Reposting because this IMF question is really bugging me

I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003 server
where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I opted to
have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using the IMF
Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in there
that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this email. My
questions are what happens to this email after I unblock it. Does it get
forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a lower SCL value to allow it
to pass next time. Thanks.

0
ajmiyake (74)

I believe that the sender is added to the white list and mail is trusted
from the sender.

"Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003 server
> where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I opted
> have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using the
> IMF
> Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in
> there
> that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this email. My
> questions are what happens to this email after I unblock it. Does it get
> forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a lower SCL value to allow
> it
> to pass next time. Thanks.

0
ewoodrick (190)
4/7/2005 5:57:55 PM
No, when you unblock the message it simply puts it in the SMTP pickup
directory, which is considered a "local" delivery source, so the SCL isn't
re-evaluated.

It's a one time thing.  If you want an ongoing gateway level whitelist, then
look at something like Sirana SpamCenter.

"Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003 server
> where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I opted
> have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using the
> IMF
> Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in
> there
> that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this email. My
> questions are what happens to this email after I unblock it. Does it get
> forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a lower SCL value to allow
> it
> to pass next time. Thanks.

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/7/2005 6:02:08 PM
Thanks for the input Ed. That is what I am hoping will happen but just want
confirmation. I guess I'll run my own tests here and see what happens to
that email. Thanks again.

"Ed Woodrick" <ewoodrick@ed-nospam-com.com> wrote in message
>I believe that the sender is added to the white list and mail is trusted
>from the sender.
>

> "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003 server
>> where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I opted
>> have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using the
>> IMF
>> Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in
>> there
>> that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this email.
>> My
>> questions are what happens to this email after I unblock it. Does it get
>> forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a lower SCL value to allow
>> it
>> to pass next time. Thanks.

0
ajmiyake (74)
4/7/2005 6:02:18 PM
Thanks Andy. So let me ask you this then. I just sent myself and email that
I knew would get caught by IMF. I double checked and it surely did. I then
sent myself a normal email and it came through. So according to that test if
I get an email that gets blocked and is considered SPAM then IMF does not
tag the sender of the email as UCE and will allow this sender to continue to
send "legitimate" email.

"Andy Webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
> No, when you unblock the message it simply puts it in the SMTP pickup
> directory, which is considered a "local" delivery source, so the SCL isn't
> re-evaluated.
>
> It's a one time thing.  If you want an ongoing gateway level whitelist,
> then look at something like Sirana SpamCenter.
>

> "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003 server
>> where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I opted
>> have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using the
>> IMF
>> Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in
>> there
>> that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this email.
>> My
>> questions are what happens to this email after I unblock it. Does it get
>> forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a lower SCL value to allow
>> it
>> to pass next time. Thanks.

0
ajmiyake (74)
4/7/2005 6:17:54 PM
Hey Ben. I'm familiar with you here in this NG as being the Exchange MVP
"guru" and was wondering if you could provide some useful input to my
questions posted here.

"Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003 server
> where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I opted
> have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using the
> IMF
> Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in
> there
> that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this email. My
> questions are what happens to this email after I unblock it. Does it get
> forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a lower SCL value to allow
> it
> to pass next time. Thanks.

0
ajmiyake (74)
4/7/2005 11:02:00 PM

> Hey Ben. I'm familiar with you here in this NG as being the Exchange
> MVP "guru" and was wondering if you could provide some useful input to
> my questions posted here.
>

> "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003
>>server
>> where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I
>> opted to
>> have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using
>> the IMF
>> Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in
>> there
>> that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this
>> email. My questions are what happens to this email after I unblock
>> it. Does it get forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a
>> lower SCL value to allow it
>> to pass next time. Thanks.

 When you unblock the email this is done on a client side (Outlook)
basis. If the IMF is set to pass along mail that is below a specific SCL
value, and that particular sender send another message, IMF will pass it
along to the client (assuming it is below the SCL threshold), then
Outlook's filter will pick up that you trust the sender and deliver the
message to your inbox.

--
Steve Antonio, MCSE/MCSA
Microsoft Exchange Support

rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified
at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
originated.
0
steveant (150)
4/8/2005 4:10:40 AM
Correct.  IMF doesn't know anything about the sender.  It looks at content
and headers.

If you want to restrict a particular sender, you can do that through ESM.

