Hi,

Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
that I would need to do in performing this actions?

Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.
0
tankz (5)

you would not be able to use that pub.edb...if you are doing ONLINE backups,
you won't see "files" backed up, just storage groups and/or stores...were
you going to restore the backed up database to your production server, or to
a recovery server?  do you not have DIR configured on the server?  If you
do, you should be able to recover the folder from within Outlook,...

"Kelt" <tankz@myway.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
> Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
> tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
> using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
> from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
> a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
> its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
> pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
> that I would need to do in performing this actions?
>
> Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.

0
susan7353 (1225)
4/26/2004 7:39:37 PM
Recovery Manager for Exchange can access information in your pub.edb file
(http://www.aelita.com/products/recoverymanagerexchange/ ) ... obviously the
ideal scenario is you having all the database & transaction logfile
components and having a consistent store but if you don't Recovery Manager
can make any non-corrupt .edb file mountable even if the transaction
logfiles (or .stm files in case of Exchange 2000/2003) are missing.  The
next version will be announced in early May and will support item-level
recovery from standard backup media (i.e. no brick-level backup software
required) among other sources.

--
David Sengupta M.T.S., B.Sc., MCSE, Exchange MVP, CCA
Ottawa, Canada

Need to understand how Exchange is being used?
http://quest.com/messagestats
Need to diagnose Exchange performance issues or outages?
http://quest.com/spotlight_exchange

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm

Vote for Quest MessageStatsT in the MSD2D People's Choice Awards 2004
http://www.msd2d.com/companyProducts_04.aspx?org=Quest%20Software%20Inc.

"Kelt" <tankz@myway.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
> Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
> tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
> using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
> from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
> a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
> its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
> pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
> that I would need to do in performing this actions?
>
> Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.

0
David
4/27/2004 1:06:23 AM
Why don't you restore the deleted folder from the backup?  I'm using
backup exec 9.1 and I can restore any given folder from the public
store backup.

Thomas

tankz@myway.com (Kelt) wrote in message news:<85388b66.0404261128.41f9883@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
> Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
> tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
> using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
> from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
> a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
> its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
> pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
> that I would need to do in performing this actions?
>
> Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.
0
juste_ciel (29)

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5?
Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5? In short of making a spreadsheet of all MS Security Bulletin and Knowledge Base question I was hoping MS would have a list. Thanks in advance. Steve I use this site http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx Just put your current product and service pack level and it will answer you with the post sp KB's Hope this helps. David "steve" <mis.removethis@johnhcarter.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:6c2501c42ee9$c9bed140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a definitive list of what ...

Exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003
Hi, i currently running exchange Enterprise 2003. Because i don't have exchange 2003 enterprise license but only have exchange 2003 sbs, so recently i need to do migration from exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003. But what i concern about is sbs exchange have limitation with their database. I'm not sure whether is it a possible way to doing this so call "downgrade " migration? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using Attributes with Enums http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/abbb43b9-a667-4930-9588-542844a32d71/using-attri...

Possible to import Exchange on same machine
Scenario : W2K on Exchange Server m/c crashed. Couldn't get to restart. Managed to do a side-by-side install of W2K fine. Could I somehow transfer the Exchange installation from the old W2K installation to the new ? regards How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server name http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];297289 -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

How make 2007 Outlook default with Vista and MSOffice Pro 2003 installed?
My daughter has the Professional version of MS Office 2003 installed and it works fine. But there is 1 exception: Her office (where she works occasionally, mostly be tele-commuting) installed the 2008 version of MSOutlook (only, not all the other programs within MSOffice) and now when she wants to receive mail from that office the Outlook 2007 (or is it 08) wants to be the default. But how does she do that with Vista? She can send and receive all her private mail fine with MSOutlook 2003. Theres something not quite right here. Only a single version of Outlook can be installed. "Rit...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Macro for refresh folder
Hi All, Would like to know how to write a macro in outlook to click on tools -> refresh this folder. Please help. With kind regards Oracleinform ...

Re: Junk mail doesnt filter when rules are enabled
Yes, I am dealing with this problem. I get mail from three pop accounts. I filter ALL my email based on what mail account it comes from and put it into a corresponding folder. Outlook catches ZERO percent of my junk mail because of this.... How can we get outlook junkfilter to work right?? Thanks. A very frustrated Lawrence "Sholom Deen" <sdeen@diamonds.net> wrote in message news:2ad7b851.0311061241.1a580be9@posting.google.com... > I'm having the same problem. Apparently, the junk filters are applied > before any rules, and since in 2003 the filters are not sim...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Since we installed Office 2007, Outlook 2003 no longer runs
Hello, One of our technical people has this problem. On an Xp Sp2 box with Office 2003 he tried to install Office 2007. Since that Outlook 2003 stopped working with this error message : MAPI32.dll is corrupt or incompatible version. Renaming MAPI32.dll and restarting Outlook does not work. When I go into Contral Panel and Click on Mail, I get the message that I need more memory or system resources. Tried uninstall Office 2007 and reinstall and repair office 2003 without any result. We still get the message MAPI32.dll is corrupt or incompatible version. What could I try now? Regards, ...

