sending email problems #2

We have a exchange 2003 server that is trying to send emails to one specific
domain (jtslumber.com) with failures.  If you were to do a nslookup on their
mx record, it would return mx1.123together.com and mx2.123together (with a
weight of 0 then 5).

When our server attempts to send the email, it sends it to mx2 address
first.  On many occasions, this address is not running, so our server delays
the message and then finally fails to send.

Is there a way to set up the server so that it will try to send to the
'backup' address if there has been a failure?  It seems to keep the mx2
'locked' into the message instead of trying alternate servers.

Also, why would it try to send to mx2 instead of mx1?

Thanks.

-Rob T.

can it reach the server with higher priority (lower number in MX)?
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message
> We have a exchange 2003 server that is trying to send emails to one
> specific domain (jtslumber.com) with failures.  If you were to do a
> nslookup on their mx record, it would return mx1.123together.com and
> mx2.123together (with a weight of 0 then 5).
>
> When our server attempts to send the email, it sends it to mx2 address
> first.  On many occasions, this address is not running, so our server
> delays the message and then finally fails to send.
>
> Is there a way to set up the server so that it will try to send to the
> 'backup' address if there has been a failure?  It seems to keep the mx2
> 'locked' into the message instead of trying alternate servers.
>
> Also, why would it try to send to mx2 instead of mx1?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Rob T.

0
bharat3597 (1006)
10/20/2005 1:23:54 PM
I can manually telnet into mx1 with no problem.

All I can tell you for sure is that the only time they get an email from us
is when the mx2 server is on line.  This is why I'm trying to figure out why
our server isn't trying to use the mx1 address.

Also, this problem is only between us and them.  We have no problem with
anyone else......

"Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message
> can it reach the server with higher priority (lower number in MX)?
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> -----------------------------------
>

> "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> We have a exchange 2003 server that is trying to send emails to one
>> specific domain (jtslumber.com) with failures.  If you were to do a
>> nslookup on their mx record, it would return mx1.123together.com and
>> mx2.123together (with a weight of 0 then 5).
>>
>> When our server attempts to send the email, it sends it to mx2 address
>> first.  On many occasions, this address is not running, so our server
>> delays the message and then finally fails to send.
>>
>> Is there a way to set up the server so that it will try to send to the
>> 'backup' address if there has been a failure?  It seems to keep the mx2
>> 'locked' into the message instead of trying alternate servers.
>>
>> Also, why would it try to send to mx2 instead of mx1?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Rob T.

Have you tried send a message from some external address (like a webmail
service) and checked if it shows the same behaviour?
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

>I can manually telnet into mx1 with no problem.
>
> All I can tell you for sure is that the only time they get an email from
> us is when the mx2 server is on line.  This is why I'm trying to figure
> out why our server isn't trying to use the mx1 address.
>
> Also, this problem is only between us and them.  We have no problem with
> anyone else......
>
> "Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> can it reach the server with higher priority (lower number in MX)?
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> -----------------------------------
>>

>> "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> We have a exchange 2003 server that is trying to send emails to one
>>> specific domain (jtslumber.com) with failures.  If you were to do a
>>> nslookup on their mx record, it would return mx1.123together.com and
>>> mx2.123together (with a weight of 0 then 5).
>>>
>>> When our server attempts to send the email, it sends it to mx2 address
>>> first.  On many occasions, this address is not running, so our server
>>> delays the message and then finally fails to send.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to set up the server so that it will try to send to the
>>> 'backup' address if there has been a failure?  It seems to keep the mx2
>>> 'locked' into the message instead of trying alternate servers.
>>>
>>> Also, why would it try to send to mx2 instead of mx1?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -Rob T.

0
bharat3597 (1006)
10/20/2005 3:05:33 PM
The problem is only between our server and theirs.  We send 1000's of
messages out every day to other users.  We are not blacklisted on their
system either

I can also manually telnet into mx1.123together.com with no probem.  My main
question is "Why is our email server tying to send to the mx2 address before
the mx1 when mx1 has a higher priority?"

