RSG

Hi,
  I am attempting to recover a single piece of mail using an RSG.  As I
understand it, I can recover a full databased to the RSG and use exmerge to
extract the mailbox and eventually find the one piece that I'm seeking.  I
also understand that I will not need to dismount the store where the user has
his mail currently.  Does anyone have a good process document for this?  I'd
like to get something that takes me from where to recover the database to,
how to "attch" it to the RSG, etc...
Thanks,
Dan4650 (795)

here you go:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126/en-us

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

> Hi,
>   I am attempting to recover a single piece of mail using an RSG.  As I
> understand it, I can recover a full databased to the RSG and use exmerge
> extract the mailbox and eventually find the one piece that I'm seeking.  I
> also understand that I will not need to dismount the store where the user
has
> his mail currently.  Does anyone have a good process document for this?
I'd
> like to get something that takes me from where to recover the database to,
> how to "attch" it to the RSG, etc...
> Thanks,

sconkey (3059)
6/5/2006 6:34:53 PM
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:23:02 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>  I am attempting to recover a single piece of mail using an RSG.  As I
>understand it, I can recover a full databased to the RSG and use exmerge to
>extract the mailbox and eventually find the one piece that I'm seeking.  I
>also understand that I will not need to dismount the store where the user has
>his mail currently.  Does anyone have a good process document for this?  I'd
>like to get something that takes me from where to recover the database to,
>how to "attch" it to the RSG, etc...
>Thanks,

Look on www.microsoft.com/exchange/library.
There's a white paper, specifically on the RSG !
0
mark7219 (5666)

Problem in RSG
Hi, Suppose my Exchange server backup schedule is every four hour Full backup. Last Full backup was taken on 4 PM (Call it A) At 7 PM disaster occuered and the disk containing the database (edb and stm) crashed. Transaction logs are intact. During a Dial Tone recovery I was able to restore the 4 PM data (A) as well as merge it with the dial tone data (B). But the data produced between 4 PM and 7 PM (C) is not recovered. I am trying hard to recover the 4 PM-7PM data but no luck. However, when I restore the data from the last backup, the 4PM-7PM data is restored during hardrecovery. Whi...

RSG
Hi, I am attempting to recover a single piece of mail using an RSG. As I understand it, I can recover a full databased to the RSG and use exmerge to extract the mailbox and eventually find the one piece that I'm seeking. I also understand that I will not need to dismount the store where the user has his mail currently. Does anyone have a good process document for this? I'd like to get something that takes me from where to recover the database to, how to "attch" it to the RSG, etc... Thanks, D here you go: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126/en-us -- Susan Co...

RSG
First time using the Recovery Storage Group on a production server running X2003. Need to restore a mailbox. I created a RSG on a different drive from where the original transaction logs are. Then w/o adding a database I have started a restore from my TIVOLI backup client. Currently the restore is in process. Is there any thing I need to do after the restore before I run EXMerge, or did I miss a step here? Advise please. Thank you. On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:42:13 -0800, "WILDPACKET" <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >First time using the Recovery Stora...

RSG Question
If i need to restore emails or an inbox, if i create a RSG can i then do a restore from tape into the RSG? once the databse has bee nrestored to the RSG can i then use exmerge or the mailbox recovery center to export the emails and restore inboxes? Can all this be done while the production databse is online? Thanks Yes. Read the RSG guides. Basically, you create the RSG, add your production database to it, then restore from tape. If you are running Exchange 2003 SP1, then you can use the built-in mailbox recovery tool (basically exmerge functionality built-in). http://support.mic...

RSG and a NAS box
Hi all I am running exchange 2003 sp1, what i want to know is if i have to restore a mailbox uisng the RSG, can i point or mount the RSG databse to a NAS box or another server other than exchange? What i am concerned about is if i have to restore a database from backup to the RSG, I might not have enough room on the server to hold the prodcution DB and the restored DB to the RSG. Also if i can mount the DB to a different box, then can i run exmerge on it and get the mail? Thanks a ton! On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:53:06 -0800, "Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Question about RSG
Hello all I am having a hard time comming to grips whith below quote about the RSG in exchange 2003 "To use a Recovery Storage Group, the Active Directory topology of the Exchange Server 2003 computer must be intact and must be in the same state as when the copy of the database was made. This means that the mailbox or the mailboxes that you want to recover must not be deleted or purged from the system, or moved to a different database or to a different server". If i am understanding this correclty this means that if a mailbox on a production DB has been purged, but is on t...

