Sending from different domain's email address

Hi,

I have an Exchange 2003, running on Window Server 2003 (AD and DNS too)
server setup for sending mail from a domain called (for illustration
purposes) domain1.com. All clients are using Outlook and mail gets sent and
retrieved fine from this domain.

I now need to send some mail from another domain, as in user@domain2.com,
where not all of domain2's email is handled by our server. I tried adding
domain2.com to the default policy of the server, made sure the new smtp
address had been added to my user profile in AD as an smtp address and then
tried to send a mail from Outlook by changing the "From" address".

This resulted in...

....no matter who I try to send to.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

-Pat

If you added the email domain to the default policy it is probably treating
the email you send as inbound and would not try to send it beyond Exchange.

You could try using Outlook Express to send your message. You will have to
allow Exchange to relay for your IP address and get Outlook to authenticate
with Exchange. Outlook Express will allow you to put any From address in.

Glen

"Venketash (Pat) Ramadass" <pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Exchange 2003, running on Window Server 2003 (AD and DNS too)
> server setup for sending mail from a domain called (for illustration
> purposes) domain1.com. All clients are using Outlook and mail gets sent
and
> retrieved fine from this domain.
>
> I now need to send some mail from another domain, as in user@domain2.com,
> where not all of domain2's email is handled by our server. I tried adding
> domain2.com to the default policy of the server, made sure the new smtp
> address had been added to my user profile in AD as an smtp address and
then
> tried to send a mail from Outlook by changing the "From" address".
>
> This resulted in...

> ...no matter who I try to send to.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Pat

0
glen8299 (58)
9/1/2004 10:43:24 AM
Heya,

"Glen Trafford" <glen@beehivesystems.com> wrote in message
> If you added the email domain to the default policy it is probably
treating
> the email you send as inbound and would not try to send it beyond
Exchange.

Why would it think it was inbound if the mail was not being sent to any of
the domains in the policy? i.e. it would be from one of those domains, not
to? Or does that not matter?

> You could try using Outlook Express to send your message. You will have to
> allow Exchange to relay for your IP address and get Outlook to
authenticate
> with Exchange. Outlook Express will allow you to put any From address in.
>
> Glen

Thought about that, or even using another random SMTP server, just seems a
bit of a hack. There must be a proper way of doing it via
Outlook/Exchange...?

-Pat

> Why would it think it was inbound if the mail was not being sent to any of
> the domains in the policy? i.e. it would be from one of those domains, not
> to? Or does that not matter?

If you added the domain to the policy, Exchang says that any mail to that
domain (regardless of username) is going to be hosted in the Exchange
environment. It woill not try and send it anywhere else. Exchange is not
going to be able to split an email domain so that some users are within it's
enviroment and some are on another SMTP server some where.

I maybe mis-understanding what you are trying to do.

Glen

0
glen8299 (58)
9/1/2004 11:22:28 AM
http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml

and send an email tol mswish@microsoft.com and request the feature.
Something many have wanted for years!

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:58:33 +0200, "Venketash \(Pat\) Ramadass"
<pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote:

>Heya,
>
>"Glen Trafford" <glen@beehivesystems.com> wrote in message
>> If you added the email domain to the default policy it is probably
>treating
>> the email you send as inbound and would not try to send it beyond
>Exchange.
>
>Why would it think it was inbound if the mail was not being sent to any of
>the domains in the policy? i.e. it would be from one of those domains, not
>to? Or does that not matter?
>
>> You could try using Outlook Express to send your message. You will have to
>> allow Exchange to relay for your IP address and get Outlook to
>authenticate
>> with Exchange. Outlook Express will allow you to put any From address in.
>>
>> Glen
>
>Thought about that, or even using another random SMTP server, just seems a
>bit of a hack. There must be a proper way of doing it via
>Outlook/Exchange...?
>
>-Pat

0
adavid (8731)
9/1/2004 11:43:10 AM
That is pretty much exactly what I want to do yes.

