Rules exception

Here's a strange one:

I have a client who is part of a larger organzation.  They're
constantly getting e-mails from "HQDA Exchange Administrator" that the
larger organization is sending around to everyone.  My users want to
simply ignore these e-mails as they rarely have anything to do with
us.  I wrote up instructions for using the Rules Wizard to
automatically delete the e-mails if "Exchange Administrator" is found
in the senders from address.  But, for some reason, the rule simply
will not delete the e-mails.  It will work with any other user name
but seems to refuse to delete the ones from the administrator.  Is
there some special treatment given to e-mails from the Exchange
Administrator in Outlook 2000?  Could it be that the senders are doing
something special to the e-mails to keep them from being automatically
deleted?

--Rob Hook
0
rob_hook (1)

What does the rule say exactly?
Are the emails being sent to a Distribution List?

On 26 Oct 2004 14:22:31 -0700, rob_hook@yahoo.com (Rob Hook) wrote:

>Here's a strange one:
>
>I have a client who is part of a larger organzation.  They're
>constantly getting e-mails from "HQDA Exchange Administrator" that the
>larger organization is sending around to everyone.  My users want to
>simply ignore these e-mails as they rarely have anything to do with
>us.  I wrote up instructions for using the Rules Wizard to
>automatically delete the e-mails if "Exchange Administrator" is found
>in the senders from address.  But, for some reason, the rule simply
>will not delete the e-mails.  It will work with any other user name
>but seems to refuse to delete the ones from the administrator.  Is
>there some special treatment given to e-mails from the Exchange
>Administrator in Outlook 2000?  Could it be that the senders are doing
>something special to the e-mails to keep them from being automatically
>deleted?
>
>--Rob Hook

0
adavid (8731)

Processing a rule dependant on time
I would like to forward any home email I receive during the working day (9-5:30) to my work address (my home PC is always on). Is there any way with rules that a message is only forwarded if received within a specified date span? Thanks for any help. Steve -- [email: remove the SPAMTRAP] No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Netman � asked: | I would like to forward any home e...

Query-based list w/1 Exception
I've created a query based distribtuion list which works fine yet out of the 1000 or so mailboxes it gives me I'd like to exclude 10. Is there a way? (Basically I have checked only "Users with Exchange mailbox") Make those 10 recipients members of a distribution group, and add the following to the query: (&(your current query)(!memberOf=distinguished Name of the distribution group)) Alternatively, if there's a common value of a particular attribute like location/city/department, et al, use that to exclude them. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com ...

Outlook rules similar to Express
I my POP3 email account has two alias that correspond to two XP logon accounts. I set up two rules in each XP logon for Outlook express to do the following. In A's account 1) if email is not for A or B delete from server 2) if email is not for A leave on server In B's account 1) if email is not for A or B delete from server 2) if email is not for B leave on server So with one POP3 account that has two alias, I setup two seperate virtual email accounts. Now, how do I do this with Outlook! I need rule actions like "delete from server" and "leave on server". ...

How to create a rule to move emails based on a particular domain
Hi, How can I create a rule to move emails based on a particular domain of the email? Ex I want to move all email from @domain.com, but without specifying first or last names In Outlook 2000 I don't see that option in rules wizard. Thanks in advance, Net <javascripting@iwon.com> wrote: > How can I create a rule to move emails based on a particular domain of > the email? Ex I want to move all email from @domain.com, but without > specifying first or last names > In Outlook 2000 I don't see that option in rules wizard. The "with specific words in the sender...

Create Outlook 2000/XP/2003 Rules in Deployment
Hi all, I am writing an Outlook Plug-In that filters all incoming mail for SPAM. So I am trying to figure out how to create an Outlook Rule (to call my code and dll) programmatically. So, does anybody know how to create an Outlook Rule programmatically, or how to copy an Outlook 2000 rule to another computer that is running Outlook 2000, XP or 2003? Thanks John Stratoudakis It's not really practical. While there is a Rule.dll COM component that = you can use with CDO 1.21 (see http://www.outlookcode.com/d/exstech.htm) = to create rules, all it can do is create very simple server-base...

