SBS 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp2

Hello all

Is there any issues with migrating inboxes from a SBS 2003 server to a
server dedicated to Exchange 2003? What i want to do is move all the
mailboxes and then make the dedicated Exchange server the mail server for the
domain, so i have to move all the pf and any system folders as well.

Also the question is a bit of topic, but currently the SBS server is the
AD/GC and DNS server for the domain, we are moving away from SBS, and using
dedicated machines for these purposes. Can i just add this machine to the
domain do a DC promo, make it a GC and then move all the roles from the SBS
server to the other server and then demote the SBS to a member server. Does
this sound correct?

Thanks again

Thanks

0
Skip1 (502)

Since you're moving away from SBS, please understand that it's generally not
considered a best practice to install Exchange on a domain controller
because it's a lot harder to recover that way.  Be advised that once you
decide to install Exchange on a domain controller, you're stuck with the
decision because it is not supported to run DCPROMO on an Exchange server.
Therefore I would recommend that you move Exchange to a member server and
bring up another server as your new domain controller.

As far as I know (I don't work with SBS) you can follow this process:
http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm

--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> Is there any issues with migrating inboxes from a SBS 2003 server to a
> server dedicated to Exchange 2003? What i want to do is move all the
> mailboxes and then make the dedicated Exchange server the mail server for
> the
> domain, so i have to move all the pf and any system folders as well.
>
> Also the question is a bit of topic, but currently the SBS server is the
> AD/GC and DNS server for the domain, we are moving away from SBS, and
> using
> dedicated machines for these purposes. Can i just add this machine to the
> domain do a DC promo, make it a GC and then move all the roles from the
> SBS
> server to the other server and then demote the SBS to a member server.
> Does
> this sound correct?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Thanks

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/22/2006 6:25:21 PM
Yes that is what i am planning on doing. I have two new 64 bit boxes.

One box is dedicated to Exchange and the other will be dedicated to a DC/GC.
I jsut want to know if there are any issues with moving all the Exchange
functions from a SBS server and the AD domain functions from a SBS server to
a dedicated machines.

thanks

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Since you're moving away from SBS, please understand that it's generally not
> considered a best practice to install Exchange on a domain controller
> because it's a lot harder to recover that way.  Be advised that once you
> decide to install Exchange on a domain controller, you're stuck with the
> decision because it is not supported to run DCPROMO on an Exchange server.
> Therefore I would recommend that you move Exchange to a member server and
> bring up another server as your new domain controller.
>
> As far as I know (I don't work with SBS) you can follow this process:
> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm
>
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all
> >
> > Is there any issues with migrating inboxes from a SBS 2003 server to a
> > server dedicated to Exchange 2003? What i want to do is move all the
> > mailboxes and then make the dedicated Exchange server the mail server for
> > the
> > domain, so i have to move all the pf and any system folders as well.
> >
> > Also the question is a bit of topic, but currently the SBS server is the
> > AD/GC and DNS server for the domain, we are moving away from SBS, and
> > using
> > dedicated machines for these purposes. Can i just add this machine to the
> > domain do a DC promo, make it a GC and then move all the roles from the
> > SBS
> > server to the other server and then demote the SBS to a member server.
> > Does
> > this sound correct?
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > Thanks

0
Skip1 (502)
9/22/2006 6:41:02 PM
I don't know of any, but you really ought to ask an SBS group.  I'm sure
they help people do this all the time.
--

> Yes that is what i am planning on doing. I have two new 64 bit boxes.
>
> One box is dedicated to Exchange and the other will be dedicated to a
> DC/GC.
> I jsut want to know if there are any issues with moving all the Exchange
> functions from a SBS server and the AD domain functions from a SBS server
> a dedicated machines.
>
> thanks
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Since you're moving away from SBS, please understand that it's generally
>> not
>> considered a best practice to install Exchange on a domain controller
>> because it's a lot harder to recover that way.  Be advised that once you
>> decide to install Exchange on a domain controller, you're stuck with the
>> decision because it is not supported to run DCPROMO on an Exchange
>> server.
>> Therefore I would recommend that you move Exchange to a member server and
>> bring up another server as your new domain controller.
>>
>> As far as I know (I don't work with SBS) you can follow this process:
>> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all
>> >
>> > Is there any issues with migrating inboxes from a SBS 2003 server to a
>> > server dedicated to Exchange 2003? What i want to do is move all the
>> > mailboxes and then make the dedicated Exchange server the mail server
>> > for
>> > the
>> > domain, so i have to move all the pf and any system folders as well.
>> >
>> > Also the question is a bit of topic, but currently the SBS server is
>> > the
>> > AD/GC and DNS server for the domain, we are moving away from SBS, and
>> > using
>> > dedicated machines for these purposes. Can i just add this machine to
>> > the
>> > domain do a DC promo, make it a GC and then move all the roles from the
>> > SBS
>> > server to the other server and then demote the SBS to a member server.
>> > Does
>> > this sound correct?
>> >
>> > Thanks again
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/22/2006 7:50:13 PM
No you need the SBS transition pack which converts all that stuff to non-SBS
licensed. You should post on the SBS group for more info on that.

