Retire old Exchange Servers

Hi All

I have a Windows 2003 w/sp1 and Exchange 2003 w/sp enviornment and on my
exhange tree there is my ORG which i will call ABC in the org there are two
administrive groups which i will call A and B. In the administrative group B
i have two exchange servers that belongs to a different domain from the
servers in administrative group A. I would like to retire both of the servers
in administrative group B. All mailboxes have been removed from both servers
in administrative group B to a server in administrative group A. There is a
routing group connector in both administative groups for traffic. There are
no public folders on the servers in administrative group B. The question that
I would like answered is can I just delete both routing group connectors and
then delete the servers in administrative group B and next delete B
administrative group. Thanks for your help in advance.
0
MikeMoore (27)

Delete the Connectors.
Uninstall Exchange on those servers.
After the servers are gone, you can delete the Administrative Group as well.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Mike Moore" <MikeMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I have a Windows 2003 w/sp1 and Exchange 2003 w/sp enviornment and on my
> exhange tree there is my ORG which i will call ABC in the org there are
> two
> administrive groups which i will call A and B. In the administrative group
> i have two exchange servers that belongs to a different domain from the
> servers in administrative group A. I would like to retire both of the
> servers
> in administrative group B. All mailboxes have been removed from both
> servers
> in administrative group B to a server in administrative group A. There is
> routing group connector in both administative groups for traffic. There
> are
> no public folders on the servers in administrative group B. The question
> that
> I would like answered is can I just delete both routing group connectors
> and
> then delete the servers in administrative group B and next delete B
> administrative group. Thanks for your help in advance.

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
9/27/2006 9:12:19 PM
Hi I removed the exchange servers today but I am unable to delete the
administrative group the servers were under. When I attempt to delete it I
receive an error message stating "the administrative group cannot be deleted
because it contains delegated administrative roles. Use the delegation wizard
to remove roles.

I need to know if/who to do this because it looks like all the adminstrative
roles are set at the org level and inherated down to the administrative
groups. I do not wish to remove these settings from the org only the second
administrative group. There is currently nothing under the second
administrative group all connectors and the routing group have been deleted.

Thanks for your help.

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> Delete the Connectors.
> Uninstall Exchange on those servers.
> After the servers are gone, you can delete the Administrative Group as well.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "Mike Moore" <MikeMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have a Windows 2003 w/sp1 and Exchange 2003 w/sp enviornment and on my
> > exhange tree there is my ORG which i will call ABC in the org there are
> > two
> > administrive groups which i will call A and B. In the administrative group
> > i have two exchange servers that belongs to a different domain from the
> > servers in administrative group A. I would like to retire both of the
> > servers
> > in administrative group B. All mailboxes have been removed from both
> > servers
> > in administrative group B to a server in administrative group A. There is
> > routing group connector in both administative groups for traffic. There
> > are
> > no public folders on the servers in administrative group B. The question
> > that
> > I would like answered is can I just delete both routing group connectors
> > and
> > then delete the servers in administrative group B and next delete B
> > administrative group. Thanks for your help in advance.

0
MikeMoore (27)

Exchange Migration To New HardWare with While Keeping Sama Machine
I have been trying to Migrate an Exchange 2000 Server to a New Box Whilst keeping the name of the OLD BOX which is really in need of disk space. 1st attempt I followed the procedures in a microosft technet document but ran into problems when i reset the machine account for the exchange box,After ressetting the account the machine was unable to log back unto the network.Solved the issue and reverted back to oldbox. 2cnd attempt i renamed the old box and named the newbox the name of the old box,installed exchange in disaster recovery mode but upon loading service packs and rebooting the ...

Archiving old email to PSTs
I will try to be as detailed at possible because people seem to have alot problems with this process. I am using ExMerge to archive messages from a mailbox. It is Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003. I have created a new account for this process. The account is not apart of the Domain Admin or Enterprise Admin group. The account is Local Administrator on the Exchange machine. The account was given Full Control to the server using Exchange System Manager.=20 This was done by opening Exchange System Manager, expanding the Servers container; Right clicking on the server; Click on t...

New exchange server in domain causing undeliverables
I had an exchange server in one of my offices go down and i replaced it with a new one. Due to the nature of the loss ive had to restore the individual pst files in new mailboxes on a new differently named server. The problem is even with removing the exchange attributes and then rebuilding their mailboxes on the new exchange server people are still getting undeliverables internally from other servers. System - front end exchange server taking care of SMTP Mostly 2003 SP2 exchange but some exchange 2000 servers still exist. All under the same domain name recepient policies forcively updated....

ntbackup of exchange
Can someone please tell me how to do ntbackup of exchange in a command mode? Would really appreciate that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:debc0736-ad9b-4ad1-862d-eab3e775dac7@r19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com... > Can someone please tell me how to do ntbackup of exchange in a command > mode? Would really appreciate that. I do not have instant access to Exchange right now but you can easily find out for yourself like so: - Use the ntbackup GUI to create your backup job. - Get it to execute later. - Open the Task Scheduler. - Open...