> Thanks Andy. So let me ask you this then. I just sent myself and email
> that I knew would get caught by IMF. I double checked and it surely did. I
> then sent myself a normal email and it came through. So according to that
> test if I get an email that gets blocked and is considered SPAM then IMF
> does not tag the sender of the email as UCE and will allow this sender to
> continue to send "legitimate" email.
>
> "Andy Webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
>> No, when you unblock the message it simply puts it in the SMTP pickup
>> directory, which is considered a "local" delivery source, so the SCL
>> isn't re-evaluated.
>>
>> It's a one time thing.  If you want an ongoing gateway level whitelist,
>> then look at something like Sirana SpamCenter.
>>

>> "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Exchange 2003 and have implemented IMF on my SBS 2003 server
>>> where Exchange and the SMTP gateway resides. Everything looks ok. I
>>> opted to
>>> have my suspected SPAM archieved to the archieve folder. When using the
>>> IMF
>>> Companion and viewing these suspected SPAM emails I've noticed one in
>>> there
>>> that I do not consider SPAM. I used the option to "unblock" this email.
>>> My
>>> questions are what happens to this email after I unblock it. Does it get
>>> forwarded to the addressee and does IMF assign a lower SCL value to
>>> allow it
>>> to pass next time. Thanks.

0
awebb7472 (650)

2 questions re:Rollup 2 installation
I've seen a couple of comments regarding my first question, but I'm looking for confirmation: 1. After installing the server portion of Rollup 2, do all client PCs have to be updated before they attempt to use CRM? Or can I update the most important ones first, then get to the rest ASAP? 2. Does the client portion of Rollup 2 have to be installed while logged in as the end-user? Thanks for any guidance! Ryk McDorman #1 upgrading the client is optional but recommended. #2 installing the rollup update 2 on the client only requires to close the Outlook. "Ryk" <Ryk@...

Question about Call Tracking design of form
Hi, I am working on a call tracking module. I’ve seen Microsoft’s temp and it does not help. I have the following tables: tblCustomer 1 record per customer Key: CustAcctNo Flds: Name Address, etc. tblCall 1 record per customer per call “subject’. May take multiple actual calls to resolve issue. Multiple calls per customer. Key: CallNo Flds: CustAcctNo CallOpenDt CallPurpose CallCloseDt - If field is null, call is open, otherwise it is closed...

Junk Mail Question
OL2007 offers an option to mark a 'Sender's Domain to the Safe Senders List' in the Junk-Mail tools. How does one mark a domain to the baddies list for permanent dispatch to hell? With spammers frequently using fraud prefixes but often the same domain, I would imagine that it is essential to be able to blacklist a domain. Does OL2007 not offer that? You should be able to add a whole domain here in Outlook: Actions menu > Junk E-mail > Junk Email options > Blocked Senders tab "ClueLess" <ganz@schrott.com> wrote in message news:O3QYHcqnIHA.1052@TK2...

repost; Automatically updating formulae in multiple sheets
I list sales of 20+ products each week for the year A2-A23 are the products and B-BA are the colums for each week I have multiple sheets that have the same sales results in the same format foreach previous year 2004;2003;2002;2001;2000 Each week I want to compare total sales in the year to date i.e weeks 1-20 with weeks 1-20 in each previous year. so next week it will be 1-21. I have on each sheet a cumulative total for each of the 20 products in the year to date i.e Cell A25=SUMB2:BA2 and Cell A26=SUMB3:BA3 and so on for each product. This means each week I have to alter the formula in C...

Question about an error
I'm getting the following error in a field: #Name? What am I doing that's causing this error? The Help contains the following: #Error? or #Name? may appear in a control for a number of reasons. To correct the problem, do the following: � Make sure that the field specified in the control's ControlSource property hasn't been removed from the underlying table, query, or SQL statement. � Check the spelling of the field name in the control's ControlSource property. � If you specified an expression in the control's ControlSource property, make sure that there is an e...

Money 2006 Question
Hi all, My brother wants to use Money 2006 that came with his new pc, but he says that it's necessary to open a MS Passport account just in order to use Mny 2006! He is one that likes to use fake bank names & such in order to protect his files, and he says that looks to be impossibe in Mny 2006. Any thoughts about this? Regards Rusty Fender wrote: > Hi all, > > My brother wants to use Money 2006 that came with his new pc, but he says > that it's necessary to open a MS Passport account just in order to use Mny > 2006! > > He is one that likes to u...