If what you said is true, what is the "This Exchange Organization is
responsible for all mail delivery to this address" for? (When adding a SMTP
Address to the Default Policy)

Also, like I said, I am not sending it TO that domain, I am sending it FROM
that domain...?

Thanks again.

-Pat

> > Why would it think it was inbound if the mail was not being sent to any
of
> > the domains in the policy? i.e. it would be from one of those domains,
not
> > to? Or does that not matter?
> >>

> If you added the domain to the policy, Exchang says that any mail to that
> domain (regardless of username) is going to be hosted in the Exchange
> environment. It woill not try and send it anywhere else. Exchange is not
> going to be able to split an email domain so that some users are within
it's
> enviroment and some are on another SMTP server some where.
>
> I maybe mis-understanding what you are trying to do.
>
> Glen

See ChooseFrom application here:
http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml

--
Regards,

Victor Ivanidze,
software developer

"Venketash (Pat) Ramadass" <pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Exchange 2003, running on Window Server 2003 (AD and DNS too)
> server setup for sending mail from a domain called (for illustration
> purposes) domain1.com. All clients are using Outlook and mail gets sent
and
> retrieved fine from this domain.
>
> I now need to send some mail from another domain, as in user@domain2.com,
> where not all of domain2's email is handled by our server. I tried adding
> domain2.com to the default policy of the server, made sure the new smtp
> address had been added to my user profile in AD as an smtp address and
then
> tried to send a mail from Outlook by changing the "From" address".
>
> This resulted in...

> ...no matter who I try to send to.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Pat

0
no1498 (362)
9/1/2004 11:45:01 AM
If you are sending TO a domain you do not want it listed in the default
recipient policy.

This "Exchange Org is responsible..." tells Exchange that it has to deliver
the mail to a user under it's control;. It is not going to try and send out
to any external SMTP server. So the mail to that domain does not leave
exchange.

You want the mail to leave Exchange and go to another SMTP server. So I
would uncheck it or remove it from the default policy.

> That is pretty much exactly what I want to do yes.
>
> If what you said is true, what is the "This Exchange Organization is
> responsible for all mail delivery to this address" for? (When adding a
SMTP
> Address to the Default Policy)
>
> Also, like I said, I am not sending it TO that domain, I am sending it
FROM
> that domain...?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -Pat

0
glen8299 (58)
9/1/2004 11:47:39 AM
You can pretty much add any SMTP address to a user's mailbox and make
it the default reply address. Of course, if you arent responsible for
that domain, any replies to that message will not be returned.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:44:24 +0200, "Venketash \(Pat\) Ramadass"
<pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote:

>That is pretty much exactly what I want to do yes.
>
>If what you said is true, what is the "This Exchange Organization is
>responsible for all mail delivery to this address" for? (When adding a SMTP
>Address to the Default Policy)
>
>Also, like I said, I am not sending it TO that domain, I am sending it FROM
>that domain...?
>
>Thanks again.
>
>-Pat
>
>"Glen Trafford" <glen@beehivesystems.com> wrote in message
>> > Why would it think it was inbound if the mail was not being sent to any
>of
>> > the domains in the policy? i.e. it would be from one of those domains,
>not
>> > to? Or does that not matter?
>> >>

>> If you added the domain to the policy, Exchang says that any mail to that
>> domain (regardless of username) is going to be hosted in the Exchange
>> environment. It woill not try and send it anywhere else. Exchange is not
>> going to be able to split an email domain so that some users are within
>it's
>> enviroment and some are on another SMTP server some where.
>>
>> I maybe mis-understanding what you are trying to do.
>>
>> Glen

0
adavid (8731)
9/1/2004 11:47:42 AM
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:45:52 +0200, "Venketash \(Pat\) Ramadass"
<pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an Exchange 2003, running on Window Server 2003 (AD and DNS too)
>server setup for sending mail from a domain called (for illustration
>purposes) domain1.com. All clients are using Outlook and mail gets sent and
>retrieved fine from this domain.
>
>I now need to send some mail from another domain, as in user@domain2.com,
>where not all of domain2's email is handled by our server. I tried adding
>domain2.com to the default policy of the server, made sure the new smtp
>address had been added to my user profile in AD as an smtp address and then
>tried to send a mail from Outlook by changing the "From" address".
>
>This resulted in...

