Restore Exchange...help!!!!

My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions
labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How
important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the
restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!)

Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I
need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other
data being restored?

Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup?
I think that may be a few days older than the information store and logs
backup!!

Am I doomed to fail? Please advise!!!!!!! I have tried to make sense of MS
article on Exchange recovery but very confusing (newbie)!
0
Fabrussio (17)

the labels don't matter.

if you don't have a proper online backup of Exchange, you could be in for a
long slog.

Spend the money and place a call to Microsoft Product Support Services and
get them to help you with the recovery.

Andy

"Fabrussio" <Fabrussio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions
> labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How
> important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the
> restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!)
>
> Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do
> need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other
> data being restored?
>
> Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from
> backup?
> I think that may be a few days older than the information store and logs
> backup!!
>
> Am I doomed to fail? Please advise!!!!!!! I have tried to make sense of MS
> article on Exchange recovery but very confusing (newbie)!

0
awebb7472 (650)

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5?
Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5? In short of making a spreadsheet of all MS Security Bulletin and Knowledge Base question I was hoping MS would have a list. Thanks in advance. Steve I use this site http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx Just put your current product and service pack level and it will answer you with the post sp KB's Hope this helps. David "steve" <mis.removethis@johnhcarter.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:6c2501c42ee9$c9bed140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a definitive list of what ...

Exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003
Hi, i currently running exchange Enterprise 2003. Because i don't have exchange 2003 enterprise license but only have exchange 2003 sbs, so recently i need to do migration from exchange enterprise 2003 to exchange sbs 2003. But what i concern about is sbs exchange have limitation with their database. I'm not sure whether is it a possible way to doing this so call "downgrade " migration? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using Attributes with Enums http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/abbb43b9-a667-4930-9588-542844a32d71/using-attri...

Exchange 5.5 #24
Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please advise >-----Original Message----- >Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please >advise >. > Since you said a few domains, do you have reverse dns for your mail server? Some mail server refuse mails if it is not set. Or maybe their mail server is temporary unavailable, could you check their MX record and test the connection manually ? With regards, Stefan I tried to send an email to this address alimento.augusto@libero.it and it came back with this error message "Unable to deliver the message d...

Possible to import Exchange on same machine
Scenario : W2K on Exchange Server m/c crashed. Couldn't get to restart. Managed to do a side-by-side install of W2K fine. Could I somehow transfer the Exchange installation from the old W2K installation to the new ? regards How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server name http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];297289 -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

Multiply two colums; BASIC help needed
I am absolutely new to Excel and am having trouble interpreting the Help screens. I am learning by trial-and-error and need the most rudimentary help. For example: Given a worksheet with 5 numbers in Col. A and 5 numbers in Col. B ... how do I print in Col. C1 through C5 a1*b1, a2*b2, a3*b3, a4*b4, a5*b5? 1) In what box(es) do I enter the formula? -- Do I have to insert an*bn in all 5 cells in Col.C? 2) After I enter the formula, what key do I click to start the operation? Thanks. -- wdc202 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wdc202's Profile: ...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Move Exchange 2k3 to new HW
I have an Exchange 2k3 Server running on a Windows 2k3 OS, and Cisco Unity. The server is out of warranty and we are having HW problems, so I want to move this to another server. I've seen several processes listed for moving from 2000 to 2003 but I haven't notices anything specifically for moving 2003 to another server. I assume the process is still the same. What is the best/prefered method for moving to the new server? Thanks CharlesW Charles- Are you retaining the same name? That's by far the easiest option. If so, get the new box built to the point that you're joi...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Clustering/Load Balancing on Exchange 2003?
Our Exchaneg 2003 server failed this morning, so we were wondering about failover. With Clustering would it mean one of the 2 Exchange 2003 servers would not be used until the other server went down? ....and load balancing is simply that? What if one server went down? Are the DB's synch'd You're right about clustering - Exchange Server 2003 does have support for Active/Active clustering, if you do want to go that (not MS-recommended) route. Exchange Server 2007 gets rid of A/A and introduces a new clustering model that does not depend on shared storage and replicates ...

What is more important on Exchange
Okay, I've been asked to setup an Exchange Server 2003 and I was wondering in what order from most important to least important do you put the hardware? Example, 1. Processor 2. Memory 3. Hard Drive space. So would it be more important to have 1gig memory with 2 duel 3.2ghz xeon processors with 3 73scsi drives in Raid 5 or Pentium D Processor 830 @ 3.2ghz duel core, with 4 hard drives at 250gig in Raid 5 with 2gigs of ram? I think that actually that would depend on some things...How many users? how much email are they going to be keeping? how active are they in email? What are thei...

