Security Group / Distirbution groups

Hello,

If I need to setup a group in AD as a Distribution Group (Exchange 2k3 DL),
but also use it for assigning NTFS permissions, I simply create it as a
Distirubtion group and assign NTFS permissions right?

Security Group w/email address in AD = a group I can use to assign NTFS
permissions, and also use it as a distribution list but it will NOT show up
in the Global Address List.

Distribution Group = all of the above BUT DOES show up in the GAL.

Right?

Troy

actually, I think you need to set up a security group, then mail-enable
it...you can hide it from the GAL if you wish...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> If I need to setup a group in AD as a Distribution Group (Exchange 2k3
DL),
> but also use it for assigning NTFS permissions, I simply create it as a
> Distirubtion group and assign NTFS permissions right?
>
> Security Group w/email address in AD = a group I can use to assign NTFS
> permissions, and also use it as a distribution list but it will NOT show
up
> in the Global Address List.
>
> Distribution Group = all of the above BUT DOES show up in the GAL.
>
> Right?
>
> Troy

0
sconkey (3059)
4/5/2006 11:14:47 PM
Security Groups are security principals, Distribution Groups are not. Only
security principals can appear in ACLs.

There's a reason these are separate, and for the most part it makes sense to
use them as such. You can hide a mail-enabled Security Group from Exchange
address lists, but a user can find out membership of a group even if hidden
from the address list (by sending a message with a delivery receipt for
instance... ).
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> If I need to setup a group in AD as a Distribution Group (Exchange 2k3
> DL), but also use it for assigning NTFS permissions, I simply create it as
> a Distirubtion group and assign NTFS permissions right?
>
> Security Group w/email address in AD = a group I can use to assign NTFS
> permissions, and also use it as a distribution list but it will NOT show
> up in the Global Address List.
>
> Distribution Group = all of the above BUT DOES show up in the GAL.
>
> Right?
>
> Troy

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)

User Clss Security
I am new to Microsoft Dynamics, and performing an evaulation using Rel.9. I am attempting to set up user class security to assign to usrs when I add them. When I set up a class for purchaing for example, selecting Windows and a series of Purchasing to allow access to the purchaing screens and save this. Then create a user and assign the class to the user I am creating, the end result when I print a security report for this user, the user has far more authorizations than the windows I granted to the Purchaning class. Authorizations include advanced security, Financials and many others. W...

Sorting Grouped & Non-grouped Rows
Hi, I have a worksheet listing all the tenants in an industrial business park. The first row is column headings then each company's details are listed....one company per row. There happen to be several Industrial Malls/Multi-tenant buildings in the park. For these I have grouped the individual tenants under the owner of the Building(bold below). Each tenant has their own data and the owner of the building (Company C below) display aggregate data from all its tenants Company A Company D COMPANY C (INDUSTRIAL MALL/MULTI-TENANT BUILDING) ...COMPANY E ...COMPANY F ...COMPANY H Company ...

how to group a row so i can organise data by diff fields
I want to group data in rows so i can pick a column and reorder the whole spreadsheet by rearranging the order of that column. Maybe you selected your range, then Data|Sort And then gave it the column(s) to use as the sort key(s). im sure i used to be able to do wrote: > > I want to group data in rows so i can pick a column and reorder the whole > spreadsheet by rearranging the order of that column. -- Dave Peterson ...

Advanced Security Error
When I am in the Advanced Security form, I will select a user class (or user) and then select the "by menu" option on right of the form, I get the following error; The stored procedure WDC_Security_CloneClassEntity returned the following results: DBMS: 0, Microsoft Dynamics GP: 50403. I have search the knowledgebase and googled it and I can't find anything about how to fix this error. This error code means that it was trying to clone from an entity that did not exist in the Accelerator tables. I suggest that you Reset the Accelerator from the Advanced Security Options w...

Recipient Policy on a Group of users??????
I have approximately 100 users all in one Organizational unit that need a particular email address. The problem i am having is that when i create a group and add the users to that group and then set the recipient policy to apply the email address to the group. The users dont get the email address only the group itself. I have tried all the different types of groups (Distribution, Security, Query based group, etc....) and nothing seems to work. I have seen other post saying specify a custom attribute for the users and search on that. This works with one or two but i have over 100, and i ...

