Sending email "on behalf" wide open

We've just brought up a brand new Exchange organization with 3 Exchange 2003
SP2 servers.  By  default, currently every Exchange user is able to sent
email on behalf of anyone else, which doesn't sound right.  They can simply
go to their Outlook and put anyone else in "From " field and send the email.
Is this normal behaviour and how can it be fixed.

Thanx.

0
User221 (4)

That's not normal and indicates a permissions problem. Did you go overboard
creating delegates?

-Peter

"Zick" <User@donotsendanyemail.com> wrote in message
> We've just brought up a brand new Exchange organization with 3 Exchange
> 2003 SP2 servers.  By  default, currently every Exchange user is able to
> sent email on behalf of anyone else, which doesn't sound right.  They can
> simply go to their Outlook and put anyone else in "From " field and send
> the email. Is this normal behaviour and how can it be fixed.
>
> Thanx.

0
pdurkee (276)
8/11/2006 9:44:10 PM
We have not set any delegates yet.

"Peter Durkee" <pdurkee@mac.invalid> wrote in message
> That's not normal and indicates a permissions problem. Did you go
> overboard creating delegates?
>
> -Peter
>
> "Zick" <User@donotsendanyemail.com> wrote in message
>> We've just brought up a brand new Exchange organization with 3 Exchange
>> 2003 SP2 servers.  By  default, currently every Exchange user is able to
>> sent email on behalf of anyone else, which doesn't sound right.  They can
>> simply go to their Outlook and put anyone else in "From " field and send
>> the email. Is this normal behaviour and how can it be fixed.
>>
>> Thanx.

0
User221 (4)
8/11/2006 9:49:45 PM
In news:%235kOTwYvGHA.428@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
Zick <User@donotsendanyemail.com> typed:
> We've just brought up a brand new Exchange organization with 3
> Exchange 2003 SP2 servers.  By  default, currently every Exchange
> user is able to sent email on behalf of anyone else, which doesn't
> sound right.  They can simply go to their Outlook and put anyone else
> in "From " field and send the email. Is this normal behaviour and how
> can it be fixed.
> Thanx.

E2000/2003 out of the box doesn't allow this, so it sounds like someone may
have
mistakenly added users to a group they shouldn't belong to, or has granted
service-level permissions in Exchange to a group that shouldn't be in there.

First, find out what groups these users belong to.
See whether you can open the full mailbox (not just the inbox) in the
advanced properties of the Exchange server service in Outlook (open
additional mailboxes)
Check what permissions may have been set in Outlook (properties of
root-level mailbox folder - Outlook Today - permissions)

Knowledgebase article 262054 explains how to grant full mailbox access, but
it should also be helpful in telling you where to look for where access is
already granted...be careful, as you don't want to accidentally remove
anything that *should* be there.

Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;326061

0
lanwench (7567)

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

Permission for "Sending on behalf of"
On Exchange on a Small Business Server, I have a distribution group called "Sales". It is used to direct mail that is addressed to sales@xxx.com, to a number of staff in the Sales office. I now wish to give sales staff the option of sending mail on behalf of this distribution group from within Outlook 2003 rather than under their own name. I can easily do this by clicking the "From" field in Outlook when logged on as an administrator. However, when logged on as a non-admin, I am refused permission. How can I grant the nominated users the right to use this address? FYI,...

Trapping emails sent on behalf of
I have a rule that moves emails from 'bob@random.rnd' * to another folder. But my rule does not cope when the email comes in like "H.R.Department@random.rnd on behalf of bob@random.rnd" then the rule does not work anymore. How can I write a rule to cope with this sort of annoying email? * Email address has been changed to protect privacy ...

Problem with "Send as", when using "send on behalf of" in Exchange 2000.
I'm not able to set the "Send as" permission on a mailbox. The problem is that the access right is not present in "Mailbox Rights" ?. I have 2 users, A and B. All mail to B is forwarded to A, and B has added A to "Send on behalf of" in Active directory users and computers / Exchange general / Delivery options. When not being able to set the "Send as" creates the following problem: If A reply to a mail originally send to B (which is automaticaly forwarded to A) , the receiver sees A as the sender. Any idears. Thanks in advance Bo Jacob...