Hyperlink question
Surely Access has a way to detect if a file actually exists without having to open each hyperlink. I'm using a continuous form and have a hyperlink to a file for each record. It'd be real convenient to indicate on the form whether or not the file is actually there. Is that possible to do? Thanks -- AusTexRich If you're trying to determine whether or not a given file exists, you can use If Len(Dir(FullpathToFile)) > 0 Then ' File exists Else ' File doesn't exist End If -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) &q...

Repost
I sent his message earlier but have not been able to view it from here so I apologize if it has already been answered. I had heard that the refresh was released sometime last week but have received no notification from MS about it. When will I know? Will MS send an email to everyone that purchased the Beta 2 Kit? I have clicked "Check for Updates" but there is no information there. All I get is "All your office products are up to date". Thanks for reading. Hi Robin, I have the following URL to view, nothing more. http://officebeta.microsoft.com/home/default.aspx I rea...

Had to repost it!!!
Query: Say i have multiple sheets dated 04/01/10 to 04/30/10, each contain names, say A, B, C, D, etc... but these name does not appear in the same order in each sheet. Now data is in time format in front of A, B, C, D, etc. Eg. in sheet 04/01/10 A1 B1 A 1:00:00 D 1:53:00 C 2:45:00 like this data in other sheet till 04/30/10. Now in a new sheet i want this data to be collated in time format in front of the individual sorted in Alphabetical order. Also it should give me the Sum of the data. Is it possible and how? Thanks in advance for the help!...

Spam question #2
I recently have been receiving email to my Outlook Express account that are addressed to another account. For example, I have only one account, i.e.., abcd@earthlink.net set up in Outlook Express. However I receive email addressed to lorna@earthlink.net and numerous other emails with similar earthlink addresses. This just started last week and my IP has no clue. Is this a problem with how I have my Outlook Express set up??? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these n...

Wav File Question for PPS files
I have FINALLY read and digested all the wonderful help about only embedded wav files being able to be emailed.......and have suceeded in being able to do so ....THANKS Trouble here is I have only 2 wav files that are music (not one line jokes, etc.) and am time pressed on finding a good one for a xmas PPS I'd like to send to family. Is there a source online where one can SAFELY download wav files. I've encountered lots of invalid sites out there trying? Looking for something Christmas and sentimental for a family slide show....... Grateful for any help...... THA...

outlook 2007 question #4
Using Office Professional 2007 on my windows XP Pro SP3 Outlook 2007 will not restart If I am running outlook and then exit out of outlook I will try to start outlook again and it will fail It says the file ???.pst is in use you may need to restart your computer. What taks is still running when you close outlook? if I can kill that process then the file will be released and Outlook should restart. I should not have to restart my pc just to get outlook to start. Any ideas or suggestions Thanks Tom Kill the outlook.exe running task then. Also, ensure that none of the following ar...

Dumb question about Nero
I've looked at Nero's site and can't tell what Nero Lite is supposed to do that Nero doesn't. I've purchased the latter. Should I also install Lite? -- Robin (BrE) Herts, England Robin Bignall wrote: > I've looked at Nero's site and can't tell what Nero Lite is supposed > to do that Nero doesn't. I've purchased the latter. Should I also > install Lite? Welcome to the newsgroup intended for assistance with the "Help and Support" feature in the "Windows XP" operating system - although sometimes it is mi...

IMF safe senders list.
Hi, I installed IMF on an Exchange 2003 server last week. I have several good email messages that are being flagged as spam. I have tried changing the SCL value but they are still blocked. Is there a way to add these safe senders to a list on the server? I know that I can add to the safe senders list in Outlook but this is not practical to do on all desktops. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Neal... ...

