Restoring Exchange Store files to a new server

We had a major system crash this week but I was able to grab the entire
exchsrv directory from the server.  What files do I need to copy to the
new server to get all of my exchange mail/public folders/etc loaded on
the new server?

Thanks,

CJ

What version of Exchange?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Curious Joe" <joebob.johnson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We had a major system crash this week but I was able to grab the entire
> exchsrv directory from the server.  What files do I need to copy to the
> new server to get all of my exchange mail/public folders/etc loaded on
> the new server?
>
> Thanks,
>
> CJ

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/7/2006 12:52:21 AM
Exchange 2003 Enterprise

Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> What version of Exchange?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Curious Joe" <joebob.johnson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > We had a major system crash this week but I was able to grab the entire
> > exchsrv directory from the server.  What files do I need to copy to the
> > new server to get all of my exchange mail/public folders/etc loaded on
> > the new server?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > CJ

I would name the server the same name as the old, run Exchange setup with
the /disasterrecovery switch.  Apply the same service pack and patches you
had installed before.  Then stop the Information Store service, move the
database and log files, including the .chk file, to another location (to be
safe), restore the old database and log files, including the .chk file, and
then restart the Information Store service.  I think this should work.

For more information consult:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx
--

> Exchange 2003 Enterprise
>
> Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
>> What version of Exchange?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Curious Joe" <joebob.johnson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > We had a major system crash this week but I was able to grab the entire
>> > exchsrv directory from the server.  What files do I need to copy to the
>> > new server to get all of my exchange mail/public folders/etc loaded on
>> > the new server?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > CJ

0
curspice6401 (3487)

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5?
Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5? In short of making a spreadsheet of all MS Security Bulletin and Knowledge Base question I was hoping MS would have a list. Thanks in advance. Steve I use this site http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx Just put your current product and service pack level and it will answer you with the post sp KB's Hope this helps. David "steve" <mis.removethis@johnhcarter.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:6c2501c42ee9$c9bed140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a definitive list of what ...

Exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003
Hi, i currently running exchange Enterprise 2003. Because i don't have exchange 2003 enterprise license but only have exchange 2003 sbs, so recently i need to do migration from exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003. But what i concern about is sbs exchange have limitation with their database. I'm not sure whether is it a possible way to doing this so call "downgrade " migration? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using Attributes with Enums http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/abbb43b9-a667-4930-9588-542844a32d71/using-attri...

Exchange 5.5 #24
Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please advise >-----Original Message----- >Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please >advise >. > Since you said a few domains, do you have reverse dns for your mail server? Some mail server refuse mails if it is not set. Or maybe their mail server is temporary unavailable, could you check their MX record and test the connection manually ? With regards, Stefan I tried to send an email to this address alimento.augusto@libero.it and it came back with this error message "Unable to deliver the message d...

Excel docs won't open from clicking file
I have a strange issue us Excel 2002. When I double-click on an excel document it only open the excel program and not the doc. I can then go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc. Excel seems to be OK other than this strange issue. Word and the other office programs don't do this at all??? I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their associated open commands etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks- Hi Have a look at Tools/Option/General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications' if it's checked. Andy. "jayman" ...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Outlook OST file
Hello: I need assistance on importing or extracting the data from an ost file. Does anyone know how to convert or extract the data from an ost file to something I can manipulate or view my data? Thanks, Shawn There used to be a tool called OST2PST.EXE that would export Offline Storage (OST) files into Personal Storage (PST) format. I believe this has now become "Exchange Recovery". Try going to www.google.com and searching for OST2PST for information. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01da01...

Possible to import Exchange on same machine
Scenario : W2K on Exchange Server m/c crashed. Couldn't get to restart. Managed to do a side-by-side install of W2K fine. Could I somehow transfer the Exchange installation from the old W2K installation to the new ? regards How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server name http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];297289 -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Move Exchange 2k3 to new HW
I have an Exchange 2k3 Server running on a Windows 2k3 OS, and Cisco Unity. The server is out of warranty and we are having HW problems, so I want to move this to another server. I've seen several processes listed for moving from 2000 to 2003 but I haven't notices anything specifically for moving 2003 to another server. I assume the process is still the same. What is the best/prefered method for moving to the new server? Thanks CharlesW Charles- Are you retaining the same name? That's by far the easiest option. If so, get the new box built to the point that you're joi...

error when mounting store
I have an issue when mounting the public store. The store mounts without problem, but an error shows up in the application log. Event Type: Error Event Source: EXOLEDB Event Category: Events Event ID: 116 Date: 8/11/2005 Time: 6:12:24 PM User: N/A Computer: Description: Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to initialize event system correctly. Support for store event may have been disabled. HRESULT = 0x8000ffff. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. I ...