Send As (not Send on Behalf
We are trying to setup a shared account for 12 people. It is a centralized account for recieving trouble tickets and the like. We need the ability to have one of the 12 people respond as that account and not on behalf of that account. For some of us it has always worked (since we are admins). Is there an easy way to create a DG (or Security Group) of some type that has the ability to send as for a single account. We created a SG for this purpose, added it to Exchange Advanced and gave it "Read permissions" and "Full mailbox access" which allows them to see the account....

send as, vs send on behalf of
Hi IT family, We have an Exchange 2003 server public folder and we were using the send as feature, but when someone deleted the public folder, we now have send on behalf of rights. This is a problem, because the name of the account appears in the From column. What do we have to do to send mail from a public folder, without the receiver observing the individual's account that sent the message? I put the public folder in the from section, and I am able to sent, but the receiver viewes the mail as "on behalf of". Thanks! -- MCSE: Security, CCNA, A+, Network +, Security+ ...

difference between send-as rights vs send on behalf
Exchange 2007 sp2 What is the difference between granting send on behalf of vs granting send-as permission? The two rights seem to allow for the same thing. Here is my situation userB has been granted full mailbox rights on mailboxA, userB has also been granted "send on behalf of" rights on mailboxA. UserB can open mailboxA and can send emails as mailboxA, but the sent email doesn't say it was "sent on behalf of mailboxA" the sent email just looks like mailboxA sent the email. If I run the command get-adpermission mailboxA -user userB the output ...

Send on behalf of message
Hi, In my organisation we are running Windows 2000 PCs with Office 2000. Our mail server is Exchange 5.5. Many of our users use the Send On Behalf of permission which works fine. However, with some of our users in the FROM field of the emails they send on behalf of someone it does actually give a message stating this. For example: "From: Curtis Fray on behalf of Jimmy White". What I can't figure out is how to force the From field to always display like this. There are some users who when they send a message on behalf of some one, the From field simply shows the name of the user...

Help with "send on behalf of"
Hi: Hoping that someone can help with this.... I can get the 'send on behalf of ' to work no problem, the only limitation is that when someone sends on my behalf, I'd like to have a copy of the sent item show up in my Sent Items folder, just like they do when I sent them myself. I don't believe that Outlook 2003/Exchange 2000 combo accomplishes this (or perhaps I don't have things set up right?). Does anyone know if my desired functionality is handled better in Exchange 2003 and or Outlook 2007? Thanks for any advice. -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond If y...

"Send on Behalf of/Send as" Woe's
Hi Guys, I have a really weird problem going on with Send as permissions. A while ago I set up some users and allowed them to send on Behalf of an email address assigned to a public folder. (Went to the folder properties in system manager and added the to the delivery options pane, and also added the in the directory rights pane and the administration rights pane, on the permissions tab within folder properties) The Send as works fine for these users, they can use the "From:" button in outlook and send as if the mail is coming from the email address assigned to the Public fol...

unable to send on behalf
hi, after i have patched e2k with rollup sp3, we got problems with mailboxes on send behalf for example sales@mycompany.com mailbox is given full rights to Steven with Full mailbox access just like SELF previously, everything works fine. where Steven has sales@mycompany.com opened in his outlook and he sometimes send email out reflects as sales@mycompany.com instead of steven@mycompany.com now each time when steven wants to send email reflecting as sales, there is a message ... permission denied on send behalf .... however, he can open, read and delete emails from sales@mycompany.co...

On Behalf Mails
Though assigning necessary permissions on a mail box i am unable to send mail on behalf of that mailbox. giving yourself "Full Mailbox" rights does not give you "Send As" or "Send on Behalf of" Rights. For "Send As" rights, you will need to go into the security tab of AD (not the mailbox rights area) and give your self "Send As" rights. If you want to just have "Send on Behalf of" rights go to the Exchange General tab, click on Delivery Options, and add yourself to the list there. If you still can't send you may need to update ...

Send on Behalf of.
Recently I installed Office 2000 SP3 on my workstation to fix an issue. After installing it, I keep getting the message "A program is trying to send email on your behalf" as I have some applications that do send mail on my behalf. Is there any way to turn this message off. Cheers Usually this is because of the security settings in Outlook. You can lower the level of security to allow it, but bear in mind that if you do, malicious code can also do it... >-----Original Message----- >Recently I installed Office 2000 SP3 on my workstation to >fix an issue. After in...

Exch 2003, able to use Send As or Send on Behalf in public folders OWA ??
we have users at various divisions/sites that were thinking of having them use OWA only but will need to "Send as or Send on behalf of" in OWA for public folders. is that possible ?? if not anyone have a "workaround " ?? thanks gang ! On 13 Feb 2007 07:28:49 -0800, "Biglou" <louiem@gmail.com> wrote: >we have users at various divisions/sites that were thinking of having >them use OWA only >but will need to "Send as or Send on behalf of" in OWA for public >folders. >is that possible ?? > >if not anyone have a "workaround...

Sending on behalf of mail-enabled folder > "You do not have permission to send to this recipient"
Hi all! A customer of ours is having this problem: * There's a mail-enabled Public Folder, e.g. "Test" test@mycorp.com * User John (john@mycorp.com) has full access (including Send As) permissions on folder Test and has been granted "Send on behalf" privileges for that folder as well. He is also entered as Owner for that folder. * Upon sending a message with "Test" (or "test@mycorp.com") in the From field (e.g. to himself), John gets an NDR from the mycorp Exchange Server with the message "You do not have permission to send to this recipient...

