Restoring Exchange server on a different computer / hardware

I am having a major headache trying to get exhange server online on a
diffrent computer / hardware.

I follow this microsoft advice
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822945&product=exch2003

The problem I ran into was that it will not mount the information storage
group.
The article states that I must  Restore the Site Replication Service (SRS)
database from the Exchange 2003 server backup.

Now I am perplex, as I do not know what that is exactly.

I thought, that all I had to do was restore the backup of the information
store.
How do I backup (SRS) and then restore it?  is it done through ntbackup?

Please advise.

0
theo (92)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822453

"Theo" <Theo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a major headache trying to get exhange server online on a
> diffrent computer / hardware.
>
> I follow this microsoft advice
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822945&product=exch2003
>
> The problem I ran into was that it will not mount the information storage
> group.
> The article states that I must  Restore the Site Replication Service (SRS)
> database from the Exchange 2003 server backup.
>
> Now I am perplex, as I do not know what that is exactly.
>
> I thought, that all I had to do was restore the backup of the information
> store.
> How do I backup (SRS) and then restore it?  is it done through ntbackup?
>
> Please advise.

0
tfelts1 (344)
6/2/2005 5:26:32 PM
Thanks Tom for the quick reply.

Let me ask you this , is SRS only neccessary to backup and restore if you
have exchange 5.5 running?

Becuase all I have is one exchange 2003 email server, and 2 domain
controllers.
Is it neccessary to backup and restore SRS in this case?

"Tom Felts" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822453
>

> "Theo" <Theo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a major headache trying to get exhange server online on a
> > diffrent computer / hardware.
> >
> > I follow this microsoft advice
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822945&product=exch2003
> >
> > The problem I ran into was that it will not mount the information storage
> > group.
> > The article states that I must  Restore the Site Replication Service (SRS)
> > database from the Exchange 2003 server backup.
> >
> > Now I am perplex, as I do not know what that is exactly.
> >
> > I thought, that all I had to do was restore the backup of the information
> > store.
> > How do I backup (SRS) and then restore it?  is it done through ntbackup?
> >
> > Please advise.

0
theo (92)

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5?
Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5? In short of making a spreadsheet of all MS Security Bulletin and Knowledge Base question I was hoping MS would have a list. Thanks in advance. Steve I use this site http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx Just put your current product and service pack level and it will answer you with the post sp KB's Hope this helps. David "steve" <mis.removethis@johnhcarter.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:6c2501c42ee9$c9bed140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a definitive list of what ...

Exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003
Hi, i currently running exchange Enterprise 2003. Because i don't have exchange 2003 enterprise license but only have exchange 2003 sbs, so recently i need to do migration from exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003. But what i concern about is sbs exchange have limitation with their database. I'm not sure whether is it a possible way to doing this so call "downgrade " migration? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using Attributes with Enums http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/abbb43b9-a667-4930-9588-542844a32d71/using-attri...

Exchange 5.5 #24
Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please advise >-----Original Message----- >Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please >advise >. > Since you said a few domains, do you have reverse dns for your mail server? Some mail server refuse mails if it is not set. Or maybe their mail server is temporary unavailable, could you check their MX record and test the connection manually ? With regards, Stefan I tried to send an email to this address alimento.augusto@libero.it and it came back with this error message "Unable to deliver the message d...

Possible to import Exchange on same machine
Scenario : W2K on Exchange Server m/c crashed. Couldn't get to restart. Managed to do a side-by-side install of W2K fine. Could I somehow transfer the Exchange installation from the old W2K installation to the new ? regards How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server name http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];297289 -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Couting occurences of different text
Hello Excelers, I have a column of text similar to the one shown below. I am trying to find a way to oount the number of different occurences. In this case, I have AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD and SSS so I am looking for a function that would return 5. I dont want to know the number of each, just the number of different values. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Paul AAA BBB AAA BBB CCC DDD AAA AAA SSS Hi, You could try 'Subtotals' within the 'Data' menu. Hope it helps, Dan. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ...

Move Exchange 2k3 to new HW
I have an Exchange 2k3 Server running on a Windows 2k3 OS, and Cisco Unity. The server is out of warranty and we are having HW problems, so I want to move this to another server. I've seen several processes listed for moving from 2000 to 2003 but I haven't notices anything specifically for moving 2003 to another server. I assume the process is still the same. What is the best/prefered method for moving to the new server? Thanks CharlesW Charles- Are you retaining the same name? That's by far the easiest option. If so, get the new box built to the point that you're joi...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

redirecting OWA to a different IIS server
I'm current running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. On this server we run IIS which also hosts our Intranet Server. I have to move our Intranet on to another IIS Server. Our intranet is the default website for all users. ie www.xxx.com.au. At the end if this web link they enter /exchange and it brings up their OWA. Is it possible to redirect the /exchange from my new IIS server easily back to my original IIS server easily? I recommend that you create a link that redirects to your OWA server. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!&q...

