restoring Exchange 5.5 mail

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C43DAD.2CDE01C0

I have a SEC request to restore mail from a user who used to work for us =
two years ago.  I have the backup tape for the period in question.  My =
question is where do I restore the data to?  The backup tape is of an =
Exchange 5.5 mail server.  I have since migrated to Active Directory and =
Exchange 2003.

What is the best way to restore this user's mailbox in order to recover =
a PST file?
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C43DAD.2CDE01C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif" size=3D2>I have a SEC request =
to restore=20
mail from a user who used to work for us two years ago.&nbsp; I have=20
the&nbsp;backup tape for the period in question.&nbsp; My question is =
where do I=20
restore the data to?&nbsp; The backup tape is of an Exchange 5.5 mail=20
server.&nbsp; I have since migrated to Active Directory and Exchange=20
2003.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif" size=3D2>What is the best way =
to restore=20
this user's mailbox in order to recover a PST =
file?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C43DAD.2CDE01C0--

0
slieske (3)

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C43DA6.7C2C4CC0

I would just bring up a new server, DCPromo it, then install Exchange =
5.5 with the same Org and Site name of the server that 5.5 was running =
on, the server name does not have to be the same.  Just restore the IS, =
you don't need the directory and you won't be able to restore it with =
the above scenario, then after you have restored the IS, run a DS/IS to =
resync the directory of the mailbox store, this will create the =
directory objects of the 5.5 mailboxes, then simply connect to the =
mailbox with outlook and export the mailbox to pst.

163713 XADM: Recovering a Single Mailbox from the Online Backup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=3D163713

--=20
Matt Richoux
Exchange Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no =
rights.

Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.
  "Steve K." <slieske@nebi.com> wrote in message =
  I have a SEC request to restore mail from a user who used to work for =
us two years ago.  I have the backup tape for the period in question.  =
My question is where do I restore the data to?  The backup tape is of an =
Exchange 5.5 mail server.  I have since migrated to Active Directory and =
Exchange 2003.

  What is the best way to restore this user's mailbox in order to =
recover a PST file?
------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C43DA6.7C2C4CC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would just bring up a new server, =
DCPromo it,=20
then install Exchange 5.5 with the same Org and Site name of the server =
that 5.5=20
was running on, the server name does not have to be the same.&nbsp; Just =
restore=20
the IS, you don't need the directory and you won't be able to restore it =
with=20
the above scenario, then after you have restored the IS, run a DS/IS to =
resync=20
the directory of the mailbox store, this will create the directory =
objects of=20
the 5.5 mailboxes, then simply connect to the mailbox with outlook and =
export=20
the mailbox to pst.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>163713 XADM: Recovering a Single =
Mailbox from the=20
Online Backup<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://support.microsoft.com/?id=3D163713">http://support.microso=
ft.com/?id=3D163713</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Matt Richoux<BR>Exchange Support</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no =

rights.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for=20
newsgroup<BR>purposes only.</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"Steve K." &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:slieske@nebi.com">slieske@nebi.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:eU64y6cPEHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl">news:eU64y6cPEHA.2256=
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif" size=3D2>I have a SEC request =
to restore=20
  mail from a user who used to work for us two years ago.&nbsp; I have=20
  the&nbsp;backup tape for the period in question.&nbsp; My question is =
where do=20
  I restore the data to?&nbsp; The backup tape is of an Exchange 5.5 =
mail=20
  server.&nbsp; I have since migrated to Active Directory and Exchange=20
  2003.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif" size=3D2>What is the best way =
to restore=20
  this user's mailbox in order to recover a PST=20
file?</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C43DA6.7C2C4CC0--

0
mattrich (5)

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5?
Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5? In short of making a spreadsheet of all MS Security Bulletin and Knowledge Base question I was hoping MS would have a list. Thanks in advance. Steve I use this site http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx Just put your current product and service pack level and it will answer you with the post sp KB's Hope this helps. David "steve" <mis.removethis@johnhcarter.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:6c2501c42ee9$c9bed140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a definitive list of what ...

Exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003
Hi, i currently running exchange Enterprise 2003. Because i don't have exchange 2003 enterprise license but only have exchange 2003 sbs, so recently i need to do migration from exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003. But what i concern about is sbs exchange have limitation with their database. I'm not sure whether is it a possible way to doing this so call "downgrade " migration? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using Attributes with Enums http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/abbb43b9-a667-4930-9588-542844a32d71/using-attri...

Mail ends up in outbox
I use MS Outlook 2000 on four machines. On one of these machines, email to be sent is often routed to the outbox where they queue for varying lenghts of time before being sent. On the other three machines, email is sent immediately with a copy routed to the "sent items" folder. Why is outgoing email sent to the outbox on the one machine and is there something I can do to avoid this? Thanks. Have you checked the settings on all machines to ensure that they match? what mode is Outlook installed in on all 4 machines? (Check Help->About, 2nd line). --� Milly Staples [MVP - Out...

Mail merge
If I want to do a mail merge, merging excel entries in word, how can I included multiple entries per identifier? For example, if I had a list of airline tickets matched with ID numbers and I wanted to send one email with all airline tickets matched with their ID number, how would I do that? Is there some kind of loop I can do? -- conksu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ conksu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31870 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=515995 conksu, You w...

Exchange 5.5 #24
Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please advise >-----Original Message----- >Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please >advise >. > Since you said a few domains, do you have reverse dns for your mail server? Some mail server refuse mails if it is not set. Or maybe their mail server is temporary unavailable, could you check their MX record and test the connection manually ? With regards, Stefan I tried to send an email to this address alimento.augusto@libero.it and it came back with this error message "Unable to deliver the message d...

Possible to import Exchange on same machine
Scenario : W2K on Exchange Server m/c crashed. Couldn't get to restart. Managed to do a side-by-side install of W2K fine. Could I somehow transfer the Exchange installation from the old W2K installation to the new ? regards How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server name http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];297289 -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Re: Junk mail doesnt filter when rules are enabled
Yes, I am dealing with this problem. I get mail from three pop accounts. I filter ALL my email based on what mail account it comes from and put it into a corresponding folder. Outlook catches ZERO percent of my junk mail because of this.... How can we get outlook junkfilter to work right?? Thanks. A very frustrated Lawrence "Sholom Deen" <sdeen@diamonds.net> wrote in message news:2ad7b851.0311061241.1a580be9@posting.google.com... > I'm having the same problem. Apparently, the junk filters are applied > before any rules, and since in 2003 the filters are not sim...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

after forwarding a promoted e-mail, Outlook crashes
This is with CRM 3.0, and a fully patched xp sp2 client using Office 2003 sp2, again fully patched. After a sent item is promoted to CRM, if I try to forward that promoted item from my sent items folder, Outlook crashes. I have been able to replicate this problem on several different clients. The application log on the clients get the following: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8118.0, stamp 456628bf, faulting module outllib.dll, version 11.0.8118.0, stamp 4566283d, debug? 0, fault address 0x002492c5. Has anyone encountered this error before? Should i be able to forward a p...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Move Exchange 2k3 to new HW
I have an Exchange 2k3 Server running on a Windows 2k3 OS, and Cisco Unity. The server is out of warranty and we are having HW problems, so I want to move this to another server. I've seen several processes listed for moving from 2000 to 2003 but I haven't notices anything specifically for moving 2003 to another server. I assume the process is still the same. What is the best/prefered method for moving to the new server? Thanks CharlesW Charles- Are you retaining the same name? That's by far the easiest option. If so, get the new box built to the point that you're joi...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Clustering/Load Balancing on Exchange 2003?
Our Exchaneg 2003 server failed this morning, so we were wondering about failover. With Clustering would it mean one of the 2 Exchange 2003 servers would not be used until the other server went down? ....and load balancing is simply that? What if one server went down? Are the DB's synch'd You're right about clustering - Exchange Server 2003 does have support for Active/Active clustering, if you do want to go that (not MS-recommended) route. Exchange Server 2007 gets rid of A/A and introduces a new clustering model that does not depend on shared storage and replicates ...