Send on behalf of permissions....
I have a dilemna..... I have set up a mailbox and set Send on Behalf of Permissions for approx ten users. They are set up as delegates by the mailbox owner and open the mailbox as part of their daily job. They can send mail, but the problem is that their sent mail doesn't seem to appear in the Sent Items of the mailbox, which negates the idea of having a record of everyone's access to this mailbox. Is there a way to set it up so that all mail sent by anyone on behalf of one mailbox get's registered to that mailbox's Sent Items? See Unisent from www.ivasoft.biz. Ken ...

Send on Behalf
On an Exchange 2007 SP1 server, one user with this strange problem. Unless she is given "Send on Behalf" permissions *to her own account*, the server will not send mail: "The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address....Client does not have permissions to send as this sender." Even more odd, the permission disappears after a short time and has to be reissued. Created a new account for this user but used her old "orphaned" mailbox on the new account. Same issues remain. No apparent "denies" on th...

Send on Behalf of in a Public Folder
I created a public folder, mail enbled it and then set client permissions so that emails can arrive to it from outside our enterprise. I gave several folks here the right to read and set the send on behalf as well. However, when the folks here respond to an email it arrives as coming from their email and not on behalf of. Is this normal. I was under the impression that it should say from XXXX on behalf of VVVVVV. I believe that they'll have to manually specify the folder in the From field. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"...

To send on behalfe of...
Greetings, The "send on behalfe of" option was working just fine for the clients. Now,if the clients try to forward a message on behalfe of someone else a message pops up that the client do not have the permission to do so. I did check that there is no Gpo that can restrict this and that the client has full access to the other users mailbox.I removed and added the client again as a delegate but still no luck.Please can someone help ??? Regards Charles. ...

send on behalf using web browser through gpf.
I have mail enabled a general purpose fublic folder "customer feedback" and have given a couple of users the send on behalf right so they can reply to messages sent to the folder, they are accessing the folder through a web browser and all is working fine ie: messages are arriving and users can see them in the browser and read them, but there is no option to reply to messages. So my question is how do they reply with on behalf using ie6 browser please. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:46:20 +0100, "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove this)@virgin.net> wrote: >I have mail ...

Send on behalf
Am I missing something? I have given delegate access to a user to my mailbox. When they put my name in the From field of a new email message and send it, the receiver gets it with my name as the sender. Isn't it supposed to say from their name on behalf of me? This looks more like a send as than a send on behalf of. Any ideas? Thanks. Yes - someone has set up the user with send as permissions on the Exchange server. Perhaps it's more than that - perhaps everyone has access to everyone's mailbox, which means the person who did the setup did a big booboo. Talk to the Exch...

send on behalf of
When our user's are granted "Send on behalf of" messages, suddenly the attachment which show "sent on behalf of" no longer appears. We are running Exchange 2000 SP3 and the clients are running Outlook 2000 SP3. It was working fine and disappeared. When the users attempt to send a message on behalf of, they put the user's name in the from field (ie Joe Blow). When the message is received on the other end it show it directly coming (ie Paul Blow) and not sent on behalf of Paul Blow by Joe Blow. Anybody have any ideas about how to restore it? ...

Send on Behalf of and More
Hi, I have a member of staff who has requested the following. Staff member A needs to send emails on behalf of B but B would like to moderate any emails A sends on behalf of B before they are sent. Can this be done? Cheers, Joe Not automatically but what Sender A can do is submit the body of the = message to Sender B for approval and once approved, send out a new mail = on behalf of Sender B with the approved text. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without r...

Send on behalf of
Hi all I have an Exchange 5.5 server running on NT 4.0, on which I have one user (UserA) who has 'send on behalf of' permission for another user (UserB). When UserA sends a message on behalf of UserB, they do not receive a copy of the response to that mail as it goes straight to UserB. Does anyone know if there is anyway of forcing the response to go to UserA as well as UserB ? Many Thanks. Terry. In the Delivery Options page where you gave the Send on Behalf of permissions, you need to select the alternate recipient as well and select to send to both recipients. This unfortunately m...

2003 Send on behalf of
How do you set up permissions to send on behalf of a distribution list? I see where you can set this up for an individual mailbox, but not a distribution list. This is on Exchange 2003. I did do this in Exchange 5.5 by giving the distribution list "Send As" authority, but I do not see anything like this in Exchange 2003. I can not find anything on this except incorrect information. Thanks Matt You can only grant the "Send As" permission for Distribution Groups. To do this go to the Security tab of the DG. "Matt1999" <xxscoffxx@aol.com> wrote in...