Renaming Exchange 2003 Server computer name

Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without
having to reinstall?

Thanks for your help
0
jericom (3)

jericom@gmail.com (Jerico Max) wrote in news:bdd87ac0.0409221151.125dfb99
@posting.google.com:

> Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without
> having to reinstall?

This can get ugly. Proceed with caution. I'd recommend building a new
server and moving mailboxes to it. You could use temporary hardware and
rebuild your current server with your required name.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP
"Arlo Clizer [MVP]" <aclizer@online.pullman.com> wrote in message news:<Xns956C9872ECC91arlowa@207.46.248.16>...
> jericom@gmail.com (Jerico Max) wrote in news:bdd87ac0.0409221151.125dfb99
> @posting.google.com:
>
> > Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without
> > having to reinstall?
>
> This can get ugly. Proceed with caution. I'd recommend building a new
> server and moving mailboxes to it. You could use temporary hardware and
> rebuild your current server with your required name.
>
> Regards,

In other words its not posible???
0
jericom (3)
9/23/2004 5:44:36 AM
In the last exciting episode, jericom@gmail.com (Jerico Max) wrote:

>In other words its not posible???

Not if you'd like Exchange to continue to function after the rename.

--
Chris Scharff
MessageOne

-- ROT13 for valid SMTP address --
Not gonna happen.

"Jerico Max" <jericom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without
> having to reinstall?
>
> Thanks for your help

0
ewoodrick (190)
9/23/2004 3:06:19 PM
Hi everybody,

MS is stupid! I have tons of reasons for keeping my old exch server name, it
was a licensing server, a second printing server... if the name changed, it
sure no need to change outlook  client, but all of the pop3, imap, user
documets ... have to been changed!
Dont say the way of moving to another hardware and rename it back... even
so, you have to remove the first exchange server 2003 from admin group and
site.
How ?
Here is the answer from MS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931
I felt headache when I read it! I dont think you will like it either!
Why not MS develope a procedure to rename an exch server 2003? I dont think
that will be more complicated than this.

"Jerico Max" wrote:

> Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without
> having to reinstall?
>
> Thanks for your help

0
Gary103 (266)
3/2/2005 9:17:13 PM
yea i actually really regret moving from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 for
this reason, among others.  another one is that the restore process of
exchange is almost unbearable. and i have not once been able to restore from
ntbackup.  i should have just went with something like linux and imap with
outlook express or something.

if you know your way around active directory good enough, you can probably
succeed at renaming it, but i would never try it in a production environment
unless i tested it 3 or 4 times.

just my thoughts... sorry
-d

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
>
> MS is stupid! I have tons of reasons for keeping my old exch server name,
it
> was a licensing server, a second printing server... if the name changed,
it
> sure no need to change outlook  client, but all of the pop3, imap, user
> documets ... have to been changed!
> Dont say the way of moving to another hardware and rename it back... even
> so, you have to remove the first exchange server 2003 from admin group and
> site.
> How ?
> Here is the answer from MS
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931
> I felt headache when I read it! I dont think you will like it either!
> Why not MS develope a procedure to rename an exch server 2003? I dont
think
> that will be more complicated than this.
>

> "Jerico Max" wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without
> > having to reinstall?
> >
> > Thanks for your help

0
dmihalko (34)
3/2/2005 9:56:05 PM
you could not rename an Exchange server in 5.5 either...and what is your
restore issue?  I've done many restores on 2003...never a problem...

"dmihalko" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> yea i actually really regret moving from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 for
> this reason, among others.  another one is that the restore process of
> exchange is almost unbearable. and i have not once been able to restore
from
> ntbackup.  i should have just went with something like linux and imap with
> outlook express or something.
>
> if you know your way around active directory good enough, you can probably
> succeed at renaming it, but i would never try it in a production
environment
> unless i tested it 3 or 4 times.
>
> just my thoughts... sorry
> -d
>

> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > MS is stupid! I have tons of reasons for keeping my old exch server
name,
> it
> > was a licensing server, a second printing server... if the name changed,
> it
> > sure no need to change outlook  client, but all of the pop3, imap, user
> > documets ... have to been changed!
> > Dont say the way of moving to another hardware and rename it back...
even
> > so, you have to remove the first exchange server 2003 from admin group
and
> > site.
> > How ?
> > Here is the answer from MS
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931
> > I felt headache when I read it! I dont think you will like it either!
> > Why not MS develope a procedure to rename an exch server 2003? I dont
> think
> > that will be more complicated than this.
> >

> > "Jerico Max" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without
> > > having to reinstall?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help

0
susan1334 (131)
3/2/2005 11:06:32 PM
Hi Susan,

renaming exch 5.5 server name is a pain of neck to admins, it was not a
fault of MS.
but, since exch 2000, even 2003, with two new version development, MS should
have changed the way... unfortunately, they done nothing to this issue. This
is MS' fault.
the procedure of migration from 5.5 to 2003 is almost perfect except the
last step - have to get a new server name that leaves admin and end users a
headache. for admin and IT guys, new server name is not big problem at all,
the problem is all end usesr who almost know nothing about technical thing
and wont like accept any changes.  this will get the IT workload and cost
higher, we have to take effort and time to explain to all users.
Any upgrading, whatever hardware or software, the perfect solution should be
that everything can be changed to admins, but to users, should let them feel
nothing changed.

As for the restore of exch2003, it takes time for a new admin to practice.
MS truely has got this version of exch restore improved.

gary

"Susan" wrote:

> you could not rename an Exchange server in 5.5 either...and what is your
> restore issue?  I've done many restores on 2003...never a problem...
>
> "dmihalko" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > yea i actually really regret moving from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 for
> > this reason, among others.  another one is that the restore process of
> > exchange is almost unbearable. and i have not once been able to restore
> from
> > ntbackup.  i should have just went with something like linux and imap with
> > outlook express or something.
> >
> > if you know your way around active directory good enough, you can probably
> > succeed at renaming it, but i would never try it in a production
> environment
> > unless i tested it 3 or 4 times.
> >
> > just my thoughts... sorry
> > -d
> >

> > "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > MS is stupid! I have tons of reasons for keeping my old exch server
> name,
> > it
> > > was a licensing server, a second printing server... if the name changed,
> > it
> > > sure no need to change outlook  client, but all of the pop3, imap, user
> > > documets ... have to been changed!
> > > Dont say the way of moving to another hardware and rename it back...
> even
> > > so, you have to remove the first exchange server 2003 from admin group
> and
> > > site.
> > > How ?
> > > Here is the answer from MS
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931
> > > I felt headache when I read it! I dont think you will like it either!
> > > Why not MS develope a procedure to rename an exch server 2003? I dont
> > think
> > > that will be more complicated than this.

0
Gary103 (266)
3/3/2005 2:21:03 PM
I had some system failure where a restore was needed.  After the enduring 4
hours in the middle of the business day that it took ntbackup to restore my
15GB exchange databases, the log file stated the restore failed.  It blew my
mind. so i was forced to use the eseutil commands.  total time this whole
thing took me was 22 hours and i wasnt pleased. after this i find that just
random mailboxes didnt get the SELF permissions, which causes a big problem
when trying to access a mailbox.

i left out what i think was a very important factor though.  i am actually
running exchange 2003 on a win2k server instead of 2003, on a supermicro
server.  this i feel is where most of my frustration stems from.

i have done alot of exchange 2000 and 5.5 recoveries, and kind of enjoyed
doing them.  however, after the exchange 2003 incident i had, i am dreading
the next time i have to do one.  i actually have nightmares about it :)

-d

"Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> you could not rename an Exchange server in 5.5 either...and what is your
> restore issue?  I've done many restores on 2003...never a problem...
>
> "dmihalko" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > yea i actually really regret moving from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003
for
> > this reason, among others.  another one is that the restore process of
> > exchange is almost unbearable. and i have not once been able to restore
> from
> > ntbackup.  i should have just went with something like linux and imap
with
> > outlook express or something.
> >
> > if you know your way around active directory good enough, you can
probably
> > succeed at renaming it, but i would never try it in a production
> environment
> > unless i tested it 3 or 4 times.
> >
> > just my thoughts... sorry
> > -d
> >

