reverse lookup for my exchange server..............

I am using Exchange 2003 (name riley) on win 2003 AD domain controller. When
I setup my AD, I used abc.com as my domain name. I figured it not a problem
since I am only using it locally. I can send and receive e-mails with no
problem.

Now, since many are using reverse lookup to filter out spam e-mail, I am in
trouble. When you do an nslookup for my exchange server from your server, it
comes up as riley.abc.com with an IP address that belongs to abc.com (which
is another website that does not belong to us). E-mails are being rejected
by those who use reverse lookup because it does not match.

Any idea on how to solve this problem? I really really appreciate it.

Dooma

You should have thought of that before you installed.  Part of that Design
phase!

If you are using a 2003 native domain and org there is a domain rename tool.

You need to register a domain then configure the MX record for the domain to
point to your mail server's external IP.  Since someone is using abc.com then
you can't use that unless they want to sell it to you.  As long as your
exchange is behind a firewall the domain name doesn't really matter except
you will have to change your companies email address to your new domain name
if you want to recieve email from external servers.  You will have to set the
SMTP server to use your new domain name as well.  You will also have to
configure another virtual server for your new domain in OWA.

I hope your exchange box is behind a good firewall.  It is not recommended
to run exchange on a DC!!  Big security risk!!

Thanks,
Chad

"Dooma" wrote:

> I am using Exchange 2003 (name riley) on win 2003 AD domain controller. When
> I setup my AD, I used abc.com as my domain name. I figured it not a problem
> since I am only using it locally. I can send and receive e-mails with no
> problem.
>
> Now, since many are using reverse lookup to filter out spam e-mail, I am in
> trouble. When you do an nslookup for my exchange server from your server, it
> comes up as riley.abc.com with an IP address that belongs to abc.com (which
> is another website that does not belong to us). E-mails are being rejected
> by those who use reverse lookup because it does not match.
>
> Any idea on how to solve this problem? I really really appreciate it.
>
> Dooma

0
ChadP (65)
11/16/2004 10:58:01 PM
Dooma wrote:
> I am using Exchange 2003 (name riley) on win 2003 AD domain
> controller. When I setup my AD, I used abc.com as my domain name. I
> figured it not a problem since I am only using it locally. I can send
> and receive e-mails with no problem.
>
> Now, since many are using reverse lookup to filter out spam e-mail, I
> am in trouble. When you do an nslookup for my exchange server from
> your server, it comes up as riley.abc.com with an IP address that
> belongs to abc.com (which is another website that does not belong to
> us). E-mails are being rejected by those who use reverse lookup
> because it does not match.
>
> Any idea on how to solve this problem? I really really appreciate it.
>
> Dooma

In your virtual SMTP server properties, you can specify a masquerade domain
name (riley.myemaildomain.com)

0
lanwench (7567)
11/16/2004 11:47:03 PM
One thing you could do is place a front-end server between your exchange
server and the net (also called a smart host).  You don't even need to use
Exchange, but could use a properly secured workstation/server with mail
scanner/forwarder software.  It does not even have to be Windows if you have
2 people, who aren't planning on leaving anytime soon, that know *NIX.

Also, for your actualdomain.com address you can always muck around with your
connection specific DNS suffix and ensure that the server registers its IP.

I use domain.forest.ad or domain.forest.local all the time for Exchange
servers and AD environments.  My external DNS has my Exchange server name
and IP. Granted, I run a split-DNS environment...it just makes it easier to
separate public from private.  I don't have a problem with the reverse
lookups that some of the SPAM scanners use.  Granted, my Exchange addresses
are also usually NATted from the 10.x.x.x to the external IP.

Your best bet may be to setup a smart host.

Bob

"Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am using Exchange 2003 (name riley) on win 2003 AD domain controller.
When
> I setup my AD, I used abc.com as my domain name. I figured it not a
problem
> since I am only using it locally. I can send and receive e-mails with no
> problem.
>
> Now, since many are using reverse lookup to filter out spam e-mail, I am
in
> trouble. When you do an nslookup for my exchange server from your server,
it
> comes up as riley.abc.com with an IP address that belongs to abc.com
(which
> is another website that does not belong to us). E-mails are being rejected
> by those who use reverse lookup because it does not match.
>
> Any idea on how to solve this problem? I really really appreciate it.
>
> Dooma