>...no matter who I try to send to.
>
>What am I missing?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>-Pat

Normally you can only select a valid from address in your messages....
Use www.ivasoft.com "ChooseFrom" and you will be able to add the
domain2.com address to the account and select that to be the sending
address.
Obviously any replies sent to domain2.com will go to the real
domain2.com and not yourself.

0
mark7219 (5666)
9/1/2004 11:59:26 AM
Hello again,

> If you are sending TO a domain you do not want it listed in the default
> recipient policy.

I am not sending it TO.

> This "Exchange Org is responsible..." tells Exchange that it has to
deliver
> the mail to a user under it's control;. It is not going to try and send
out
> to any external SMTP server. So the mail to that domain does not leave
> exchange.

I was under the impression that if that checkbox was not checked (i.e. the
exch org is NOT responsible for all the mail to the domain in question) it
did something funky ala checking whether or not the particular
user@domain.com address is under it's control, if not do MX lookup and send
accordingly.

Guess not.

> You want the mail to leave Exchange and go to another SMTP server. So I
> would uncheck it or remove it from the default policy.
>
> Glen

Yes...but like I  said I am not trying to send TO the added domain, simply
from it.

Sounds like I have to use www.ivasoft.com's "ChooseFrom" app to do it.

-Pat

Thanks for all the replies...

That "Choose From" from ivasoft looks like it is what I need. Seems
unbelievable that it is not built into the product though.

-Pat

"Venketash (Pat) Ramadass" <pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Exchange 2003, running on Window Server 2003 (AD and DNS too)
> server setup for sending mail from a domain called (for illustration
> purposes) domain1.com. All clients are using Outlook and mail gets sent
and
> retrieved fine from this domain.
>
> I now need to send some mail from another domain, as in user@domain2.com,
> where not all of domain2's email is handled by our server. I tried adding
> domain2.com to the default policy of the server, made sure the new smtp
> address had been added to my user profile in AD as an smtp address and
then
> tried to send a mail from Outlook by changing the "From" address".
>
> This resulted in...

> ...no matter who I try to send to.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Pat

Hi Pat,

It was slowly sinking in that you were send To the domain. As Andy has
pointed out so long as the check box on the recipient policy is not checked
it should go out using the second domain address.

> Hello again,
>
> > If you are sending TO a domain you do not want it listed in the default
> > recipient policy.
>
> I am not sending it TO.
>
> > This "Exchange Org is responsible..." tells Exchange that it has to
> deliver
> > the mail to a user under it's control;. It is not going to try and send
> out
> > to any external SMTP server. So the mail to that domain does not leave
> > exchange.
>
> I was under the impression that if that checkbox was not checked (i.e. the
> exch org is NOT responsible for all the mail to the domain in question) it
> did something funky ala checking whether or not the particular
> user@domain.com address is under it's control, if not do MX lookup and
send
> accordingly.
>
> Guess not.
>
> > You want the mail to leave Exchange and go to another SMTP server. So I
> > would uncheck it or remove it from the default policy.
> >
> > Glen
>
> Yes...but like I  said I am not trying to send TO the added domain, simply
> from it.
>
> Sounds like I have to use www.ivasoft.com's "ChooseFrom" app to do it.
>
> -Pat

