Restricting connection access to the virtual server.

Almost 80 % of the spam received at my server originates from a handful of
domains used by DSL users eg: nyc.rr.com, however these domains span a vast
range of ip address if I can block the domain I should be home free (or so I
hope).

Most versions of Exchange allow you to permit or deny access to your mail
server either by ip address or by domain name.

I can successfully restrict access by ip address.

However I cannot restrict by domain name.

If a given mail server is hostname.domain.com

Do I have to enter "hostname.domain.com" or is it sufficient to enter
"domain.com"?

I have tried the latter & it has not worked for me.  obviously the former is
pointless as I might as well enter the ip address.

I have not been able to find Microsoft's or anybody else documentation for
this feature.  What little I have found only address ip address & range of
ip address but not domain name.

I have reverse DNS enabled ( That's how I know the domain names ) & I do not
mind the overhead.

Any help /advice will be appreciated

0
this- (1)

"Ashwin Pai" <Apai-remove this-@lansend.com> wrote:

>Almost 80 % of the spam received at my server originates from a handful of
>domains used by DSL users eg: nyc.rr.com, however these domains span a vast
>range of ip address if I can block the domain I should be home free (or so I
>hope).
>

>Most versions of Exchange allow you to permit or deny access to your mail
>server either by ip address or by domain name.
>
>I can successfully restrict access by ip address.
>
>However I cannot restrict by domain name.

And what release of Exchange are *you* running? :)

>If a given mail server is hostname.domain.com
>
>Do I have to enter "hostname.domain.com" or is it sufficient to enter
>"domain.com"?

Exchange 5.5:    @domain.com
Exchange 2000/3: *.domain.com

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Upsizing SQL Server 2000 MSDE database to SQL Server 2000 Standard
I am running Great Plains v 7.5 We recently exceeded the maximum size for our MSDE database and attempted to upsize the database server to SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition. Since successfully upgrading the database components we have been experiencing the following error in GP: “This product's license allows it to be used only with Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE) database. Select another server in the Login window or contact your partner to obtain MSDE.” Has anyone experienced this problem, i was under the impression that SQL Server Standard edition was supported. Is...

Access Subtotal in Query
I have a simple query that uses 3 fields. Location, Person and Value. When I group by location and person and sum value, I get all the results I need but I would love to see subtotals for each location. I'm using Access 2003. How do I add in the subtotals. Something like Maryland, Person 1, 5 Maryland, Person 2, 10 Maryland Subtotal, 15, - this is the line I'm trying to get New York, Person 1, 20 Do this in a report. In report design view, open the Sorting And Grouping box (View menu.) Choose the Location field, and in the lower pane of the dialog, set Group Footer to Yes. You ...

Exchange server lost connection to domain
Exchange will not connect to the domain. Event id 4 began occuring yesterday. Attempts to reset to connection to the domain have failed. I need to know the consequences of dis-joining and re-joining a domain with Exchange running OS Win2003 Exchange 2003 Thanks Harry In news:uqgPlJW4GHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, harry <mackey@musc.edu> typed: > Exchange will not connect to the domain. Event id 4 began occuring > yesterday. Attempts to reset to connection to the domain have failed. > I need to know the consequences of dis-joining and re-joining a > domain with Exchan...

Accessing Portfolio
Using Money v.14 (2004 I think) Up until a few days ago I accessed my investment portfolio by clicking on 'Investing' then 'view my portfolio'. Now 'Investing' brings up a page of msn marketing bumf, and I can't find any route on it to my portfolio details! I just want to access my accounts. How can I bypass this marketing junk? Jonathan Gibbs ...

Access- How to log which user has modified access db?
Hi All, We have one MS Access database, which is being shared/accessed by number of users at the same moment. Few of them are admin users too who can perform update/delete/insert operations too. Now we have a requirement to log which users has perform which update operations. Is there some way, can you please advise. Thank you so much in advance, Best regards, Sunil Somani If you have User Level security enabled, you can add a column to each table and call the CurrentUser() function and add that user in the before update event of the form. Without that, you can use t...

Restricting Input
Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or has a certain value? Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank. Thanks in advance. Randy, you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation, then input your restriction. Randy Vieira wrote: > Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell > restriction that will ...

Project Server 2003 and MS Office Project 2007
Hello, I'm very new to Project Server and am researching the creation of templates that can be used by the PMs. We would create a comprehensive template based on PMI, RUP or Prince2 and save it as a template. I found out how to save the template and I can see it in the database allright but when I create a new project in project center, I get a blank project. How and where do I configure project server to use the project template I created in Project Center. Any help is appreciated. Jason Jason -- To create a new project from one of the two new enterprise project ...

Restrictions
All of a sudden I am no longer able to click on hyperlinks embedded within email and get an error message "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTION IN EFFECT ON THIS COMPUTER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR." I haven't knowingly changed anything but some other program may have. How do I get back to normal? See if the articles at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D310049 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D307818 help with this.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrator...

Running CRM 3.0 and CRM 4.0 on the same server
I am in the process of testing conversion from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and want to know if it is possible to run both on the same server concurrently. I currently have a test CRM 3.0 set up and would like to install and run CRM 4.0 in a second data base on the same SQL Server and Web Server. Is this possible? Al Pemberton CRM uses Active Directory to link the users in and create security groups, especially CRM3. I would not do this. "Al Pemberton" wrote: > I am in the process of testing conversion from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and > want to know if it is possible to run both on t...

why does my outlook 2007 not connect to the internet anymore?
our out look express was working fine. now we are not able to recieve or send messages unless we log on to the online version through the internet. the send recieve button and send button at the top of the new message window seems to have gone!? Looks you failed to configure your mail account in Outlook. State precisely how you did so if you need help here. You provided no information. -- Russ Valentine "bumperbookshop" <bumperbookshop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5A36EED-21E7-4CC5-A72E-B4133FE345BE@microsoft.com... > our out look expre...

