Hi,

Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
that I would need to do in performing this actions?

Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.
0
tankz (5)

you would not be able to use that pub.edb...if you are doing ONLINE backups,
you won't see "files" backed up, just storage groups and/or stores...were
you going to restore the backed up database to your production server, or to
a recovery server?  do you not have DIR configured on the server?  If you
do, you should be able to recover the folder from within Outlook,...

"Kelt" <tankz@myway.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
> Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
> tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
> using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
> from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
> a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
> its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
> pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
> that I would need to do in performing this actions?
>
> Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.

0
susan7353 (1225)
4/26/2004 7:39:37 PM
Recovery Manager for Exchange can access information in your pub.edb file
(http://www.aelita.com/products/recoverymanagerexchange/ ) ... obviously the
ideal scenario is you having all the database & transaction logfile
components and having a consistent store but if you don't Recovery Manager
can make any non-corrupt .edb file mountable even if the transaction
logfiles (or .stm files in case of Exchange 2000/2003) are missing.  The
next version will be announced in early May and will support item-level
recovery from standard backup media (i.e. no brick-level backup software
required) among other sources.

--
David Sengupta M.T.S., B.Sc., MCSE, Exchange MVP, CCA
Ottawa, Canada

Need to understand how Exchange is being used?
http://quest.com/messagestats
Need to diagnose Exchange performance issues or outages?
http://quest.com/spotlight_exchange

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm

Vote for Quest MessageStatsT in the MSD2D People's Choice Awards 2004
http://www.msd2d.com/companyProducts_04.aspx?org=Quest%20Software%20Inc.

"Kelt" <tankz@myway.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
> Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
> tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
> using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
> from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
> a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
> its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
> pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
> that I would need to do in performing this actions?
>
> Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.

0
David
4/27/2004 1:06:23 AM
Why don't you restore the deleted folder from the backup?  I'm using
backup exec 9.1 and I can restore any given folder from the public
store backup.

Thomas

tankz@myway.com (Kelt) wrote in message news:<85388b66.0404261128.41f9883@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the
> Exchange 2003 server.  When I looked at a backup copy from the backup
> tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder.  I am
> using Backup Exec. 8.6.   Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003
> from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made
> a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with
> its utility.  Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing
> pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders?  If so, what are the steps
> that I would need to do in performing this actions?
>
> Thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.
0
juste_ciel (29)

Disabling exchange mailboxes
Is it possible to disable a user's mailbox without it sending "Undeliverable" messages back to mail senders? > Is it possible to disable a user's mailbox without it > sending "Undeliverable" messages back to mail senders? ==================== I suppose you could just change their password, or disable their account in Active Directory. "Keith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to disable a user's mailbox without it >sending "Undeliverable" messages back to mail senders? Yes. Add the "S...

Problems with public folders #2
I am having two problems which may or may not be related. 1) In System Manager when I try to view or work with the public folder tree, I get the following error "The token supplied to the function is invalid", ID no:80090308. I cannot see any public folders or manage them at all after that. 2) Whenever anyone clicks on send/receive in outlook 2003, they get the following error "Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F):'The operation failed. An object could not be found.'" Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is for either...

I disabled an user, and then re-enable this user later on. But that user cannot access her Outlook Exchange mail box, and...
....when I sent her a test e-mail, I got this kind of bounce back message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 3/29/2005 4:16 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: This Useron 3/29/2005 4:16 PM The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. <mailserver.mycompany.net #5.2.1> Here are the servers info: Domain Controller: Windows Server 2003 Exchange Server:...

Restore
I'm trying to restore my latest money 95 backup, but the file extention on the file is MBF not mny. Does't seem to like that extention (mbf). That extention was automatically assign by Money 95 when I did the backup. Is there anything I can do to restore that file??? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Anton wrote: >I'm trying to restore my latest money 95 backup, but the >file extention on the file is MBF not mny. Does't seem >to like that extention (mbf). That extention was >automatically assign by Money 95 when I did the backup. >Is there anythi...

Outlook 2003 Impact on Archive of OL Foler/email changes
I saw ithe basic answer n a 2007 forum post to this question from Sue Mosher ("If you want the new folder to be archived, just make sure its Properties dialog shows the archiving feature turned on and pointing to the right archive" ....but a few things are still not clear: 1: If I have moved email from another folder to the new folder will this change be reflected in the archive file? 2: On the Default Archive Settings there is a box checked by default called "Delete expired items (email folders only) -- what does this refer to, i.e. what is an expired item ...

