RSG in EXchagne 2007

IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how do i
enable it? I cant see were to do this.

Thanks

"Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items
Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can
recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such as
the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on the
client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office Outlook
2007".

0
Skip1 (502)

It's a function of the Disaster Recovery Tools, located under the Toolbox.

Run the Database Recovery management tool, and one of the options you'll
have (once it reads database info from AD) is to create a Recovery Storage
Group.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how do
> enable it? I cant see were to do this.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items
> Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can
> recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such
> as
> the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on the
> client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office
> Outlook
> 2007".

0
Ben
9/25/2006 5:49:56 PM
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:30:01 -0700, skip
<skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how do i
>enable it? I cant see were to do this.
>
>Thanks
>

>"Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items
>Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can
>recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such as
>the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on the
>client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office Outlook
>2007".

It's all in the help
<quote>
RSGs have been improved in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, most
notably, in the following areas:

RSGs are created and managed by using the Exchange Management Shell,
or by using the Exchange Server Disaster Recovery Analyzer Tool
(ExDRA). Management of an RSG cannot be performed using the Exchange
Management Console.

RSGs are not visible in the Exchange Management Console, even after
they have been created and populated with a database.

ExDRA will prescriptively recommend and then assist in performing
recoveries involving a recovery storage group.
</quote>
0
mark7219 (5667)
9/25/2006 5:51:48 PM
Very cool thanks very much, for the info. no wonder i couldnt find this feature

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:30:01 -0700, skip
> <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how do i
> >enable it? I cant see were to do this.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> >"Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items
> >Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can
> >recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such as
> >the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on the
> >client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office Outlook
> >2007".
> >
> It's all in the help
> <quote>
> RSGs have been improved in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, most
> notably, in the following areas:
>
> RSGs are created and managed by using the Exchange Management Shell,
> or by using the Exchange Server Disaster Recovery Analyzer Tool
> (ExDRA). Management of an RSG cannot be performed using the Exchange
> Management Console.
>

> RSGs are not visible in the Exchange Management Console, even after
> they have been created and populated with a database.
>

> ExDRA will prescriptively recommend and then assist in performing
> recoveries involving a recovery storage group.
> </quote>

0
Skip1 (502)
9/25/2006 6:03:02 PM
Bit like the Message Tracking; gotta delve in through MONAD to
configure all that. Still, at least they're quite simple things to get
my head around, the RSG was a little more complex. Thank goodness for
cut and paste.
0
mark7219 (5667)
9/25/2006 6:19:31 PM
After creating the RSG in Exchange 2007, I then ran get-mailboxdatabase i can
see the recovery storage group databse, and i can also see where the path to
the RSG database is suppsoed to be, but when i go through windows explorer to
the path below i dont see a folder for RSG20060925110330\test.edb. This is
where when i ran  the get-mailboxdatabase -identity "mail01\recovery storage
group\test" |fl the output pointed to E:\exdb\RSG20060925110330\TEST.edb but
I cant see it

EdbFilePath                   : E:\exdb\RSG20060925110330\TEST.edb

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:30:01 -0700, skip
> <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how do i
> >enable it? I cant see were to do this.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> >"Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items
> >Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can
> >recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such as
> >the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on the
> >client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office Outlook
> >2007".
> >
> It's all in the help
> <quote>
> RSGs have been improved in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, most
> notably, in the following areas:
>
> RSGs are created and managed by using the Exchange Management Shell,
> or by using the Exchange Server Disaster Recovery Analyzer Tool
> (ExDRA). Management of an RSG cannot be performed using the Exchange
> Management Console.
>

> RSGs are not visible in the Exchange Management Console, even after
> they have been created and populated with a database.
>

> ExDRA will prescriptively recommend and then assist in performing
> recoveries involving a recovery storage group.
> </quote>

0
Skip1 (502)
9/25/2006 6:31:01 PM
One other question i had with this is it sounds like from reading the
documentation on how the RSG works in 2007, that its possible to restore a
single mailbox or items that are in  mailbox merge these items back into the
production mailbox as if the administrator was doing "brick level backups" of
the production database?

With Exchange 2003 sp2 you created the RSG,  restored from tape to the RSG,
and then used tools provided in Exchange 2003 sp2 or Exmerge to merge the
emails from the mailbox in the RSG to the mailbox the production DB.

Is process for restoring mailboxes and mail items or the concept pretty much
the same in Exchange 2007?

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> Bit like the Message Tracking; gotta delve in through MONAD to
> configure all that. Still, at least they're quite simple things to get
> my head around, the RSG was a little more complex. Thank goodness for
> cut and paste.

0
Skip1 (502)
9/25/2006 6:46:01 PM
Hmm, not sure about an individual items, would want to check.
You can use the MONAD commands to do a folder or attachment types or
by dates or mails with keywords but selecting a specific item probably
not.
Mind you, that said, if you have a keyword then it amounts to a
specific item when all said and done.
0
mark7219 (5667)
9/25/2006 7:22:06 PM
That's what exists in Active Directory.  The RSG will *not* create any .edb
files.  It should only create the folder path that is specified.  Part of
the recovery procedure is that you first have to create the RSG, THEN you
can restore (or copy/move/whatever) databases into that RSG.

Are you saying that the folder RSG20060925110330 doesn't exist?

Possibly, it's a bug with Beta2?  Beta2 is going on a couple of months now.
I do see the same behavior, though.

--

> After creating the RSG in Exchange 2007, I then ran get-mailboxdatabase i
> can
> see the recovery storage group databse, and i can also see where the path
> the RSG database is suppsoed to be, but when i go through windows explorer
> the path below i dont see a folder for RSG20060925110330\test.edb. This is
> where when i ran  the get-mailboxdatabase -identity "mail01\recovery
> storage
> group\test" |fl the output pointed to E:\exdb\RSG20060925110330\TEST.edb
> but
> I cant see it
>
> EdbFilePath                   : E:\exdb\RSG20060925110330\TEST.edb
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:30:01 -0700, skip
>> <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how
>> >do i
>> >enable it? I cant see were to do this.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >

>> >"Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items
>> >Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can
>> >recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such
>> >as
>> >the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on
>> >the
>> >client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office
>> >Outlook
>> >2007".
>> >
>> It's all in the help
>> <quote>
>> RSGs have been improved in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, most
>> notably, in the following areas:
>>
>> RSGs are created and managed by using the Exchange Management Shell,
>> or by using the Exchange Server Disaster Recovery Analyzer Tool
>> (ExDRA). Management of an RSG cannot be performed using the Exchange
>> Management Console.
>>

>> RSGs are not visible in the Exchange Management Console, even after
>> they have been created and populated with a database.
>>

>> ExDRA will prescriptively recommend and then assist in performing
>> recoveries involving a recovery storage group.
>> </quote>

0
Ben

Importing EML files to Outlook 2007
I have several EML files that I would like to "restore" using Outlook 2007. How can I do this? Thanks in advance for your help. EML files are not Outlook files- they are used in OE, Windows live mail, Vista Mail. You can drag and drop them into folders in those mail clients. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NE...

Access 2007 Form
Access 2007 I have short form with following controls: Customer ID Invoice No Invoice Amount Payment Amount Remaining Balance I would like to transfer the value of Remaining balance control to the next record’s Invoice amount control when I am adding new data. Two conditions should be true. First, the customer ID in the new record should matches the customer ID in previous record and second the value of Remaining balance in previous record should be greater than zero. Please advice -- Bardia You need a field, DateTime would do, so that Access knows which record comes ...

Problem in RSG
Hi, Suppose my Exchange server backup schedule is every four hour Full backup. Last Full backup was taken on 4 PM (Call it A) At 7 PM disaster occuered and the disk containing the database (edb and stm) crashed. Transaction logs are intact. During a Dial Tone recovery I was able to restore the 4 PM data (A) as well as merge it with the dial tone data (B). But the data produced between 4 PM and 7 PM (C) is not recovered. I am trying hard to recover the 4 PM-7PM data but no luck. However, when I restore the data from the last backup, the 4PM-7PM data is restored during hardrecovery. Whi...

Tiff format problems with Access 2007
We have some databases created in Access 2000 with .tif files embedded to the forms and reports. And we are planning to migrate to Access 2007. We open databases created in Access 2000 with Access 2007 and we get the following error massage: 2114 <database name> doesn't support of the file 'I:\Tmimage\2005\20051028.tif,' or file is too large. Try converting the file to BMP format. Is Access 2007 supports tif format or is there any solution for this problem? The TIFF graphics filter was withdrawn in Office 2003, so many users with tiff images found that their app...

mscrm 4.0 web service upgrade(2006 to 2007): What is the counterpart of EntityMetadata.ReferencesTo(2006) in 2007 metaSDk
Hi, We are doing an upgrade to MSCRM 4.0, part of the upgrade is to point to 2007 Web Services of MSCRM. I have converted the other differences but stopped in a part where i found no counterpart property in 2007. The Property in MSCRM 2006 Web Service is: EntityMetadata.ReferencesTo RelationshipMetadata.ReferencingEntity RelationshipMetadata.ReferencedAttribute Please help.. Thanks a lot, ces ...

