Restricting Email - Exchange 2003

Sorry for the crossposting - I'm not sure which group is best here.

I need to restrict emails for the majority of my users.  Specifically,
emails going in and out of the company need to be blocked.  Most users need
to only send/receive emails to other users in the company, but they still
need to be able to receive emails from our other SMTP servers.  In addition,
we have a few users who need full email access.

Here's the environment.

Domain Controllers - Multiple AD Servers in multiple sites.  All in a single
forest and domain.  Not every site has an AD Server.  There is at least one
GC in each site with a AD Server and the Servers are in a full mesh for
replication, although partial meshes may occur in the future.  All DCs are
DNS Servers.
Exchange - Multiple Exchange Servers in multiple sites.  All are in the same
AD forest and domain as the AD Server.  Not every site has an Exchange
Server.  Every site with an Exchange Server has a DC.
Windows member servers - using the built in SMTP interface to route all
their emails to an Exchange server in the nearest site as a smart host.
OpenVMS and Linux servers - using the built in SMTP interface to route via
MX records to any Exchange server.

We have multiple SMTP addresses assigned to some of our system level
accounts that are sending the emails.  All users must be able to receive
emails from any server originating inside our domain.  Some users will have
full inbound/outbound email access, but most will not have inbound/outbound
email access.

Questions - can this be done?  If yes, can we do this via a AD security
group that lists the users who have full email access or do I have to
configure each user individually?

Thanks,
Mike Ober.

0
Michael

Sure.
Top two:
http://www.msexchange.org/search.asp?s=restrict#art

Users have been doing it for 10 years now.
You'll need to follow both carefully.
You shouldn't need to ask a follow up though, given it's a 10 year old
tutorial it's prety much been perfected to death.
0
Mark
12/23/2009 7:23:10 AM
Mark,

The top article, which restricts users to receiving from Authenticated users
only, doesn't work.  I tried it already and it blocked email from our
OpenVMS system, which must be allowed through.  However, the second article
looks promising and I'll give it a try on Monday.

Thanks,
Mike.

> Sure.
> Top two:
> http://www.msexchange.org/search.asp?s=restrict#art
>
> Users have been doing it for 10 years now.
> You'll need to follow both carefully.
> You shouldn't need to ask a follow up though, given it's a 10 year old
> tutorial it's prety much been perfected to death.

0
Michael
12/24/2009 12:40:23 AM
The top article does work :-), just not in your scenario as your OpenVMS
system does not authenticate.

--
Mark Fugatt
Premier Field Engineer - Unified Communications

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights

"Michael Ober" <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam> wrote in message
> Mark,
>
> The top article, which restricts users to receiving from Authenticated
> users only, doesn't work.  I tried it already and it blocked email from
> our OpenVMS system, which must be allowed through.  However, the second
> article looks promising and I'll give it a try on Monday.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Sure.
>> Top two:
>> http://www.msexchange.org/search.asp?s=restrict#art
>>
>> Users have been doing it for 10 years now.
>> You'll need to follow both carefully.
>> You shouldn't need to ask a follow up though, given it's a 10 year old
>> tutorial it's prety much been perfected to death.

0
Mark
12/24/2009 1:29:06 AM
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 01:29:06 -0000, "Mark Fugatt [MSFT]"
<markfu@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The top article does work :-), just not in your scenario as your OpenVMS
>system does not authenticate.

And how hard could it be to _make_ it authenticate???
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 01:29:06 -0000, "Mark Fugatt [MSFT]"
> <markfu@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>The top article does work :-), just not in your scenario as your OpenVMS
>>system does not authenticate.
>
> And how hard could it be to _make_ it authenticate???
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

It can't for various reasons.  The biggest is that I don't want the VMS
System account, or any of the Linux root accounts to be tied to AD.  That
way if the AD Servers are down, I can still control the non-Windows
environment.

In addition, the VMS system account's email address system@domain.com is a
secondary SMTP address for an existing account in AD so that replies to this
address can be handled from somone without using VMS Mail.  The option to
allow only Authenticated users doesn't check the secondary SMTP Addresses.
If it did, restricting to Authenticated users would be very easy to do.

Mike.