0
BobChristian (293)
11/17/2004 4:45:14 PM
I looked in the properties of server, riley, protocol, smtp, default smtp
but did not find where you can do that? Can you explain more?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Dooma wrote:
> > I am using Exchange 2003 (name riley) on win 2003 AD domain
> > controller. When I setup my AD, I used abc.com as my domain name. I
> > figured it not a problem since I am only using it locally. I can send
> > and receive e-mails with no problem.
> >
> > Now, since many are using reverse lookup to filter out spam e-mail, I
> > am in trouble. When you do an nslookup for my exchange server from
> > your server, it comes up as riley.abc.com with an IP address that
> > belongs to abc.com (which is another website that does not belong to
> > us). E-mails are being rejected by those who use reverse lookup
> > because it does not match.
> >
> > Any idea on how to solve this problem? I really really appreciate it.
> >
> > Dooma
>
> In your virtual SMTP server properties, you can specify a masquerade
domain
> name (riley.myemaildomain.com)

It's in the properties page of the Default SMTP Virtual Server.  Click on
the tab on the far right.  Click on the Advanced button (should be on the
lower right side of that tab).  Under there you will have the information
for masquerading.  The help file goes into a little detail about what each
of the dialog boxes do.

> I looked in the properties of server, riley, protocol, smtp, default smtp
> but did not find where you can do that? Can you explain more?
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
message
> > Dooma wrote:
> > > I am using Exchange 2003 (name riley) on win 2003 AD domain
> > > controller. When I setup my AD, I used abc.com as my domain name. I
> > > figured it not a problem since I am only using it locally. I can send
> > > and receive e-mails with no problem.
> > >
> > > Now, since many are using reverse lookup to filter out spam e-mail, I
> > > am in trouble. When you do an nslookup for my exchange server from
> > > your server, it comes up as riley.abc.com with an IP address that
> > > belongs to abc.com (which is another website that does not belong to
> > > us). E-mails are being rejected by those who use reverse lookup
> > > because it does not match.
> > >
> > > Any idea on how to solve this problem? I really really appreciate it.
> > >
> > > Dooma
> >
> > In your virtual SMTP server properties, you can specify a masquerade
> domain
> > name (riley.myemaildomain.com)

0
BobChristian (293)

Lookup and return value
I have 2 worksheets, W1 has a unique id that I need to place on W2, if the names match. If name matches from W1, then place Unique ID on W2 Worksheet 1 - 2 columns Unique Id Name 100 Little 200 Smith 201 Blue 303 Yellow Worksheet 2 - 2 columns - Need to display Id Name ID Little Yellow Blue Smith On worksheet 2, cell b2: =INDEX('Worksheet 1'!A:A,MATCH(A2,'Worksheet 1'!B:B,0)) With error trapping: =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,'Worksheet 1'!B:B,0)),INDEX('Worksheet 1'!A:A,MATCH(A2,'Worksheet 1'!B:B,0)),"") ...

Multiple e-mail domains on a single exhange 2003 server
Hello, We have one Windows 2003 server with a single AD domain (abc.com). We also have on the same server Exhange 2003 who is responsible for the e-mail domain abc.com. This is working fine. Now we want to add two additional e-mail domains in exchange. What do I need to configure? I've searched in books but didn't find a clear picture on how to implement this. Thanks, Filip "Filip D'haene" <filip.dhaene@apscomputers.be> wrote in news:exoh6v9#DHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl: > Now we want to add two additional e-mail > domains > in exchange. What do ...

Outlook 2007 and Exchange
Hi, I have a user who got the good idea tu upgrade Outlook 2000 tp 2007 version. We do run an Exchange 2000 server here with 2000 Outlook clients. So now, from the Outlook 2007 version, we can't send email on the local domain anymore. We end up with the 550 error user unknown. I can delete and creat the account and the Outlook will detect the user name and the exchange server name as well but it just can't send it out. There is a smtp account configured on the same PC and it works fine. So why is sending to exchange won't work?, Thanks in adance. Steve -- ...

Exchange administrative groups
What are the limitations of Exchange 2000 in mixed mode? Can I create multiple administrative Groups? Can I create multiple Exchange 2000 routing Groups? When Exchange is in Native mode can I move servers between administrative groups? Thanks Rustom "Rustom" <RossMistry@hotmail.com> wrote: >What are the limitations of Exchange 2000 in mixed mode? > >Can I create multiple administrative Groups? >Can I create multiple Exchange 2000 routing Groups? > >When Exchange is in Native mode can I move servers between administrative >groups? > >Thanks &g...