--
Thanks,
Brian Desmond

www.briandesmond.com

"skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> Is there any issues with migrating inboxes from a SBS 2003 server to a
> server dedicated to Exchange 2003? What i want to do is move all the
> mailboxes and then make the dedicated Exchange server the mail server for
> the
> domain, so i have to move all the pf and any system folders as well.
>
> Also the question is a bit of topic, but currently the SBS server is the
> AD/GC and DNS server for the domain, we are moving away from SBS, and
> using
> dedicated machines for these purposes. Can i just add this machine to the
> domain do a DC promo, make it a GC and then move all the roles from the
> SBS
> server to the other server and then demote the SBS to a member server.
> Does
> this sound correct?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Thanks

0
brian8226 (79)

Our exchange server is the domain controller too.i want to seperate them!??!!??!
Hi in our company we implement Exchange server as pilot.when i install it, i creat the domain controller on this. But we had a main domain cntroller before.now i want this exchange server to use the resource of our main domain controller.what should i do? Thanks Mina On 11 Mar 2006 21:09:33 -0800, "Mina" <mabbasi@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi >in our company we implement Exchange server as pilot.when i install it, >i creat the domain controller on this. But we had a main domain >cntroller before.now i want this exchange server to use the resource of >our main domain c...

dissapearing spreadsheet- excel 2003
Something awful has happened. I just finished a massive spreadsheet down to the last detail. Everything balanced out, it was perfect. I was ready to print the final draft. I wanted to take out the grid lines and the a-z and 123.. borders so I was looking at various commands on the tool bar. I got to the "insert' heading and clicked on "worksheet" to see what it was. Everything is now gone....... I am sick. Please tell me how to get the spreadsheet back. I have tried to open the one I want from the saved files but nothing but a blank worksheet comes up. While looking thru t...

Publisher 2003 Catologue Merge
http://home.a03.itscom.net/tsuzu/programing/en/ Here is a real winner that popped up today on www.nonags.com This is the perfect tool for the Publisher 2003 Catalogue Merge. This program will automatically list all the picture files in a folder to use with a Publisher 2003 Catalogue Merge. Does exactly what you want, has all the options you need, including sort, file extension you want etc. etc. Just a magic little program with all the needs and requirements. It will be so easy for users just to copy the path information to their database/CSV file whatever - simple I think if I sat down a...

Archiving the Outlook 2003 Calendar
My archive utility seems to be only working sporadically. When I attempt to archive my calendar, sometimes it works and I get a .pst file that is 2,000 kb (+). At other times it creates a .pst file that is only 265 kb in size and contains on data. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this? I'm asking that it archive items older than the current date (but I've also tried archiving items older than yesterday and had similar results). Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. Any suggestions will be appreciated. ...

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration headache!
Hi folks, Hoping someone can help me :( After spending yesterday prepping the source server- running both SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (and resolving all issues until they both came back clean), full backup, Migration Prep Tool, answer file etc I was finally ready to get going with the destination server today. I was very thorough with the documentation, taking it all step by step. All looked well, until it seemed to hang on what looked to be a final step. I don't recall getting the replication delay pop-up that I've seen m...

"Bogus HELO" from Exchange.
I've been reading these message boards for a couple hours, and cant seem to find the fix I need to confirm how Exchange uses HELO. I support many clients using Exchange 2000/2003, along with SBS 2000/2003. It has been brought to my attention that people sending to domains using the Secureserver.net SPAM filter are now getting reject notices: There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <mail.ipsaintl.com #5.5.0 smtp;553 Bogus helo 64.202.166.12. <http://unblock.secureserver.net/?ip=216.185.184.26>&...