0
Michael
12/24/2009 3:45:44 PM
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:45:44 -0700, "Michael Ober"
<obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 01:29:06 -0000, "Mark Fugatt [MSFT]"
>> <markfu@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The top article does work :-), just not in your scenario as your OpenVMS
>>>system does not authenticate.
>>
>> And how hard could it be to _make_ it authenticate???
>> ---
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>
>It can't for various reasons.  The biggest is that I don't want the VMS
>System account, or any of the Linux root accounts to be tied to AD.  That
>way if the AD Servers are down, I can still control the non-Windows
>environment.

Does the VMS system use the Exchange server as a SMTP relay for all
its email? If so, if the AD is unavailable Exchange isn't going to be
working at all. If that's not the case then only connections to your
Exchange server have to be authenticated and you can use some other
account to authenticate with.

>In addition, the VMS system account's email address system@domain.com is a
>secondary SMTP address for an existing account in AD so that replies to this
>address can be handled from somone without using VMS Mail.  The option to
>allow only Authenticated users doesn't check the secondary SMTP Addresses.
>If it did, restricting to Authenticated users would be very easy to do.

If the VMS server is allowed to use Exchange as a SMTP relay then the
account it uses for authentication doesn't need to be assigned to a
mailbox in your email system.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:45:44 -0700, "Michael Ober"
> <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam> wrote:
>

>>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

>>> And how hard could it be to _make_ it authenticate???
>>> ---
>>> Rich Matheisen
>>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>>
>>It can't for various reasons.  The biggest is that I don't want the VMS
>>System account, or any of the Linux root accounts to be tied to AD.  That
>>way if the AD Servers are down, I can still control the non-Windows
>>environment.
>
> Does the VMS system use the Exchange server as a SMTP relay for all
> its email? If so, if the AD is unavailable Exchange isn't going to be
> working at all. If that's not the case then only connections to your
> Exchange server have to be authenticated and you can use some other
> account to authenticate with.

Yes it does.  However, if the Exchange server is down, VMS will hold the
mail for later delivery.  If AD is down, I still have a requirement to be
able to control the VMS system.  The exchange server itself is configured to
allow unauthenticated access.  It has relay restrictions configured to only
allow relays from a small number of known IP addresses, all of which are
blocked from entering the network from outside.

>>In addition, the VMS system account's email address system@domain.com is a
>>secondary SMTP address for an existing account in AD so that replies to
>>this
>>address can be handled from somone without using VMS Mail.  The option to
>>allow only Authenticated users doesn't check the secondary SMTP Addresses.
>>If it did, restricting to Authenticated users would be very easy to do.
>
> If the VMS server is allowed to use Exchange as a SMTP relay then the
> account it uses for authentication doesn't need to be assigned to a
> mailbox in your email system.
> ---

Only if I don't want to receive bounces from emails VMS sends to our
clients.  By assigning the VMS server's return SMTP address to an AD user
with a mailbox, we know when outbound mail bounces.

This goes back to the fact that the "Only Allow Authenticated Users" doesn't
check _ALL_ known email addresses listed in AD.

> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
Michael
12/25/2009 5:11:13 AM
Here's the solution.  As I originally stated, I have internal, non-Windows,
servers that use standard, unauthenticated, SMTP to send emails to users.
However, all return addresses generated by these servers are in Active
Directory as alternate SMTP addresses.  It's a multi-part solution and
actually takes two Exchange Servers, a front end server and a mailbox
server.

Step 1 - On your mailbox servers, set the Default SMTP Virtual Server
Properties to "Resolve anonymous e-mail"
Open Exchange System Manager
On each mailbox server, select Protocols -> SMTP.
    Right click the Default SMTP Virtual Server and select Properties
    On the Access tab, click the Authentication button and check "Anonymous
access" and then check "Resolve anonymous e-mail"
    Click OK twice to close the property pages.
    This appears to force the Exchange server to resolve any SMTP message
against Active Directory and returns the AD account that that email is a
member of.
    Do _NOT_ do this on Front End servers handling inbound internet emails.
It also assumes that internal emails bypass the Front End Exchange servers.

Step 2 - Create a "Query Based Distribution Group" in Active Directory.
    Apply the filter to the root of your AD domain and create a Custom
filter
    Do a "Custom Search" and enter the following LDAP query in the Advanced
tab.

