Securing Public Folders

Hello.  I am using Exchange 2003.  I am trying to secure the root of the
public folder to keep users from creating folders there.  I have sub-folders
where they can do that, but I can't seem to restrict permissions at the root
level.  Any help would be appreciated.
0
Dan4650 (795)

In news:FC06B16E-4365-4FB8-98EB-258FCAE567A2@microsoft.com,
Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hello.  I am using Exchange 2003.  I am trying to secure the root of
> the public folder to keep users from creating folders there.  I have
> sub-folders where they can do that, but I can't seem to restrict
> permissions at the root level.  Any help would be appreciated.

By default, your users shouldn't be able create root folders - someone must
have changed this. Look in the properties of Public Folders in ESM, and
check out who has "create top-level public folder" rights - perhaps users
are part of a group they shouldn't be in.

0
lanwench (7567)
2/6/2007 1:34:20 AM
Thanks.! I checked against another Exchange instance I have and the everyone
group had full permisisons.  Everything's great now.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:FC06B16E-4365-4FB8-98EB-258FCAE567A2@microsoft.com,
> Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Hello.  I am using Exchange 2003.  I am trying to secure the root of
> > the public folder to keep users from creating folders there.  I have
> > sub-folders where they can do that, but I can't seem to restrict
> > permissions at the root level.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> By default, your users shouldn't be able create root folders - someone must
> have changed this. Look in the properties of Public Folders in ESM, and
> check out who has "create top-level public folder" rights - perhaps users
> are part of a group they shouldn't be in.

0
Dan4650 (795)
2/6/2007 2:25:00 AM
In news:24197A15-117E-477B-A996-113EA40C7DC4@microsoft.com,
Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Thanks.! I checked against another Exchange instance I have and the
> everyone group had full permisisons.  Everything's great now.

Glad you found it.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> In news:FC06B16E-4365-4FB8-98EB-258FCAE567A2@microsoft.com,
>> Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Hello.  I am using Exchange 2003.  I am trying to secure the root of
>>> the public folder to keep users from creating folders there.  I have
>>> sub-folders where they can do that, but I can't seem to restrict
>>> permissions at the root level.  Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> By default, your users shouldn't be able create root folders -
>> someone must have changed this. Look in the properties of Public
>> Folders in ESM, and check out who has "create top-level public
>> folder" rights - perhaps users are part of a group they shouldn't be
>> in.

0
lanwench (7567)

User Clss Security
I am new to Microsoft Dynamics, and performing an evaulation using Rel.9. I am attempting to set up user class security to assign to usrs when I add them. When I set up a class for purchaing for example, selecting Windows and a series of Purchasing to allow access to the purchaing screens and save this. Then create a user and assign the class to the user I am creating, the end result when I print a security report for this user, the user has far more authorizations than the windows I granted to the Purchaning class. Authorizations include advanced security, Financials and many others. W...

Advanced Security Error
When I am in the Advanced Security form, I will select a user class (or user) and then select the "by menu" option on right of the form, I get the following error; The stored procedure WDC_Security_CloneClassEntity returned the following results: DBMS: 0, Microsoft Dynamics GP: 50403. I have search the knowledgebase and googled it and I can't find anything about how to fix this error. This error code means that it was trying to clone from an entity that did not exist in the Accelerator tables. I suggest that you Reset the Accelerator from the Advanced Security Options w...

delete items from search folder
I am unable to delete items from a search folder. Every time I try to delete an item, it gives me the message: "The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied." I am not using an exchange server, just POP3 mail accounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Track Activities in Public Folders
I want to put all of our customer contact information in a public folder. I also want activities of each user related to contacts. I know that tracking is configured in the properties of a folder. If the folder is in Public Folders\Favorites, can tracking be configured at the user level? If yes, what will happen when the user synchronizes with the server? If not, is there some other way to accomplish tracking activities related to contacts? ...

Outlook2K7/Vista & Security Certificates??
I'm using Outlook 2007 and Vista Ultimate. My AOL IMAP mail worked fine until a about a week ago. Now I get this error message: "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate cannot be verified. Do want to continue using this server" I click "Yes" and it downloads the new email, but I have to do this each time I open Outlook 2007. Anyone have any clues how to fix this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx can you download the certificate and add it to your trusted certs? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outl...

