Restricted IPs still connecting despite Connection Restrictions

I have gone to System Manager -> Servers -> ServerName -> Protocols ->
SMTP -> Default SMTP and setup the following under Access -> Connection
Control on my Exchange 2003 SP1 Server.

Select which computer's may access this virtual server:
Only the listed computers...

1.2.3.0 (255.255.255.0) - Internal IPs
AntiSPAM server IP 1
AntiSPAM server IP 2
AntiSPAM server IP 3
AntiSPAM server IP 4
AntiSPAM server IP 5
AntiSPAM server IP 6
AntiSPAM server IP 7

Still I am seeing connections from serveral other servers on the list.  I
have even accessed my server remotely via telnet and sent an email to myself
successfully.  Shouldn't this prevent connections from IPs not on the list?

Yes, it should.

Have you tried restarting the SMTP service?  It doesn't look like this
particular filter is active until SMTP is restarted.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have gone to System Manager -> Servers -> ServerName -> Protocols ->
>SMTP -> Default SMTP and setup the following under Access -> Connection
>Control on my Exchange 2003 SP1 Server.
>
> Select which computer's may access this virtual server:
> Only the listed computers...
>
> 1.2.3.0 (255.255.255.0) - Internal IPs
> AntiSPAM server IP 1
> AntiSPAM server IP 2
> AntiSPAM server IP 3
> AntiSPAM server IP 4
> AntiSPAM server IP 5
> AntiSPAM server IP 6
> AntiSPAM server IP 7
>
> Still I am seeing connections from serveral other servers on the list.  I
> have even accessed my server remotely via telnet and sent an email to
> myself successfully.  Shouldn't this prevent connections from IPs not on
> the list?

0
Ben
5/11/2006 7:40:31 PM
Yes, I am very certain that I have restarted a couple of times since I did
the change originally.  To be sure I have restarted again a short while ago
and I can still connect from the outside.  The other IPs that I don't want
to connect came back a few minutes later as well.

I don't have Routing enabled so I am not routing messages out so that part
is working, but I am still under attack.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:upmBELTdGHA.5116@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Yes, it should.
>
> Have you tried restarting the SMTP service?  It doesn't look like this
> particular filter is active until SMTP is restarted.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have gone to System Manager -> Servers -> ServerName -> Protocols ->
>>SMTP -> Default SMTP and setup the following under Access -> Connection
>>Control on my Exchange 2003 SP1 Server.
>>
>> Select which computer's may access this virtual server:
>> Only the listed computers...
>>
>> 1.2.3.0 (255.255.255.0) - Internal IPs
>> AntiSPAM server IP 1
>> AntiSPAM server IP 2
>> AntiSPAM server IP 3
>> AntiSPAM server IP 4
>> AntiSPAM server IP 5
>> AntiSPAM server IP 6
>> AntiSPAM server IP 7
>>
>> Still I am seeing connections from serveral other servers on the list.  I
>> have even accessed my server remotely via telnet and sent an email to
>> myself successfully.  Shouldn't this prevent connections from IPs not on
>> the list?

Something isn't working right, then.

I configured a server using both settings.

First, "Allow connections from all except".  I put in my IP, restarted SMTP,
and was unable to connect.

Next, "only allow connections from the list below".  Same result.

I'd run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer, and perhaps think about
re-applying SP1 (or upgrade to SP2).

You might also consider turning up diagnostics logging on the server for the
smtp components.

--

> Yes, I am very certain that I have restarted a couple of times since I did
> the change originally.  To be sure I have restarted again a short while
> ago and I can still connect from the outside.  The other IPs that I don't
> want to connect came back a few minutes later as well.
>
> I don't have Routing enabled so I am not routing messages out so that part
> is working, but I am still under attack.
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:upmBELTdGHA.5116@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Yes, it should.
>>
>> Have you tried restarting the SMTP service?  It doesn't look like this
>> particular filter is active until SMTP is restarted.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have gone to System Manager -> Servers -> ServerName -> Protocols ->
>>>SMTP -> Default SMTP and setup the following under Access -> Connection
>>>Control on my Exchange 2003 SP1 Server.
>>>
>>> Select which computer's may access this virtual server:
>>> Only the listed computers...
>>>
>>> 1.2.3.0 (255.255.255.0) - Internal IPs
>>> AntiSPAM server IP 1
>>> AntiSPAM server IP 2
>>> AntiSPAM server IP 3
>>> AntiSPAM server IP 4
>>> AntiSPAM server IP 5
>>> AntiSPAM server IP 6
>>> AntiSPAM server IP 7
>>>
>>> Still I am seeing connections from serveral other servers on the list.
>>> I have even accessed my server remotely via telnet and sent an email to
>>> myself successfully.  Shouldn't this prevent connections from IPs not on
>>> the list?