Integrate MS Access 2007 and SharePoint 2007 Server, Authentication and Authorization problems
Hi all, We have a MS Access 2007 application and have integrated it with the SharePoint Server 2007 which acts as the backend central storage. When user opens the application, it displays a dialog for SharePoint Account. How to capture the SharePoint username programmatically so that we can determine which record can be displayed and which forms can be used? We have considered building another authentication process purely using MS Access and VBA, but users will be required to go through two different authentication processes by typing two pairs of username and password so ...

RSG
Hi, I am attempting to recover a single piece of mail using an RSG. As I understand it, I can recover a full databased to the RSG and use exmerge to extract the mailbox and eventually find the one piece that I'm seeking. I also understand that I will not need to dismount the store where the user has his mail currently. Does anyone have a good process document for this? I'd like to get something that takes me from where to recover the database to, how to "attch" it to the RSG, etc... Thanks, D here you go: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126/en-us -- Susan Co...

Office 2007
I have been for a few months using office. I normally would send or print or export a file to word to edit the appearance before printing. I worked just fine. Just 2 or 3 days ago when I export the file Access shuts down and I get no message. After I restart it wants to run diagnostics but finds no problems with Access. I have tried with different files and nothing, it shuts down with any file. Any ideas? Thank you in advanced Hi, have you changed anything (upgrade to higher versino office or windows?), if not you can always try to compact and repair the access file...

How do I stop the cursor from blinking in Word 2007?
How do I stop the cursor from blinking in Word 2007? You mean "how do I stop the cursor from blinking in Windows"? Without knowing which version of Windows you have it's tough to give specific directions. For example, in Windows XP you go to Control Panel > Keyboard > Speed tab > 'Cursor blink rate' Daddy "Ramie in SC" <Ramie in SC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3EC7A54-F651-4371-B4D4-A6F71957176F@microsoft.com... > How do I stop the cursor from blinking in Word 2007? It's similar in Vista and Win ...

Bug in Outlook 2007
There is a BUG in Outlook 2007 build 12.0.4518.1014. I have TWO profiles, and very often when I start with the non-Default one, and then close it and restart Outlook 2007, I no longer have a choice to select which profile to start it with. The only way to fix that is to go Task Manager, and manually kill OUTLOOK.EXE and then restart it. Then, it works fine. I hope they FIX this annoying problem. Where can I submit this bug to Microsoft? I looked all-over their website, but could not find it. P.S. I am running Vista Ultimate together with this setup. Michael Wexin <mystic...

Cannot delete files or folders in Outlook 2007 on Vista desktop co
At some point recently, I lost the ability to delete files & folders in Personal Folders of Outlook 2007. I can add new files & folders without problems. I've checked on the web and most solutions point to running Scanpst.exe. When I run this app, I get an error saying that OMMAPI32.dll cannot be found, even though I can see it in the Office 12 folder. One suggestion was to run "regsrvr olmapi32.dll, but it fails, saying the module couldn't be loaded. Can anyone out there suggest what I might try to correct this problem. I know I'm not along, becaus...

Outlook 2007 and calendar invites
When I receive an invite for a meeting it comes to me as an attachment in an email. If I open the attachment the "accept" is grayed out. I have set my resource scheduling to auto accept but it isn't working. I can send out meeting requests with no problem. Any ideas? On 5 Apr 2007 08:34:18 -0700, "rcscott" <cherie-scott@san.rr.com> wrote: >When I receive an invite for a meeting it comes to me as an attachment >in an email. If I open the attachment the "accept" is grayed out. I >have set my resource scheduling to auto accept but it isn...

Installing Office 2007 and keeping Office 2003
My laptop computer has Office 2003 installed. I would like to install Office 2007, but keep Office 2003 as well. I need to do that as I have several Excel 2003 adins for statistical analysis and risk analysis and I do not want to lose those adins (they do not work with 2007). How can I do that? Make sure you uinstall it in a separate directly and not as an upgrade. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Bruckner" <Bruckner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD07FEC5-AC4E-4...

Word 2007 Unrestricted Access?
I have a file that a customer sent. Under Protect Document > Unrestricted Access is checked. Another person in the office has made changes with the Track Changes on. They were able to save the file, but we cannpt accept the changes because we get a message that says the document is protected. What exactly does "Unrestricted Access" mean? How do we accept changes? Thanks for any assistance you can give me. -- marcia "Unrestricted Access" means anyone can read and change the document, so you or the other employee should be able to accept or reject track...

Bug in Excel 2007 SP2 charting
Hi, I have posted this query before but have now done some additional experiments and, as I did not get a solution, am posting it again. There appears to be a bug in Excel 2007 SP2 that seriously affects the ability to create or copy (or manipulate in any way – or even open) line or scatter plots with two or more series and two independent y axes (with limits set manually). Even with modest series (4000 data point in my specific example) and the data being used being simple numerical data (not formulae, not linked in other workbooks etc), Excel 2007 grinds to a complete halt sometimes f...