What is more important on Exchange
Okay, I've been asked to setup an Exchange Server 2003 and I was wondering in what order from most important to least important do you put the hardware? Example, 1. Processor 2. Memory 3. Hard Drive space. So would it be more important to have 1gig memory with 2 duel 3.2ghz xeon processors with 3 73scsi drives in Raid 5 or Pentium D Processor 830 @ 3.2ghz duel core, with 4 hard drives at 250gig in Raid 5 with 2gigs of ram? I think that actually that would depend on some things...How many users? how much email are they going to be keeping? how active are they in email? What are thei...

Printing Multiple E-mails in WLM
Is there any way to print multiple e-mails in WLM? It looks like you can only print one at a time. Hotmail allows you to select multiple messages and then print them as a group. Hopefully there is some way to do this, since I need to print out several thousand e-mails. Thanks for any help you can give! Highlight the lot, right click, print . . . . . "Todd" <Todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FB64EBC-217E-4346-858C-513812FE205E@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to print multiple e-mails in WLM? It looks like you can > only pr...

Sent Items #5
I use Outlook 2000 to send and receive mail. Somehow, all of my sent messages aren't appearing in Outlook 2000 but I have found them in Outlook Express. Anybody know why? "Joe O" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05e501c4806e$4bde6340$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I use Outlook 2000 to send and receive mail. > Somehow, all of my sent messages aren't appearing in > Outlook 2000 but I have found them in Outlook Express. > > Anybody know why? The ones that appear in Outlook Express MUST have been sent using OE. There is no other way the...

Charts move and formatting changes when using 'Send to Mail Recipi
I having some trouble with Excel 2007 when I use the 'Send to Mail Recipient'. The charts that are created in the worksheet move from their position and cover other areas of the report when I use the Send to Mail Recipient. Is there a better way to send the report to someone in email form as apposed to an attachment that will keep the report looking as it should? I know it works good when saving as a HTML but this I am unable to send it in an email. This seems to be a problem with Excel 2007 as it was working just fine in Excel 2003. Any information on this to help me send the ...

1035 Exchange
What is the recommended method for posting a 1035 exchange? We are combining two existing annuities into one new one. -- Dalco ...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Exchange/Outlook password problem
Hello all, I have a user that changed her logon password, and ever since then, has to re-enter her username and password to get into outlook. At first i thought it was a replication problem, but she can login against all three of our domain controllers with no problems. It's just outlook that asks her to re-authenticate. we're running: windows 2003 server, sp1 on all servers exchange 2003 sp1 clients are windows xp, sp2, outlook 2003 sp1 any ideas? everything worked fine before she changed her password. thanks. Steve "Stephen Corcoran" <sbcorcor@comcast.net>...

rescan inbox for junk mail
Hi Guys, I have just added an imap account to outlook - The inbox is full of spam. Is there a way to re-process all the messages with the outlook junk mail filter and move all the junk email out to a different directory? Bob <Bob@bobsyouruncle.com> wrote: > I have just added an imap account to outlook - The inbox is full of > spam. > Is there a way to re-process all the messages with the outlook junk > mail filter and move all the junk email out to a different directory? If you just added the account, Outlook should process the messages if you select the Inbox. -- B...

Store-only Exchange as a migration solution?
I'm looking for a simple, robust way to set up new SBS servers with Exchange-based mailboxes, but leave the sending and receiving of POP3/SMTP email purely in the hands of the pre-existing PC-based Outlook profiles until later. This means no server-based POP3 connector, third party or otherwise. And no Exchange-based SMTP traffic or routing. The intent is to mimize user impact during the initial SBS implementation. It may seem overly conservative, but we've found that many small businesses already have somewhat complex ISP-based email setups. Trying to re-engineer those at the same...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...