        (mailNickname=*)(msExchRequireAuthToSendTo=TRUE)(!objectClass=group)

   This query "ANDs" the following queries
        mailNickname=*    ; Technically not needed, but this appears to be a
keyed field in Active Directory so it vastly speeds up the rest of the query

        msExchRequireAuthToSendTo=TRUE    ; This is the attribute the AD
Exchange General Delivery Restrictions "From authenticated users only" sets
and resets

        !objectClass=group    ; This prevents this query from impacting
users who are in groups that have been set to block inbound internet emails.
Note the "!" at the start of this query.

Step 3 - Apply your new group to the Public SMTP Connector's Delivery
Restrictions as a "Reject messages from" entry.  You will also need to apply
the registry edit described in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q277872 to each
Bridgehead server listed in the connector's General tab.

Step 4 - On each AD user who you want to block the inbound/outbound email,
select the Exchange General tab.  Click Delivery Restrictions, and check the
"From authenticated users only" check box.  You can use the query you
created in step 2 to do a "Preview" of who is blocked.

You're done.

My thanks to the Mark Arnold, Mark Gugatt, and Rich Matheisen, who gave me
pointers to the articles that were close enough for me to decipher the rest.
I have tested this configuration and it meets our company's requirement to
be able to block internet email for specific users but allow all users to
receive SMTP traffic from our internal servers.

Mike Ober.

> Sorry for the crossposting - I'm not sure which group is best here.
>
> I need to restrict emails for the majority of my users.  Specifically,
> emails going in and out of the company need to be blocked.  Most users
> need to only send/receive emails to other users in the company, but they
> still need to be able to receive emails from our other SMTP servers.  In
> addition, we have a few users who need full email access.
>
> Here's the environment.
>
> Domain Controllers - Multiple AD Servers in multiple sites.  All in a
> single forest and domain.  Not every site has an AD Server.  There is at
> least one GC in each site with a AD Server and the Servers are in a full
> mesh for replication, although partial meshes may occur in the future.
> All DCs are DNS Servers.
> Exchange - Multiple Exchange Servers in multiple sites.  All are in the
> same AD forest and domain as the AD Server.  Not every site has an
> Exchange Server.  Every site with an Exchange Server has a DC.
> Windows member servers - using the built in SMTP interface to route all
> their emails to an Exchange server in the nearest site as a smart host.
> OpenVMS and Linux servers - using the built in SMTP interface to route via
> MX records to any Exchange server.
>
> We have multiple SMTP addresses assigned to some of our system level
> accounts that are sending the emails.  All users must be able to receive
> emails from any server originating inside our domain.  Some users will
> have full inbound/outbound email access, but most will not have
> inbound/outbound email access.
>
> Questions - can this be done?  If yes, can we do this via a AD security
> group that lists the users who have full email access or do I have to
> configure each user individually?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Ober.

0
Michael

email from Japan in Japanese
Why do I see the body of the email correctly (in Japanese) but the subject line gets one ? for each character that outlook 2002 can't decode? How do I fix this? Thanks in advance, Scott ...

Restricting Input
Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or has a certain value? Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank. Thanks in advance. Randy, you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation, then input your restriction. Randy Vieira wrote: > Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell > restriction that will ...

OE sent emails
When I hit "send/receive", the status box showing the numbers of emails being sent (and received) actually shows MORE emails being sent than are in my outbox? I am concerned that I may have a virus, but my Norton antivirus & internet security are both up-to-date and operational, and I have also run Spybot to eliminate any spyware. Is there any trail I can follow to see what additional emails are being sent, and how they are being created? Oman <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I hit "send/receive", the status box showing the > nu...

cannot send email through outlook 2002
When trying to send an email , I get cannot send encrypted email . there are no certificates found OL2002: Unable to send encrypted email when offl (SOX020313700153) TITLE: OL2002: Unable to send encrypted email when offl [SOOPENV ] Encryption continued to work; however, [2002 - W_2660 ] ID: SOX020313700153 CRT:Mar 13 2020 MOD:Mar 13 2020 STS:Cust <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>...