> Have you tried send a message from some external address (like a webmail
> service) and checked if it shows the same behaviour?
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> -----------------------------------
>

> "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>I can manually telnet into mx1 with no problem.
>>
>> All I can tell you for sure is that the only time they get an email from
>> us is when the mx2 server is on line.  This is why I'm trying to figure
>> out why our server isn't trying to use the mx1 address.
>>
>> Also, this problem is only between us and them.  We have no problem with
>> anyone else......
>>
>> "Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> can it reach the server with higher priority (lower number in MX)?
>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> -----------------------------------
>>>

>>> "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message

Rob,

Turn up Diagnostics Logging in server properties for MSExchangeTransport |
Routing Engine, and Connection Manager to max. Now test sending message
again and check the application event logs. do you see anything?
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

> The problem is only between our server and theirs.  We send 1000's of
> messages out every day to other users.  We are not blacklisted on their
> system either
>
> I can also manually telnet into mx1.123together.com with no probem.  My
> main question is "Why is our email server tying to send to the mx2 address
> before the mx1 when mx1 has a higher priority?"
>
> "Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Have you tried send a message from some external address (like a webmail
>> service) and checked if it shows the same behaviour?
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> -----------------------------------
>>

>> "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>>I can manually telnet into mx1 with no problem.
>>>
>>> All I can tell you for sure is that the only time they get an email from
>>> us is when the mx2 server is on line.  This is why I'm trying to figure
>>> out why our server isn't trying to use the mx1 address.
>>>
>>> Also, this problem is only between us and them.  We have no problem with
>>> anyone else......
>>>
>>> "Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
10/20/2005 7:37:05 PM
..... also max diagnostics logging for SMTP Protocol. (You'll need to return
these back to their default state once you're done troubleshooting).
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
> Rob,
>
> Turn up Diagnostics Logging in server properties for MSExchangeTransport |
> Routing Engine, and Connection Manager to max. Now test sending message
> again and check the application event logs. do you see anything?
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> The problem is only between our server and theirs.  We send 1000's of
>> messages out every day to other users.  We are not blacklisted on their
>> system either
>>
>> I can also manually telnet into mx1.123together.com with no probem.  My
>> main question is "Why is our email server tying to send to the mx2
>> address before the mx1 when mx1 has a higher priority?"
>>
>> "Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> Have you tried send a message from some external address (like a webmail
>>> service) and checked if it shows the same behaviour?
>>> --
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> -----------------------------------
>>>

>>> "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
10/20/2005 7:41:34 PM
The Information Store caches the results of previous DNS lookups. Stopping
and starting IMS will flush the cache.
Or by adding the registry value "DestinationDomainThreshold : REG_DWORD :
0x0".
Setting the value to zero will cause the IMS to query DNS for every message
sent.

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> ..... also max diagnostics logging for SMTP Protocol. (You'll need to return
> these back to their default state once you're done troubleshooting).
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
> > Rob,
> >
> > Turn up Diagnostics Logging in server properties for MSExchangeTransport |
> > Routing Engine, and Connection Manager to max. Now test sending message
> > again and check the application event logs. do you see anything?
> > --
> > Bharat Suneja
> > MCSE, MCT
> > www.zenprise.com
> > blog: www.suneja.com/blog
> >

> > "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message
> >> The problem is only between our server and theirs.  We send 1000's of
> >> messages out every day to other users.  We are not blacklisted on their
> >> system either
> >>
> >> I can also manually telnet into mx1.123together.com with no probem.  My
> >> main question is "Why is our email server tying to send to the mx2
> >> address before the mx1 when mx1 has a higher priority?"
> >>
> >> "Bharat Suneja" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message

0
monkey (15)

No message in outbox

Wacky migration wizard problems
Hello all, We have two separate domains with the following configuration: Single NT4 PDC running Exchange 5.5 Single W2003 DC running Exchange 2003 There is a two way trust between the domains. I ran the Migration Wizard and moved over one user account. I logged into the new domain as the user, setup Outlook with the proper settings, and got an error that the user account did not have permissions to the mailbox. I checked in system manager and Self has all the necessary rights to the mailbox. The weird thing is that we did another test migration a month ago with the same domains...

Converting an MFC 6.0 App to .net problem
I have recompiled an existing MFC 6.0 application in VS .net 2003. Now about every 13th time I run it in debug mode I get a "Unhandled exception at 0x7c901230" error. When I run it using the WinDbg program I get: DBGHELP: ntdll.pdb - file not found *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll - DBGHELP: ntdll - export symbols ntdll!DbgBreakPoint: 7c901230 cc int 3 When I run a release version of the application everything runs fine. Any Ideas? Larry The information you posted regarding symbol files is irrelevant to ...

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

Sending mail from remote location

2.0 Threads, Join() and Invoke
Hi, I just want to run several threads at the same time. The code below just hang because - I guess - it can't access the TextBox.Text method. What is wrong with tis code ?! Thanks. Melina. public class Report { public TextBox _log; private List<RptTemplate> _listeTemplate; private List<CIF> _listeCIF; public Report(TextBox logTextBox, List<RptTemplate> listeTemplate, List<CIF> listeCIF) { _log = logTextBox; _listeTemplate = listeTemplate; _listeCIF = lis...