Clustering/Load Balancing on Exchange 2003?
Our Exchaneg 2003 server failed this morning, so we were wondering about failover. With Clustering would it mean one of the 2 Exchange 2003 servers would not be used until the other server went down? ....and load balancing is simply that? What if one server went down? Are the DB's synch'd You're right about clustering - Exchange Server 2003 does have support for Active/Active clustering, if you do want to go that (not MS-recommended) route. Exchange Server 2007 gets rid of A/A and introduces a new clustering model that does not depend on shared storage and replicates ...

crash under server 2003
I am experimenting with debugging methods and have a program that deliberately crashes. This works fine under XP but if I run the program on Server 2003 it still crashes but there is no error message - the program just vanishes without so much as a by-your-leave Anyone got any ideas? Many thanks Phil If you are running it in the debuger, check the trace messages. AliR. "phil" <phil@oakleafsoftware.co.nospam> wrote in message news:upFR3l6XFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I am experimenting with debugging methods and have a program that > deliberately crashes. ...

Can't open files on more than one computer
I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but when I tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time I received a error message. The error was telling me that the file was in use by another computer and would not open. I thought that was the reason I created the template file in the first place but I Guess I was wrong. Having told the children that we were going to make a Christmas card I needed to come up with a solution to this problem so I saved the card on a disk and went around the room and opened the file and to save time I made three copy’s o...

What is more important on Exchange
Okay, I've been asked to setup an Exchange Server 2003 and I was wondering in what order from most important to least important do you put the hardware? Example, 1. Processor 2. Memory 3. Hard Drive space. So would it be more important to have 1gig memory with 2 duel 3.2ghz xeon processors with 3 73scsi drives in Raid 5 or Pentium D Processor 830 @ 3.2ghz duel core, with 4 hard drives at 250gig in Raid 5 with 2gigs of ram? I think that actually that would depend on some things...How many users? how much email are they going to be keeping? how active are they in email? What are thei...

1035 Exchange
What is the recommended method for posting a 1035 exchange? We are combining two existing annuities into one new one. -- Dalco ...

Date difference 03-07-07
I am trying to use the DateDiff expression, but want the result to display 2 decimal places? DateDiff returns a Long Integer, so displaying decimal places doesn't make sense.-- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele(no e-mails, please!)"Brian T" <BrianT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74DD4D38-C994-49EB-9F5B-16F2759A5383@microsoft.com...>I am trying to use the DateDiff expression, but want the result to display >2> decimal places? You can format the result as a string, or convert it to a Double orSingle, but you'll only get 0&...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Exchange/Outlook password problem
Hello all, I have a user that changed her logon password, and ever since then, has to re-enter her username and password to get into outlook. At first i thought it was a replication problem, but she can login against all three of our domain controllers with no problems. It's just outlook that asks her to re-authenticate. we're running: windows 2003 server, sp1 on all servers exchange 2003 sp1 clients are windows xp, sp2, outlook 2003 sp1 any ideas? everything worked fine before she changed her password. thanks. Steve "Stephen Corcoran" <sbcorcor@comcast.net>...

Migrating Blocked Senders List to new Computer
I tried to search this newsgroup but could not find the answer. I have a new machine and would like to migrate an existing (and quite extensive) blocked senders list on an old computer to the new computer. I can migrate the mail but cannot seem to migrate the blocked senders list. It would be a shame to make us users type in the huhdreds or email and domains we have accumulated over the months and years. Please say it isn't so! thanks, Henry It's just a .txt file. ("Junk Senders.txt" I think) Copy it off the old machine into the same location on the new machine...

Store-only Exchange as a migration solution?
I'm looking for a simple, robust way to set up new SBS servers with Exchange-based mailboxes, but leave the sending and receiving of POP3/SMTP email purely in the hands of the pre-existing PC-based Outlook profiles until later. This means no server-based POP3 connector, third party or otherwise. And no Exchange-based SMTP traffic or routing. The intent is to mimize user impact during the initial SBS implementation. It may seem overly conservative, but we've found that many small businesses already have somewhat complex ISP-based email setups. Trying to re-engineer those at the same...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

IM for Exchange 2003
Hi, Is there a free instant messaging solution for Exchange 2003 environment? This is for intranet usage only. TIA, Vakharia On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:45:35 +0530, "Vakharia" <vak@()hotmail.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, >Is there a free instant messaging solution for Exchange 2003 environment? >This is for intranet usage only. > No. Live Communication Server is the Microsoft solution for this. http://www.microsoft.com/office/livecomm/prodinfo/default.mspx >TIA, >Vakharia > Yes... but can one install LC Server on a system that is also running exchange? I on...