roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???

hi all,

here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets
an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we
cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700
MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month.
she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have
access to them all the time.

so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes
she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's
asked to choose between the network version and her local version.
double ick. of course, offline folders is not really synching them, it
is just comparing them.

any thoughts on dealing with this situation?

chris

oh...and the long-term plan is to get enterprisevault from symatntec
and get rid of psts once and for all. we are just tallking about the
short term here.

0
cparsons (5)

How about setting up RPC over HTTPs, copying her PST contents to the mailbox
and enabling cached Exchange mode. This will provide a single source for
mail access and should make it easier for you to backup.

Go EnterpriseVault when you are ready.

Nue
<cparsons@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets
> an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we
> cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700
> MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month.
> she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have
> access to them all the time.
>
> so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes
> she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's
> asked to choose between the network version and her local version.
> double ick. of course, offline folders is not really synching them, it
> is just comparing them.
>
> any thoughts on dealing with this situation?
>
> chris
>
> oh...and the long-term plan is to get enterprisevault from symatntec
> and get rid of psts once and for all. we are just tallking about the
> short term here.

0
imaneophyte (3005)
4/27/2006 12:31:21 AM
so let her run with a 2-4 GB inbox?

0
cparsons (5)
4/27/2006 1:19:23 AM
you need to understand, the business needs and the requirements when it comes
to mails.
If you have budged, and don’t want users having 3 or 4 gig mail boxes, you
will have to invest and get the right product for your environment.

We use EMC Extender, what id does is,
lets say a user has 5 gig mailbox, and refusing the archive and not have any
limit,
If you run Extender against this mailbox, extender pulls all the content
from a mailbox into a network, lets say to the EMC san, or NetAPP(San device)

the size of the user mailbox will reduce, when you shortcut the mail box,
you specify and time limit, lets say all the e-mails older than 90 days, must
be short cutted.

Now admin is happy after short cut mail box size is came down form 5gig to 1
gig, better performance as well.
(actual size of the database wont change, unless database is taken offline
and use Eseutil /d  against it)

How about user, there is no impact to user, all the e-mail appears to be
still there, what Extender does is, leaves a shortcut, message seems like
there , just a picture, not an actual data, unless user click on it, at that
point, Extender pulls the data from where ever it is stored and puts back
into the Exchange database, and user sees the e-mail, this happens on the fly.

You may want to look into products like this, if you want your user to be
happy and you make yourself happy, of course product like this will be costly
I think a little over $30 G

Cheers
Oz

--
Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu

"cparsons@gmail.com" wrote:

> so let her run with a 2-4 GB inbox?

0
oz952 (210)
4/27/2006 3:01:02 AM
Sure, if she has room on her local drive for the ost file I see this as far
better than using PSTs. It makes your life simpler (admin, backups) and her
life easier (no sync issues, less worry about the PSTs (although she's
probably oblivious to this:-)

> so let her run with a 2-4 GB inbox?

0
imaneophyte (3005)
4/27/2006 3:43:05 AM
hi all,

thanks for your advice. just to be clear...we're a 60 person firm with
limited budgetary resources. so 30K for extender might be a bit tough
(althought maybe 30K is for more users). I suppose the approach
suggested by Nue is the least bad approach, although something about
allowing the mailbox to grow so big just seems scary to me.

thanks,
chris

0
cparsons (5)

E-Mail Storage
Will someone take the time to tell me where deleted e-mails are stored on my computer? I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 with Windows Vista 32 bit. Thanks for your help. Gene L. "Gene L." <Camelotscc@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:219959B4-7925-40CE-888F-3752A79A3822@microsoft.com... > > Will someone take the time to tell me where deleted e-mails are stored on > my computer? I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 with Windows Vista > 32 bit. Thanks for your help. > Gene L. OK, here is how I find mine: From Explorer find the...