SQL image question (journals)
I'm selling books using the description field for my titles. 30 characters is way too short for this, so I changed the field to varchar255. When I tender sales with descriptions longer than 30 characters, I get a run time error. I've tracked it down to the ReceiptCompressed field in the jounals table. RMS is sending information to the databased in a compressed image format for the journal. Has someone found a way to limit the amount of text passed to the journal? Thanks, Jonathan jonathan@book-m.com It's not a good idea to change the database tables that way. You shoul...

verify portion of full IS backup using ntbackup question
windows 2000 Server sp4, exchange 2000 sp3 I noticed in the ntbackup log file that the backup of the Information Store backs up up 4 directories and a varying number of files (I assume the variable number of files here is due to log files), but in the verify section of the log file, where all other regular file backup sessions show the number of files backed up and then '0' for 'different' to indicate verified, the verification section for the Information Store shows '0' for files backed up and the expected '0' for 'different'? I checked this run...

question about countif
Hi I want to count the number of "a" in column "B" which is easy (countif(b4:b50,"a") but I also want to see what the count is when column "A" is taken in to the equation. In column A is the date. So I want a count the Number of "a" in column B where the date in column A is in the last 12 months/365 days? Thanks Jon This may work for you: =sumproduct(--(a4:a50>=date(year(today())-1,month(today()),day(today()))), --(b4:b50="A")) Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns (except in xl200...

Question about PSTs
I had made some backups of my Contacts and Inbox folders (separately) in the form of PSTs in Nov 2003. I'm now trying to use those PSTs to recover my address book. However, as I try to import these PSTs into my freshly flattened and rebuilt PC, I get the message that the PST file is not a valid Personal Folder file. I'm getting the error with both my Inbox as well as my Contacts PSTs Has anyone encountered such a thing before? Is there any fix to this? Thanks in advance, Sanjay Puri Recovered them from a CD? Then copy them to your harddisk first and remove the "Read O...

Repost
My question may have something to do with this. I have 6 email accounts set up in Outlook 2003 (as I did in Outlook 2002). Only one (pop) is set to automatically send and receive, but Hotmail (only one http) sends and receives ANYWAY, even though in mail settings, there is a clear "red X" on Hotmail. I guess the beauty of 2003 is that the ongoing problem I had with 2003 on two computers with mulitple Outlooks running seems to be gone. ...

Removing items from worksheet by account number question
I need to remove everything that is related to one account number and so on for other account numbers is there a way to do this or a way to highlight them... Thank you. You need to tell us how the data is set out -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "LiveUser" <LiveUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35F1A01E-6859-4E14-A44D-88754251DB5B@microsoft.com... >I need to remove everything that is related to one account number and so on > for other account numbers is there a way to do this or a way t...

IMF works great
Hello I just installed the IMF on our exchange 2003 server. And it works like a champ! One strange thing I wanted to mention though, I'm using outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) not OL 2003 as needed according to documentation and yet the rated mails are sent to the junk e-mail folder. Do I have a special version (SP) without knowing it ? Regards Rudy Steyaert IMF is server-based, so if the user has enabled junk filtering from OWA it will filter regardless of the client that connects. The key is that it needs to be enabled on the mailbox, and the only way is with OWA 2003 or Outloo...

Outlook tasks and Exchange question
At work I connect to an Exchange server. Basically we use the tasks feature to keep track of jobs that we're working on. I want to know if it's possible client side to change the font that I see when I read each task. I'd like to see only Verdana size 9 if it's at all possible. Is there anyway to do this client side as opposed to having it set through Exchange? -- Nocturnal @ http://www.randomfix.com ...

Excel Question 11-12-09
Can someone help a newB about how to copy a cell (which contains a count formula) to another worksheet. I need it to just copy the # so it can go into a worksheet that is totaling order #'s? 1) Copy the cell with the formula in it showing the value you want 2) Switch to the other sheet and select the target cell (do not press ENTER on it) 3) Click on EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL > Values That should paste in just the value of the formula, not the formula itself. Does that help? -- "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB (www.MadRocketScientist.com) Your...

REPOST:
I am able to post to newsgroups, but when I tried to Reply Group to a message I posted (replying to myself) I got a dialog box with three buttons, a check box, and an "I" icon. There is, however, no text in the dialog box, on the checkbox or on the buttons! Clicking any (or all) of the buttons has no apparent affect. The dialog only goes away if I click the "X" in the corner and it never sends my reply. I am using the newsreader built in to Outlook. -Will T You're using Outlook Express, accessed from Outlook. I think it's the initial warning that what you ar...

Remote Server Question
Right customer wants to acces his win2k8 server remotely. IT is using a generic printer from the server. At the office the printer is on a network. Terminal Services are being used to access the server remotely. What needs to be done to get said printer working? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee UK Time for a Common Sense change vote Liberal Democrat / Alliance Whether "at the o...