RPC over HTTP requires additional authentication

When I configure Outlook 2003 for RPC over HTTP it requires me to enter
username/password again.  I have already entered it when I logged into the
domain so why should I have to re-enter it?  It is very irritating.  I am
assuming there is some workaround for this annoyance.  Does anybody know how
to get around this problem or have you all accepted retyping your
username/password?

Thanks,
Stephen
0
slacker (6)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:35:02 -0800, "Slacker"
<Slacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I configure Outlook 2003 for RPC over HTTP it requires me to enter
>username/password again.  I have already entered it when I logged into the
>domain so why should I have to re-enter it?  It is very irritating.  I am
>assuming there is some workaround for this annoyance.  Does anybody know how
>to get around this problem or have you all accepted retyping your
>username/password?
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Stephen

No, you would expect to have to enter your logon credentials when you
access an SSL website wouldn't you?
RPC over HTTPS is accessing the exchange server using Basic
Authentication over SSL. You must enter the credentials when prompted.

0
mark7219 (5666)
3/12/2005 12:14:36 PM
"Slacker" <Slacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I configure Outlook 2003 for RPC over HTTP it requires me to enter
>username/password again.  I have already entered it when I logged into the
>domain so why should I have to re-enter it?  It is very irritating.  I am
>assuming there is some workaround for this annoyance.  Does anybody know how
>to get around this problem or have you all accepted retyping your
>username/password?
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you're logging on to the domain, why are you using RPC-over-HTTPS
(note the "S", which is missing from your description) to get to your
Exchange server? Aren't you already using a VPN or a direct connection
to the LAN?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> If you're logging on to the domain, why are you using RPC-over-HTTPS
> (note the "S", which is missing from your description) to get to your
> Exchange server? Aren't you already using a VPN or a direct connection
> to the LAN?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

When I am in the office, I have a direct connection to the LAN but when I am
home, then Outlook uses RPC over HTTPS.

Mark said, "you would expect to have to enter your logon credentials when you
access an SSL website," but I would never EXPECT to enter my logon
credentials when accesing an SSL website that I access multiple times a day.
I would check that little box that says, "Remember my password."
There should be some way to have Outlook store my password or for it to use
my Windows logon information since my computer is joined to the domain.  If
IE or any other web browser can do it, why can't Outlook?  Somebody has to
know of some workaround.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stephen
0
slacker (6)
3/13/2005 1:45:01 AM
"Slacker" <Slacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>When I am in the office, I have a direct connection to the LAN but when I am
>home, then Outlook uses RPC over HTTPS.

And at that time the "Slow" connection is used becasue you're not
connected through a VPN, and your aren't logged in to the domain.

If you tell OL to use RPC-over-HTTPS for both fast and slow
connections you'll see the same behavior when you connect to the
Exchange server from the office.

>Mark said, "you would expect to have to enter your logon credentials when you
>access an SSL website," but I would never EXPECT to enter my logon
>credentials when accesing an SSL website that I access multiple times a day.
>I would check that little box that says, "Remember my password."

Bad security. I wish MS would nuke that feature in everything but
handheld devices where the keyboard is too small to enter the password
without making a lot of mistakes (try entering a 14-character long
password in Japanese on a SmartPhone!).

>There should be some way to have Outlook store my password or for it to use
>my Windows logon information since my computer is joined to the domain.

Your computer has its own account. Your's is different. And, in any
case, you aren't logged in to the domain and the authentication for
RPC is correctly set to "Basic" which means it won't use the
credentials you used to log in to the desktop (which isn't the same as
the domain).

>If
>IE or any other web browser can do it, why can't Outlook?  Somebody has to
>know of some workaround.

I'd hope there isn't one.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> Your computer has its own account. Your's is different. And, in any
> case, you aren't logged in to the domain and the authentication for
> RPC is correctly set to "Basic" which means it won't use the
> credentials you used to log in to the desktop (which isn't the same as
> the domain).

How is my account different?  Is it not just using cached credentials to log
into the SAME account?  It would work just fine logging in this way if RPC
over HTTP wasn't enabled since Exchange MAPI is also published on my ISA
Server.  I would always connect this way if ISP's between my home and office
didn't block port 135 from time to time.

