the US. We would to have our employee's digital image appear when a user looks at the properties of the address book entry. We are rolling out Exchange 2003 sp1. Is this possible or does anyone know an add on that will allow this feature to work? Regards, Garrett ...

Sharing Outlook between profiles?
I am running a 2k server (no exchange server) and need the laptops that connect into the domain to be able to view and send emails when connected, and when disconnected. The laptops have just been reloaded after using Novell. The advantage of the novell client was that it used the same local profile for connecting into the domain, and when using the workstation only. With the 2k server however, it uses one profile for the domain, and one for the local workstation. This is where Outlook 2000 is falling over... Please help... ...

Cannot share calendar
Hi I'm trying to setup a user so that she can view someone else's calendar. I have been able to give her access to other peoples calendars, however i can't give her access to one particular user. even though other people can access that particular users calendar. I have given her all the relevent permissions needed to do so in exchange 2000 and at the target machine, but still an error msg of "you do not have sufficiant permisions to view this item" is given. Don't know what else to do....HELP Thank you Don't grant permissions in the Exchange server its...

calender sharing
I recently upgraded to XP op sys and alongwith it to MS Office 2003. In MS Office 2000, I used to share my private Outlook folders (Calendar, Contacts etc.) with my assistant . With this upgrade to MS Office, I lost the sharing ability. If I right click on any of these components (Calendar, Contacts etc.) the "Sharing" feature is shaded (disabled). How do I share these private folders? If you are talking about NetFolders then this feature was dropped after Outlook 2000 check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for some options "KAH" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

Connecting to a shared SSRS data source from BIDS
I'm just starting out using BIDS and creating reports in general. I've been using Report Builder and have no trouble accessing a shared SSRS data source by specifying the Report Server (http://<Server>/ReportServer) in the Options...Settings, from there I can view and use any predefined data source in a report. How do I specify in BIDS that I wish to use a preconfigured shared data source from SSRS, I can't see any obvious option. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks David David, Hopefully when you connect your report to a shared datasource in design t...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...

GAL generation
How and when is this done? Can I force this? Yes, it's controlled by the Recipient Update Service in Exchange 2000/2003. You can force a rebuild at any time. "Spanhoven Frank" <spanhoven@pandora.be> wrote in message news:007401c423f0$d7e886c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How and when is this done? > Can I force this? > I'm talking 5.5 ... How do I force it in 5.5? >-----Original Message----- >Yes, it's controlled by the Recipient Update Service in Exchange 2000/2003. >You can force a rebuild at any time. > >"Spanhoven Frank" &...

shared workbook
I have a shared workbook. Once in a while, I cannot uncheck the allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This option in the shared workbook under the tools menu is grayed out. Other times this option is available. Can someone please tell me why this option becomes unavailable. ...

RemoteApp is the solution to share .pst files
RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst files over in local network or the internet! At last, no need for Exchange. ss. Alas, still not supported for .psts on a network share. Use at your own = risk. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message = news:%23sexHtIuIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst fi...

Share your Sharing Wisdom
I hope someone can help me out here. In my Outlook I have tons of subordinate folders within Outlook Today and my Inbox. I literally have 104 to be exact. My question is how can I share all of these to another user so they can access EVERYTHING? I know how to give them permission and add my account to their Outlook view but how can I apply permissions to all of the folders instead of doing them one by one? Please help me if you can. I'm scared of the possibility of a daunting task the looms in my forecast. I sincerely appreciate any and all effort one provides in resolving...

hide/close/delete shared account
(bear with me. i'm new and although this is my second time trying to set up money, i've run into the same problem and have yet to find the answer in the forum.) i have four bank accounts and one is shared with a family member. i don't want this account to show up at all in money essentials. i tried "closing" it. i tried "hiding" it. i tried "deleting" it. but each time i go back to "categorize my transactions," transactions from that account are still there. The problem here is that Money is designed (and Money Essentials (MEss) even ...

Send Emails With A Different Name Than How Its Listed in the GAL
Hi all, I have a quick question: My client is unhappy with how his emails get sent out from MS Outlook. The GAL on our server lists names as [Last Name], [First Name]. This is how the majority of our clients want it. However, he wants his to be [First Name] [Last Name]. So, all recipients getting emails from him will see his name as First Name, Last Name. We can't do this for him on our GAL, since it would obviously cause an inconsistency if we did it only for one name. But, I figured I'd post here to see if anything else can be done to accomodate him. Thanks in advance for your help...

Macro error when file is shared
I have a macro that works fine when the file is not shared, but when it is shared I get "Run-time error '1004': AdvancedFilter method of Range class failed". Can you not run macros in a shared file ? My macro is show below: Sub processdrg() ' ' processdrg Macro ' Macro recorded 8/24/2005 by EDreshfield ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+d ' Range("drgcode").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=Range( _ "drg"), Unique:=True Application.Goto Reference:="drgextract" Range("drgextract"...

Resource Sharing
I have a project named Resources.mpp. I share it accross many other projects. The other projects have many task names that are the same. When looking at the resource.mpp file, how do I know which project the tasks are coming from if they all have the same name? Hi Ben, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :) Try Inserting the column for "Project" in the appropriate view. FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :) ...

Cannot share calendars
We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange. When we open up Outlook 2003 the "Share My Calendar" link is not visible in the Navigation pane, even though we are using the Exchange server that came with SBS 2003. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Daryl ...

GAL Replication [WILDPACKET]
I have imported thr HR information to populate the User Properties information under AD using a third party tool. It imports and fills in the users details such as phone, address, mobile etc. All this information shows up fine under the Outlook which means it has replicate all across. But this information is still not showing up on the users who are in different sites. They use offline Address Books may be this could be the reason. I thought I leave it for few days and replication will go across but its been 2 weeks and the replcation has not worked. How can I check where the iss...

Sharing Violations
I am in an office that has a novell server setup. I am able to access excel files on the server, but if I try to save an excel file to the server, I get a sharing violation message and my file is saved as a temporary file. This problem began occuring this week - prior to that time I had no problems. No other application we use, including other Office applications is affected by this. I checked network settings and it appears that they are all set correctly. Has anyone else experienced this type problem? Have you checked to make sure that you have the Novell assigned rights to save to the...

OWA GAL
Hi, When sending a new message in OWA, is there a way to view all the users in the GAL? Is there a wild card that can be put in the "Display Name" field to see all addresses? Thanks! Hi Glen, OWA does not really display the entire GAL by default. But you can put a space in the Display Name field and hit Find. All your recipients should show up. Will http://www.exchange-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61 "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:476734BB-2A82-440B-85E4-3EE2F0575179@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > When sending a ne...

File Sharing #2
I would like to open one money file across a network from different computers. Is this possible with Money 2004 deluxe?? Yes but you must ensure that you are not running Money or any of the background programs that "might" have the *.mny file open simultaneously or you run the risk of file corruption. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/fee...

Limit on number of users for a shared workbook?
Win2k Office XP Is there a known limit on the number of users working simultaneously on a shared workbook? I'm aware of the conflict resolution scenario, I'm just curious to know if (according to MS) there's a physical limit, or a point at which performance would degrade to an "unacceptable" level. Thanks, Rob ...