Outlook2K7/Vista & Security Certificates??
I'm using Outlook 2007 and Vista Ultimate. My AOL IMAP mail worked fine until a about a week ago. Now I get this error message: "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate cannot be verified. Do want to continue using this server" I click "Yes" and it downloads the new email, but I have to do this each time I open Outlook 2007. Anyone have any clues how to fix this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx can you download the certificate and add it to your trusted certs? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outl...

Pivot table will not group a date field
I have a pivot table that I grouped the dates by month. I've been using it for quite a while. I just refreshed it and the dates came ungrouped.And when I select the date field and group, I get an error message saying "cannot group that selection. You either have blanks or text fields in your dates - Find and fix. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask pe...

Security
Now with Money 2005 it seems you are pretty much required to use an MSN Passport to take advantage of its features. This means all your financial information is somewhere on some Microsoft server. Not only some statements from a certain bank, but ALL of your info. Your checking and savings accounts, your investment and retirement accounts and all the necessary passwords to access these accounts at each particular bank. Together with individual notes you may have added to each transaction (and with the combined information of all of your accounts) anyone accessing your data gets a pr...

save emails from group email address into group email sent items
Is it possible to get emails that I send from a group/shared email address to saved into the Sent Items folder for that group email? It saves the emails but only in my personal Sent Items folder. Tools-> Options-> E-mail Options...-> Advanced E-mail Options...-> In folders other than the Inbox, save replies with original message -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- ...

Proper Security Settings on Exchange Install Folder?
I am trying to nail down the security of our Exchange 2003 servers before we start a mass migration off 5.5. One issue I am dealing with is securing the Exchange install directory, in my case c:\program files\exchsrvr I have a Microsoft Press Book "Secure Messaging with MS Exchange Server 2003" that talks about doing this on page 144, but the details aren't as clear as I would like them. For example, they say to remove the everyone inheritance. I don't have that. (thats not my question - but right away I'm seeing the book completely different from what I have) Th...

Sorting by Groups
I am trying to sort by groups and cannot figure out how to make this work. Basically, Items A, B, and C are subgroups of the totals. I need to sort by date on the totals, but need to keep the same items with each total. I have tried to group the items and then perform a search, but so far I haven't had any luck. Please see below for examples. Any suggestions? Total 1 3/29/2006 Item A 1/28/2006 Item B 3/27/2006 Item C 3/26/2006 Total 2 1/10/2006 Item A 1/9/2006 Item B 1/4/2006 Item C 1/2/2006 Total 3 5/28/2006 Item A 5/24/2006 Item B 5/20/2006 Item C 3/12/2006 Thanks for the ...

how can I add a sequential order number to my groups of records?
I have two tables: tbl_Street_Joiner_Main tbl_Street_Joiner I want to add a new field that is a sequential record order number for the 'tbl_Street_Joiner' entries which are grouped by the 'Joiner_Title_ID' field in the master table 'tbl_Street_Joiner_Main' This new field will then become a Sort Order field for when I rearrange the sort order within each group, which I hope to do 'manually' via some vba code; but... If the sort order is generated automatically via the SQL, will it still be possible to change the sort order via code? This is my curren...

security setup
is there anyway to change security level of cashier by time. for example from 9am to 1 pm they have different security level and from 1 to 5 they have different. Also is there anyway to disable "tender" button on POS for all cashiers. i want to dedicate one of my machines just to make work orders so knowbody can tender amount on it. thank you Shoby, Not that I'm aware of. If you can't press the F12 Tender button, you can't save the workorder. But you can disable the Amount column in the Tender screen. When in POS, click on the bottom blank button on the le...

Outlook 2000 security update
Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security update? which one/why ? N "Jeremy" <jeremylee1975@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:01dc01c3ce3e$3509e140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security > update? ...