How to delete system public folder in Exchange?
Hello, does anybody know how to remove the system public folder? My situation is as follow: I have created new offline address list named "Test Offline Address List" for testing purposes. I deleted this list few days after. I expected that public folder "/o=My_Organization/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Test Offline Address List" which is under OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK will have been deleted after public store maintenance. But I was wrong. So I tryied to delete the subfolders "OAB Version 2" and "OAB Version 3a" myself within ESM. Deletion was successful. But I ...

Changing view on multiple folders?
Is it possible to change a view or view settings to multiple folders in one step or do I have to do repeat the steps for each folder? Thanks Malin ...

redirecting OWA to a different IIS server
I'm current running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. On this server we run IIS which also hosts our Intranet Server. I have to move our Intranet on to another IIS Server. Our intranet is the default website for all users. ie www.xxx.com.au. At the end if this web link they enter /exchange and it brings up their OWA. Is it possible to redirect the /exchange from my new IIS server easily back to my original IIS server easily? I recommend that you create a link that redirects to your OWA server. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!&q...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Cannot insert/move/copy tabs
The sheets tab at the bottom of the screen? In excell I have a bunch of spreadsheets where the insert / delete / rename / etc... is greyed out. The File > Properties is also greyed out. I can make changes and save the doc, just not change the sheets -- Dave Sounds like the workbook is protected. Go to Tools on the menubar, then Protection. Unprotect the workbook. James David Allen wrote: > The sheets tab at the bottom of the screen? > In excell I have a bunch of spreadsheets where the insert / delete / rename > / etc... > is greyed out. The File > Properties is ...

Deleting unused folders
A few years ago GFI was configured here such that the filters move spam email into separate spam folders under Inbox, with names such as Bayesian, SPF, Keyword, and Blacklist. This was done initially so that we could get an idea of which filters were catching spam, and which were more likely to get false positives. We are now very tired of having to check all these folders, so we're going to reconfigure them all to move mail to the user's Junk Email folder. My question is this: is there an easy way to delete all of these now unnecessary folders? Or do I need to tell my users th...

Form Copy
When working in -> Associate Money categories with tax form lines -> Form Copy -> field get and error insert a number between 1 and 255 What does this mean and and how do I know what nuber to input ? In microsoft.public.money, Thearn wrote: >When working in -> Associate Money categories with tax form lines -> Form >Copy -> field get and error insert a number between 1 and 255 What does this >mean and and how do I know what nuber to input ? What program are you using? In later versions of Money, you select the TaxForm and then you use a drop-down list for Form...

HTTPMail in Outlook 2003
I have a hotmail account which I had setup using the HTTPMail connector in Outlook. About a week ago, I stopped being able to connect to the account. I get the following message: Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCC19) : 'A timeout occurred while communicating with the server.' What's really odd is that it just seems to be a problem with the one account. I setup another test account on hotmail and a new profile and that one seems to work fine. The error doesn't seem to really be a timeout issue, but rather tied to th...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

dynamic, public IP address problem?
i had problems because my ISP gives me a dhcp assigned IP address, this small, free program solves these problems. http://www.compupointe.com/ipmonitor/ See www.dyndns.org for a solution that works very well. jjd228@NOSPAMoptonline.net wrote: > i had problems because my ISP gives me a dhcp assigned IP address, > this small, free program solves these problems. > http://www.compupointe.com/ipmonitor/ ...

1035 Exchange
What is the recommended method for posting a 1035 exchange? We are combining two existing annuities into one new one. -- Dalco ...

Exchange/Outlook password problem
Hello all, I have a user that changed her logon password, and ever since then, has to re-enter her username and password to get into outlook. At first i thought it was a replication problem, but she can login against all three of our domain controllers with no problems. It's just outlook that asks her to re-authenticate. we're running: windows 2003 server, sp1 on all servers exchange 2003 sp1 clients are windows xp, sp2, outlook 2003 sp1 any ideas? everything worked fine before she changed her password. thanks. Steve "Stephen Corcoran" <sbcorcor@comcast.net>...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...