Outlook 2003 hangs when downloading POP3 messages

Exchange 2003 OWA #3
I am having a problem receiving certin attachments using Outlook web access 2003 ( owa ) I Can receive .zip , .pdf , and even .rar files with no problems... how ever when i receive an Microsoft Access file ( .mdb ) it says " Access to the following potentially unsafe attachments has been blocked: Filename.mdb" This is also happening when I try to receive a .xml file. I have been searching all over for info on this and can't find any... any help here would be greatly appreciated... Our server setup just incase you need it is... Win 2k server running exchange ...

OWA setup on SBS 2003
Hi, I can't access OWA on an SBS 2003 server, for any user. Not sure what is stopping it - is it ISA settings? I've checked in Active Directory Users and Domains under the user and they are permitted to use OWA. Also tried to connect using Sever Activesync and a smart phone, but that failed too. Hope you can help. Neil Hi, Could be ISA server stopping OWA from functioning, could also be a lot of other things (like permisions on folders, web site etc). What happens when you try to access OWA? Leif "Neil G Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in mes...

Excel 2003 Slow
Have any other users of Excel 2003 found it really slow when entering data into cells. I know 2 others users who have the same problem and we are being slowly driven mad with frustration. Is there some option we can deselect somewhere that will speed things up? No comments have come in about this, so I don't know how many others have the same problem I wrote about below a few days ago. However I have found a way round it - to uninstall Excel 2003 and install Excel XP instead. Now I can enter data in cells at my usual speed. I'd still really like to know what causes the slowness ...

NT Backup with Exchange 2003
I am not sure whether or not my backup is actually performing. I have selected the Exchange Server to be backup up to a file, but when I go to restore, and I catalog the file and look at the Mailbox Store it reads 'no entries found'. Is this normal? This is with Server 2000 Standard and Exchange 2003 Here is what is in the log: Backup Status Operation: Backup Active backup destination: File Media name: "Media created 7/27/2004 at 1:05 AM" Backup of "CRAZYJUMPER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group" Backup set #1 on media #1 Backup descriptio...

Outlook and Office 2003
Outlook hangs when trying to attach files via the paperclip icon and excel and word hang when moving up through the directory structure while I am trying to "open" or "save as". Has anyone come across these problems and are there any fixes/work arounds? I really don't want to reinstall 2000! Thanks Ian Is this from local or network drives? If network drives, pure Microsoft world or are you living in a mixed world of Novell, Unix, .etc and Microsoft? FWIW, I've seen Microsoft Office applications hang in the file open/save dialog and living in a Novell/Mic...

Unable to add an e-mail address to an existing contact in Outlook 2003
When I try to add an address to one of my contacts it dissapears as soon as I enter it and tab to the next field. I've tried "enter" too. I've tried detect and repair, I've looked in newsgroups for a similar problem, but I'm not seeing it. Any help out there for this problem? Thanks, Eric Where are you trying to add it in the contact record? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Eric Feinstein <erc1@nospamhotmail.com> asked: | When I try to a...

Tool available to install Exchange SP2 on SBS 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6&displayLang=en Works great. Note you need to download and extract Exchange SP2 before running the tool. -- Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/ I hope I'm not the only one who read your post? I'll just post now even though I read this the day you posted. Thanks for the much needed info, Kerry Russ :) -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certifi...

Bugs worked out with XP SP2 and Outlook?
When SP2 just came out, one functionality that existed in Outlook 2003 (while using Word as e-mail editor) didn't work anymore, the icons (in Web Tools toolbar) that allowed embedding of sound, video, and marquee text in e-mail. I wrote about that problem here, and there was a response that that is a known bug, that Microsoft was working on. Has there been a fix for this yet, either through a SP2 update, or an Outlook 2003 update? Are you running Windows XP SP2? I think that is what has broken it (or an update to IE). It's broken in Outlook 2003 too. " MS" <ms@nospa...

