Renaming user account and accessing old account named mail

Using W2K3 server and Exchange 2K3. I need to rename a users account.

First I'd like to know the proper way to do it. Is right clicking and
choosing rename the most appropriate and will it change the name in all the
necessary places (display, etc). Or should I go to properties and modify the
name on the general tab, the modify the name on the Exchange General tab and
then on the account tab?

Second, once the account has been renamed, where will the e-mail from the
prevous account be? Will it show up in the inbox of the new account?
0
CindyB (1)

Understand - all you are doing in essence is changing the display of several
attributes of the user account.  You are not changing the SID associated
with the account.  Using the rename function should rename all relevant
properties.  When the mailbox is opened, it should then reflect the new name
as well.  Since you aren't creating a "new" account, rather renaming it, all
the old mail will still be present in the same mailbox (now renamed).

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"CindyB" <CindyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using W2K3 server and Exchange 2K3. I need to rename a users account.
>
> First I'd like to know the proper way to do it. Is right clicking and
> choosing rename the most appropriate and will it change the name in all
> the
> necessary places (display, etc). Or should I go to properties and modify
> the
> name on the general tab, the modify the name on the Exchange General tab
> and
> then on the account tab?
>
> Second, once the account has been renamed, where will the e-mail from the
> prevous account be? Will it show up in the inbox of the new account?

0
Ben
8/23/2005 9:05:46 PM
Right-clicking it and choosing Rename changes only the common name (cn)
attribute.  The display name, SAM account name, user principal name, first
name, last name, e-mail address, and so on are all separate attributes and
are modified in other places, generally properties fields.  As Ben told you,
renaming an account doesn't change anything about an associated mailbox.
Renaming is not a delete and create operation.

As to the correct method, it depends on what it is you actually want to
change.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"CindyB" <CindyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using W2K3 server and Exchange 2K3. I need to rename a users account.
>
> First I'd like to know the proper way to do it. Is right clicking and
> choosing rename the most appropriate and will it change the name in all
> the
> necessary places (display, etc). Or should I go to properties and modify
> the
> name on the general tab, the modify the name on the Exchange General tab
> and
> then on the account tab?
>
> Second, once the account has been renamed, where will the e-mail from the
> prevous account be? Will it show up in the inbox of the new account?

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Opening other users mailbox
We have a common mailbox that several users are supposed to access, but on some computers/users the "open other users folder" option is greyed out. Where can this be changed? Do they have appropriate permissions? Best practice is to assign permissions once to a security group and simply make anyone needing permissions a member of that group. The specific permissions required: 1) Send As 2) Receive As 3) Full Mailbox Access. Check this URL for a good explanation: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/WorkingE2k3Store/e67725bb-8792-4bac-82aa-429fb6ecd8d9.m...

restriction for remote web user/remote desktop user
Is there any settings on SBS03 that allows us to manage which user/computer/ip address can connect to SBS03 network from remote site, as we would like only certain users from certain computers be able to connect on certain time remotely. If it can not be done then what would be the solution. Thank you. Jack2 wrote: >Is there any settings on SBS03 that allows us to manage which >user/computer/ip address can connect to SBS03 network from remote site, as >we >would like only certain users from certain computers be able to connect on >certain time remotely. If it ...

select user from ....
Help please. In an Oracle database I can identify the current user with the statement "SELECT USER FROM DUAL;" Can I do something similar in MS Access? "William" <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F99ABE3-B160-4412-B035-EC54AF8EE367@microsoft.com... > Help please. In an Oracle database I can identify the current user with > the > statement "SELECT USER FROM DUAL;" Can I do something similar in MS > Access? The VBA function CurrentUser() returns the name of the user logged into the database. (Note that ...

how to block POP access for certain users?
hi, i want to block certain users from accessing the exchange 2003 server through POP3. i saw it could be done through IP address but i dont want that, i just want it to be based on user ID. is there any way i can do that ? thanks, akhlaq khan. Set access in AD under Exchange Advanced - Protocol settings "Akhlaq Khan" <akhlaq.khan@pk.softechww.com> wrote in message news:eVXGfmsCFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > hi, > i want to block certain users from accessing the exchange 2003 server > through POP3. > i saw it could be done through IP address but i dont wan...

can only see local machine users when trying to add users allowed for remote desktop access
Hi, I have a windows 2003 server on my network(its actually a virtual machine running on windows server 2008), that I have enabled remote access to (via properties of 'My Pc/Remote') In the permission of the remote user tab, I can not find any domain users, if I try to change location it only allows me to see the local machine, and if i enter manually the domain\user name it always rejects it. I can see the entire network when I browse the network from file explorer and I can access shares on remotes machines with no problem, so I am on the network and authenticat...