Error during Exchange Backup
Hello All, I am writing an application to backup and restore M.S. Exchange server programatically. I am using the Exchange Backup and Restore API and am developing the application in VC++ 6.0 on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Editioon. I am able to do the backup successfully but I am getting error in the function "HrESERestoreAddDatabase" during the resore. I am trying to call the function HrESERestoreComplete as follows: //<step 8> //HrESERestoreComplete CString strTempLocationPath; CString strTempLocationPath1; strTempLocationPath = _T("C:\\viraj\\exchangedata_b...

I see "The RPC server is too busy" when I click the Monitoring tab
That about sums it up. Detailed message: The RPC server is too busy to complete this operation. Facility: Win32 ID no: 800706bb Exchange System Manager About my environment: Exchange Ent 2003, SP2. Active/Passive config. Need some advice on how to fix it. Let me know if any more info is needed. Anything relevant in App or Sys Event logs? JMS wrote: > That about sums it up. Detailed message: > > The RPC server is too busy to complete this operation. > > Facility: Win32 > ID no: 800706bb > Exchange System Manager > > About my environment: > Exchange En...

Retire soon. Retire young.
Dear friend hello I'm Sofia Stavropoulou and I'm here to bring you the most amazing news !!! YES it can happen to you too!!! This secret changed my life totally within the last few months. How could I keep it to myself ??? I'm not making millions or anything as crazy yet, but i have so far managed to secure a 2000,00 euros monthly residual income . This has already given another dimension to my life. For ...... just investing half an hour daily. http://iokasti.juvio.com I invite you to have a look and try yourself what I have found to be the most pleasantly surprising th...

EXCHANGE AND ENTOURAGE
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3206438434_877813 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit When is Microsoft going to make entourage more compatible with Exchange server i.e. Contacts and calendar Neil@creativeleap.com --B_3206438434_877813 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>EXCHANGE &nbsp;AND ENTOURAGE</TITLE> </HEAD...

Exchange problem #2
Hi, whenever I start my exchange system manager, I get this error message in the event viewer and the system manager does not start. Faulting application exadmin.dll, version 6.5.7226.0, stamp 406d1e32, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.0, stamp 3e802494, debug? 0, fault address 0x000249d3. Any idea about this problem. Microsoft wrote: > Hi, > > whenever I start my exchange system manager, I get this error message > in the event viewer and the system manager does not start. > > Faulting application exadmin.dll, version 6.5.7226.0, stamp 406d1e32, > faul...

old posts
Is there a way to view questions posted a month ago? GOOGLE Groups is your best bet -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2008 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland Baltimore County .. "Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote in message news:OocjG$vTIHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to view questions posted a month ago? > On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:29:14 -0600, Jeff Klein wrote: > Is there a way to view questions posted a month ago? How about back to 1981? http://www.groups.google.com then click on Advanced ...

What will happen if exchange 2000 std larger than 16GB
I found that the M drive if already around 20GB and the event log had message about storage limit. The server still running, I want to know what will happen if it over the limit? Will all the email service down suddenly and all the user cannot use? hi, exchange 2000 information store is limited to 16 gb that consists of corresponding .edb and .stm files. store will be dismounted after the limit is reached and you have to create the free space to mount it again. by default M: drive is not available in exchange 2000. you have to enable it and that is also not recommended, unless there is...

company name change exchange
my company will be changing it name what do i need to do in exchange 2003 to accomplish the inbound emails of both companys and the outbound emails to have only the new company name any ms doc would be great thank you Set up the required MX records so the world knows where your mail server for those domains is. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319201 How To Use Recipient Policies to Control E-mail Addresses in Exchange 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249299&sd=tech HOW TO: Configure Recipient Policies in Exchange On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:45:03 -080...

Moving from existing Exchange 2003 server to new Exchange 2003 server
I apologize in advance - I'm sure this query has appeared many times, but I want to be sure that I have this clear in my mind before doing it. The company I work for has Exchange 2003 running on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition rackmount. This server is also running as a Domain Controller, however, which is a Bad Idea (tm). The server has a static private IP address within the company's network, and a static public IP address/hostname, for access outside the corporate network. We have a new server on order, with a larger storage capacity, and we would like this server to take ov...

Exchange 5.5 GAL
Hi All, We have 5.5 on a 2000 box using the 2000 ADC. We are trying to find a way to share our 5.5 GAL with another office that are running exchange 2000 in their enviorment. We know of a utility that is not support anymore and would be a pain to install. We are looking to see if anyone has a simple solution that would help us out. Thanks in advance for your input. ...

