Restoring data to Exchange

Hello,
We are trying to restore our exchange data after doing a successful Active
Directory domain rename. Since Exchange is on a domain controller, we were
forced to remove it to complete the domain rename. So, we used ntbackup to
backup all of the data. Now, we are trying to restore the data, but we get
the following message:
<!-- Begin Message -->
Unable to restore Exchange data to HHNSRVR\Microsoft Information Store\First
Storage Group,
check the application event log for more information
<!-- End Message -->
As it says, we looked in the event log and found this:
<!-- Begin Message -->
Failed to find a database to restore to from the Microsoft Active Directory.
 Storage Group specified on the backup media is
d25aa7ee-5ac6-46de-95b4-6c70bdbdab17.
 Database specified on backup media is Mailbox Store (HHNSRVR), error is
0xc7fe1f46.
<!-- End Message -->
My guess is, since it mentions the Active Directory, it is probally somthing
to do with the domain rename. So is it possible to still use that backup
file, or, since we have very few mailboxes, use the data that are on the
clients'. I am open to anything. Thank you for any response.
0
Jimmy2836 (50)

Hi there,

The Active Directory domain name won't make a difference, however the
Exchange Organisation name DOES make a difference.

If this is the case you _can_ use this tool to rename it back to what it
was:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5EF7786B-A699-4AAD-B104-BF9DE3F473E5&displaylang=en

Or simply uninstall Exchange and re-install.

If using the new Exchange Organisation name is preffered then you will have
to consider building a recovery server, restore the database to this server,
export all mailboxes to PST using Exmerge, and then use Exmerge again to
import your mail data.

Before doing this wait to see if anyone else can contribute to this thread,
* heads are better than 1 etc.

 Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)

Exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003
Hi, i currently running exchange Enterprise 2003. Because i don't have exchange 2003 enterprise license but only have exchange 2003 sbs, so recently i need to do migration from exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003. But what i concern about is sbs exchange have limitation with their database. I'm not sure whether is it a possible way to doing this so call "downgrade " migration? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using Attributes with Enums http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/abbb43b9-a667-4930-9588-542844a32d71/using-attri...

Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5?
Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5? In short of making a spreadsheet of all MS Security Bulletin and Knowledge Base question I was hoping MS would have a list. Thanks in advance. Steve I use this site http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx Just put your current product and service pack level and it will answer you with the post sp KB's Hope this helps. David "steve" <mis.removethis@johnhcarter.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:6c2501c42ee9$c9bed140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a definitive list of what ...

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Import External Data (to Excel, from Excel) Misses Data
I had an Excel file with two tabs. One, "Log". was a running log filled out by processors (non-techie types). The other, "Scorecard", was various performance metrics calculated based on the log entries. For various reasons, I had to seperate these into two files. In order to calculate the scorecard, I used the "Import External Data" so the scorecard can be recalculated by "Refresh Data" to get the latest update from the log. In the import wizard, I select the Excel file with the log in it and then choose the tab that contains the log, "Log$". ...

Getting Data from another sheet?
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to work out this problem I have a large spreadsheet with fifty customers and all of their orde info on it. I am concerned with four customers. Is there a quick way t draw out all of the customers I'm concerned with into another sheet? I the customer names are in column B, but I want the whole row, so I ca see the order info...? I would record a macro, but cutting and pastin is only going to get screwed up as the loaction of each order change every day -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovic...

Exchange 5.5 #24
Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please advise >-----Original Message----- >Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please >advise >. > Since you said a few domains, do you have reverse dns for your mail server? Some mail server refuse mails if it is not set. Or maybe their mail server is temporary unavailable, could you check their MX record and test the connection manually ? With regards, Stefan I tried to send an email to this address alimento.augusto@libero.it and it came back with this error message "Unable to deliver the message d...

Why do Data markers in Excel 2003 appear to be bold?
When crating charts in Excell 2003 the Data Markers (numerous points) appear to be bold and blurry. This does not occur in Excel XP. Marker size is set to 2. ...

Sumarize data in Query like in a Pivot Table
I have a query that pulls in data from payroll and sales tables. Results are similar to the following: Payroll_No L_Name Sale_No Sale_Amt 12345 Smith 2434 100 12345 Smith 3434 200 12345 Smith 3654 50 23456 Jones 7870 50 23456 Jones 7987 200 45678 Phillips 2223 100 45678 Phillips 9898 50 45678 Phillips 9896 300 45678 Phillips 7878 200 45678 Phi...