Problems with the Exchange Server
Does anyone know how to stop the Exchange server from going down everyday? What i am doing is re-booting the server and also re- starting one or more of the Microsoft Exchange services. Check your Event Viewer Application Log, look for any red Errors. What are some of the Event ID numbers? -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Jason" <jason.lawrie@lineone.net> wrote in message news:46f701c3e41c$0ac4e940$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to stop the Exchange server from > going down everyday? > > What i am doin...

disabling read receipts in Exchange 2k environment
Hi, I was hoping to get a little advise on my win2k pro/office2k environment: when users attempt to disable the sending of read receipts (in Outlook:tools-options-preferances tab-email options button-tracking options button) the option to "never send a response" is greyed out. My research indicates that the Exhcange server may be causing this and I was wondering where on the Exchange server I should check? or if this could be caused by something else? I appreciate the help, AF On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:24:02 -0700, "AF" <AF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: &...

does IIS server effect the Outlook working
My outlook is working for incoming emails but not for outgoing emails. incoming= POP3 = port:110 Outgoing= SMTP = port: 80 iis server is using the same port no. 80 is it a problem Currently i am having .NET in my system does it affect Outlook work. I am using Godaddy server, incoming: mail.cybersoftdesigns.com outgoing: smtpout.securesrver.net Help me. Did you activate SMTP relay on your GoDaddy account? By the way, the ports GoDaddy supports is 25, 80, and 3535 for smtpout.secureserver.net. If the above question is a yes, give 3535 a shot. (By the way, I took this from http://help.g...

Dual boot in reverse
Hello, I have dual boot system: driveC --> WinXP driveD --->Vista Now, I do not need WinXP anymore. I want to have only Vista and combine C & D into one, single partition. How to do that without reinstalling Vista? Your thoughts appreciated, Claire On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:00:12 -0500, "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote: >Hello, > I have dual boot system: >driveC --> WinXP >driveD --->Vista >Now, I do not need WinXP anymore. >I want to have only Vista and combine C & D into one, single partition. &...

Exchange Router 08-04-04
Do any guys have aby ideas on installing Exchange Router in Exchange which is running on cluster environment. Do we need to install the exchange router on every exchange server? JC- Our email connector in Microsoft CRM 1.X has not been tested with clustered Exchange and thus is not a supported option - Regards, Alex "JC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:beb201c479cb$0ffdf4c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Do any guys have aby ideas on installing Exchange Router > in Exchange which is running on cluster environment. Do > we need to install the e...

Reports on Exchange?
I want to see how many emails exist in all of my users' Deleted Items that are older than 90 days. How would I go about getting that report? ...

SQL Server Edition
Hi Experts I have serveral SQL Server and many instances under each server. I have problem in finding what are the editions of each instance. I know the following techs 1. SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition') (T-SQL and ADO) 2. select @@VERSION (T-SQL and ADO) 3. Using freeware MAP 4. reading registry 5. Looking at the \LOG\errolog file I have limitation is using this in our env. I am particularly expecting a way to read from WMI. Can anyone forward me the script to read server na...

Exchange 2003 and multiple domains
We just converted from Exchange 5.5 under Windows 2000 to a new server running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and am having a couple of problems. 1. We have 2 domains (A & B with 2 way trusts) in our AD network, with 90% of the people in domain A along with the Exchange server. Domain B is also running AD under Windows 2000. All email addresses are JaneDoe@domainA.com even if the user account is in Domain B. When the 5.5 mailboxes were converted, new accounts for the people in Domain B where created in Domain A under the Users - Recipients folder but were disabled. The problem...

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

Warning Message by Exchange System Attendant
We are using Exchange 2003 and for the past several months, we have been receiving the following error messages in the event log: Source: MSExchangeSA Event ID: 9186 Description: Microsoft Exchange System Attendant has detected that the local computer is not a member of group 'cn=Exchange Domain Servers, cn=Users, dc=<domain>, dc=com'. System Attendant is going to add teh local computer into the group. Source: MSExchangeSA Event ID: 9187 Description: Microsoft Exchange System Attendant failed to add the local computer as a member of the DS group object 'cn=Exchange Do...