Mail delay between Exc 2003 and Outlook XP
I have an issue with a delay in mail response between Outlook XP Exchange 2003. I just started a new job and have discovered that there are no storage limits set on any mailboxes. So there are several mailboxes in the 3 to 6 GB range. 1 complaint is that when a user views an email (via preview pane) it sits there - sometimes taking a minute to show up. One user is mainly complaining about this and has a mailbox that is 5.5 GB. I would naturally attribute this issue to the size of mailbox but it does not occur for other users with very large mailboxes. My questions are? Is there a realis...

"Program trying to access e-mail addresses" msg
Hi. I recently installed SP3 on my computer, and now I get an odd message when I open emails. A box pops up that says, "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'." My virus scan turned up nothing, and the "detect & repair" function of Outlook did not change this. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks! Same here. After "yes" or "no" outlook stop responding. Curious to find an answer! Mel &...

Collecting E-mail Addresses from E-mail Messages
I am using Microsoft Vista Home Premium and Office 2003. Is there a way to get Outlook to collect all the e-mail addresses that I have sent to and received from and put them in one handy list to be organized? yekke wrote: > I am using Microsoft Vista Home Premium and Office 2003. Is there a way to > get Outlook to collect all the e-mail addresses that I have sent to and > received from and put them in one handy list to be organized? Starting to make your holiday card mailing list? Unless you have saved a copy of every e-mail that you have received (or, at least, th...

Duplicate E-Mail #4

5436 084-B182 FW: Error on e-mail
I' m getting this kind of error 5436 084-B182 FW: Error on e-mail Bummer. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Agustin asked: | I' m getting this kind of error |=20 | 5436 084-B182 FW: Error on e-mail ...

restrict outside e-mail
We are planning on implementing exchange in the next few months, we'd like to give every employee e-mail but would like to restrict some of the lower-level employees to only allow internal e-mail, is there anyway to do this? If it matters we are currently planning on allowing only mapi and rpc over http connections Thanks Matthew Loraditch see these: http://www.neweb.co.il/msce/Res_Send_Mail.htm http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279813 "Matthew Loraditch" <mloradites AT yahoo DOT com> wrote in message news:OmpBayeGFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

deleted e-mail #2
In order to restore a crashed computer, I had to delete all files. Now I can't find any of the e-mails that were saved in my Outlook Express. In addition the outlook express won't start up. The error message states that it may be incorrectly installed. Please advise Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com ...

"clear categories on mail" rule
I have deleted this rule by mistake, how to restore it? Create the rule yourself: After receiving a message, which is assigned to any category, remove the category. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en> Am Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:12:06 -0800 schrieb Vic: > I have deleted this rule by mistake, how to restore it? ...

Tracing e-mail back to its source on a LAN
I am running Exchange Server 2003 on a small LAN. I have reason to believe that a virus has infected something on the LAN and is sending outbound e-mails. I have scanned each system and cannot find a problem but our volume of outbound email is much higher than it should be. I want to setup logging so I can track all of the outbound e- mails to their source and hopefully find the computer that is infected. I do not have much experience with Exch Server 2003. Could someone point me to a good beginners article or howto that will show me how to setup logging so I can trace the source...

Sending mail from other exchange mailbox
Hello was wondering if someone could help me out. I am running exchange 5.5 with outlook 2002 clients we have a situation where we created an additional email box for someone on the exchange server. Set it up so that outlook will open the additioal email box when starting. but when the person replys to an email that was recieved in the alternate email box the return address is his main email address. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to have it reply with the correct email address. he will have to expose the "From:" field in his Outlook profile, and manually select the a...

e-mail
I'm having problems setting up my vista e-mail account. I'm confused. My husband just installed verizon fios as our internet provider. I don't know what he did, although he has a user ID and a passcode. I don't know if I should use his user name and password, or can I use my own. If I can set up my own, how do I find my POP3 and server? Your email account provider has that information. To access your Live account using windows Mail, you have to access their POP3 server. The required settings are here... http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A5...