Stephen
0
slacker (6)
3/13/2005 3:23:02 AM
"Slacker" <Slacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Your computer has its own account. Your's is different. And, in any
>> case, you aren't logged in to the domain and the authentication for
>> RPC is correctly set to "Basic" which means it won't use the
>> credentials you used to log in to the desktop (which isn't the same as
>> the domain).
>
>How is my account different?

Because it's not the same as the computer's account in the AD. While a
computer is also in the user objectClass it's not the in the same
objectCategory.

>Is it not just using cached credentials to log
>into the SAME account?

Only on the desktop, not the domain. And the authentication on the IIS
virtual directory is set to "Basic", not "Integrated".

>It would work just fine logging in this way if RPC
>over HTTP wasn't enabled since Exchange MAPI is also published on my ISA
>Server.

No, it would work differently because the MAPI/RPC uses your desktop
OR domain credentials. But, more importantly, it's not using HTTPS and
the authentication isn't set to "Basic" because there's no IIS Virtual
Directory security.

>I would always connect this way if ISP's between my home and office
>didn't block port 135 from time to time.

There's at least one good reason to deny RPC.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

RPC over HTTP problem
I am running an exchange 2003 server in a mixed mode environment (both Exchange and domain environments) and one of the DCs is a windows 2003 DC. I follow the instructions from Microsoft web site to set it up and could not make it to work as it connects only to TCP/IP instead of HTTPS. The only things I could think of probably because I am running in a mixed mode windows 2000 ? or is it because I havenot converted my Exchange 2003 to native mode? Regards Steven Are all of your DC/GCs Windows 2003? (This is a must.) Are you using a certificate from an internal CA or 3rd party to secure...

Outlook 2002--HTTP Server Type greyed out
I would like to configure Outlook 2002 to work with my Hotmail account. I am running Win Xp Pro SP1. Using this for reference: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287424 Upon selecting Tools>>>E-mail Accounts>>>Add a new E-mail Account>>>Server Type I find that the HTTP option is greyed out and unselectable. Any ideas? Thank You Yes it is a corporate network. I'll look into the admin-set policies on Monday. Thank you, Diane. >-----Original Message----- >are you using this on a corporate network? You administrator may have >disabled the ability...

Outlook 2007 via RPC
Hi, I have a XP workstation with Office 2007 working fine. If the computer is not a member of any domain, i can connect Outlook to an external RPC, this works fine, the install goes through fine too. If i then make that computer a member of a local Domain(not a member of the Domain that holds the RPC) and then log into that local domain with full supervisor rights I have connection problems.... "Cannot Open your Default e-mail Folders, You must connect to microsoft exchange with the current user profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file&q...

Help required with uploading a MS Publisher web site
I have read "Three top questions about publishing a Web site using Publisher 2003" but still can't upload my site. Using http://www.domain in the file name, prompts an attempt to contact server but it comes back with "Cannot find the URL 'http://www.domain ' please check your typing" What is going wrong? What should be in 'Publish to the Web' Dialog box 'Save In' field ? Publisher - Uploading http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/category/1921.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://ms...

RPC over HTTP setup help. RPC DIag returns no results.
I have been trying for several weeks to get RPC over HTTP workign in our environment. I refuse to put an ISA in place and am currently behing a Pix 520 ( which is not the issue, all logs show no denied traffic) I also see no error logs in either of my Exchange servers. Please any help is appreciated. From my Front end Server I see the followign when running RPCDIAG ** Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp. C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>rpcdump /p ncacn_http Querying Endpoint Mapper Database... RpcMgmtEpEltInqNext:(Access is denied....

Suggestions required on development strategy
Scenario: I am re-engineering a Great Plains project; it is an HR system using Great Plains and HR system. As it is my first time with the Great Plains, I can use some suggestions. Originally the project is developed on dexterity, and I had to take it to dot net as much as possible that is business logics etc to dot net, currently I am working over solution design and development strategies and I have came up with one and want some opinion on it. The original solution has two dictionaries that combine to form the product, the dictionaries contain resources from Great Plains and Human R...