REVERSING TEXT
HOW CAN I REVERSE TEXT AND PICTURES ON PUBLISHER TO PRINT ONTO T.SHIRTS spike <spike@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > HOW CAN I REVERSE TEXT AND PICTURES ON PUBLISHER TO PRINT ONTO > T.SHIRTS YES. PLEASE READ REPLY TO YOUR FIRST POST. Please do not talk in all caps. It is considered shouting and makes your post difficult to read and is rude. Your first message ("how do i reversie pictures and text for printing to t.shirts") is directly below this one and has been answered by yours truly. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Is information stores in Exchange 2000 compatible with Exchange 20
I was asked a question after migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. If we need to retrieve information from the old backups of Exchange 2000, do we need to setup Exchange 2000? Can we access these old Exchange 2000 stores from Exchange 2003? Any advise with be appreciated. Yes, you will need to setup E2K on recovery server (possibly in Virtual PC environment) to restore backups of E2K. Michael C wrote: > I was asked a question after migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. > If we need to retrieve information from the old backups of Exchange 2000, do > we need to...

exchange server tracking
Can any one tell me if exchange 2003 allows Message Tracking to be reported directly to SQL 2000. If it can how can i do it. Also can any one suggest good mail stats gathering tools. thankx, rushi. On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:20:01 -0800, rushi <rushi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can any one tell me if exchange 2003 allows Message Tracking to be reported >directly to SQL 2000. > >If it can how can i do it. > >Also can any one suggest good mail stats gathering tools. > >thankx, >rushi. The tracking files are just text, so if you have create a pro...

outlook 2003 in cache exchange mode
hi all, does anybody know how often outlook updates its cache when cache exchange mode is enabled? i know it does it automatically but i just want to know if there is a set time/interval. i couldn't find any documentation on this. thank you much in advance... -edwin Edwin, There is not a way to configure cached mode to update more/less frequently. Configuring the Send/Receive settings schedule has no effect on cached mode synchronization of the mailbox folders. Hope this helps. -- Greg Mansius [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no r...

Microsoft Active Directory
I've sucessfully installed the Exchange snap-in on a few of my XP SP2 pc's, but and running into an error on them when udpating any user's email information. If I try and add an smtp address to a mail enabled user, I receive a popup stating: Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension Access is denied Facility: Win32 Id no: c0070005 I've confirmed that my account is a member of Domain Admins and Exchange Domain admins. I've also confirmed that those 2 groups have been delegated Full Exchange Admin rights in our 2003 Exchange site. The strange thing is that I h...

Exchange 2003 public folder not accepting external email
Hi There, I have a public folder set up, email enabled, for the purpose of accepting emails automatically forwarded from an internal mailbox. The internal mailbox is set with the setting of automatically forwarding to the public folder as well as in the mailbox itself. Anything that is sent internally is being forwarded to the public folder and the mailbox, anything externally is going to the mailbox but not the public folder. Have I missed something when I set this "email enabled" to allow external emails? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kara Check the permissions on the...

Address Lookup
Hi, I am using outlook XP.If I compose new mail address lookup is not happening from cache of sent items, even though Automatic Name Check option is enabled. How to enable this option. Looking forward for your sugestions. Regards, Basavaraj Automatic Name check (autoresolution) uses your Contacts data, not the autocompletion cache. Autocompletion (Suggest Names...) uses a cache created from sent messages. You won't see it working until you've sent enough messages to populate that cache. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Basawaraj R Ghanti" <c_bghant@kyocera-wireless...

Exchange Database question
Hi All, I restored a online backup of my priv.edb on a second server to test with a third party tool for mailbox recovery, namely powertools by ontrack. Of course since it is an online backup the database file itself is locked. I haven't got the time to build a test exchange machine and just want to test against the restored file. I there any way to get the lock of the database file? On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:49:01 -0800, "Gawin" <McArcher@@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >I restored a online backup of my priv.edb on a second server to test with a >third p...

Business Data Lookup Snap
Hi, I have an install of CRM 3.0 and I am trying to connect using the business data lookup snap which is failing on connecting to the CRM server on the install. I have it setup so that CRM is on a different domain to the domain everyone is logging onto and am using the web client for the users and a trust has been setup. What i don't understand is one machine is connecting and installing the snap-in and all the others aren't. Is there something that I have missed, either in configuring the clients or the CRM server itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

2 Exchange Servers on 1 Network.
I'm a little new to this, so this may be a simple question. I have a domain, city.org. There is an exchange server internally, that hosts the city's e-mail, mail.city.org. (Exchange 2000 Enterprise) The city also provides internet access to an organization via their network that also has an exchange server, mail.development.org. (SBS 2003). These two servers are seperated by a simple Linksys router. All was well until they installed a Cisco PIX firewall. Now, the city can't send e-mail to the development organization. It replies that you do not have permission to relay. ...

Exchange 2003 Store
After upgrade from Exchange 2000, Exch2k3 store will not start. Any suggestions? Thank you "Tpoole" <tpoole89@hotmail.com> wrote: >After upgrade from Exchange 2000, Exch2k3 store will not start. Any >suggestions? Have a look at the Application and System event logs. You'll have to provide more information than "will not start" if you expect a more useful answer. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...