Online restore to RSG
Can I use the RSG to restore Public Folders? On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:05:01 +0100, "Maurice Bishop" <office@nospam-here-please.mjbishop.com> wrote: >Can I use the RSG to restore Public Folders? > No, unfortunately not at this time. ...

RSG in EXchagne 2007
IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how do i enable it? I cant see were to do this. Thanks "Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such as the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on the client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office Outlook 2007". It's a function of the Disaster Recovery Tools, located under the Toolbox. Run the Database Recovery...

RSG and veritas 901
Hello all running exchange 2003 sp1 and i use veritas to do my online backups, i want to test out my backups, so i am going to setup the RSG then add a databse to it, once this is done i was going to restore my online backup to my exchange box. My questions is, does VEritas know that i have a RSG running and if so does it automatically restore the database to the RSG? I really dont want to start looking for a new job because i overwrote the production DB Thanks On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:05:06 -0800, "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello all > >...

Testing restore redirecting to RSG
Im trying various scenearios in restoring the exchange server to a differnt computer. This is testing our disaster recover. ( In other words this is not a critical emergency). We have Veritas backup with an Exchange component. But I'm struggling to restore a redirected to a RSG. ( We have version 9.1) I accept that this may be related to Veritas but I'm also trying to get some basic Exchange info that I'm confused at that perhaps others can help me with. Perhaps some of the questions can be answered here. We did a backup of the First storage group. (the only storage...

Cannot restore using RSG
A user deleted most of her mail by accident and the Recover Deleted Items option did not help. So, I tried to use the Recovery Storage Group in Exchange System Manager to restore her mail. We have Exchange 2003 (SP1) running on a Windows 2003 server. We do nightly backups to a .BKF file with NTBackup and then backup the .BKF file to tape. So, following instructions found at KB824126 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;824126), it failed miserably. I created the Recovery Storage Group as outlined, used NTBackup to do the restore into "D:\Program Files\Exchsr...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Test restore to RSG fails
An internal processing error has occurred. Try restarting the Exchange System Manager or the Microsoft Information Store service or both. ID no: c1041724 Exchange System Manager Restarting the services or ESM do not work or a server reboot. I then check the Event viewer and find the following 3 errors. Information Store (3984) Recovery Storage Group: Attempted to attach database 'C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Store (TEMPSYDEX).edb' but it is a database restored from a backup set on which hard recovery was not started or did not complete successfully....

RSG test out databse recovery
Hello all I do a full DB backup of my exchange 2003 sp1 server daily. What i would like to do is test out my backups by using the RSG. I want to restore the DB from tape to the RSG, and then once the DB has been restored to the RSG, create another storage group and then copy the DB from the RSG to the new storage group, and then see if i can connect outlook to the new storage group. My questions is how do i point outlook to the newly creqate storage group, and do i have to dismount the production mailstore to have outlook connect to the storage group that i created? Also i have the AD...

isinteg -patch on RSG db
E2K3 SP1. We restored to RSG a backup taken with Veritas 10.0 Exchange Agent, so it was an online backup not an offline backup. However, when restore finished we got Event 9524 "The information store database "Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SERVER)" was restored from a backup - it has been patched. Please backup this database." Isn't that odd? I read/know that isinteg -patch used to be needed (5.5/E2K) after restoring from offline backup and that E2K3 now does it automatically (GUID mismatch reason, iirc), but we are talking about restore from an *online*...