Security
Now with Money 2005 it seems you are pretty much required to use an MSN Passport to take advantage of its features. This means all your financial information is somewhere on some Microsoft server. Not only some statements from a certain bank, but ALL of your info. Your checking and savings accounts, your investment and retirement accounts and all the necessary passwords to access these accounts at each particular bank. Together with individual notes you may have added to each transaction (and with the combined information of all of your accounts) anyone accessing your data gets a pr...

Public Folder errors in Exchange 2003 System Manager #2
I am receiving the following error when attempting to open Public folders within the System Manager for Exchange 2003. This error occurs for the default Public Folder Tree and all other trees. The same message displays for the public folder stores as well. Exchange System Manager The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. Facility: Win32 ID no: c0072afc Exchange System Manager I can dismount and mount the PF store fine. There is plenty of room on the Exch server. event vwr seems fine. I can view a mailbox only through OWA on the server. I cannot connec...

how to make outlook go to a different folder (then inbox) when opened or tabbed
Does any one know how to make outlook point to some personal folder when it opens and when coming back from the calendar? Thanks, Reuven. Tools->Options->Other->Advanced->When starting Outlook... --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, reuven.sa@gmail.com asked: | Does any one know how to make outlook point to some personal folder | when it opens and when coming back from...

Public folders connection speed
I have Outllok 2007 on my laptop and connect locally to my firm's network with Exchange 2003. I have a POP mail account set up fedding to a a .pst folder on my C drive in addition to the Exchange mailbox. When connected to the network, the access to my Exchange mailbox folder and subfolders is great. But, when I access a public folder, it can take up to several minutes to load and open. Doesn't matter whether they are in the public folder favorites. I didn't have this problem when I had a desktop. It appears that the connection to the public folder uses only a...

Proper Security Settings on Exchange Install Folder?
I am trying to nail down the security of our Exchange 2003 servers before we start a mass migration off 5.5. One issue I am dealing with is securing the Exchange install directory, in my case c:\program files\exchsrvr I have a Microsoft Press Book "Secure Messaging with MS Exchange Server 2003" that talks about doing this on page 144, but the details aren't as clear as I would like them. For example, they say to remove the everyone inheritance. I don't have that. (thats not my question - but right away I'm seeing the book completely different from what I have) Th...

security setup
is there anyway to change security level of cashier by time. for example from 9am to 1 pm they have different security level and from 1 to 5 they have different. Also is there anyway to disable "tender" button on POS for all cashiers. i want to dedicate one of my machines just to make work orders so knowbody can tender amount on it. thank you Shoby, Not that I'm aware of. If you can't press the F12 Tender button, you can't save the workorder. But you can disable the Amount column in the Tender screen. When in POS, click on the bottom blank button on the le...

text box email publication
I am a publisher novice. I am trying to develop an e-mail newletter. The templates in publisher have a text box under each article with what appears to be a hyperlink with "more details". I assume this will enable the reader of the email to expand the text box and see the full details of the article. I like this feature as it means that readers only get to see the title and abstract and then can select the articles they want to read in full. Unfortunately I can not work out how to use this function and as usual help is no help. Tim no such feature in Publisher. "kiwi ti...

outlook is synchronizing folders
I get "outlook is synchronizing folders" animated icon in the systray many, many times a day and often it is there for a very long time. Sometimes it appears that it's presence prevents email from being sent/received until I close Outlook and restart the application. Is there a way to turn off this "feature"? WinXPpro Office 2003 Pop3 mail. ...

Outlook 2000 security update
Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security update? which one/why ? N "Jeremy" <jeremylee1975@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:01dc01c3ce3e$3509e140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security > update? ...

email routing to public folders
Does anyone know how Exchange 2000 correctly routes smtp email to a folder in the public folder hierarchy ? Active Directory holds the email addresses but has no record of hierarchy paths or host servers. Can the address - folder correspondnce be displayed manually, or by program ? http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/10/06/238821.aspx <johnjkjk84@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1109892230.561464.110920@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know how Exchange 2000 correctly routes smtp email to a > folder in the public folder hierarchy ? Active Directory holds th...