1035 Exchange
What is the recommended method for posting a 1035 exchange? We are combining two existing annuities into one new one. -- Dalco ...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Exchange/Outlook password problem
Hello all, I have a user that changed her logon password, and ever since then, has to re-enter her username and password to get into outlook. At first i thought it was a replication problem, but she can login against all three of our domain controllers with no problems. It's just outlook that asks her to re-authenticate. we're running: windows 2003 server, sp1 on all servers exchange 2003 sp1 clients are windows xp, sp2, outlook 2003 sp1 any ideas? everything worked fine before she changed her password. thanks. Steve "Stephen Corcoran" <sbcorcor@comcast.net>...

Store-only Exchange as a migration solution?
I'm looking for a simple, robust way to set up new SBS servers with Exchange-based mailboxes, but leave the sending and receiving of POP3/SMTP email purely in the hands of the pre-existing PC-based Outlook profiles until later. This means no server-based POP3 connector, third party or otherwise. And no Exchange-based SMTP traffic or routing. The intent is to mimize user impact during the initial SBS implementation. It may seem overly conservative, but we've found that many small businesses already have somewhat complex ISP-based email setups. Trying to re-engineer those at the same...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

POLE DISPLAY...plz help
I know I have posted like crazy on this pole display..I think this will be the first one to see if it can fly..lol anyways...I have installed the drivers for it...its recognized....I did a health check and it says its using com1...and something else is using same port..how do I check to see whats usiong same ports..I havent done that in forever.... when u look at the pole display it shows symbols and weird characters.... also when I am finally done configuring this ...all I have to do is start putting inventory into database ..right....and the back office machine is going to have a wir...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

Using If with SumProduct help please!
I have a formula that gives me the average sales price for properties that fall within a certain value. I would like to break it down further by designating these same averages by state rather than just overall. Here is my existing formula: =(SUMPRODUCT(--($E$2:$E$495>50000),--($E$2:$E$495<75001),$D$2:$D$495)/SUMPRODUCT(--($E$2:$E$495>50000),--($E$2:$E$495<75001))) I would like to add state criteria to this, such as all properties in CA. How can I accomplish this? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!!! Thanks Suzanne Hi I assume that you have state...

IM for Exchange 2003
Hi, Is there a free instant messaging solution for Exchange 2003 environment? This is for intranet usage only. TIA, Vakharia On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:45:35 +0530, "Vakharia" <vak@()hotmail.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, >Is there a free instant messaging solution for Exchange 2003 environment? >This is for intranet usage only. > No. Live Communication Server is the Microsoft solution for this. http://www.microsoft.com/office/livecomm/prodinfo/default.mspx >TIA, >Vakharia > Yes... but can one install LC Server on a system that is also running exchange? I on...

Restore Exchange 2000 default permissions
is it possible to restore default permissions for the organisation in exchange 2000. At present anyone can open anyone else's mailbox!! Which i can't believe is the default. If there is no way to reset them can someone tell me what the permissions need to be so only the user and the administrators can access the mailboxes. My CEO is less than impressed that anyone can read his mail!! Cheers Minimum Permissions Required for Mailbox Stores and Public Folder Stores http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/StrPermwE2k3/2934133f-e3af-46a5-9369-1ece5843ff58.mspx?mfr...

How do I restore a file?
I accidentally saved a new file with the same name as an existing one, and clicked 'override', forgetting they were in the same location. How do I restore the original file that I accidentally overrode? In another post someone mentioned that I have to us my backup software...how do I do that? The file in question is not saved on my computer, it is saved on my Western Digital external hard drive. Thank you! The original is gone. If you don't have a backup of the original then it is gone permanently. Only you would know what backup procedures you keep to maintain ...

Exchange Server 2007 Beta 2 as backup...?
I have an existing Exchange Server 2003 SP2 installation, just a single machine, and I was wondering if I could take a 2nd machine at a remote location, and set it up as a backup mail server to our existing domain? Not looking at it as an "identical" server to the existing one, or a failover machine really, but a 2nd point for receiving mail in case the other one went down. And remaining in the same AD so people could go to OWA on it in the event the other went down. Definitely replicating the e-mail between the servers though. -Ed You can certainly do that - however, to ...