0
Ben

Restricting Input
Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or has a certain value? Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank. Thanks in advance. Randy, you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation, then input your restriction. Randy Vieira wrote: > Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell > restriction that will ...

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most of our customers do no wish to load all products to MS CRM. Therefore the system restriction to use price lists is too inflexible. In case of opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level. ...

splitting up an IP address #3
macro works perfect. Thank you! -- eluehmann ------------------------------------------------------------------------ eluehmann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13095 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=277766 On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:59:51 -0600, eluehmann <eluehmann.1fmgi2@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >macro works perfect. Thank you! I'm glad it works for you. Thank you for the feedback. I'm curious -- what is the purpose of splitting up the IP address like this? --ron FWIW, You c...

Restrict calendar?
We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our employers are holding off on the purchase due to the fact that there is no way to restrict certain users from even being able to see "Free/Busy" on their calendars. They want it so that a whole Active Directory OU can be set to not have any calendar access to another OU's calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible? This is huge for us so a great big Thank You in advance to those who might have suggestion. sgsundqu wrote: > We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our > employe...

Restrictions
All of a sudden I am no longer able to click on hyperlinks embedded within email and get an error message "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTION IN EFFECT ON THIS COMPUTER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR." I haven't knowingly changed anything but some other program may have. How do I get back to normal? See if the articles at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D310049 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D307818 help with this.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrator...

why does my outlook 2007 not connect to the internet anymore?
our out look express was working fine. now we are not able to recieve or send messages unless we log on to the online version through the internet. the send recieve button and send button at the top of the new message window seems to have gone!? Looks you failed to configure your mail account in Outlook. State precisely how you did so if you need help here. You provided no information. -- Russ Valentine "bumperbookshop" <bumperbookshop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5A36EED-21E7-4CC5-A72E-B4133FE345BE@microsoft.com... > our out look expre...

Problems connecting
I am having trouble connecting to my mail server with both outlook and outlook express. Everything was working fine until last week, after installing Office 2000, when I started receiving the following error: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Server: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F I started by Googling, without success, then reinstalled outlook/OE, then even ...

Restrict DB Access
Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL Database/Server when they login to GP? Thanks It's unclear exactly what you want to do. In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User Access window. When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the user can access through GP. Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle it is to have different user accounts. -- Charles Allen, MVP "JDR" wrote: > Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a si...

Outlook 2003 connect to Domino server
Dear all; Recently I have upgraded to outlook 2003 and downloaded the outlook 2003 connect. Since then I can not see all my folders in the outlook windows and need to goback to the lotus Notes. Does everybody have the same problem and does anyone know any solution. Many thanks. Regards ...

Restricting no. of recipients
Hello, We are using Exchange 5.5 server now and for some reason, we need to restrict the number of recipients that an user can send at once. I tried to find at most of configuration dialogs, but could not find it. Is it possible to enable this function in Exchange 5.5? Or is there a 3rd party tool regarding this? Appreciate it if you can find it or help me. Thanks. Richard You can set this, but it is for the maximum number of recipients in the message before distribution list expansion, so a distribution list counts as one recipient. It is much more accurate in Exchange 2000/2003....

What happened to the New Form Dialog box; are there still autoform

restricting the drop lines to only a single series
I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected series only? z.entropic Hi Z, > I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to > only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line > option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. > > Is there a way...

Does Microsoft Still Support MSVC V6?
Can anyone tell me what the current Microsoft support is for MSVC V6? What I mean is, is it being maintained, and if so have Microsoft set any date when they will cease to support it, as they have indicated with VB6? The reason I ask is that a client wishes me to use it for a new development, and my preference would be to use .NET. One good reason not to use MSVC would be if Microsoft had already, or were due to drop it. I realise that I am asking people who would probably rather continue to use MSVC, but .NET is much more familiar to me. Thanks in advance for any information. Charles...

MX Record
I need to change the static IP of my server so I contacted my ISP and he claims he changed the MX record. I can’t receive email on my new IP address but if I change back to the old I can receive email. Am I missing something on my side or did the ISP not change the MX record correctly? ntwrk admn wrote: > I need to change the static IP of my server so I contacted my ISP and > he claims he changed the MX record. I can't receive email on my new > IP address but if I change back to the old I can receive email. Am I > missing something on my side or did the ISP not change the ...

send email from specific IP address question
We as a company have a few outside IP addresses. One of the addresses needs to be used just for email. How can I configue it so that my Exchange 2003 server sends email out through a specific IP address? Thanks in advance Greg On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:18:01 -0700, Greg <gregkh@hotmail.com> wrote: >We as a company have a few outside IP addresses. One of the addresses needs >to be used just for email. >How can I configue it so that my Exchange 2003 server sends email out >through a specific IP address? > >Thanks in advance >Greg NAT it on the firewall. ...

