Running File Level Virus Scanning on an E2K3 Front-End Server

Would it be fairly safe to install a File Level Virus Scanner (SAV 9.0) on a
Win2K3 E2K3 SP1 Front End server that is only hosting OWA?

There are no databases and the only Exchange related services running are:

HTTP-Service, SMTP-Service, Exchange System Attendant, and Exchange Routing
Engine.
0
kcarlini (132)

"MR-KEN" <kcarlini@netopia.com> wrote in

> Would it be fairly safe to install a File Level Virus Scanner (SAV
> 9.0) on a Win2K3 E2K3 SP1 Front End server that is only hosting OWA?

Yes, I wouldn't hesitate. You've heard of the recent problems with
vanilla 9.0 right?

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

Exclude the following folders from both "on-demand" and "memory resident"
file-level scanners:

Microsoft Internet Information Service (IIS) system files in the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Inetsrv folder.

NOTE: The Exchsrvr\address, Exchsrvr\bin, Exchsrvr\Exchweb, Exchsrvr\Res,
and the Exchsrvr\Schema folders are generally safte to include in a scan.
However, you may want to exclude the whole Exchsrvr folder from both
"on-demand" and "memory resident" file-level scanners. We strongly
recommended that you temporarily disable file-based scanning software during
operating system and Exchange upgrades; this includes upgrading to new
versions of Exchange or the operating system, and applying any Exchange or
operating system fixes or service packs.

Also see th MS KB article

328841: Exchange and antivirus software

Cheers!!!
Rahul
0
Rahul (25)
2/17/2005 6:17:04 PM
Hi Ken,

We can and are also recommended to install some antivirus firewall on our
Exchange server for some security thoughts. However, you'd better prior to
contact the antivirus software vendors to see if this firewall is
compatible with Exchange server. For more information, please refer to:

328841 Exchange and antivirus software
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328841

If you find the Exchange server become unstable after installing the
antivirus software, we can increase the diagnostics logging in ESM to
monitor virus scanning for further troubleshooting. To do so:

-- Open ESM, open the properties pane of Server
-- Click the Diagnostics Logging tab
-- Select MSExchangeIS/System/Virus Scanning
-- Click Maximum, and then click Apply.
-- Open event view to check the error event in application or system log.

Regards,

Pat Cai
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada. This and
other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

v-patcai (151)

Need only one DLL instance to run...

multiple worksheets in html
I want to create a workbook with multiple worksheets in html format. This is easy to do by creating one file per sheet and loading each into my workbook using '<x:WorksheetSource HRef="filename"/>'. This, however, results in 3+ files for 2 worksheets. I would like to put all of the data in one file. Is this possible? thanks, -mikael ...

Header and Footer within a transaction file.
Good Day To all: I'm trying to devise a way to concatenate 3 text files to form one flat file within a macro. The object of this exercise to include a header and footer record within a file that has transactions. Can anyone provide a suggestion in to how to achieve this? Hi Ken Can you give more information What are "text files" in this context What does this mean "include a header and footer record" -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Ken" wrote: > Good Day To all: > > I'm trying to devise a way to concatenate 3 text files to form one ...

SOAP Server Application Faulted 08-10-04

Project Server integration with Dynamics GP (Project Accounting)
Hi, We are a Cape Town based Dynamics GP reseller and have a prospect that wishes to implement Dynamics GP (Project Accounting) integrated with Project Server. If you know of any solutions or solution providers that could meet this requirement, please could you send me their contact details. What in your opinion is the best (and cheapest) solution out there currently? Thanks Neil Palmer I searched the internet and came up with this company's website: http://www.mbscrm.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx I know there is at least one other but can't find it. -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

Word Mail Merge with Excel as data file
Word 2003 Excel 2003 Windows XP Why would a mail merge show only every other Excel row when merging with a Microsoft Word form? I am also cross-referening this to the Word forum. Thanks in advance! Sounds like perhaps you have TWO <<next record>> fields in your main document for each, and you should only have one. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "HT" <asfafd@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OER87r9hFHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Word 2003 > Excel 2003 > Windows XP > > Why would a mail merge show only every othe...

[Outlook 2010] IMAP: change corresponding pst file
Hello, I'm using Outlook 2010 with an IMAP account at 1&1 in germany. When I set up the profile in Outlook, this account was connected with a pst file myemailaddress.pst Due to unknown reasons this account is now connected to myemailaddress(3).pst I also can' send any emails from this account. The error message is: "Error (0x8004010F) .....: Can't access the outlook data file." How can I point the profile to the original pst file? -- Ciao , Frank. When you use IMAP, outlook creates the pst for the imap account and you can't change it. If the chang...