0
glen8299 (58)
9/1/2004 12:49:43 PM
I suppose another option is to create another mailbox with a default
SMTP address that you want, give yourself SEND AS permissions to it
and then pick it from the FROM in Outlook. Not elegant, but.....
And yes, I agree, that functionality should be built-in to Outlook.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:15:11 +0200, "Venketash \(Pat\) Ramadass"
<pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies...
>
>That "Choose From" from ivasoft looks like it is what I need. Seems
>unbelievable that it is not built into the product though.
>
>-Pat
>
>"Venketash (Pat) Ramadass" <pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an Exchange 2003, running on Window Server 2003 (AD and DNS too)
>> server setup for sending mail from a domain called (for illustration
>> purposes) domain1.com. All clients are using Outlook and mail gets sent
>and
>> retrieved fine from this domain.
>>
>> I now need to send some mail from another domain, as in user@domain2.com,
>> where not all of domain2's email is handled by our server. I tried adding
>> domain2.com to the default policy of the server, made sure the new smtp
>> address had been added to my user profile in AD as an smtp address and
>then
>> tried to send a mail from Outlook by changing the "From" address".
>>
>> This resulted in...

>> ...no matter who I try to send to.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -Pat

0
adavid (8731)
9/1/2004 12:53:21 PM
I think I actually prefer doing it this way...

Thanks for your help.

-Pat

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message news:nehbj017ucgl92lv43q69fgbudtb1844e1@4ax.com...
> I suppose another option is to create another mailbox with a default
> SMTP address that you want, give yourself SEND AS permissions to it
> and then pick it from the FROM in Outlook. Not elegant, but.....
> And yes, I agree, that functionality should be built-in to Outlook.
>

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:15:11 +0200, "Venketash \(Pat\) Ramadass"
> <pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for all the replies...
> >
> >That "Choose From" from ivasoft looks like it is what I need. Seems
> >unbelievable that it is not built into the product though.
> >
> >-Pat
> >
> >"Venketash (Pat) Ramadass" <pat.ramadass@emediait.co.za> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have an Exchange 2003, running on Window Server 2003 (AD and DNS too)
> >> server setup for sending mail from a domain called (for illustration
> >> purposes) domain1.com. All clients are using Outlook and mail gets sent
> >and
> >> retrieved fine from this domain.
> >>
> >> I now need to send some mail from another domain, as in
user@domain2.com,
> >> where not all of domain2's email is handled by our server. I tried
adding
> >> domain2.com to the default policy of the server, made sure the new smtp
> >> address had been added to my user profile in AD as an smtp address and
> >then
> >> tried to send a mail from Outlook by changing the "From" address".
> >>
> >> This resulted in...

> >> ...no matter who I try to send to.
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> -Pat

No message in outbox

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

Sending mail from remote location

Send and Recieve Fix

Forwarding email to Blackberry to a remote server
I have Blackberry with an email address on a server in NYC that runs BES 4 and exchange 2000. And I want to have people email to an address on an exchange 2000 server in Albany, NY and have exchange forward the emails to the person's mailbox and to the Blackberry in NYC. I have setup the forwarding system as prescribed by MS, but when people on the NYC domain email the Albany address they get this error message: From: System Administrator Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 1:57 PM To: Gary Subject: Undeliverable:RE: Delivery Status Notification (Failure) Your message ...

can't download pop3 email
This is my error message Task Receiving reported error 0x800CCC0F The connection to the server was interrupted If this problem continues contact your server administrator or your ISP The server responded +OK How do I fix this? What did your ISP say? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After scratching one's head, M Pond <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked this group: | This is my error mes...

Excel to Email
Hi Our sales people need to send to our sales manager on a daily basis a list of the sales orders that they created for that day. I created a private view named 'Daily Sales Orders' and showed each person to export to Excel. I was wondering if anyone knows of an easier way to do this. I would ideally like to mail merge or email template something similar. Ideally it would be nice for a sales people to create an email an insert their list for that day. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks Mark As a thought, SQL Reporting can be configured to send a report, by email automatical...