Cannot connect to Exchange Server using Earthlink dial-up
Our remote sales reps all use Earthlink dial-up software to connect to the Internet, and then open up Outlook to connect to our Exchange 5.5 server to check/send/receive e-mail. They use Outlook 2000, and have offline folders set up. All has worked well until this morning. Now, they all get the message, "Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. Contact your system administrator if this condition exists." The first thing that I thought of was that Earthlink has all of a sudden started blocking access to the ports that Exchange requires....

InvalidSecurityContextException trying to connect to WebService
Anyone know, why this might be the case? The user running the client has been setup as supersuer in the Dynamics Security Console Exception type: Microsoft.Dynamics.Security.InvalidSecurityContextException Exception message: Microsoft.Dynamics.Security.NonExistentSecurityObjectException : The security object does not exist. Key = 1 SecurityContext: ApplicationKey: 25cc1a21-2cc4-4b13-a1c8-eea186fb688a ScopeKey: 1 User: IGUSNJEWACCT3V\BizTalkUser Action: GetRoles Input parameters: <RequestObjects> <string>IGUSNJEWACCT3V\BizTalkUser</string></RequestObjects> St...

restrict to export records to Excel and restrict to print
Hi, It is a major requirement for us to restrict some users to export Microsoft CRM records to Excel file and to restrict them to print as stated in our implementation policies. Is there a possible workaround for this restriction? Would greatly appreciate for your fedback. Lot of thanks in advance. In v1.2 there is no easy way to do this. v3.0 should enable this via security roles. In thoery, you could do something with javascript that conditionally removed the link, but not sure how reliable it would be as it would need to do a server-based call to determine the security. Matt Parks...

restricted users
Is there any way to run pub 2002 xp as a restricted user? I want users on a certain machine to be able to user publisher but not install programs or make any system changes, as soon as they lose domain admin though, it barfs pretty hard. When you click on the icon it says it's running the installer package, then it throws a 1722 error saying there is a problem with the package and setup did not finish. The program at this point acually loads, but as soon as I try to do something it throws an error saying I have low memory or the disk is full and it crashes. Soon as I give domain...

NT Service ServiceMain() function not opening database connection
Hi All :) I am writing a simple application that establishes a connection to a access database and writes 'firstname' and 'lastname' into a table called my name.I have a function called DOSQL() that does the same. I want the app. to run as a windows NT Service so I put the code in ServiceMain() and it seems service main won't let me establish a database connection even though running the app. as a standalone works fine. I also tried calling the function in the constructor for the class and that seems to work fine. It seems that I can call the function from anywher...

Re: How do I extract a string from an IP address in Excel?
Or =LEFT(J1,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(J1,".","~",3))-1) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:... > One way > =LEFT(J1,FIND(".",J1,FIND(".",J1,FIND(".",J1)+1)+1)-1) > -- > Don Guillett > Microsoft MVP Excel > SalesAid Software > dguillett@gmail.com > "mardoh" <mardoh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:2A471AAA-A145-444F-BB00-FB0A388C15D9@microsoft.com....

Messaging size restriction bizzare
Hi, I am current using Trend Mico ScanMessage gateway and Exchange 2003. Incoming is going through ScanMessage gateway first and relay to Exchange 2003. I setup "sending message size" as 3900 KB in Global setting and 50000KB as receiving message size. I test it with internal mail and everything is fine accoring sending/receiving size restriction until external email such yahoo. For example, (External email) if I send 3 MB attachment which is fine and but not everything above 3900 KB (bounce: limit or email box is full). It seems Exchange is using sending message size (ov...

Connecting using FQDN vs. IP
I have just installed CRM 1.2 and when I connected to the website I seemd to get a random lag on the pages. Mostly when using the "close" and "close and save" buttons on forms. I was using the server IP to connect to the site, then I tried using the FQDN to connect and everything runs much smoother. I have not tested it much but does someone know if this is a real issue? Using FQDN and IP shouldn't make a difference. It is probably another variable that is causing this. Frank Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com >-----Original Message----- >I have just insta...

Can I restrict the undo function to the current sheet only?
In Word, the undo function applies to the active document only. In Excel, it not only switches sheets, but workbooks as well. Is there a way to restrict the undo function to the active sheet only? I guess I would then want Excel to maintain a separate undo stack for each sheet. At the very least, can I get this at the workbook level? Not with anything built into excel. On 09/23/2010 00:27, Prof Wonmug wrote: > In Word, the undo function applies to the active document only. > > In Excel, it not only switches sheets, but workbooks as well. > > Is there a way to restrict the ...