Send and Recieve Fix

can't download pop3 email
This is my error message Task Receiving reported error 0x800CCC0F The connection to the server was interrupted If this problem continues contact your server administrator or your ISP The server responded +OK How do I fix this? What did your ISP say? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After scratching one's head, M Pond <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked this group: | This is my error mes...

Forwarding email to Blackberry to a remote server
I have Blackberry with an email address on a server in NYC that runs BES 4 and exchange 2000. And I want to have people email to an address on an exchange 2000 server in Albany, NY and have exchange forward the emails to the person's mailbox and to the Blackberry in NYC. I have setup the forwarding system as prescribed by MS, but when people on the NYC domain email the Albany address they get this error message: From: System Administrator Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 1:57 PM To: Gary Subject: Undeliverable:RE: Delivery Status Notification (Failure) Your message ...

POP Problem with Outlook 2003 & Vista #2
I continually get this message on this new Vista Computer. Any input would be greatly appreciated. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= =AD------------------------------------------------------ Task 'mail.xxxxxxx.org - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= =AD----------...

.EMAIL ATTACHMENTS #2
I have received emails lately that have an attachment with the extension of .email. I can't get these attachments to open. When I double click, it appears to start to open, but really nothing happens. Any advice? Please respond to email address above. Thanks! The closest "legal" file extension would be .eml , which is the Outlook Express default file extension. Regardless of the file name, extension type, you should be very careful with any file attachments if they are unexpected from people you do not know. If the message is from someone you are expecting a file att...

Unable to send?

Excel to Email
Hi Our sales people need to send to our sales manager on a daily basis a list of the sales orders that they created for that day. I created a private view named 'Daily Sales Orders' and showed each person to export to Excel. I was wondering if anyone knows of an easier way to do this. I would ideally like to mail merge or email template something similar. Ideally it would be nice for a sales people to create an email an insert their list for that day. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks Mark As a thought, SQL Reporting can be configured to send a report, by email automatical...

Sending messages in Outlook

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

Web Access #2
Hey guys, I cannot user Outlook Web Access anymore, where can I troubleshoot this? You haven't said what version, and given very little information to go on, so this reply may be way off. You could start with the OWA troubleshooting guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/support/troubowa.mspx -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Melvin" <mrodriguez@nyas.org> wrote in message news:eh61ZzrWEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hey guys, I cannot user Outlook Web Access anymore,...

problem with combining functions
I'm using regular Excel formula in the cells (not scripting, mainly because I don't know how). I have a problem with trying to combine offset() and small() my actual code is: =OFFSET(small(E4:E18,1),0,-2) and it obviously doesn't work. Is there any way to use those two features together? If it helps I'm trying to make a gradebook capable of weighting categories (e.g. 50% of avg for quiz, etc.) and dropping lowest quizzes. I have all the code working except this one combination of finding the lowest grade using small() and returning its corresponding number using offset(). ...

urgent (high importance) messages #2
Is there a way to remove the high importance flag from messages sent through Exchange 2003? We have a number of users that always set this flag even though the subject matter of the message is not important at all. Thanks Might be, in one of the policies that are Outlook/Office based? Sorry can't be more specific than that... JeffG On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:53:03 -0800, "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to remove the high importance flag from messages sent through >Exchange 2003? > >We have a number of users that always set ...

Clicking on new mail notification does not open email
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01CACB73.FC871830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I finally upgraded from WLM 2 to 3 (14.0.8089.0726) this afternoon (Win = XP SP2). When I get a new mail notification via Messenger and click on = it the email does not open. I have to go to the inbox to open it. Any = ideas? Kevin ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01CACB73.FC871830 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTY...

CListView Problem #2
Hi, I have a strange problem that 'just appeared' a couple of days ago. http://reserveanalyst.com/images/ListView.jpg Both views are derived from my CLView:CListView. I also have a CLView object in another view not derived and driven from the doc that's fine. I can only hope this rings a bell as I've shut _everything_ off in the report view, (toolbars, initializing columns, writing rows, styles, tooltips, anything my derived class does.) The only thing I'm doing that is different than MFC is my doc manager deletes and creates views in the main frame, but I doubt th...

Send Do Not Send

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

Emails from Outlook to Hotmail accounts
I have just change my email client from Outlook Express to Outlook 2002. Messages sent to Hotmail addresses are not getting through and produce a message: 550 Recipient Not Authorised [recipient rejected due to no authorised destination groups] If anyone can tell me how to overcome this I should be most grateful. You may need to set up authentication to your outgoing server, which can be done on the "Outgoing Server" tab for your account (press the "More Settings..." button on the account page). -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided &quo...