Shadow copy and exchange databse

Hi all
Exchagne 2003 on windows 2003. I have enabled VSS on the drive that stores
my exchange DB. I thought that VSS only worked on shared flders meaning if
the folder wasnt shared then VSS wouldnt take a snapshot of it. I guess I am
wrong because in looking at the dir that holds my exchange DB I can see a
months worth of previous versions of my databse. Does this mean that if i had
a corruption or a deleted mailbox on Monday I could restore one of the shadow
copies from the previous day and this would work?

Thanks for any clarification on this

skip
0
Skipster (152)

Unless you are using 3rd party backup software and hardware that supports
Exchange backups using Shadow copy you will not be able to restore a
consistent copy of an Exchange database.  Currently VSS is intended to be
used in conjunction with 3rd party backup solutions for Exchange.

822896 Exchange Server 2003 data backup and Volume Shadow Copy services
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822896

--
Hope that helps,
Rand Williams

"Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> Exchagne 2003 on windows 2003. I have enabled VSS on the drive that stores
> my exchange DB. I thought that VSS only worked on shared flders meaning if
> the folder wasnt shared then VSS wouldnt take a snapshot of it. I guess I
> am
> wrong because in looking at the dir that holds my exchange DB I can see a
> months worth of previous versions of my databse. Does this mean that if i
> had
> a corruption or a deleted mailbox on Monday I could restore one of the
> shadow
> copies from the previous day and this would work?
>
> Thanks for any clarification on this
>
> skip

0
randw (7)
10/12/2004 8:23:34 PM
Cool thanks for the info. I'm running veritas 9.1 and i have the exchange
agent. I cant see anything in Veritas that supports or allows me to either
backup or restore the snapshotes. Of the top of your head do you know if this
version of Veritas has support for VSS and exchange DB's?

Thanks again

"Rand Williams [MSFT]" wrote:

> Unless you are using 3rd party backup software and hardware that supports
> Exchange backups using Shadow copy you will not be able to restore a
> consistent copy of an Exchange database.  Currently VSS is intended to be
> used in conjunction with 3rd party backup solutions for Exchange.
>
> 822896 Exchange Server 2003 data backup and Volume Shadow Copy services
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822896
>
> --
> Hope that helps,
> Rand Williams

> Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup.

> "Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> > Exchagne 2003 on windows 2003. I have enabled VSS on the drive that stores
> > my exchange DB. I thought that VSS only worked on shared flders meaning if
> > the folder wasnt shared then VSS wouldnt take a snapshot of it. I guess I
> > am
> > wrong because in looking at the dir that holds my exchange DB I can see a
> > months worth of previous versions of my databse. Does this mean that if i
> > had
> > a corruption or a deleted mailbox on Monday I could restore one of the
> > shadow
> > copies from the previous day and this would work?
> >
> > Thanks for any clarification on this
> >
> > skip

0
Skipster (152)

Self Copying
Hi, I have a user that always copies himself on his emails. I think it is a habit from his days of using browser based email, which did not have a sent items folder. I just want to confirm that Exchange is efficient with respect to this silly habit, and that it is not using up a large amount of mailbox space to do this (I would tell him to stop, but he's the kind of guy you want to save your battles with). Thanks, Paul Hi Paul, Thanks for your posting back. Your understanding is exactly correct. In the Exchange environement, there is no need to add oneself into the recipi...

Exchange 2003 Running In Recovery Mode
I have just setup an Exchange 2003 server for internal use. I then loaded Office 2003 on to my computer and everytime I try to access the Exchange server I get the message: "Exchange is currently in recovery mode. You can either connect to your exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this login" If I connect Outlook opens up ok showing my email and folders but I get the following error when I try sending and receiving using Internet mail: "Unknown error 0x80040119" I have checked Microsoft's website and it points to a missing pst file. What...

Copy cells based on conditions in one workbook to another workbook
Hi, I hope someone could help me on this. I need a macro that will enable user to do the following 1. load sheet3("Template") in workbook1 2. copy and save value and format of Template as new workbook say wb2 3. opens wb3 and checks for each cell in column A2 to A"lastrow" that has value greater than 2 and count them 4. insert the number of counted rows in Sheets("Template"), after eg row 4 5. now copy cell(i,2), cell(i,5), cell(i,7), cell(i,12 to 15) into the inserted rows in Sheets(Template) any help will be appreciated. Many Thanks Carl. ...

Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2003
Hi all, We do have an small office running NT4 server with Small Business Edtion including Exchange. 5 W98 clients PC's are attached via a LAN. We want to move to windows 2003 again with SBE. 2003 will run on a new server and the 5 client pc's will be replaced to with XP Pro running on it. What is the best way to migrate the users and Exchange data from the old situation to the new 2003 environment? I consider exporting every users mailbox to a .pst file and import it again in the new 2003 envronment. Will this work or is there a better solution? Thanks! Grz. Bo320 We did a very...

wordart shadowing
Everytime I use a text box in Publisher it uses shadowed word art. I do not want shadowed wordart, just plain text. How do i keep this annoying property from deploying itself when I simply want regular text? I created a whole brochure and everything is shadowed word art I need it changed to regular non-shadowed text. Going forward I want the default to be regular text when i create a new file. What version Publisher are you using? There is a shadow task bar, it will remove shadows. I've never run across Publisher arbitrarily adding shadows to text boxes. If the text is shadowed, o...

Copy without Adjustment
I would like to copy the formula in one cell to another without adjusting cell references within the formula. For example Cells(10,10).formula=cells(2,2).formula will copy the formula in B2 to J10 without adjustment. There must be a simple way to do this without resorting to VBA?? -- Gary's Student Select the entire formula in the formula bar. Right click in the selection, and choose "Copy". Hit <Enter>. Right click in J10, and choose "Paste". And you're done. -- HTH, RD -------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Exchange Security and Monitoring
What is the best software to monitor every aspects of Exchange from your experiences. There are a lot of applications out there like MOM, or zenprise, etc. but I can not decide which one will work better. I have not tested them yet but I have looked into some, but I like to get your feedback. Also there is a concern in our company regarding mailbox access security. We have some admins that have access to their boss's Inboxes (that is how they requested it.) and also 3 admins that have the cabability to log into the mailboxes. Now it is our Executive director's concern to see...

Will too many public folders crash our exchange server?
I run scheduling of appintments for a group totaling approximately 90 users. I do this through public folders I've created. I am told by our MIS that the creation of too many public folders will crash our Exchange server. Is that a possibility? They want to block the creation of public folders. That would have a negative effect on our ability to schedule matters as we have for the past three years. You would do better to ask the experts in the Exchange newsgroup, not the Outlook newsgroup. "MOD Squad" <MOD Squad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Outlook Address book and LDAP lookup of Exchange
I have seen several articles to set up the Outlook 2002 address book to lookup Active Directory information. I can not get any of them to work. Can anyone provide a detailed method of letting me look up my exchange email addresses via ldap ...

Copying (ripping?) to hard drive...
Hi, I am running Vista- Home Premium and am having a real problem trying to copy recorded speech, recorded on a CD-R disc in the mp3 format. When I open WMP and select 'Rip', insert the CD, L-click on Rip, the disc 'runs' ( I assume being read..) and then will start to play with the advice "still on the screen" : To begin, insert an audio CD into the CD drive. I have tried downloading 'codec's'; changing the settings to mp3, everything I can possibly think of.. Do I have a program glitch within WMP when it was factory installed? "Pleas...

Re-installing legal copy over illegal copy.
I had an illegal copy of MS Office 2007. I purchased a legal copy and when I try to install it, I get an error message indicating that the program I am trying to replace is more recent than the one I'm trying to install. uninstall the bad one, reboot, install your purchased one (and dont multi post) "Access novice" <Accessnovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:623F0152-B5A4-4C7B-8068-B4D2050F3DEF@microsoft.com... >I had an illegal copy of MS Office 2007. I purchased a legal copy and when >I > try to install it, I get an error mess...

MS 2k3 Exchange Design Question
I have an exchange 2k3 environment with one exchange front end server (std edition), and a single backend server (enterprise edition). I'm adding a second exchange server at another company office with a direct connection to us, that is part of the same windows domain and email/dns namespace, and we want them to have their own email, etc. Is there any suggestions on configuration? I wasn't sure how the remote site's exchange server would tie into the current front end/back end configuration at our main office...it's not really a front end server since it has message ...

annoying flcker as macro copies from one sheet to another
I have a macro in excel 2003 that 1. Reads the contents of a cell on one sheet 2. processes the value 3. Writes the new value to a cell on another sheet It does the three steps hundreds of times for different cells in a grid. When the macro runs it jumps from sheet to sheet to sheet again in an annoying way. Is it possible to have the macro run but not update the screen as it goes? In some way get the macro to save the updates in memory and write them to the screen in one go when the macro terminates? thanks Hello Yes you can use: Application.Screenupdating = False And remember to set...

Copy Emails
The company I worked for has gone bust and the web server is being retired. I'm about to lose all of my old emails. Is there a quick and easy way to copy all of my personal emails to my hard drive? Thanks. JC If you're using an Exchange mailbox for your mail, export to a Personal Folders .pst file. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "JC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bfb301c479ff$0fd...

Exchange Domain issue
Hi, I have a domain in windows 2003 named "abc.com" which has a AD and DNS itself inside my company,all the users are logging to this domain,but my email and wesite is as "xyz.com" which is outside our network.Now we are planning to install a new server with exhange 2003 inside our network,can anybody tell what is the best way to install exchange. I planned to install the exchange as member server of the domain abc.com as mail.abc.com but when i told my ISP to route the mx record to my mail server inside the company ,they told that our server configuration is not correct. ...