File In Use
When I open an Excel 2003 workbook I sometimes get a dialog box that says "File In Use - filename.xls is locked for editing by "user". Even though no one on the network has it open. I have to log off and log back in to get the file to open. Any ideas why this happens? Thanks. Sometimes cleaning up your temp folder will help. Excel puts some files there when you open a workbook. If excel (or windows) crashes, these files aren't cleaned up. And with some operating systems, you can do alt-ctrl-delete and view the tasks that are running. If you have a hidden instance ...

redirecting OWA to a different IIS server
I'm current running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. On this server we run IIS which also hosts our Intranet Server. I have to move our Intranet on to another IIS Server. Our intranet is the default website for all users. ie www.xxx.com.au. At the end if this web link they enter /exchange and it brings up their OWA. Is it possible to redirect the /exchange from my new IIS server easily back to my original IIS server easily? I recommend that you create a link that redirects to your OWA server. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!&q...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Importing a PST File #2
Further to my previous Posts. 1. I have backed up the outlook.pst file to CD using NERO 2. I have restored the outlook.pst file to a seperate folder 3. I have checked the file attribute and made sure the archive bit is off 4. I have run the scanpst program over the outlook.pst file. SCANPST came up with a large number of errors (I have the file). An example is: !!PMap page @6112768: PTYPE mismatch (read 00, expected 83) !!PMap page @6112768: BID mismatch (read 0, expected 5D4600) When I open or import the outlook.pst file, there are 2 empty folders... recovered and deleted. Any s...

Linking Switchboard button to a .doc file
Thanks in advance for the help. I would like create a menu within my database switchboard that will lead to a directions page that will assist in using each of my sub-menus within the switchboard. I have created these directions as Word documents that contain text and embedded pictures of the menus or windows. How do I import a .doc extension into the database in order to have it link to a menu button? Can I do this if the .doc resides outside of the database? I envision the user clicking a switchboard menu button and linking to a set of directions with a .doc extension. The .doc file wo...

Clustering/Load Balancing on Exchange 2003?
Our Exchaneg 2003 server failed this morning, so we were wondering about failover. With Clustering would it mean one of the 2 Exchange 2003 servers would not be used until the other server went down? ....and load balancing is simply that? What if one server went down? Are the DB's synch'd You're right about clustering - Exchange Server 2003 does have support for Active/Active clustering, if you do want to go that (not MS-recommended) route. Exchange Server 2007 gets rid of A/A and introduces a new clustering model that does not depend on shared storage and replicates ...

Can't open files on more than one computer
I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but when I tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time I received a error message. The error was telling me that the file was in use by another computer and would not open. I thought that was the reason I created the template file in the first place but I Guess I was wrong. Having told the children that we were going to make a Christmas card I needed to come up with a solution to this problem so I saved the card on a disk and went around the room and opened the file and to save time I made three copy’s o...

Not able to open .pst file in Outlook 2007
Hi, I am trying to open Outlook 2003 .pst file in Office 2007. However, it is giving me this error: Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using. Pls help. ________________________________________ " If you think you can, and if you think you can't, then you are right"- Henry ford How are you trying to open the PST file? Run Outlook 2007 then use File | Open ..... -- Bill R MVP "Shilps" <shilpi_sri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FBE11110-4F8A-4926-9020-F222ADAEDD63@microsoft.com... &...

Bringing up Old Files in Excel 2003
Hi: I just installed Office 2003. I tried to bring up an old file and it will not come up. It gives me a message about it having a virus (which it does not have). How can I get the old file to come up? Thanks Is the message you get more like "this workbook contains macros, which could contain viruses" or similar? You don't say which version of Excel files are "old", but you may have been running Excel97 with "macro checking" turned off or 2000 with macro security at "low". Tools>Options>Security. Check your settings. Turn to "low...

What is more important on Exchange
Okay, I've been asked to setup an Exchange Server 2003 and I was wondering in what order from most important to least important do you put the hardware? Example, 1. Processor 2. Memory 3. Hard Drive space. So would it be more important to have 1gig memory with 2 duel 3.2ghz xeon processors with 3 73scsi drives in Raid 5 or Pentium D Processor 830 @ 3.2ghz duel core, with 4 hard drives at 250gig in Raid 5 with 2gigs of ram? I think that actually that would depend on some things...How many users? how much email are they going to be keeping? how active are they in email? What are thei...

New user mailboxes not being created #2
Hi All, I am having difficulty getting newly created users to show up in the GAL. The email addresses for any new user are not being created. I can add new users successfully, either by copying from another user or by creating the user from scratch. I can log in as the new user. When I try to create the user in Outlook using Check Names, I get the following message "The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list." Any new user that I create does not get any email addresses created nor is it added to the GAL. If I go into System ...

1035 Exchange
What is the recommended method for posting a 1035 exchange? We are combining two existing annuities into one new one. -- Dalco ...

File names do not appear when trying to export to any file type except .pst
I am having trouble getting help to determine what the problem is in my Outlook. Outlook is 2003. When I try to export to any file type other than .pst, the files window appears empty. Only when I click .pst for the file to export to, do I get folders within Outlook. I suspect that some registry entries are missing in that I found some missing when I tried to export to text from Access. When I hand entered entried to the registry, copying them from another machine, everything started to work. Since this seems to be an esoteric problem, I don't quite know where to turn to get some ans...