I want to create a rule for Outlook via programming
I need to create (actually MODIFY a rule) via VB. I use excel, and I send out emails. I want to trap all emails that are responses from the addresses I sent to. How can I do this? I send out about 150 emails aday, and so I will need to first, check to see if the address is already in the list, second, add it to the list, if it is not already in the list, then I would like to MOVE it to a replies folder Haw can I do this? Also, where can I find info about programming RULES? I am using OL 2002. I would be modifing the RULES from EXCEL (this is where I send out the email) As a second optio...

can I back my mail rules
I use Outlook 2002. My junk senders rule has about 50 spam addresses. Can the rules be backed up? I'd hate to have to make the rules all over again In article <225a01c3bf27$65e545a0$7d02280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... |I use Outlook 2002. My junk senders rule has about 50 |spam addresses. Can the rules be backed up? I'd hate to |have to make the rules all over again | It's a text file called "Junk Senders.txt". (Really!) skip <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I use Outlook 2002. My junk senders rule ha...

Server side rule
I need to print certain emails to Network printer. Does anybody have any idea how I could do this? Not with a rule. Maybe with an Exchange event sink. Start at = http://msdn.microsoft.com/exchange/ and ask questions in the = microsoft.public.exchange.development newsgroup. --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "PAC" <casale@connecttime....

Rule to delete certain mails after <n> days?
I subscribed to a service that sends me daily status msgs. on a subject. Now - when I was gone for a few days, e.g. after vacations, I find of course several emails from that source in my inbox most of which by then are obsolete and of no interest any more. What I would like to do is define a rule that deletes emails from a certain sender once they are more than, say, 2 days old. Can that somehow be done using Outlook's mail rules? I tried doing that using the rules wizard but found no rule that seemed to fit my bill. Michael No, you can't use rules since they operate on mail when...

Exception to password-protected document
Is it possible to password-protect the opening of a document for all users, EXCEPT one? Thanks Nope... The password to open files is an all or nothing proposition. Once open you can restrict the ability of different users in terms of the cells they are able to update. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "meems" wrote: > Is it possible to password-protect the opening of a document for all users, > EXCEPT one? > > Thanks ...

Rule to identify a from address
I am using Outlook 2003 and would like to filter mails emanating from a specific address to a folder. I have 2 problems: 1. While I can identify mails coming "through a specific account" but NOT through a specific EMAIL address ... for example an alias belonging to an account! 2. There seems to be no way of MOVING the mail to a folder. The closest ready-made rule is "move a copy to the specified folder". It has been possible to do this for years for years in emails clients like Eudora ... so I cannot believe that this is not possible in Outlook ... Can someone plea...

create specific rules like all emails other than from HOTM...
Ho can i create a rule which would send emails from all ids other than from say XXX@ittme.com to go to office folder & anyother must go to MISC Folder? Create a rule that moves the 'XXX@ittme.com' items to the office folder then create another rules that moves all mail items to the MISC folder. Order them so that the 'XXX' one runs first. Make sure each rule ends in a Stop Processing action also "GG" <GG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9AA9859-ECB9-46BD-897C-0DF0207D972E@microsoft.com... > Ho can i create a rule which would send e...

How do I set a rule to close emails after deleting them from inbo.
Often I open emails and then head back to my inbox and decide to delete them there. If I delete an item from the inbox and have left the item open... I would like to automatically have the item close after I've deleted it from the inbox. Is there a way to do this? InstaBench;111597 Wrote: > Often I open emails and then head back to my inbox and decide to delete > them > there. If I delete an item from the inbox and have left the item > open... I > would like to automatically have the item close after I've deleted it > from > the inbox. Is there a ...

"Move Message" Rule not working fully
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C83F07.B735DAA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have created a rule that moves email messages that I receive with = certain criteria. This is the description of the rule as seen in the = Rules Wizard dialogue box: Apply this rule after the message arrives with '@usengineering.com' or '@psicontractors.com' in the sender's = address move it to the USEngineering folder The problem? The rule is really just making a copy of each m...