Event sink registration for SMTP virtual server failed. (80070005 (Access is denied.) )
My setup: Windows 2003 AD (2 domain controllers) Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 server (I'll call it main-server.domain.com) Exchange 5.5 on a Windows 2000 server (used to have all the mailboxes, but they have been moved to main-server.domain.com) Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2000 server (call it front-end.domain.com) The front end server is getting the error messages in the event log every 3 minutes: "Event sink registration for SMTP virtual server /LM/SMTPSVC/1 failed. Error code is 80070005 (Access is denied.). " I am using a firewall, and the front end server is in a DMZ, op...

Rename Server
I was would like to know if it is possible to rename a server on which Exchange 2000 has been install onto, would this have an effect on exchange wayne The Exchange services won't start after a server rename. Build a new server with the new name and move the mailboxes to it. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ "WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message news:u5TGyDCpGHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I was would like to know if it is possible to rename a server on which >Exchange 2000 has been install onto, would this have ...

Mail Enabled Users vs. Mail enabled contacts......
I am needing to create a distribution group in our GAL of external people for my AD users to email. What is the difference between Mail Enabled users vs Mail enabled contacts. I am not sure which one to use? HELP For external users, you need to create mail-enabled Contacts. Contacts exist only so they can show up in the Address Book/GAL (they can be hidden, though... ) and everyone in the Org can email them. Mail-enabled users are users that have mail residing on an external system - they are security principals and can log-on to the Domain - Contacts can't. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE...

Cant add user mailboxes anymore
Hi Im having huge trouble with our Exchange 2003 SP1. In ADUC i cant access the mailbox rights button anymore. Also, i cant add or create a user mailbox with the Exchange Task Wizard in the ADUC, when i create a new user account and check the "create exchange mailbox" the Mailbox Store dropdown menu is emty, and i cant continue. When i try to access a existing users mailbox rights button in the exchange advanced tab i ADUC i get a error message: **************************************** Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension There is no such object on the server. Facil...

Include Analytical Accounting fields in Requisitions Management
It would be great if the Analytical Accounting fields were available in the Business Portal Requisitions Management module. We would like the user to enter these values when they enter the requisition by selecting from the valid list of Analytical Accounting values. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then ...

Home user
I'm a home user and having a problem with Outlook 2002. I recently bought WindowsXP Pro with my new Dell 5100 laptop. Dell won't support it, neither will Microsoft. Maybe you can help. - I can send from Outlook fine. - When I send TO Outlook, the new message doesn't show up in my Inbox. But the sender does't get a bounce back. So it appears the message was sent but again, it's not showing up in my Inbox. - Here's the catch. Everything works FINE when I use Outlook Express. My ISP can't figure it out. My IT friends can't figure it out. The server inf...

Tab name is grey! I want it black!
Hi, thanks for viewing my post. I am using 2002 on a mac if that matters but my worksheet tabs have changed to light grey making it difficult to see the worksheet number or name. How would I change it back to black? Thanks! There's some information in the following thread, http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=fc7dfa0c.0305202337.4bbf46ff%40posting.google.com and you may want to post your question in the Mac newsgroup: microsoft.public.mac.office.excel crazyaboutgus wrote: > Hi, thanks for viewing my post. I am using 2002 on a mac if that > matters but my workshe...

Users disappearing from OAB
Hi, Using the EMC, under Recipient Config, Mailboxes, User, E-Mail Addresses, we uncheck the box "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on email address policy" to change someones default Reply address, they are removed from the OAB. They show up in the GAL if Outlook is not running in cached mode and in OWA. As soon as we recheck the box, run an OAB update and download the latest OAB, they show up again. I'm unable to find anything in ADSI Edit, or anywhere else as to why this happens or how to stop it. Any ideas (or am I waiting for SP1)? Thanks, Tom ...