RSG
First time using the Recovery Storage Group on a production server running X2003. Need to restore a mailbox. I created a RSG on a different drive from where the original transaction logs are. Then w/o adding a database I have started a restore from my TIVOLI backup client. Currently the restore is in process. Is there any thing I need to do after the restore before I run EXMerge, or did I miss a step here? Advise please. Thank you. On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:42:13 -0800, "WILDPACKET" <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >First time using the Recovery Stora...

Outlook 2007, UTF-8 & national characters
After installing Outlook 2007 I found that in some of the mails I received the national characters like "�" or "�" have dropped out. It never happened with Windows Mail that I have used until now. When I checked the mails I found out that all of them used UTF-8 coding. If I change the encoding to something else and then back to UTF-8 the national characters appear in the message. When I close the message and open it again, the national characters disappear. I have tried to change the settings in Outlook but with no result. I plan to upgrade from Windows Vista ...

Chart wizard for excel 2007
Good Afternoon :) I am attempting to do charts for the 1st time in 2007 and noticed that the chart wizard is missing. Where would I be able to find this nifty tool? -- THANKS and have a good one! It it gone. If you open the Insert tab you will see a pallet of charts best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Stormchick15" <Stormchick15@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2E3DA36-B83A-4B54-A760-EBDF91EA990C@microsoft.com... > Good Afternoon :) > > I am attempting to do charts for the...

Excel 2007 backward compatability?
My old EXCEL spreadsheets are being saved as .xlsx which cannot be openened when emailed to another PC using an earlier edition of Office. As there are no help files in the new 2007 Office suite I am at a loss to solve the problem myself. Can anyone help please? Hi, Microsoft provides a free converter for the 2003 users: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Reggie D." wrote: > My old EXCEL spreadsheets are being saved as .xlsx which cannot be openened > when ema...

$2007 peformance
By biggest issues with recent versions of Money deal with performance. I've read several posts that indicate deletion of recurring bills and deposits and reentering them "solves" this issue for many in $2007. With that in mind I download the trial version of $2007, tried navigating around and performance seemed to be the same as $2006. Then I deleted bills area (using utility provided) and I now see a significant increase in performance while the size of the file did not change (38MB). That brings me to my question. Is there any "technical" explanation as to wh...

Creating PDF from Publisher 2007
I have Publisher 2007, and need to create a PDF file to upload to my company website. The file is approx. 40 pages and I want to have the bookmarks usable in the PDF format. I have the PDf converter download, but no access to Acrobat. Is it possible to have the bookmarks I created in Publisher carried over to the PDF file with the simple plug-in converter provided from Microsoft? You've posted your question in the wrong group. This group is dedicated to Microsoft Access. You should repost in microsoft.public.publisher -- _________ Sean Bailey "Beth" wrote: > I h...

EXCEL 2007 CELL SELECTION
Excel 2007 - all i want to do is select "one cell" on a worksheet and EVERYTIME i click inside that particluar cell the adjacent cells (sometimes also above and below it) are highlighted as well and i cannot stop it from happening. IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. certain cells of the same worksheet are fine and do not behave as such and other cells (when i try to select ONE CELL) have the same problem as mentioned above. can't someone please tell me ... what is wrong? i welcome and appreciate any thoughts and help. thanks. Try re-installing the drivers for you wheel mouse...

Project 2007
One of my students has some tasks which will be repeated at different points during the project (Reoccurring task won't work in this case). Is there a way to copy and paste his extensive note information without having to open the Task Information window each time? Selecting the task row to copy and paste won't bring over the notes. In article <8FB23A12-C779-4370-9749-D9758403B352@microsoft.com>, Mikel Anne <MikelAnne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > One of my students has some tasks which will be repeated at different points > during the project (...

Using labels in EXCEL 2007
I have app 400 names in Col B row 1 down to row 400 of my spreadsheet. I would like to transfer that info to "paper labels" Anyone know how? Thanks "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F98982B9-75BD-4A9D-85AD-2C28BC9408EA@microsoft.com... >I have app 400 names in Col B row 1 down to row 400 of my spreadsheet. > I would like to transfer that info to "paper labels" > Anyone know how? > Thanks You ask "Anyone know how" Of course someone here knows how! I don't have your answer, b...

Exchange 2007 search not working for some mailboxes
I asked about this issue a few weeks ago, but nobody seemed to know anything about it so I thought I'd try again. I've set up and Exchange 2007 server and I'm testing migrating some mailboxes onto it from an Exchange 2003 server. Exchange Search works for some moved mailboxes and not for others even though they are all in the same mailbox database. For the users where it doesn't work OWA gives the error "Search results may take a long time to appear because Microsoft Exchange Search is unavailable. Results will not include matches in the e-mail body." I've...