Exchange Users have lost rights
ok all users have now lost the ability to delete or send emails all users use OWA only when they try to delete a email they get "Some items could not be deleted. They ware either moved, already deleted or access was denied" When some one tries to send a email they get "forbidin" When some one tries to move a folder or create a folder they get "Access denied" i dont knwo what i did or where to check at this point thanks Roger, check the mailbox server's event logs & available disk space. If you have front-end / back-end topology, try running OWA a...

Tidying up 5.5 pre 2003?
OK I'm going to spend some time tomorrow tidying up our 5.5 directory ready for when I start migrating us to 2003. So far I'm planning on: Getting rid of all old/unnecessary mailboxes (duh!) Setting all resource mailboxes to no Primary NT account, users have access via the permissions tab (assuming ADC will create disabled domain account). Setting ex-employee mailboxes so that their already disabled domain account is the primary account, again their manager has access via the permissions tab. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? TIA, Paul -- paul@spamcop.net Pau...

Ms Outlook 2003 #5
Hi. I have Vista Home Edition. I am trying to set up my mail accounts with Microsoft Outlook 2003 in Vista. When I put all the details and I test the setting it asks me to verify the E mail address. I know its correct as it works ok in Windows mail Is Outlook 2003 able to work in Vista or do I have a setting wrong??? Outlook 2003 works fine in Windows Vista. Did you check your email = address as suggested? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =...

Migrating AD Back to SBS
We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone. Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch. Thanks, Chris There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain, but...

Outlook 2003 won't shutdown
On one users computer I can't get Outlook 2003 to shutdown completely. After closing the app the icon stays in the taskbar and won't go away. When you try and right click on the icon you get nothing and when you double left click it pops up a baloon that reads... Outlook is not rsponding. If your are using and Exchange server e-mail account, you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area, and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu. After this the only way to close it is to go into Task Manager and end task out the OUTLO...

Office pro 2003
Office pro 2003 - Works 2004, Publisher 2003, Plus! Digital Media Ed OFFICE SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL V2003 (c) MICROSOFT [5 CDs] CD1=OFFICE 11 CD2=FRONTPAGE 2003 CD3=VISIO 2003 PRO CD4=PROJECT 2003 PRO CD5=ONENOTE 2003 SN: OFFICE11: GWH28-DGCMP-P6RC4-6J4MT-3HFDY SN: for REST: WFDWY-XQXJF-RHRYG-BG7RQ-BBDHM Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 Microsoft Works Suite 2004 [5 cdS] SN:QTXM8-56C9R-XQPRT-CTJJ8-PPGGD Plus! Digital Media Edition (c) Microsoft 12 337 we will help You to find any software which need Yo...

Adding additional SMTP domain address to an Organisation
Has anyone seen any articles relating to adding an additional smtp domain name to an existing exchange organisation? For example we already have an Exchange org setup using the domain name @abc.com and have created a different side of the business that wishes to also use the smtp address of @def.com. I need to work out how we would introduce the additional @def.com to our Exchange systems and in so doing so keep our existing domain of @abc.com. We are not planning to introduce any other additional new exchange servers to accomodate the additional domain, and the majority of users will...

MSN messenger and Exchange 2003
Hi, Is it possible to use MSN messenger connect to Exchange 2003, so that staffs can talk to each other witin the Exchange 2003 environment ? If it's possible, how exactly can that be done ? I am trying to find some step by step doco but with no luck so far... Is this setup recommended or it's something that better to avoid ? TIA Steven You can do it with Exchange 2000, but microsoft have shifted it to Live communication server fro 2003. Its like an internal msn. "Steven Wong" <sazabi75@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eSL4s6uJGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Launching specific spreadsheet from Desktop in Excel 2003
Excel 2003 SP3 WinXP Pro SP2 How do I launch a specific spreadsheet using Excel 2003 from the Desktop? Obviously, I can launch Excel but I can't determine the syntax for a specific spreadsheet. I've tried "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office ...\Excel.exe" 'C:\MyExcel\Documents\LaunchIt.xls' and a variety of iterations. Any direction or guidance appreciated. Eventually, I'd like to set my "Most Frequently Used" documents as icons on the Desktop. TIA, Tom Tom With Excel open, go to File>Open and right-click on the file you need a shortcut to. Se...

Let me add personal bullets in Publisher 2003
I would like to add a personal bullet into my document in Publisher 2003 like I can in Word 2003 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=92bb8625-046e-41bd-83b2-cc047f45762d&dg=microsoft.publi...