Default Security Roles for Canadian Payroll
It would be nice to have the same type of security roles in Version 10 when you install Canadian Payroll as you do with US payroll. Fliehigh You could probably "mimic" the same security roles for Canadian payroll, no? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Fliehigh" wrote: > It would be nice to have the same type of security roles in Version 10 when > you install Canadian Payroll as you do with US payroll. > > Fliehigh No because the tasks do not mimic or relate to the US P...

Groups in Active Directory
I have group of people in a OU named processing. My Processing Manager is asking to use that address publically, or processing@mydomain.com, and access to the mailbox be granted to all of our processors. Secondly, this processing OU is also used for a security group that has permissions all over the network. Is there a way to get around this or do I have to recreate the OU with a slightly different name and then create and user called processing? Any help appreciated. Hi Chuy There is no problems having a User or Group with the same name as an OU. You say this OU is being used for...

Outlook 2003 Security
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with outlook 2003 when i am trying to synchronise my nokia 8210i phone to my addresses and calendar. When i try and do this i get the box popup that says that i have to allow access, so i press 10 minutes and allow. The only problem is that i have too much stuff i think and it takes longer then 10 minutes to sync. Its also through a serial cable, so it doesnt help. But when the 10 mins is up, then it wont allow the sync to finish and so it drops the connection with the nokia without finishing what needs to be done. I have tried the little install of click ye...

Separating groups in spreadsheet
I am working with a 20,000 line spreadsheet of clothing - style, color, sizes, etc. I have already done sorts to get my products in a consecutive listing the way I want. Now, is there a way to separate, highlight, or underline or something whenever a style changes? I might have a list of 50 of one style, 30 of another style and want to designate somehow the end of a partiacular style. Maybe even insert a column and have just the style print once, at the beginning of a group of the same style.... Thanks Chip, Assume your styles start in cell B7 AND continue down in column B. You ca...

Can you "Group" Cells?? Need a little Help!
Can anybody tell me if you can "Group" cells? I have got a row or 3 rows depending on which column your looking a (some columns have the 3 rows of cells merged into one cell). I wan to make all the cells in this row grouped together so they can b easily copied/paste by one click (selecting the "grouped" row). I've created a list that people will be able to add to. I've locke the cells that I don't want them to have access to, but they need to b able to copy last row down so they can enter their information. I wan to make the copy process as idiot proof as p...

How to add Alternate owner for email group id in Outlook 2003!
Hi!, I am new to outlook 2003 and have created a email group id with 5 persons on it. As of now I am the owner/managinf the group email id. I would like to add another person as an alternative owner for the same group. Could you please let me know how I can do this? Thanks, Ramesh ramesh wrote: > Hi!, > > I am new to outlook 2003 and have created a email group id with 5 > persons on it. As of now I am the owner/managinf the group email id. > I would like to add another person as an alternative owner for the > same group. > > Could you please let me know how I can...

Apply that security package
--yuockqlvko Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mkoqpquddlxw"; type="multipart/alternative" --mkoqpquddlxw Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="erudxjyh" --erudxjyh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help main...

Secure Site Security Emblem
Windows XP(Home) SP3, OE6, IE8; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for Virus/Malware 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier, Windows XP (Home) SP3, 2 External USB 500/1TB Hard Drives (NTFS), 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller - Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz, BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.0...

Security
I need to be able to prevent certain users from changing a single text box in our Customer Maintenance window. My understanding is that we shoudl be able to do this with Field Level Security. I am relatively new to Great Plains and would like some advice as to whether I am on the right track, and any recomendations on good references for this. ----- Thanks in Advance Chris Hornung Chris - yes, you could do that with Field Level Security. This would be a good option of you need to lock the field on a conditional basis--such as with a password. If you have Modifier, you can also just...

GROUPS option is greyed out
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange when trying to create a new GROUP the option is grey and will not allow me to create a new GROUP. Solution needed please. ...

Security Service Error
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C3F55C.A5DEBC20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Ok, I have a problem... my CRM Security Service fails to start and this = is the error I get: Source: MSCRMSecurityService Event ID: 5920 Error: An error occurred while attempting to update the SCP (Active = Directory update). -2147016656 (0x80072030) Description: There is no = such object on the server. I used to work then i rebooted and now this... Any Ideas, everything = else seems to be running ...