Email address fro list
Hi, I making a spreadsheet of all the users in my company. How do I auto populate the next cell so that it takes the first name of the user and add @domain.com (domain= our email domain) so I don't have to type up all the e-mail address of my users? Thanks, Liz It depends on how your list of names is constructed, but if you have "first_name other_names" in A1 then you can do this: =3DLOWER(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1))&"@domain.com" and copy down. You will need to decide what to do if you have two or more first names that are the same. Hope this helps. ...

Font Problem
Why does my font change unexpectedly when the email is sent in Outlook 2002? I also have all recent service packs through SP3. I use HTML. I've tried the Mail Format tab options to change the fonts to always use my fonts and set everything to 10pt arial. It still arbitrarily changes its font size for no reason somtimes. Thanks ...

Blank emails #9
What does it mean when you get a blank email in your Outlook almost every day?? It is just a little envelope and I don't open it but I get them almost daily?? PatK <vegaspatk@cox.net> wrote: > What does it mean when you get a blank email in your Outlook almost > every day?? It is just a little envelope and I don't open it but I > get them almost daily?? It often means that someone's spam-generating program is brain-dead and spewing ill-formed junk. You can create a rule that will discard any message whose body is empty. -- Brian Tillman Thank you ver...

Move emails
Hi, I use WebDAV to move emails from one folder to another folder. The moving is ok. But some of emails still show up in the original folder. I use Outlook web Access to check, they are gone. But Outlook still has them. I run WebDAV program again and couldn't find them. Is there cache in Outlook that I need to clean it? Thanks in advance. Li ...

Unable to SEND Email
I have Outlook 2002 runnning on an XP machine (sp1). I connect to the internet with a cable modem and have no problems receiving or sending email while at home. However, while I am on the road I use a dial-up (tried Netzero and PeoplePC) and I can't *send* email. I can receive it fine but when I try and send I get a message, "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients." I have my incoming email server set to my cable server and my outgoing set to the dial-up. Again, I can receive just fine but sending doesn't work. I have tried the help lines for ...

How to email directly from publisher a document in the main body .
I am tring to email a flyer that I constructed in publisher. I do not want to send it as an attachement What version of Windows, Publisher, Outlook and Outlook Express are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "boxtteri" <boxtteri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E25049D9-676C-4ACD-8B6E-DFD83CB04267@microsoft.com... >I am tring to email a flyer that I constructed in publisher. I do not want >to > send it as an attache...

Outlook 2003 wont send email-very weird
Greetings. Last month installed Outlook 2003(Office 2003 Teacher/Student edition) The other day I found out that email I have been sending have not really been sent. Did some tests. Email goes into outbox fine. Email sends and then goes into my sent box. BUT, it never really gets sent. I have tested this many times. All the email in my sent box never actually goes anywhere. I have setup Outlook Express and it sends email with my ISP just fine. I have done a TEST AND REPAIR to no avail I have installed all updates to no avail I have uninstalled Outlook 2003 and reinstalled it to no ava...

office student and teachers edition 2003
Is Publisher 2003 compatible with office 2003 student and teachers edition. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from don <molarrycheese2003@yahoo.com>... > Is Publisher 2003 compatible with office 2003 student and > teachers edition. Publisher 2003 will not in any way affect the running of Office 2003 Student and Teachers' Edition -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm >-----Original Message----- >Is Publisher 2...

Word 2000 SP-3 Address Lookup Crashes with Outlook 2003
Please can anyone help in this problem that is consistently reproducible on different machines. Windows 2000 SP3 Word 2000 SP3 Outlook 2003 SP1 Single Outlook profile (set as default profile) which has a single user mailbox that connects to an Exchange 2003 SP1 Server. Outlook address book with the option set in the e-mail profile to show as last name then first name = 'File As (Smith, John)' The Outlook address book is set as default. Create an address entry in the address book. Close Outlook. Go to word and open the 'Envelopes and Labels' compon...

Error printing HTML email
Hi, I get an error trying to print emails I receive in HTML format. I am currently using outlook 2003. I hope someone can help me with the frustrating problem. Thanks Glen ...

SMTP Backup Exh 2003
Recently had connectivity problems with DSL provider,they do haowever provide a backup dial up service, is there away to setup a backup dialup on to E2K3 server for SMTP? Just a piont in the right direction would be enough, I realise this is very vague question many thanks DT You can configure an SMTP connector with an Higher cost, but the dial-up connection must be established first. More information: "How To Configure the SMTP Connector to Link to Internet Domains in Exchange", http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319426 -- Blog "subject: exchange...