How can Windows authentication be safer then SQL authentication
Hello! This question assume we use SQL Server 2005 or SQL server 2008. All claim that using Window authentication to access a sql server database is safer then using SQL authentication. For me I would say that using SQL authentication would be safer because of the text below. I mean that to access a SQL Server database it's enought to have a valid window account on that server. Assume we want to use SQL Server and we install it on server X. Then if we want to use Window authentication we must have a valid window account on that server but if we choose to use SQL authent...

http://companyweb/_layouts/3082/ows.js
We have SBS 2003 and windows 7 on clients. All works fine except a computer that since 2 month ago after a Microsoft update, when we go to companyweb and wants to edit fax list entrance, when we pick to edit appears this error (we are spanish): Mensaje: Se esperaba un objeto Línea: 12128 Carácter: 5 Código: 0 URI: http://companyweb/_layouts/3082/ows.js I try to translate: Missage: an object was expect line: 12128 Character: 5 Code: 0 URI: http://companyweb/_layouts/3082/ows.js Only with this computer and only when we try to edit our fax inbox, I put th...

Exchange 2003 over HTTP RDP Issue
Hello everyone! A problem with Exchange 2003 over HTTP/RDP SERVER SIDE: I have a single Windows 2003 Server running IIS with Active Directory installed. The Server also has Exchange 2003 Installed and it is working perfectly. There are NO other Servers in the domain, this is a stand alone Server. I have purchased a Certificate and installed it on the Server from Verisign. The FQDN on the internet for this Server is www.domain.com, and the certificate is assigned to www.domain.com The Server is called computer.domain.com, and the windows firewall is turned on. The only ports that are ...

RPC
Since having to repair my windows installation i am now getting these error messages when i try to connect to my Exchange server: A system component, RPC required by outlook to connect to the e-mail server is not configured properly. for more information contact your system administrator. What can i do the resolve this. Do you have these registry keys? REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols] "ncacn_np"="rpcrt4.dll" "ncacn_ip_tcp"="rpcrt4.dll" "ncadg_ip_udp"="rpcrt4.dll" "ncacn_http"="...

RPC
I was asked the following question from one of our developers. "Do we have RPC (remote procedure calls) setup with Exchange 2003 and Outlook?" I am running Exchange 2003 SP1. How do I verify this? Thanks, Tyson If you have to ask your answer is probably no. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833401/en-us hth DDS W 2k MVP MCSE "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:447DD05E-FD4A-47E0-88CD-983A1374497A@microsoft.com... >I was asked the following question from one of our developers. > > "Do we have RPC (remote proce...

Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2000 / RPC over HTTP
Howdy all! Just wanted to verify that Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is indeed supported on Windows Server 2000 SP3 and above! Additionally, want to verify that in order to use RPC over HTTP you need to be running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 (read: that it will not work on a WIN2000/EXCH2003 setup). Thank you! -- Cary W. Shultz Roanoke, VA 24012 Correct. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sysreqs/2003.mspx System Requirements for RPC over HTTP on Exchange Server 2003 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3RPCHTTPDep/91dc76e8-e60f-4f9...

RPC over HTTP #7
I have an Outlook 2003 client that is connecting to exchange server via RPC over HTTP. Whenever Oultook is launched or an active sync is attempted with the client, the user is prompted to enter a username and password. Is there a way to turn this authentication off? Other systems on the network configured for RPC over HTTP access are not prompting for authentication. I'm puzzled by what is causing this. Thanks, Mike Do you have the authentication set to Simple or NTLM? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolic...

Creating an additional inbox ???
Outlook 2003 I have 3 email accounts: two pop3 and hotmail. The problem is both pop3 accounts receive email in to the same inbox (under Personal Folders). I want to receive email in separete inbox for those accounts. HOw I can do that? In news:49973E8A-00CA-476F-BEC0-F55C684D9D12@microsoft.com, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Outlook 2003 > I have 3 email accounts: two pop3 and hotmail. The problem is both > pop3 accounts receive email in to the same inbox (under Personal > Folders). I want to receive email in separete inbox for those > accounts. HOw I ca...

RPC over HTTP and internal RPC access?
If I implement RPC over HTTP on an Exchange 2003 server do all the clients have to be configured to use this option or will the clients that connect through VPN or internally using previous versions of Outlook still be able to connect? In other words, is the server still backward compatible once the change is made on the server? Thanks, Mike They will still be able to connect. RPC over HTTP requires client side configs to get it to work right as well... "Mike G." <wet@dog.com> wrote in message news:K9ydndVGTcIrNdDfRVn-iA@pghconnect.com... > If I implement RP...