Excel charts created don't show when e-mailed
I have created charts in Excel but when I e-mail the workbooks the receipents can not see the charts. Everyone is using Office 2007. If it matters the OS is either Vista Business or XP Pro. If you need more info - ask me... Thanks! What is the file type of the file? If you close excel and re-open the file, are the charts there? Robert Flanagan http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "mainewayne" <mainewayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F51652B-1924-4C53-B2CF-36F74FCF4E3A@microsoft.com... >I have c...

New Attributes not showing in mail merge fields
When I try to at newly created attributes to a mail merge I cannot see them. Custom attributes are not available for a Mail Merge with the out of the box functionality. We will consider this feature for a future release. An Issue has been entered into our tracking database. -- Jason -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBD6B56B-F45A-4DFA-BA53-5BF03C2244C8@microsoft.com... > When I try to at newly created attributes to a mail merge I cannot see > ...

Double E-mail???
Outlook 2003 Occasionally I have experienced people telling me they were getting 2 copies of e-mails that I have sent them. Now (this never happened before) about 25% of the time incoming e-mails are showing up twice in my inbox. Any ideas what may be causing this? (It is not my internet provider as when I send/receive from their web based e-mail-this never happens). Bob If you are using an active mail scanning AV, turn off the mail scanning portion and just use the auto-protect. It is enough and the mail scanning is just a sales tactic. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all ...

Please return my E mail for me
I cannot log into my Email. On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:44:34 -0500, "NORMA LAYNE" <normalayne@rogers.com> wrote: >I cannot log into my Email. You're asking in the wrong place, Norma; this group is for questions about the database software Microsoft Access, and it's staffed by volunteers, not Microsoft employees. I would suggest finding someone local who can look at your computer and figure out what's wrong. -- John W. Vinson [MVP] What is your email address and password? "NORMA LAYNE" wrote: > I cannot log into my ...

E-mail description
Hi! I need convert e-mail to incedent. I have fuction to do that. But when I copy description (e-mail body) it perform like full HTML. How take text only, without tags? function with(oConvert.document.crmForm) { title.DataValue = oSource.subject.DataValue; all.description.DataValue = oSource.all.description.DataValue; } Thank you! ...

E-mail virus in Outlook Express 6
My OE version is 6. Lately I have been receiving an e-mail that has an attachment which came with the virus. (My Norton deleted them before reading the e-mail). What I noticed about the sender's name/email. It was fake e-mail address. My question how do I block the fake address and block any e-mail that has attachement which has virus in it? How do I trace it who did it? Is there a way I can do that? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: micr...

Using Outlook 2003 to check netscape mail.
I want to use MS Outlook 2003 to check my netscape mail. I setup the account in MS Outlook for to check netscape mail and it says that it can't log onto the server. Is there anyone who can give me any information on how to fix this? jakebraucht@yahoo.com Won't work. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Jake asked: | I want to use MS Outlook 2003 ...

Junk E-mail filter won't disable.
Our environment is OL2K3 and Exchange 2K3. I have a few clients starting to complain that legitimate emails are being put into the Junk E-Mail folder. They have filtering set to none. In fact, two so far were not set to Cached mode and had to have it enabled in order to change the Junk E-Mail setting. Any ideas how to fully disable the OL2K3 Junk E-Mail filtering? thanks in advance. Hi, 1. Do these users have anything on the "Blocked Senders" tab? 2. Are you running any client-side anti-virus software? Thanks -- Greg Mansius [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" w...

m01--How to set up additional principal pmt on mortgage
I have been given a system with money 2001. I have everything set up I think except that I do not seem to be able to set up my mortgage payment to show the additional principal pmt I make each month. Sure would like some direction here. Dford You should be able to edit the details of the Loan Payment to add another split element that is assigned to category Transfer:[name of loan] and is the amount of your extra principal. You can do this in the scheduled loan payment. (It may insist on Principal Transfer:[name of loan] instead of Transfer:[name of loan]. I'm not exactly sure when ...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...