Chart outline shadow
Is there a way to indicate which side of the chart to place the shadow effect? (currently only shadows bottom side to right side) AFAIK that's not possible. What you could do is format whatever shadow you want (position, depth, colour etc) to a rectangle from the Drawing toolbar, size to the chart, send to back, Group the rectangle and the chartobject (hold Ctrl when selecting the chart) Regards, Peter T "Maureen D." <MaureenD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00E83406-B74C-4A1E-BAC9-FF7D1A9575EE@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to indicate which sid...

Copies of Table with Arrow Icons
I have a table called Quotes2004. Somewhere along the line two additional tables appeared called Quotes20041 and Quotes20042, each with an arrow icon next to them. I understand that the arrow indicates a link. But, I don't recall making these table copies. Can some process make the copies automatically? As far as I can tell, they are exact copies of Quotes2004 and they are updated when I update Quotes2004. How can I determine how these were created, what the links are and if they are really necessary? To discover what a table is linked to, open it in design view. Then open the Prope...

How do I shadow cells and hide the shadow when printing?
I saw a excel file before (lost to me now) that had cells that looked like they were shadowed or shaded, but when you printed the document, the shadow/shade was gone. How do I do this? Possibly.......... Select a cell or group of cells. View>Toolbars>Drawing. Select from the "Shadow Style" dialog. This puts a drop shadow on the cells. To not print this drop shadow go to File>Page Setup and check "draft quality". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:29:06 -0800, "skecksis" <skecksis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I saw a ex...

Copy public folder sub-folder from one SBS server to another
This thread was originally posted to the Windows.Server.SBS newsgroup with the title "Network one SPS server with one client". I thought that you folks might know how I can recover my Public Folder. "Another Brian" originally wrote: We recently swapped out my Win 2003 SBS server at my church. Unfortunately I left an Outlook public folder behind on the old server that I need to get to the new. Since I cannot hook the old server in the same network as the new, it was suggested that I boot the old server and directly hook one client to the server, copy the desired ...

How can I export or copy charts to power point?
Hi I have 1 workbook which contains 4 sheets. Each sheet has 2 charts and I want all that charts in each sheet to copy them or export them to powerpoint. I want to do that by VBA Excel Code. I already have my code for opening the specific ppt file. But I cannot transfer/copy/export the charts. Is there any help please? I put my code for opening the ppt file. Sub openppt() Dim Brocoli As Object Dim Potato As Object Dim carot As String carot = "C:\Test\THIS IS A TEST.ppt" Set Brocoli = CreateObject("powerpoint.Application") Brocoli.Visible = True Set...

(exchange 5.5) Postmaster E-mail ID
Hi I want to change Postmaster E-mail ID with new Domain name, how to do this . Thanks Shaikh ...

copying non adjancent cells
sorry Ms. debra dalagliesh I missed your reply to my query. I got it later through google groups search. thank you very much for clarifying my doubts. I am repeating your message for the sake of readers seeing only this messagae copy of Ms. Dalgleish's message from: Debra Dalgleish (dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com) Subject: Re: copying non adjacent cells If you want to copy multiple ranges, the selections must match in rows and columns In each column, the same rows must be selected, or nothing is selected In each row, the same columns must be selected, or nothing is selected For example, you...

Exchange 2003
Aloha Everyone, I recently migrated my employer from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. With 5.5 user initials could successfully be used in the "To:" field to address an email. These user initials are set as aliases. Now however, because some users initials match the beginning of other users smtp addresses, Exchange prompts to choose from a list of possible users. For instance in the past JM would successfully send to John Miller. Now with 2003, Exchange can't figure out if JM is for John Miller (Whose alias is "JM"), or Jim Mulligan (whose smtp addy begins with JM) or John M...

copy several rows
Dear experts I have following code that Jacob has written(very thank's for his help). by using this code, i can copy only one row to sheet2 based on value of column G.i need to a macro which able to copy several rows to sheet2.in other words, when i run macro and open the box for input, take it at least 30 values, and then copy related rows to sheet2.column G has 4500 cells. Sub CopyRow() Dim ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet Dim varFound As Variant, varSearch As Variant Dim strAddress As String, lngLastRow As Long Set ws1 = Sheets("Sheet1") 'source sheet ...

Cannot COPY & PASTE
I am probably doing something very stupid. I have been using EXCEL since it's inception, and have developed many worksheets and VBA code. I am not a newbie. My problem exists with one worksheet, no others. In fact, the problem does not manifest itself on other worksheets within the workbook. The problem is this....... I can select any range of cells, then <EDIT><COPY>, and the appropriate borders surround the selection and the notification "Select destination etcetera" appears. But the instant I select any cell or range within the SAME worksheet I cannot CO...