Decomissioning first server in site
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00A8_01C431F8.8E43B970 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi migrated our Nt4 SP5, Exch5.5 SP4 server to new hardware installing = Win2k SP3, Exch5.5 SP4. Migrated all the mailboxes using Exmerge and rehomed = all the public folders. After about a month I decided to power down the old server to see what = issues arose before decomissioning it. Within 30mins users were = complaning Outlook was hanging opening attachments and sending emails = the only way i reso...

Restoring an image after repartitioning the image restore drive?
I'm a little confused about this: I save several (different-dated) system images on my backup drive, with a pretty large partition reserved just for storing those system drive (C: ) images (the rest of the space on that drive is still unallocated). Now suppose I increase the size of the partition on the backup drive (which stores those images) to make more room for more of them, and subsequently save a few more backup images. Ok, no problem so far. But now if decide to restore a much earlier image (where the partition size on the backup drive was previously allocated as...

GP 7.5 migrate from server to server
Hi there, We're planning on moving our Great Plains system from one server to another, and I'm trying to find out exactly what is involved. I don't know much about the exact specifics of how GP operates, but I have heard it is a client-only footprint? It's a SQL Server environment, currently running on a SBS 2003 server, and it will be moving to a 2003 Server with SQL Standard. Same domain, etc. Can someone run me through the steps that we would need to go through? Server-side, I would imagine its just a case of detaching and re-attaching the DB? What client settings w...

Automated backup and restore.
Hello! I wonder if there is a way to automate backups for exchange so that they can be done in the background without user intervention? I have experimented with ntbackup, but the command line is different for different versions of exchange. Is there a way so you can use the same procedure with all versions of exchange? I guess one way could be to copy the files, but can this be done while exchange is running? If this is not possible, this would not be an option. Ntbackup also does not support an automated restore. You have to select (as far as I know) some things with the gui first...

401k Loan #5
Hi, any tips on how to record and track a loan from a 401k account? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=2. An oldie but there still is no better support from the application. "Rob Berus" <rob@berusjr.com> wrote in message news:eiETV%23NPIHA.3816@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, any tips on how to record and track a loan from a 401k account? Thanks...that is what I needed. Guess it will be fun to combine this with the mortgage for the upcoming first house purchase. "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in message news:u...

Folder ordering in Outlook
I have a number of mailboxes displayed in my folder list. Before upgrading to Exchange 2003 from Exchange 5.5 they were all diaplayed as mailbox - mailbox name. Now if I add any new ones or remove and re-add any the display is just mailbox name. I cannot rename them because the option is greyed out. This is a pain because the mailboxes were all in the same place on my folder list. Now they can appear anywhere depending on their name. Anybody else have this problem and/or a fix? ...

Exchange Server 2003 not emptying mail boxes on the server
I'm not being allowed to send e-mail because my mail box has exceeded the limits set for this. The problem is that my mail box is 3MB and the limit is 80MB. The place that is more than 80MB is the stuff which is stored (only) on the server and in fact almost all of that 90MB is in the Deleted Items folder. I naturally can't get to this and delete it for the third time ... I informed them of this about 24 hours ago and expected at the latest that this would be automatically cleared overnight. It wasn't. I've chased this morning and still nothing five hours later. a) is this a...

Best book on Outlook 2003 Business tools?
Does anyone have recommendations? ...

Rename Project Server 2003
Hello Is it possible to rename the computer name of a Project Server 2003? Is there any "HowToDo's" from Microsoft? Project Server info: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 Project Server 2003 SP 2a Beste regards Stefan Are you using Sharepoint too? Is SQL Server on Same Machine too? -- Please rate this post if it has helped Thanks Gaurav Wason gwason@gmail.com, PMP, MCITP roject Made Easy (Project Server Archive Tool) and (Project Owner Tool) http://projectmadeeasy.com "Stefan Mitterbuchner" wrote: > Hello > > Is it possible...