Possible to import Exchange on same machine
Scenario : W2K on Exchange Server m/c crashed. Couldn't get to restart. Managed to do a side-by-side install of W2K fine. Could I somehow transfer the Exchange installation from the old W2K installation to the new ? regards How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server name http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];297289 -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

What does Excel do when you go over the limit for total data point
The maximum number of total data points in a plot is 256,000. However, I have setup plots with > 1.5 million data points. Excel does not complain about this, but I'm guessing it is still only showing 256,000 points. The thing is, I can't figure out which 256,000 it is showing. I don't think it's just the first 256,000 because the data is sorted and it would look abruptly cutoff after the 256,000th point. I'm using a scatterplot if that helps. The plot looks correct, with gradually decreasing density towards the outer edges of the plot. But if it's only ...

Macro to Refresh External data
Good afternoon, I try to record a macro to refresh external data but the macro recorder does not give me anything once I refresh the query and stop the recording. Does anyone knows why? Or better if you know the VBA to make this happen -even when the data sheet is hidden- let me know. Thanks in advance and greetings from south Fla. Apprentice, This is the code the recorder generated when I tried a refresh on a text file import. Range("A1").Select Selection.QueryTable.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False You'd probably change it to something like: Range("A1&quo...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Exchange/Outlook password problem
Hello all, I have a user that changed her logon password, and ever since then, has to re-enter her username and password to get into outlook. At first i thought it was a replication problem, but she can login against all three of our domain controllers with no problems. It's just outlook that asks her to re-authenticate. we're running: windows 2003 server, sp1 on all servers exchange 2003 sp1 clients are windows xp, sp2, outlook 2003 sp1 any ideas? everything worked fine before she changed her password. thanks. Steve "Stephen Corcoran" <sbcorcor@comcast.net>...

Store-only Exchange as a migration solution?
I'm looking for a simple, robust way to set up new SBS servers with Exchange-based mailboxes, but leave the sending and receiving of POP3/SMTP email purely in the hands of the pre-existing PC-based Outlook profiles until later. This means no server-based POP3 connector, third party or otherwise. And no Exchange-based SMTP traffic or routing. The intent is to mimize user impact during the initial SBS implementation. It may seem overly conservative, but we've found that many small businesses already have somewhat complex ISP-based email setups. Trying to re-engineer those at the same...

consolidate data into one workbook
How can i copy data from a free-form worksheet in several workbooks into a single strict table worksheet Hi Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "motq" <motq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73013A23-EA51-47ED-A423-96F53AC214AB@microsoft.com... > How can i copy data from a free-form worksheet in several workbooks into a > single strict table worksheet ...

xml file data source
I would like to run SELECT SQL queries against DataTable's in my DataSet which has been initialized with ReadXml. Has anyone done this? What is the connect string, provider, etc? How? DataSet is a disconnected in memory cache of data. Irrespective of how you populate it, you can always use a DataView or the Select method on DataTable to query it. Look here [1] for examples. Specifically [2] --VV [MS] vascov@microsoft.com [1] http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/ [2] http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/doc/adoplus/FilterData.aspx "Dirk" <d> wrote ...

Restore Exchange 2000 default permissions
is it possible to restore default permissions for the organisation in exchange 2000. At present anyone can open anyone else's mailbox!! Which i can't believe is the default. If there is no way to reset them can someone tell me what the permissions need to be so only the user and the administrators can access the mailboxes. My CEO is less than impressed that anyone can read his mail!! Cheers Minimum Permissions Required for Mailbox Stores and Public Folder Stores http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/StrPermwE2k3/2934133f-e3af-46a5-9369-1ece5843ff58.mspx?mfr...

How do I restore a file?
I accidentally saved a new file with the same name as an existing one, and clicked 'override', forgetting they were in the same location. How do I restore the original file that I accidentally overrode? In another post someone mentioned that I have to us my backup software...how do I do that? The file in question is not saved on my computer, it is saved on my Western Digital external hard drive. Thank you! The original is gone. If you don't have a backup of the original then it is gone permanently. Only you would know what backup procedures you keep to maintain ...

Backing Up Exchange Data
Hi folks, I am looking for advice. I run SBS 2003 with Exchange. I'm running Symantec Backup Exec 12.5, backing up to tape. I just also started running online backups of some of my data, and thought it would be a good idea to do this with my Exchange data. So, I created a schedule task to backup Exchange, and another to copy it to the online backup. However, as soon as Iactivated these scripts, my SBS licenses are being reset to the default 5 each morning. I disabled the scripts last night, and no problems today. I had this problem before with Backup Exec and exclud...