Access 2007 freezes with everything
Hi, We've currently upgraded our Office 2002 to Office 2007. I know that with new programs comes "bugs" and "issues" to be worked out. However, we seem to be encountering a big problem with Access 2007. When opening an existing database (created in Access 2002), Access 2007 will allow the program to open, but if you try to do anything with that database....bam! it freezes. When I say anything, I mean just that. --If it's an existing database (any), as soon as you click in a record...Access freezes. --If it's an existing database (any), and you want ...

unauthorised to access page message
I just thought I would share this interesting issue with the group, I have been rolling out CRM without to many issues but then I had one laptop which refused to allow the user access to the CRM server. The error message was reported as "unauthorised to access page" error. after a lot of checking the configuration and playing with security levels etc I found by chance that the laptop had not completed a recent Windows update correctly. This was resolved by booting into safe mode, connecting to the windows update site running an outdate ( this failed as expected ) and then reb...

Problems connecting
I am having trouble connecting to my mail server with both outlook and outlook express. Everything was working fine until last week, after installing Office 2000, when I started receiving the following error: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Server: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F I started by Googling, without success, then reinstalled outlook/OE, then even ...

Is this possible in Access?
I have searched and searched for the 'perfect bingo program'. I have a few, but they don't do exactly what I want.I would like to create custom pages for printing, with one or two cards on each page. B4 landscape for single cards, B4 Portrait for doubles. A total of 50 pages for singles, 25 for doubles.On each page, I want to place a 5x5 grid with the numbers 1-25 placed at random. This I will do manually, I don't need access to generate random patterns for each page.Then, I would like to load a series of pictures, saved with the file names 1.jpg-25.jpeg.On each page, based on ...

connection point
ohn GI'm having trouble moving connection points on a shape. Am I doing it right? With connection tool selected, I highlight the connection point so it's magenta; left click mouse button and hold; press and hold shift; drag connection point to new location. This works sometime and not others. It is quicker to delete the point, then add a new one than play around trying to move a point. What's the correct way to move a point? I don't think you have to press + hold shift, I think you should be able to just drag them. What do you mean by not working, by the way, is the co...

Add application to list when camera is connected
Hi, I'm working on a photo management application, and I want to be able to launch my application easily when I connect my digital camera to my PC. When I connect my camera to my PC, a window pops up showing that windows detected that a "camera connected". This window also has a list of applications with the heading "Select the program to launch for this option". I want to add my application to this list. My question is, how can I do this programmatically? When I install and run the application on another machine, for example, I want my application to automatically a...

Auto number displays in access table instead of my descriptions.
One field in my table keeps showing up as the auto-number instead of the descriptions for that field. I have tried everything and don't know how to fix it. size5snoopy, I'm not sure what you mean... in the table you have a field whose Data Type is Autonumber but that is not what you want to see? -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "size5snoopy" <size5snoopy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Looking at the option of certifying our middle ware application for compatibility with SQL Server 2008 in order to get some Microsoft partner points
Platform: Visual studio (VC++) 2008, SQL Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 Hi, We are looking at the option of certifying our middle ware application for compatibility with SQL Server 2008 in order to get some Microsoft partner points in the Microsoft partner program. To meet SQL Server 2008 compatibility test it has been mentioned the document "Test Requirements for Microsoft SQL Server 2008" that "Application should use integrated security in order to connect to SQL Server and SQL Server components or Enable "Enforce password policy"...

Restrict calendar?
We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our employers are holding off on the purchase due to the fact that there is no way to restrict certain users from even being able to see "Free/Busy" on their calendars. They want it so that a whole Active Directory OU can be set to not have any calendar access to another OU's calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible? This is huge for us so a great big Thank You in advance to those who might have suggestion. sgsundqu wrote: > We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our > employe...

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most of our customers do no wish to load all products to MS CRM. Therefore the system restriction to use price lists is too inflexible. In case of opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level. ...

Outlook 2003 connect to Domino server
Dear all; Recently I have upgraded to outlook 2003 and downloaded the outlook 2003 connect. Since then I can not see all my folders in the outlook windows and need to goback to the lotus Notes. Does everybody have the same problem and does anyone know any solution. Many thanks. Regards ...

Restrict DB Access
Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL Database/Server when they login to GP? Thanks It's unclear exactly what you want to do. In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User Access window. When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the user can access through GP. Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle it is to have different user accounts. -- Charles Allen, MVP "JDR" wrote: > Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a si...

Restricting no. of recipients
Hello, We are using Exchange 5.5 server now and for some reason, we need to restrict the number of recipients that an user can send at once. I tried to find at most of configuration dialogs, but could not find it. Is it possible to enable this function in Exchange 5.5? Or is there a 3rd party tool regarding this? Appreciate it if you can find it or help me. Thanks. Richard You can set this, but it is for the maximum number of recipients in the message before distribution list expansion, so a distribution list counts as one recipient. It is much more accurate in Exchange 2000/2003....

restricting the drop lines to only a single series
I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected series only? z.entropic Hi Z, > I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to > only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line > option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. > > Is there a way...

Importing Data from Access -- Parameter Errors
I am attempting to import a query from access. I get to the point of view or saving query in excel and get message "Too few parameters, expected 4." There are several parameters in my query. How do I avoid this message and get my query into excel? Does your query work properly if you invoke it directly in Access? And must the user supply the values of the parameters directly, or can those values be picked up from a worksheet? I assume you're using Microsoft Query to return the data from Access. Microsoft Query is not as powerful as Access (and thus any other true relationa...