Addon / ISV info required.
Is there any Add-on / ISV which is compliant with HUD requirements. Also it can manage tax credit properties and perform income certification. Thanks, Arun. ...

RPC over HTTP #8
I use Outlook 2003 with SP2 on a windows XP SP2 laptop. I need to configure it so that I can connect to a Small Business Server 2003 that has 15 other users already using Exchange with RPC over HTTP. I configure the Exchange over Internet settings the same as another laptop user but it always gives me the response "Outlook could not logon.....Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action". Any help is appreciated ! ...

Sharepoint Workflow email containing image requires login to view
I have an image set up in a library in SharePoint 2007, that I'm linking to a workflow email that I created in SharePoint Designer. When the email is received by the user in Outlook 2003, it prompts them to log in with their credentials before they can view the image. This is only happening to certain users - what could be causing this? Anybody have any thoughts about this? "Mark" wrote: > I have an image set up in a library in SharePoint 2007, that I'm linking to a > workflow email that I created in SharePoint Designer. When the email is > rec...

rpc over https and Invalid name of server
i hope someone can help.. first I want to use rpc over https for a couple of users that all have 1 main server and that is it. They are running windows 2003 server and exchange2003/sp1 along w/office 2003/sp3. went thru hole process of all steps to get rpc over http working. Also I created a internal standalone version of certificate server. Create certificate with fqdn of exchange server. When i http if fails and will only let me do https which is great. I also do the rpc test and it show correct. I have followed all the steps and it listens on correct ports 6001,6002,6004...My certi...

RPC vs. RPC Out for Linked Servers
When configuring a Linked Server the Server Options tab has check boxes for RPC and RPC OUT. Can someone explain why you would or wouldn't need to enable either of these options? Thanks! Tom Ashby - Panam (Tom Ashby - Panam@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > When configuring a Linked Server the Server Options tab has check boxes > for RPC and RPC OUT. Can someone explain why you would or wouldn't need > to enable either of these options? One of them, has no function at all, as far as I know. The other controls whether you are permitted to make Remote Proce...

RPC over HTTP Failing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C3AD08.DB501CB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a Win2003/Exchange 2003 (both standard edition) box behind our = Netscreen firewall which I'd like to use for RPC over HTTP. I've = followed the directions in the Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide but = can't get Outlook to progress past the login screen. I keep giving it = my credentials and it keeps prompting me for credentials. a.. Server is single Exchange server, so there&...

RPC Connections
I have been using exchange 2003 for a year with no problems. I just setup a new server with SBS 2003. All is working well email and OWA. However we wanted to give outside access to sync our smart phones and outlook on our Laptops so I implemented the settings in the article “Implementing RPC over HTTPS in a single ES2003 environment” from msexchange.org (SBS had done most of them.) I can not get the 2003 outlook on my xp pro workstation to connect it gives me: Action could not be completed connection unavailable outlook must be online or connected. I think my issue is DNS My web doma...

RPC over HTTP
I am trying to set up RPC over HTTP. My configuration is fully compliant with the prerequisites. Only one server running as a DC and Exchange Server (proxy AND back-end): Win2K3 server SP1 Exchange 2003 Server SP2 Windows XP Pro SP2 fully patched Microsoft Outlook 2003 SP2 fully patched Certificate Server installed in the server I did all the steps you can find on Microsoft Web Site and (in the great Jim McBee book...). I made some test from another location on the Internet (in order to be sure not to be using the LAN), but I can't either establish any proper connection. Moreover, in...

eRec transaction type requiring G/L accounts (??)
I have our eRec bank format within Great Plains setup and ready to go. The checks appear to be setup and matching the file from the bank. However, I am wanting some clarification on those "other" transactions included by the bank file -- other than "Check" or "Check Reversal", that is. Namely, this includes EFT/ACH credits & debits and wire transfers, banking fees etc. I have looked at the documentation and below is what I am having trouble explaining why this is needed or what it is exactly that setting up the G/L account field for these types of tra...

OUTLOOK 2002
Hi, IS IT POSSIBLE TO STOP OUTLOOK 2002 TO STOP CHECKING THE HOTMAIL HTTP ON STARTUP OF OUTLOOK 2002, I TRIED MANY THINGS LIKE SWITCHING OFF SEND/RECEIVE GROUPS BUT TO NO AVAIL IT STILL CHECKS THE HOTMAIL ACCOUNT, ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS ...