Rule for Deleted Items

I am being told that there is a rule in place on my Exchange server that will
not empty the deleted items folder every 30 days for certain users in my
organization.  I found a recipient policy in System Manager that says "Users
Excluded from Mailbox Cleanup" but it only shows 2 users and not the 3 I was
told about.  But I have confirmed that the missing person has email in her
deleted items folder going back to 2005 so it must be working.  Is there any
other location I should be looking?  Also, we just had someone come in and
migrate our Exchange environment from 2000 to a new 2003 Server over the
weekend.  The old server is still up and running with replication links for
public folders but all mailboxes have been moved.  Will this rule were ever
it is still follow over to the new server once I take down the old one?

Thanks,
0
aja44 (17)

Hi,

There should be another recipient policy which does the actual mailbox
clean-up. Have you checked this policy and made sure that the user is not
listed here?

This policy will continue to work on the new server.

Leif

"aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am being told that there is a rule in place on my Exchange server that
>will
> not empty the deleted items folder every 30 days for certain users in my
> organization.  I found a recipient policy in System Manager that says
> "Users
> Excluded from Mailbox Cleanup" but it only shows 2 users and not the 3 I
> was
> told about.  But I have confirmed that the missing person has email in her
> deleted items folder going back to 2005 so it must be working.  Is there
> any
> other location I should be looking?  Also, we just had someone come in and
> migrate our Exchange environment from 2000 to a new 2003 Server over the
> weekend.  The old server is still up and running with replication links
> for
> public folders but all mailboxes have been moved.  Will this rule were
> ever
> it is still follow over to the new server once I take down the old one?
>
> Thanks,

Leif,

Thanks for the reply.  When I go into the Recipient Policy container I see 4
policies listed.  The one that has Sent Items, Deleted Items and System
Cleanup checked in the Settings (Policy) tab has a priority 2 and this listed
as the filter:

(&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (|
(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*))) ))))

The policy that that is set as priority 1 does not have anything checked in
the Settings (Policy) tab and has this as the filter:

(&(& (objectClass=user) (|(mailnickname=vcohn)(mailnickname=hmatysko))))

I was told by the old admin that these two users along with a 3rd user
should have a policy that does not empty the deleted items folder every 30
days.  But I cant see it here.

"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There should be another recipient policy which does the actual mailbox
> clean-up. Have you checked this policy and made sure that the user is not
> listed here?
>
> This policy will continue to work on the new server.
>
> Leif
>
> "aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am being told that there is a rule in place on my Exchange server that
> >will
> > not empty the deleted items folder every 30 days for certain users in my
> > organization.  I found a recipient policy in System Manager that says
> > "Users
> > Excluded from Mailbox Cleanup" but it only shows 2 users and not the 3 I
> > was
> > told about.  But I have confirmed that the missing person has email in her
> > deleted items folder going back to 2005 so it must be working.  Is there
> > any
> > other location I should be looking?  Also, we just had someone come in and
> > migrate our Exchange environment from 2000 to a new 2003 Server over the
> > weekend.  The old server is still up and running with replication links
> > for
> > public folders but all mailboxes have been moved.  Will this rule were
> > ever
> > it is still follow over to the new server once I take down the old one?
> >
> > Thanks,

0
aja44 (17)
3/12/2007 11:01:06 PM
Hi,

Does the clean-up policy work for any users?
Must be configured to run on the server object.

I would just add the third user to the exception policy.

> Leif,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  When I go into the Recipient Policy container I see
> 4
> policies listed.  The one that has Sent Items, Deleted Items and System
> Cleanup checked in the Settings (Policy) tab has a priority 2 and this
> listed
> as the filter:
>
> (&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (|
> (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))
>  ))))
>
> The policy that that is set as priority 1 does not have anything checked
> in
> the Settings (Policy) tab and has this as the filter:
>
> (&(& (objectClass=user) (|(mailnickname=vcohn)(mailnickname=hmatysko))))
>
> I was told by the old admin that these two users along with a 3rd user
> should have a policy that does not empty the deleted items folder every 30
> days.  But I cant see it here.
>
> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There should be another recipient policy which does the actual mailbox
>> clean-up. Have you checked this policy and made sure that the user is not
>> listed here?
>>
>> This policy will continue to work on the new server.
>>
>> Leif
>>
>> "aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am being told that there is a rule in place on my Exchange server that
>> >will
>> > not empty the deleted items folder every 30 days for certain users in
>> > my
>> > organization.  I found a recipient policy in System Manager that says
>> > "Users
>> > Excluded from Mailbox Cleanup" but it only shows 2 users and not the 3
>> > was
>> > told about.  But I have confirmed that the missing person has email in
>> > her
>> > deleted items folder going back to 2005 so it must be working.  Is
>> > there
>> > any
>> > other location I should be looking?  Also, we just had someone come in
>> > and
>> > migrate our Exchange environment from 2000 to a new 2003 Server over
>> > the
>> > weekend.  The old server is still up and running with replication links
>> > for
>> > public folders but all mailboxes have been moved.  Will this rule were
>> > ever
>> > it is still follow over to the new server once I take down the old one?
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Leif,

I am new to this, but when I go and try to add the user it seems to screw up
everything in the current filter.  How do you add users to the filter?

"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does the clean-up policy work for any users?
> Must be configured to run on the server object.
>
> I would just add the third user to the exception policy.
>
> Leif
>
> "aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Leif,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.  When I go into the Recipient Policy container I see
> > 4
> > policies listed.  The one that has Sent Items, Deleted Items and System
> > Cleanup checked in the Settings (Policy) tab has a priority 2 and this
> > listed
> > as the filter:
> >
> > (&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (|
> > (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))
> >  ))))
> >
> > The policy that that is set as priority 1 does not have anything checked
> > in
> > the Settings (Policy) tab and has this as the filter:
> >
> > (&(& (objectClass=user) (|(mailnickname=vcohn)(mailnickname=hmatysko))))
> >
> > I was told by the old admin that these two users along with a 3rd user
> > should have a policy that does not empty the deleted items folder every 30
> > days.  But I cant see it here.
> >
> > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There should be another recipient policy which does the actual mailbox
> >> clean-up. Have you checked this policy and made sure that the user is not
> >> listed here?
> >>
> >> This policy will continue to work on the new server.
> >>
> >> Leif
> >>
> >> "aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
aja44 (17)
3/13/2007 12:07:00 AM
Hi,

Did you try:

(&(& (objectClass=user)
(|(mailnickname=vcohn)(mailnickname=hmatysko)(mailnickname=user3))))

> Leif,
>
> I am new to this, but when I go and try to add the user it seems to screw
> up
> everything in the current filter.  How do you add users to the filter?
>
> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does the clean-up policy work for any users?
>> Must be configured to run on the server object.
>>
>> I would just add the third user to the exception policy.
>>
>> Leif
>>
>> "aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Leif,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reply.  When I go into the Recipient Policy container I
>> > see
>> > 4
>> > policies listed.  The one that has Sent Items, Deleted Items and System
>> > Cleanup checked in the Settings (Policy) tab has a priority 2 and this
>> > listed
>> > as the filter:
>> >
>> > (&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (|
>> > (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))
>> >  ))))
>> >
>> > The policy that that is set as priority 1 does not have anything
>> > checked
>> > in
>> > the Settings (Policy) tab and has this as the filter:
>> >
>> > (&(& (objectClass=user)
>> > (|(mailnickname=vcohn)(mailnickname=hmatysko))))
>> >
>> > I was told by the old admin that these two users along with a 3rd user
>> > should have a policy that does not empty the deleted items folder every
>> > 30
>> > days.  But I cant see it here.

Leif,

I was trying to add additional names through searching in the AD.  That
would mess everything up that was existing and was not legible.  I will try
just adding another name and see if it takes.

Thank you

"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you try:
>
> (&(& (objectClass=user)
> (|(mailnickname=vcohn)(mailnickname=hmatysko)(mailnickname=user3))))
>
> Leif
>
> "aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Leif,
> >
> > I am new to this, but when I go and try to add the user it seems to screw
> > up
> > everything in the current filter.  How do you add users to the filter?
> >
> > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Does the clean-up policy work for any users?
> >> Must be configured to run on the server object.
> >>
> >> I would just add the third user to the exception policy.
> >>
> >> Leif
> >>
> >> "aja44" <aja44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
aja44 (17)

how do i connect to my server so I can purge my deleted message.
I have migrated to 2003 from XP and to download IMAP folders and purge deleted messages I normally click on file and then connect to this server but this command has disappeared ...

Cannot delete or open assigned tasks
Hi, pulling our hair out on this one. I can find plenty of references to this in groups but no solution, explanation or even a clue where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Various OS and Outlook versions, mostly XP Pro some 2000 Pro, and Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003. Exchange 2000 running on SBS 2000. A user creates and sends a task request. He or she CAN open or delete this task request from sent items. The recipient CANNOT open or delete task. They receive: "Can't open this item. The property does not exist. The field you want to modify is not valid for this type...

Sent Message Rule
I know this is an Outlook ng. but I'm using Outlook Express and can't seem to create a rule that copies my sent messages to a particular folder. 2 e-mail addresses in one Account. I want to send the sent messages from the Sent Items folder to another. TB The Bear <buck_roggers@hotmail.com> wrote: > I know this is an Outlook ng. but I'm using Outlook Express Then you should ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress is one. -- Brian Tillman ...

Either \ or conditions in rules
Is it possible in Outlook 2003 to create a rule with either \ or conditions, eg If the message has certain words in the subject line OR if there are certain words in the body of the message? As far as I can see, you can only create conditions linked with AND. In that scenario, you would need to create two separate rules, each with = the same actions.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers ...

rules based on recipient address
We have one mailbox that has different email addresses that point to it. We have within this mailbox folders. Depending on what email address mail was sent to we want rules to move them into the relevent folder. Outlook and/or Exchange shows the name of the account in the 'to' feild so that our rules do not work as they are based on where the email was sent. how can we get over this? IE main is Internet. Mail sent to web@here.com should go to Internet but then get moved to the 'WEB' folder based on the web@here.com address. But Internet is showing in the recpient field. ...

Color rule
Hi I would like to use colors to change an email when received from 1 of a group of like 60 people. (All 60 senders I would like to color their email when recieved) I am limited by the number of color rules that I am allowed to put into place. I am unable to create one rule for the group of users as well, as I get an error and outlook closes on me. There is probably a very simple script that can be written but I am not that familiar with writing those. I have tried to assign category through a rule on the list of these people, but it will not allow me to upload to the exchange ...

Account string deletion at year-end
Currently, account strings without any history in General Ledger are automatically deleted as part of the year-end close process. However, this process will delete account strings that were set up to only store budget data (in table GL00201). Provide an option to either skip this step in processing or add a check of account strings in tale GL00201. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, fo...

deleting ADC connectors
Hello everyone: I have an Exchange 2003 domain with Win2k3 DC's. the exchange domain runs on Native mode. i guess before i came this organization used to have exchange 5.5 servers because i still see Active Directory connectors. In the Active directory Sites And Services>MyCampus>Servers>MyServers i see a list of three servers. two are my DCs one is what used to be my first exchange server. I already moved all the roles to another server but that one is not appearing in the list. under the first server and one of the DCs i see a folder Exchange settings and it has a...

matching codes between 2 item codes
Hi Is there someone who can tell me how I can match up (or link) codes from one spreadsheet to another? Cheers -- JChan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JChan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23273 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476450 Hi J, Perhaps the VLookup function is what you are looking for. See Excel help for details. --- Regards, Norman "JChan" <JChan.1wxdqa_1129349100.7983@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:JChan.1wxdqa_11...

Message Rules
Why don't the message rules work? I keep making messages to block the word Viagra (any combination of spelling variations) and numerous other words, and delete the messages. I have over 400 rule, most about Viagra, and NONE of them are working. What exactly are you specifying? See http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm The rules are the same in WinMail except they added the junk folder. steve "Darrell Bartels" <Darrell Bartels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B3A29A3-739A-433A-9A2C-7EF6ED93EA08@microsoft.com... > Why don't the mes...

inactive items #2
Where does RMS store inactive items? I know there should be a report to find them but I can't find the report nevertheless the inactive item. Thanks. -- Elizabeth M. Inactive items are still in the Item table, they just have their "Inactive" field set to true. Most of the item reports include the Inactive field, but do not display it by default and most have a default Filter of "Inactive=False". Just filter for "Inactive = True" instead... Also, in the Inventory Wizard, the last task in the list is "activate Items" - if you use this ...

How do I set up Server Rule to move Emails to a an Exchange 2007 public Folder?
Dear Exchange people, We are using Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007. I have emails that come in every day that need to be moved to an Exchange public folder based on words in the emails subject. I set up a rule in Outlook 2003 to move it to the public folder automatically and it usually works when Outlook is open, but I need it to just run on the server and not require Outlook to be open to run it. Would anyone be so kind and friendly as to share with me an example of how to get it to work on the server and not require the Outlook client to process it? Thanks in...

Visio Validation Problem After Deleting Table
I have a visio file that models a database. I added a view to the project but then decided to delete it again. I simply hit the delete key after which I got a dialog saying: "Remove selected item from the underlying model?". Unfortunately, I hit the default value "No". Now when I try to update my SQL database I get the following error during validation: error L1005: 'Table1' : Table has no columns defined. The problem is that the table is not shown anywhere in the project anymore. I even tried to select every single table and connections, copy it to a new page and...

Rules in Error
I have a number of rules in place to reduce spam by permanently deleting certain messages upon their arrival based on content. But every day the "Rules in Error" window pops up with the message "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation" and the applicable rule is deactivated from that point on. This seems to occur randomly for no particular reason. If I subsequently run the rule manually, the messages are then deleted. Is there a way to stop this? ...

By-Product for Item Grades
Hello everybody, I have two questions regarding Manufacturing: 1- How can I use the By-Product (Negative Qty in BOM) in GP to classify a finished item (1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade) provided I don't know the quantities of the grades I'm gonna get after the production. Example: While I'm producing Item 10 Pieces of A001, I may get A001-2, A001-3, which are as same as A001 but different quality. I may get a different combination of quantities: I may get 2 pieces of A001-2, 3 pieces of A001-3, and 5 pieces of A001. I won't be able to know the quanities or the percentage ...

Emulate Out of Office Assistant in a rule?
I want to be able to emulate the OoO assistant in a server side rule, specifically I want it to only reply once to each recipient. Currently we have several customer service and tech support mailboxes that have server side reply rules that reply with a template directing them to our website for support. However, this rule EASILY gets caught up in loops to the point where I have to check it daily and turn off the rule temporarily to break the loop. I would use the Out of office assistant on the mailboxes, but the subject text "Out of Office:" seems to be static which wouldn...

Outlook2003: Display rules disappear (Tools/Organize/Colors/Automatic..)
Hi all, Some help needed re rules created in Tools/Organize/Colors/Automatic..: Those rules disappear randomly and without obvious reason. Some of them move to an other folder, where they are useless. Is there any way to save/restore those rules in order to avoid rekeying everything again and again? Where are they located? Are they accessible? Thanks for your help, Bibif they are stored in views - did you change views on the folder where you lost them? The best way to keep them is to copy the current view or make a new view and set the rules. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ...

Message Rules Unavailable (2002)
Running Outlook 2002, I don't seem to have the "message rules" installed. I did select Junk-Mail during custom setup, but no rules option under Tools. Also when right clicking on a message there is "Junk Email" but it results in a blank submenu. I seem to be missing the rules wizard. How can I remedy this? Thanks B "Battleax" <unavailable@thistime.net> wrote in message news:0radnYU5TeeI6XeiRVn-iQ@magma.ca... > Running Outlook 2002, I don't seem to have the "message rules" installed. I > did select Junk-Mail during custom setup, b...

how to delete source file?
An excel spreadsheet links to another excel file. However Iwant to remove this link completely since the file does not exist anymore. How do I remove it? I know that by going into the spread sheet and doing a find ! I get all the cells that call to this external file. If I delete them all (and there are lots) will I still get the prompt when opening the spreadsheet that it can't find this source File? How shall I best handle this situation? Can I simply remove the source link somehow? I don't get that option (rather, open source, change source). TIA, Brad Try this, Brad: ht...

IMAP sent items folder
hi We are not running Exchange, but using critical path email server Using MS Outlook 2003 as email client and configure to use IMAP, the IMAP folder doesn'y show the "sent items", anyway to get it appear We had also tested, if the email client is Netscape 7.1 or MS Outlook 2007, the "sent items" is appear, just wonder how to get it work for MS Outlook 2003 thanks gbkhor <gbkhor@time.net.my> wrote: > Using MS Outlook 2003 as email client and configure to use IMAP, the > IMAP folder doesn'y show the "sent items", anyway to get it app...

Delete Notification?
Outlook 2003 Users, I recently had a user who emptied his deleted items, and when he did, the original sender (from one of our clients) was notified. There was no popup box on our end letting us know that a notification was sent. Does this make any sense whatsoever? Thanks. Yes, if the sender had attached a read receipt, the sender would have been notified when the message was deleted without reading. I LOVE doing that. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without...

disabled items list
I tried to open an excel spreadsheet and received the following error: "the document "my document" caused a serious error the last time it was opened, would you like to continue opening it? When I show help, it says something about the "disabled items list" where is this list? The file went from 2 MB to 40 MB with only text added. Can I recover this file? Thanks, Burt In xl2003 menus: Help|About MS Excel|there's a button at the bottom. Burt wrote: > > I tried to open an excel spreadsheet and received the following error: "the >...

Rules, Rules, Rules
I am trying to make a rule that tells people I am out of office because I don't have an out of office menu (do not use Exchange). When I select "reply using a specific template" I run into a problem. I do not have any "Standard Templates" loaded so I want to create one under "User Template in File System". But this is looking for a *.oft file. What is a *.oft file and how do I create one? Any other way to accomplish making this rule? Create your out of office message using Outlook's mail editor, not word. then use file->save as->outlook templ...

Link Items
We are a new GP user. Is there a way to link items that should be sold together? Suggestive selling. Example: you order a burger, would you like fries, baked potato, drink.... Our previous software allowed us to set up "Loose Kits", that functioned in this manner. Thank you! -- ltaylor GP has kits. I don't know what a Loose Kit is. GP kits are a bunch of components sold as one item. You set up the components as inventory items then the kit item. When you set up the kit item, you specify it as a kit and then add the components to it. -- Charles Allen, MVP "...

OL 2007 Rules
Hello people, I am having some weird problems with the rules in Outlook.They seem to stop working after awhile. I have to create a new one for them to start working again. I running Outlook 2007 (12.0.6423.1000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000) Anyone else having any issues with rules? Thanks Mark ...