Public folders, Do not have the right
Hi All, We have a bunch of public folders on an E2k3. Some Users get a do not have rights message in Outlook if they try to open a message in an public folder. The interesting thing is, that they can acces some messages within the same folder. And the user sitting next to the first can open other messages and some not. Looks like the permissions of the public folder are not propageted correctly to all of the messages within the folder. Tried to reaply the permissions, but this doesn´t help. Any suggestions? ...

Default Security Roles for Canadian Payroll
It would be nice to have the same type of security roles in Version 10 when you install Canadian Payroll as you do with US payroll. Fliehigh You could probably "mimic" the same security roles for Canadian payroll, no? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Fliehigh" wrote: > It would be nice to have the same type of security roles in Version 10 when > you install Canadian Payroll as you do with US payroll. > > Fliehigh No because the tasks do not mimic or relate to the US P...

Outlook 2003 Security
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with outlook 2003 when i am trying to synchronise my nokia 8210i phone to my addresses and calendar. When i try and do this i get the box popup that says that i have to allow access, so i press 10 minutes and allow. The only problem is that i have too much stuff i think and it takes longer then 10 minutes to sync. Its also through a serial cable, so it doesnt help. But when the 10 mins is up, then it wont allow the sync to finish and so it drops the connection with the nokia without finishing what needs to be done. I have tried the little install of click ye...

Apply that security package
--yuockqlvko Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mkoqpquddlxw"; type="multipart/alternative" --mkoqpquddlxw Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="erudxjyh" --erudxjyh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help main...

Public folders misbehaving
We recently migrated to 2003 from 5.5 and I'm having a problem where a user cannot delete their own items with publishing author permissions. I can create a new folder and everything works fine, but on my migrated folders I'm having this problem. Is there a way to fix this without having to re-create my public folders? Travis Callihan <Ted_Bronson@hotmail.com> wrote: >We recently migrated to 2003 from 5.5 and I'm having a problem where a user >cannot delete their own items with publishing author permissions. I can >create a new folder and everything works fin...

Secure Site Security Emblem
Windows XP(Home) SP3, OE6, IE8; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for Virus/Malware 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier, Windows XP (Home) SP3, 2 External USB 500/1TB Hard Drives (NTFS), 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller - Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz, BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.0...

How do I email a publisher publication?
When I've tried to simply email it, just one page is sent. I don't want to send it as an attachment because then readers who don't have Publisher can't open it. BTW can anyone recommend a good book to learn about Publisher? Most folks send it as a pdf file. Most everybody has Acrobat Reader and if not it is available for free on thousands of web sites. To convert your pub file to a pdf file you will need a pdf creating program. There are several available beyond the spendy Adobe Acrobat, commercial, freebee and shareware. Many folks here like the freebee Primopdf but I pr...

Security Service Error
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C3F55C.A5DEBC20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Ok, I have a problem... my CRM Security Service fails to start and this = is the error I get: Source: MSCRMSecurityService Event ID: 5920 Error: An error occurred while attempting to update the SCP (Active = Directory update). -2147016656 (0x80072030) Description: There is no = such object on the server. I used to work then i rebooted and now this... Any Ideas, everything = else seems to be running ...

Security
I need to be able to prevent certain users from changing a single text box in our Customer Maintenance window. My understanding is that we shoudl be able to do this with Field Level Security. I am relatively new to Great Plains and would like some advice as to whether I am on the right track, and any recomendations on good references for this. ----- Thanks in Advance Chris Hornung Chris - yes, you could do that with Field Level Security. This would be a good option of you need to lock the field on a conditional basis--such as with a password. If you have Modifier, you can also just...

Public Information Store Queue
Hi, I've been running Exchange 2000 native on 3 servers until last night when I did an in place upgrade on one of them to Exchange 2003 SP1 (upgrading the server from Win2k to Windows 2003 SP1 in the process). The upgrade has gone smoothly but for one thing. In the SMTP Queues on the 2k3 server I now have an entry called "Public Information Store (SERVER-NAME)" with an ever growing number of messages sent from my other 2 Exchange 2000 machines. These have been accumulating since I did the upgrade (the first messages in the queue date from the time the upgrade was all finished...