NEW OUTLOOK DID TRANSFER OLD MESSAGES FROM MSOFFICE 97
I just installed MSOFFICEPRO 2003. It transferred my CONTACTS AND CALENDAR but didn't pick up my old mail. I have an unusual situation as I'm getting mail from the LOS ANGELES FREE NET but outgoing is SBC global. Any suggestions on how to fix this? NORM (au187@lafn.org) So, you were coming from OL97, correct? If so, how many PST files do you have on your system? "NORM" <NORM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E544DC71-977A-4C35-AB7B-66198A173FC9@microsoft.com... >I just installed MSOFFICEPRO 2003. > > It transferred my CONTACTS AND CAL...

how do i rename a sheet if the rename tab is inactive?
I tried to rename a sheet in a workbook but discovered that the rename option is inactive when i right-clicked on the sheet. How do i make it active ? Hi, This would happen if the 'workbook' was protected. Tools|Protection|Unprotect workbook -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Nelson" wrote: > I tried to rename a sheet in a workbook but discovered that the rename option > is inactive when i right-clicked on the ...

How do I stop users from accessing the global address list??
I want to run a hosted Exchange 2003 server and I don't want users that I've added to the Active Directory to be able to get at the global address list and see everyone elses information (like name, address, phone numbers etc). I just want Administrators to be able to access it. How do I do that? Modify the permission of the Global Address List by right-clicking it in ESM, selecting Properties, then go to the Security tab. "Sterling" <Sterling_Jacobson@RemoveMeHotmail.com> wrote in message news:uVRRoYvfEHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I want to run a hosted Ex...

how to rename a file #2
What MFC class/function would I use to rename a file. Assume the file is not being accessed by any application. I have typically used the C run time library function 'rename' but his there a comparable MFC or SDK function? Thanks Ian Hi, You could use CFile::Rename. Regards Andy Mortimer [MS] Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of included script samples a...

Outlook tries to connect wrong user
Hi, we use Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2007. When user1 logs on to her computer and then tries to start Outlook a message pops up that Outlook cannot access user2 mail or something similar. In control panel/mail/data files only user2 is listed. I don't want to delete user2 as I'm worried it will also delete user2's mail folders. How do I unlink user2 from user1's log on so that each user logs on to correct outbox mailbox and files? Many thanks I assume that both users are logging on with their own user account to Windows? Then you can safely remove the con...

Renaming your password
I wanted to ask if someone could tell me if it is possible to rename your password? I would like to keep my existing e-mail accounts, and all of my folders and saved information. However, I was told that if someone knows my password and e-mail address, they can access my account from any other computer, anywhere. So, is there some way to handle this without losing the small group of links and e-mail boxes, etc. without bailing out? To change your email account password, contact the account provider, or check their website for assistance. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) ...

FileCopy Problem in Access 2002
Has this function been removed in Access 2002, Service Pack 7? Is anyone using it in Service Pack 7? No, FileCopy statement is still served. What problem did occur? "John Lane" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:076701c3a5fd$adefaae0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Has this function been removed in Access 2002, Service > Pack 7? Is anyone using it in Service Pack 7? Protection Violation message. >-----Original Message----- >No, FileCopy statement is still served. >What problem did occur? > >"John Lane" <anonymous@discussi...

rewrite mail address

Line of Credit Account Setup
I have Money 2004 and when I create a new account it does not give me the option for a Line of Credit type. In microsoft.public.money, RobertW wrote: >I have Money 2004 and when I create a new account it does not give me the >option for a Line of Credit type. Perhaps those types are not available in the Canadian/Standard version. You could call it a credit card. ...

Converting an Excel List into Access
I am unable to import a specific excel document into Access. I have done countless other imports and never encountered an error. What are some possible reasons for being unable to import the file? Yes all that shows up is: "An error occured while trying to import(directory path here). The file was not imported" >-----Original Message----- >What happens when you try to import it? Is there an error message? > >Dano wrote: >> I am unable to import a specific excel document into >> Access. I have done countless other imports and never >> encountered...

Mailboxes that are not AD users
Can Exchange have a mailbox that is not an AD user? Thanks The general answer is no but what wouls you like to do in the first place? -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples (if any) are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm * Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only "Ron" <ron@nospam.com> wrote in message news:137a001c443d4$5c29af60$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can Exchange have a mailbox that is not an AD ...

Saving and opening a named folder using VB
Hi, In creating a workbook, I seem to have struck a dificulty in that if the workbook is transferred to another computer I need to change some of the code each time (as the other computers run different versions of windows, so the path to a specific folder is different.) The code that's affected relates to saving the file and opening the file using VB code within that file. Is there some way that excel can create a new named folder and place it in the My Documents folder so that the procedure would work in allcircumstances? AND also look for that folder (wherever it may be found) to open ...