Charts based on Different Dates
Hi, Can anyone tell me how to (if possible) create a series of charts that involve certain dates throughout the year. The data will be the same for all charts but I want it to be between dates. I might want to see charts for 01/01/10 to 31/03/10 or I might want to see the same Charts but for different dates like 01/04/10 to 30/06/10 or from 01/01/10 to 30/06/10 Is it possible to be able to enter the "from" date into say A1 and the "to" date into B1 and then the charts will automatically show the corresponding data. I have something fixed already using sumproduc...

Unable to send?

Sending messages in Outlook

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

Clicking on new mail notification does not open email
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01CACB73.FC871830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I finally upgraded from WLM 2 to 3 (14.0.8089.0726) this afternoon (Win = XP SP2). When I get a new mail notification via Messenger and click on = it the email does not open. I have to go to the inbox to open it. Any = ideas? Kevin ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01CACB73.FC871830 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTY...

Forwarding Mail to an external Address
I receive email as I am a member of a distribution group. I want to set a rule up in Outlook to automatically forward items addressed to that distribution group, to an external email address. Is this possible? I tried to set up the rule, but could not get it to work. Thanks On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:17:01 -0700, RayRedSoxFan <RayRedSoxFan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I receive email as I am a member of a distribution group. I want to set a >rule up in Outlook to automatically forward items addressed to that >distribution group, to an external email address. Is this p...

Send Do Not Send

appending data from text file with different column orderings
I'm interested in appending data to an Access table without having tobe constrained by the order of the columns in an external file. Forinstance, if I have a table with 4 fields - A, B, C, D - I would liketo be able to have my external file in any column order, say D, C, B,A. Is this possible without programming?>From what I've seen, it seems that I would have to have my externalfile ordered the same as the table - A, B, C, D - and I'd like to haveindependence of the table ordering.Denis On Mar 14, 4:37 pm, John Nurick <j.mapSoN.nur...@dial.pipex.com>wrote:> Hi Denis,...

What was Outlook sending?

Emails from Outlook to Hotmail accounts
I have just change my email client from Outlook Express to Outlook 2002. Messages sent to Hotmail addresses are not getting through and produce a message: 550 Recipient Not Authorised [recipient rejected due to no authorised destination groups] If anyone can tell me how to overcome this I should be most grateful. You may need to set up authentication to your outgoing server, which can be done on the "Outgoing Server" tab for your account (press the "More Settings..." button on the account page). -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided &quo...

Email 06-05-10
My husband and I run off of a wireless router. For about two weeks now, I get his mail and he gets none. I have a desktop that serves as our mainframe, all of my mail goes to that computer instead of my laptop. A mail program like Windows Mail can't download from a mail account for = which it doesn't have the username and password. I suggest you delete the = existing account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate that mail account with the = proper username and password. If no improvement, something is awry at the = server end. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ...

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

'SEND' just sends it to the OUTBOX

Outlook Can't Send Messages

Rules Wizard and Send/Receive error
A couple of days ago, I received an alert from Norton Antivirus software that the file "belt.cab" was corrupted but could not be deleted. Fearing the worst, I manually deleted the file. Since then, Outlook appears to be completely disabled, with the symptoms being that several commands have disappeared from the Tools menu including Send/Receive (both), Rules Wizard, Out of Office Assistant. I can compose an email, but it will not send. I have checked my email accounts and all appears to be in order. Even after a complete reinstall, I cannot send/receive email. The on...

exchnage 5.5 multiple domains
Hi Guys OK - what's the trick...? We have a server with exchange 5.5 and two mail domain names. We can set up users to receive E-mail from either domain name. That works fine. Now the user wants to send E-mail from either domain... Currently they can only send with the return address being the initial/default domain name. How on earth do you set up "one" users mailbox to send from either domain. Pick and choose so to speak. The mail client is Outlook 2000. Hope this is a really dumb question with a simple answer. Got me stuffed, but that ain't hard (grin) Thanks in advance...