Restrict type of files in a document library
There any way to limit the types of files in a specific document library? I know it can be done from the central administration but I understand that this will affect all libraries. The idea is that a given library only accept Office documents for example. Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_7C45577A Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Vicente, This feature is not available OOB in Libraries or lists. However there can be a workaround using custom event handlers on lists. Event Handler works on lists basis, you can just check for the file extension of...

run time error 10-22-03

E2K3
Our company is preparing for E2K3, one of the new policies we wanted to enforce was Prohibit Send and Receive limits. We did not enforce this in Ex5.5, but now we want to. Planned E2K3 limits would be 90MB-Warning, 100MB - Prohibit Send and 300MB - Prohibit Send and Receive. In our initial testing, it appears as though the Prohibit Send and Receive limit is not checked or enforced until the MAINTENANCE INTERVAL (MI)is run. We have this (MI) set to run at 1am-5am, so it looks like a user could continue to receive mail, say up to 900MB+ prior to the MI run, and after it runs, mail would ...

Automatically run macro

restoring files in DPM 2010
When you do a restore of a file is there anyway to restore the file without the complete path? Example: If I'm restoring a word document to an alternate location, I want to restore the file to c:\restored but when the restore is complete I get path restored as well.... so c:\restored\data\research\test\doc1.doc thanks Hey Homer, I don't think that this is possible, I seem not to find an option in the gui that can do this but maybe some powershell command can do this? Cheers, Mike Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be "Homer J. Si...

Excel Continuous Running Total

tables created by Linking an Excel File
Hi Mates I have a linked access table created from an excel spreadsheet. Then I used Table Analyze feature in access to split this and the split created 3 seperate tables. When the excel spreadsheet is changed the linked table gets updated but split tables remains unchanged. Is there a way these split tables to get updated automatically. Thanks mates in advance for your help. Sarah W Hi Sarah, The table analyzer is designed for splitting a non-normalised table into two or more new, normalised tables. This is a one-time process: the new tables are entirely separate from the old one. T...

Money 2002 will not run

Saving reports as a .pdf or .rpt file.
Hello: Can someone please tell me how I can save my Excel reports as a .pdf or .rpt file, if this is possible? Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards, Dinesh. Dinesh, Not sure about .rpt files, but to save as a pdf you need to own the full version of acrobat (not just the reader). Then you can print to pdf. Dan E "Dinesh" <needhelp@needhelp.com> wrote in message news:0b4401c381eb$aea173a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hello: > > Can someone please tell me how I can save my Excel reports > as a .pdf or .rpt file, if this is possible? Your help is > greatly...

Unable to Start Live Communication Server 2005 SP1
Hi Guys, I've recently deployed LCS 2005 SP1 in my network environment, but somehow I wasn't able to start the service after the Activation stage. When I checked the event viewer, these are the errors I got: Event Type: Error Event Source: Live Communications Server Event Category: (1000) Event ID: 12299 Date: 2/24/2006 Time: 7:03:32 PM User: N/A Computer: MERCURY Description: The service is shutting down due to an internal error. Error Code: 0xC3EA5008. Resolution: Check the previous event log entries and resolve them. Restart the server. If the problem persists contact produ...

ip & port scan (legal:-))
hi group, I'm working on a instant messaging project. Everthing's kewl except for the main thing - finding connections. I would like to create a totaly SERVERLESS IM application, which means that i would not like to use even a simple 'online users' XML database or similar.. After weeks of contemplating:) i've come to the conclusion that the only way might be a port scan (of my server port). i.e. when my user wants to go online, his server part of the application starts to listen, AND a separate part of the prog starts scanning computers AROUND him (geographically), gradu...

Open files
Can't open any pub. file if it contains more than one page Are you referring to a .pub file or a web pages? Post Publisher version and website address if one. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD8CC5C8-508B-41B4-9E21-A9D29770C69F@microsoft.com... > Can't open any pub. file if it contains more than one page We only use publisher for report writing so it would be a .pub file. The version is 2007 "Don Schmidt" wrote: > Are you referring to a .pub file or a web pages? > ...

How to Import files from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook2003
I am trying to import my .pst files(in Outlook Express 6 into Outlook 2003. Is this possible.... whats the best way to do it? Thanks SJ >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to import my .pst files(in Outlook Express 6 >into Outlook 2003. Is this possible.... whats the best >way to do it? > >Thanks > >SJ >. > If You are using Outlook 2003 GO TO TOOLS --> Accounts -- > View Change Accounts Click on New Outlook Data File and add your PST there. In article <081f01c3c4ce$2eba1540$a001280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says....

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

OLE Server Error Message
Access 2002. I am running a database compiled with Access 2003 on a system that is using Access XP (2002). When I exit the database I get an "information" dialog that says: A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server. Try one or more of the following: *Make sure you're connected to the network server where the OLE server application is located. *Close the OLE server and restart it outside of Microsoft Access. Then try the original operation again from within Microsoft Access. *Reinstall the OLE server to ensure that it's register...