Recovering/accessing email folder
I recently updated an account - my address book is still current, but no longer have access to my old email folders. How can I access those folders? Can we assume you're using Outlook and not Outlook Express? If you're using Outlook, look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:065c01c3d3b3$0ad89a40$a001280a@phx.gbl, Ri...

Oulook shortcut on 2003 terminal server
When installing office 2003 from the add remove program on a windows 2003 Terminal Server. By default there is no outlook icon on the desktop for Outlook. I need to get the Outlook icon to be displayed on all users desktop. I CANOT just copy the shortcut icon, becuase this does not have the properties screen to create outlook profiles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Eric Payne <bob@bob.com> wrote: > When installing office 2003 from the add remove program on a windows > 2003 Terminal Server. > By default there is no outlook icon on the desktop for Outlook. > I need...

Email from Publisher
This is my first attempt to email from within Publisher 2003. I have run into 2 problems I don't understand. I'm sending with the Publisher page imbedded in the message area (not as an attachment). The first test I ran I set my Outlook Options to display as plain text so that I could check to make sure a "if you have trouble reading this click HERE" text box in the document would get displayed (for those with HTML turned off). I get some of the text boxes but not all (including the one above). Why? Second, I have two versions of the Publisher page. The one that I...

Sending email
I wish to stop a generic Nt acoount from sending via a generic email. However i do require them to via the Inbox only. The problem. over 25 users login to 3 machines with the same login NT4 login account. they open a Generic email account using Outlook 2000 connecting to an Excjhhnage 5.5 server. at present they can send and recieve email, we want to limit them to recieve only. is this possible and if so How. Thanks Michael ...

Variables in email template in workflow manager
All, I am building rules in CRM workflow manager and would like the email that is sent out to have some of the fields value embedded. I know this can be done as the default emails that come with the system (email to account when status changes) have owner and title values included. How do I include the variables in the body of the email? Thank You for your help, Barry Sunshine Try to use an email template. Rgds, Per >-----Original Message----- >All, > >I am building rules in CRM workflow manager and would >like the email that is sent out to have some of the >fi...

Opening Office 2010 beta documents with Office 2003
The header says it all. I tried a "patch" or converter I found on the Microsoft web site and installed it, but I get errors that there is not enough memory to open the application. The particular file I am trying to open is an excel file created using a beta copy of MS Office 2010. Office 2003 is a certified, activated, registered release. Is there a file converter for this or do I just have to wait until Microsoft comes out with the final release? Really, I wish there would be SOME backward compatibility with Microsoft's Office products. It seems that whe...

outlook 2003 not responding when exiting
what should i do with my outlook 2003, it hangs or it says not responding.. and a baloon appears below and says cancel exchange server request but am not connected with exchange server. Are you on an exchange server? If you are it is simply stating the server is down. If you are using a pop 3 account, then remove the exchange server account that is configured. "erdbeermundinord" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D385F9D7-E850-4044-B0D4-4FE12B2B7626@microsoft.com... > what should i do with my outlook 2003, it hangs or it says not responding... &g...

EMails #12
I am receiving emails fine but new mail doesn't show up right away. If I click on another folder all of a sudden it shows my new mail. I am running Windows XP with Outlook 2002. Any idea's? Thanks Try adjusting the time between "send/receive" functions. >-----Original Message----- >I am receiving emails fine but new mail doesn't show up >right away. If I click on another folder all of a sudden >it shows my new mail. I am running Windows XP with >Outlook 2002. > >Any idea's? > >Thanks >. > Luigi <anonymous@discussions.micro...

Missing email body
I have a Exchange server 2003 SP1 with Windows SP 1. The server was not sending/ receiving email all of a sudden. I rebooted the server and all is well...... except that some users emails the body of the previous saved emails is missing. I can send and receive emails now and view the body of the emails now. The only thing that I can determine right now that it happened to majority of outlook 2003 users and only 1 outlook 2002 user. Anyone have a clue what happened to the body of the emails and if they are recoverable. Any help would be gretly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Morl...

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most of our customers do no wish to load all products to MS CRM. Therefore the system restriction to use price lists is too inflexible. In case of opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level. ...