Synchronising public folder to personal folders
Is there a built in function to do this or any code that can be written? I have tried a number of 3rd party products and all seem a bit "rubbish". Thank you. Richard On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:50:23 -0000, "Richard Edwards" <do.not.use@do.not.use.com> wrote: >Is there a built in function to do this or any code that can be written? > >I have tried a number of 3rd party products and all seem a bit "rubbish". > >Thank you. > >Richard > www.diditbetter.com would do you a solution for this and isn't rubbish. Hi Richard, > Is...

win2003 & exchange 2003 mail problem
Hi I just had some problems with my server, so my disks are all destroyed. So, I`ve installed win 2003 server enterprise and exchange 2003. Everything goes smooth but i cant get the mail to work. Even when i go into AD and add a user, i cant get the folder where i shall insert the mail specs either. It must be something i`ve forgot. Also when i go into system manager and rightclick on the upper line, and chose internet mail wizard, that is not working either. Could someone please help me? Or if someone knows of any good sites\guides to install exch. 2003 properly. thanks regards Asle Pett...

Cannot read outlook 2003 inbox using webmail
As stated in the subject line, I cannot access my inbox when using webmail.. When I login, I can read all folders EXCEPT the inbox. Whe I select my mail inbox I get the message: "There are no items to show in this view". Can you please enlighten me as to what is set wrong within my version of MS Outlook 2003? Thank you Barry Cole ...

Copying folders from one identity to another

contact attachment being stipped by exchange, how to verify
My first post. I have a problem with a client site sending Outlook contacts as attachments. When the reciepient get the email the attachment's contact info. is gone and only plain text of the contact name appears in the attachment. Testing within the local network sends the contact attachment correctly. Sending outside the network stips down the contact attachment. I use the message tracking system to find the size of the email as it left the senders site (size = 5263) and compared the size of the message when recieved at the reciepient site (size = 1808). Now the boss wants t...

Excel 2003 Filter Problem
I recently upgraded to Excel 2003 and am having a problem with filtering. Occasionally (and I don't know what I'm doing that causes it!) when I apply a filter, it "freezes" the worksheet and I'm unable to filter on other columns or even to remove the filter. I'd appreciate any help or ideas! Have you been screwing around cleaning up workbook/worksheet names? Do you see the arrows, but when you click on them, they don't do anything? If yes, maybe this will fix the problem. Select your cells with the arrows -- just the header row is enough. Then Insert|nam...

Junk Mail Glitch in Outlook 2003
If you EVER (intentionally or accidentally) label a sender as Junk Mail, nothing seems to work to fix it. I have tried the following: Adding sender to Safe Sender; editing Junk Mail list to remove the email address; remove the email address from Blocked Senders; marking email from the sender (once retrieved from the Junk Mail folder) as Mark as Not Junk. I have removed the email address and re-entered it. I have written a rule to allow email from that email address. NONE of it works. Once listed as Junk Mail, it cannot be redirected as an acceptable, allowable sender. It wi...

owa--public folders
Hello All, I have setup a pf to share contacts on an exchg 2003 server...works great. Is there a way to also share this contacts folder in Outlook Web Access? Appreciate any feedback. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Hello All, > > I have setup a pf to share contacts on an exchg 2003 > server...works great. Is there a way to also share this > contacts folder in Outlook Web Access? It should be visible/usable there already, under Public Folders. > > Appreciate any feedback. The public contacts list is there however we are unable to do a search and fin...

how do I get outlook 2003 to show me mail from my yahoo acct?
I have tried the trouble shooting, but I still cannot get my outlook 2003 to show me my email from my yahoo acct. Please help..... Thank you Outlook version? Paid Yahoo! account? What happens when you follow the = directions Yahoo! posted? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, fallen_angel asked: | I have tried the trouble shooting, but I still cannot get my outlook | 2003 to show me my email from my yahoo acct. ...

Help needed with Outlook 2003
I can send messages to hotmail accounts and to a few (very few) people, but most never receive my emails. I have tried disabling norton but that doesn't seem to help. When sending to hotmail acounts they get the messages within 30 seconds, but messages sent to people outside hotmail will NEVER get them. I have 'send immediately' checked and it says it is sending, but it never goes anywhere. I am using Outlook 2003 with XP sp1. I also have Norton Internet Security with Norton Antivirus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Do they arrive when you use the webba...

database restore
How can I simply do a database restore from a backup (.bck file) in RMS Admin? -- Scott This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_051A_01C70A48.42C79E50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Scott, Database | delete (be real sure you really want to do this) | select the = existing that you want to restore | Database | Restore | name it as the = old one | Next | point to your backup .bck file by clicking on the = magnifying glass --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...