Import to Retirement Fund in Money
Hi, I am trying to import transactions to a 401K fund in Money 2006, but Money does not offer the retirement fund as selection for the import function. Does anybody know how to import the transactions, either as QIF or OFX file? I don't want to type in all the transactions by hand. If Money 2006 does not support the function, does someone know if the recent versions have that feature? Hope that somebody out there has some good information!!! W. Wahn In microsoft.public.money, wolf_wahn wrote: > > >I am trying to import transactions to a 401K fund in Money 2006, but Money ...

Remove exchange server frome site
Does anyone have a write up of removing exchange from a site completely? We have 2000 but want to remove it from our site prior to loading 2003. The only items we care about our the users email and plan to back up to PST files. Anyone know the steps to remove the first server from the site without having a second server to move things to. We have a utility for backing up all the email to pst's so that is not an issue. Rick, Here is an article on how to maunally remove Exchange that includes a section on how to remove it from the AD: 260378 XADM: How to Manually Remove an Exchange 20...

OMA Exchange 2003 ActiveSync Mobile 5.0
I am trying to get a Mobile 5.0 device to work with Exchange 2003. I have read the installs and KB's. This is where I am at. Server Windows 2003 Server Standard Exchange 2003 Standard SP2 OWA OMA ActiveSync Mobile Device Verizon XV6700 PocketPC Mobile 5.0 OWA is working fine and has been for some time. I installed OMA and ActiveSync. OMA is working fine now from a laptop and from the mobile device. All are using SSL. The thing that does not work is ActiveSync via Verizons broadband network. When I try to sync it says that I am not conencting to an Exchange Server. Guarantee that I have...

Exchange Users
does any one know how to empty select simgle users inbox, so you select 1, i have found you can do them all but i cant find how to do 1 ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 /Outlook 2003 SP2 Issue
I am admin for an office with Exchange 2003 SP2 with Outlook 2003 SP2 as the email client. I can send/receive email as normal. However, since this morning, when I receive an email, the preview pane states 'This item cannot be displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents.' When I attempt to open the item, I get 'Can't open this item'. I am not using (or not trying to use) any custom forms - and it seems to be a server-side issue (as I cannot view the email via OWA either). I can open past messages, though! Help!!!! Thanks! I get that sometimes ...

Login to Exchange Server Keeps Popping Up
I have a user who logs into their laptop as a local computer user (albeit an Administrator on the PC). The user then runs a Cisco VPN application to connect to our system, starts Outlook 2003. When Outlook first opens, it tells the user she is disconnected. Then a Windows-like login box pops up to ask her to log into our Exchange 2003 mail server. She enters the domain\username and her password (as she has a Domain login) and that box goes away and it says she is connected. She then goes to open an email and it sticks in the "downloading" status forever and ever. Eventually after...

How to import the old data
Dear All, Before actually investing into MS CRM, my company decided to take a test drive and I installed CRM 1.2 using MSDN key. I configured five users with appropriate security roles and they entered quite a lot of data to throughly check the product. After the successful test drive, my company has bought 10 users license professional suite and I have installed it successfully. Now the problem is that I want to transfer that old data entered by old users into the new deployment with the following considerations 1- In new installation, some of the old users have been deleted and some ...

Exchange co-existence
Hi, I am referring to section/point named as follows : ""Preserve the existing external SMTP e-mail addresses and use Exchange Server 2003 to route incoming messages to the Domino environment "" in the following guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/NotesDirAndMailMigrat/7084e96b-3f6a-4751-ae6e-9c9df6747943.mspx?mfr=true My query: Not anywhere in the guide it is mentioned how should i go about achieving the above point ? What steps do i need to perform in order to achieve this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance ...

SMTP settings versus AD/Exchange settings
Anyone able to explain the difference between the mail size (and others) settings under Protocol's SMTP properties and those set through policies or individually in Active Directory using Exchange? If I set a msg size limit in AD and increase it in the SMTP settings, which holds? What about vice versa? Thanks. Not sure how you can set message size in AD - do you mean individually in user properties? Here's a good reference for different message size settings: How to set size limits for messages in Exchange Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322679/ -- Bharat Suneja MCS...

Exchange Problem with Outlook 2003
We have Exchange Server 2000. Two workstations have Outlook 2003 which just this past week, after updates, will not connect to the server. Client workstations have office updates, but the error message is "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." How do we get Outlook back on line? Thanks in advance. C Anything notable in the event viewer? Have you verified that the server name and user name in the properties of Outlook have resolved? Did you try to delete and recreate the Outlook profile on the PC/laptop in question? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips:...

Fixed Asset Retirement date error
Hi all, I get this message when I try to retire one asset: "Retirement Date must be in or before the current fiscal year for any book." The Corporate book is current year, but the tax books (Federal, AMT, ACRS) are still on previous year as our tax accountants are not done with the tax returns yet. Do I have to wait to retire until ALL my books have the Year End Process routine completed for all books? Thanks, ...