Exmerge,RSG and moved Mailbox
I have moved a user’s mailbox from one server to another (same org , different administrative groups ,both servers are ex2k3), before the move the user deletes some items from his mailbox that he needs now. I have restored the Database to a recovery storage group on the old server and I am trying to extract the mailbox for that user from the recovery storage group into a pst file. “Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)” I am sure that it’s not a per...

Retrieving Mesgs from MBox from Store in RSG
Issue: Original user account and mailbox has been deleted....and then recreated. My goal is to retrieve the user's mail from the mailstore that had been restored to a recovery storage group (RSG). Doing the Exmerge, I know it will look for a matching exchguid and the other item that matches the mail server. All I want to do is to create a new test user with no mailbox. I can make this test user's exchguid match the one in the original mail store (RSG) along with making the mail server objects values match as well so I can ultimately get these messages restored to this test...

Problem with Exchange 2003 restore to RSG
This is the first time we've attempted to do a restore to the RSG...it went successfully well (at least I thought it did)...until the phone calls from users stating coming in, they couldn't get to their mail. When I checked the production mailbox store, it was dismounted. I went ahead and mounted the store and checked a few mailboxes and all seems to be okay. My understanding is that I should be able to do restores to the RSG without affecting the production databases. Does anyone know why the production mail store was dismounted? Thank you for you help. What does your event log ...

Exchange 2K3 SP1 Error
I have sucessfully created and mounted an RSG on my Exchange 2003 SP1 server. My problem is when i right click any mailbox in the RSG from the ESM that's name contains a comma (Kleinpeter, Rob) i get error: An Invalid dn syntax has been specified. Facility: LDAP Providor ID no: 80072032 Exchange System Manager This does not happen in the live database or in the RGS with names that do not contain commas. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. RK ...

Exchange 2003 RSG on Server 2000
Running Exchange 2003 (build 7226.6 sp1) on a Windows 2000 server ( build 2195 sp4). I added the RSG then added the database I need to restore. The backup software (Tivoli 5.2.1.0). I open Tivoli GUI find my backup set hit restore. Here is the question. The Tivoli software asks the question that one or more databases to be restores is mounted click ok to dismount the database or cancel. When I click ok it dismounts the production database and not the RSG database. The RSG database I set up and is in a down state by default and has not been mounted. There are no errors in the event log...

Error deleting information store in RSG
We are running exchange 2003 enterprise with sp1 on server 2003 standard. I created a recovery storage group and restored an information store no problem. The problem came with tidying up after the mailbox was recovered. I cannot delete the information store in the recovery storage group, it says, You do not have the rights to complete the operation. ID no: c1030728 Exchange System Manager I have checked so many permissions and cannot see a problem. I even tried giving everyone full control to the store. Any ideas? ...

Add RSG to Mailbox Recovery Center?
Is it possible to add a store in an RSG to the mailbox recovery center? It appears that I am only able to add normal storage group mailbox stores. I do not believe you can add a store in the RSG to the MRC. You're stuck with Exmerge of the mailbox data merge wizard. Nue "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:413AB259-2B12-4976-9A04-CC1B65C4943D@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to add a store in an RSG to the mailbox recovery center? > It > appears that I am only able to add normal storage group mailbox stores. On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 1...

What size should the recovery storage group (RSG) databases be?
Hi I am getting the following error while using the Exmerger utility in Exchange 2003 "An Error Was Encountered When Retrieving the List of Mailboxes Homed in the Selected Databases" So I have tried everything I guess without success and was wondering what size the recovery storage group databases should be since they are considerably smaller than the original For example the RSG databases are the same size Mailbox Store (AHIASERVER).edb = 2,056Kb Mailbox Store (AHIASERVER).stm = 2,056Kb While the original databases are a lot bigger priv1.edb = 24Gb priv1.stm = 2Gb It seems I ...

problem restoring to RSG using backup exec 10.1
I have been on and off the phone with Veritas for over 2 weeks now and they still cannot resolve this issue. I have a couple of good backups of our Exchange Information Store and have been trying to resotre just one mailstore to the RSG adn each time get an error message of "The job failed with the following error: Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount the databases, and then retry the job." It appears that backup exec is trying to restore the store to the...