Outlook Rule and templates
I have create the following rule. Name in to box, reply using template, except if subject = help I have tested this and it works fine although it only replies to an email address once. Is there away of changing this so it replies to every email that is sent? I know this is standard setting but would like to know how to turn this off. Many Thanks. No, the option can't be turned off because it stops message loops. (think if a case where i send you a message and then do the same thing via a rule. you respond to me via the rule and then i respond to you and so on.) If you really want ...

Checkbox validation rule
Hello, In form view, how do I do a very simple validation rule so that if a checkbox is not ticked, it won't let me move on? Thanks all, Jon in the form's BeforeUpdate event procedure, add If Me!CheckboxName = False Then Cancel = True Msgbox "Checkmark the box, please." End If replace CheckboxName with the correct name of the checkbox control, of course. hth "Jon" <JonMYates@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193571251.446221.217630@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > In form view, how do I do a very simple val...

Server rules & smtp
I have an issue where inbound messages from external senders are not converting the smtp address to an Exchange server address format. The only kb article I have found is article # 218269. It was not very helpfull. This is breaking forwarding rules and I need to fix. Any help is appreciated. ...

migrate .pst to new machine
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions as to how to recover my rules from a .pst file. My machine has died but I still have the data files, and so I am trying to recover them. I am using outlook xp I have tried importing the .pst file using File|Import/Export and have also tried manualyl copying the .pst file. Also tried creating a new profile and selecting the .pst file. However I still end up with an empty rule set. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Tristan. finally fixed it. The problem was i hadn't selected my original pst file as the default storage location after adding it to me new...

Need rule to move email from one folder to another after 1 month
We recently installed Newforma at our office which moves email out of Outlook and into its own system. This will help people in our office who were having a terrible time archiving email. The one problem I've got with Newforma is that once an email has been moved to it from Outlook I can no longer see the email from my iPhone through our exchange server. What I'd like to do is have a rule set up in my email folders in Outlook to keep the email there for a set time (30 days) and then move them to the Newforma folder which then initiates Newforma moving the email out of Outlook....

Rules causing outlook to shutdown???
For whatver reason I have narrowed down my problem with MS Outlook 2002 to the use of rules. For some reason when I have a rules setup to forward emails out to people on my work team it will automatically shutdown my Outlook and restart itself. Over and over again. It is very strange, almost like a memory issue, but I do not see how that could be the case. The messages usually get stuck in the outbox and appear to have never been sent but the recipeints receive the messages over an over again, ewach time Outlook shutsdown and restarts??? NEED HELP SO OUTLOOK WILL NOT SHUT ITSELF D...

rules #53
cant set up rune as message said some thing about http account Rules don't work with HTTP protocol accounts (Hotmail & MSN). -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "julie fun fitness" <juliefunfitness@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Workflow Rule Not Saving
I have a long workflow rule which updates the Territory of new Accounts based on the zip/postcode. After being able to make changes to this rule without problem for several months today when I attempt to add or delete anything in this rule the changes are not saved. Any ideas why this would all of a sudden occur? ------=_NextPart_0001_706F0F70 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Richard~ This problem may occur if the OLEDBTimeout value does not exist on the CRM server does not exist. This problem may also occur if the OLEDBTimeout value is too low. To correct...

"Deleted" rules in refuse to stop running

Filters, Can't Find Exception List In Rules
I'm trying to set up my filters for junk mail. I want junk mail with certain words in the subject sent to deleted folder. I found the filters.txt file and some of the words are already there. So apparently the filter isn't working. I tried to follow the directions on how to turn them on and they said to choose the exceptions entry in the rules wizard but I have no such choice. I know how to edit the filters.txt file but Outlook is not using it. Can anyone help? The Filters.txt file isn't actively used by Outlook -- it's really just a "readme" type file to sh...

Unhandled object exception error message
Hi, one of our staff is receiving this message when trying to export an excel document from Smartlist: Unhandled object exception: Unable to set the Interactive property of the Application class EXCEPTION_CLASS_OBJECT_EXCEPTION Does anyone know what this means and/or how I can resolve the problem ...