> > "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > MS is stupid! I have tons of reasons for keeping my old exch server
> name,
> > it
> > > was a licensing server, a second printing server... if the name
changed,
> > it
> > > sure no need to change outlook  client, but all of the pop3, imap,
user
> > > documets ... have to been changed!
> > > Dont say the way of moving to another hardware and rename it back...
> even
> > > so, you have to remove the first exchange server 2003 from admin group
> and
> > > site.
> > > How ?
> > > Here is the answer from MS
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931
> > > I felt headache when I read it! I dont think you will like it either!
> > > Why not MS develope a procedure to rename an exch server 2003? I dont
> > think
> > > that will be more complicated than this.

0
dmihalko (34)
3/3/2005 7:44:11 PM
I recently had to restore 8 databases to an Exchange 2003 server and had no
problem whatsoever...and all of my databases were over 30 G...did you
investigate why your restore failed?  and 4 hours to restore a 15G database
seems too long...what backup software/hardware?

> I had some system failure where a restore was needed.  After the enduring
4
> hours in the middle of the business day that it took ntbackup to restore
my
> 15GB exchange databases, the log file stated the restore failed.  It blew
my
> mind. so i was forced to use the eseutil commands.  total time this whole
> thing took me was 22 hours and i wasnt pleased. after this i find that
just
> random mailboxes didnt get the SELF permissions, which causes a big
problem
> when trying to access a mailbox.
>
> i left out what i think was a very important factor though.  i am actually
> running exchange 2003 on a win2k server instead of 2003, on a supermicro
> server.  this i feel is where most of my frustration stems from.
>
> i have done alot of exchange 2000 and 5.5 recoveries, and kind of enjoyed
> doing them.  however, after the exchange 2003 incident i had, i am
dreading
> the next time i have to do one.  i actually have nightmares about it :)
>
> -d
>
> "Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > you could not rename an Exchange server in 5.5 either...and what is your
> > restore issue?  I've done many restores on 2003...never a problem...
> >
> > "dmihalko" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > yea i actually really regret moving from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003
> for
> > > this reason, among others.  another one is that the restore process of
> > > exchange is almost unbearable. and i have not once been able to
restore
> > from
> > > ntbackup.  i should have just went with something like linux and imap
> with
> > > outlook express or something.
> > >
> > > if you know your way around active directory good enough, you can
> probably
> > > succeed at renaming it, but i would never try it in a production
> > environment
> > > unless i tested it 3 or 4 times.
> > >
> > > just my thoughts... sorry
> > > -d
> > >

> > > "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > name,
> > > it
> changed,
> > > it
> user
> > even
> > and
> > > think

> without

0
susan1334 (131)
3/3/2005 9:22:50 PM
"Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote:

>I recently had to restore 8 databases to an Exchange 2003 server and had no
>problem whatsoever...and all of my databases were over 30 G...did you
>investigate why your restore failed?  and 4 hours to restore a 15G database
>seems too long...what backup software/hardware?

4mm DAT drive?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I dont see a problem with this normally, however i am just a young net admin
and i could be mistaken.

Now i just stop the services and copy the MDBdata folder, cause i can always
get those back from past experience.

Sorry i didnt reply sooner, i havent open OE in a while.
-Dustin

> "Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I recently had to restore 8 databases to an Exchange 2003 server and had
no
> >problem whatsoever...and all of my databases were over 30 G...did you
> >investigate why your restore failed?  and 4 hours to restore a 15G
database
> >seems too long...what backup software/hardware?
>
> 4mm DAT drive?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

dmihalko (34)
3/8/2005 11:19:18 PM
another thing... i heard that sometimes you need to restore from ntbackup
twice for it to be successful especially on domain controllers, but that is
just hearsay. I am in the middle of preparing an office move so i dont
really have time to test it out.

ever hear of anything like that?

-D

"dm" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I didnt research into why the restore failed much as i was in panic mode
and
> afterwards the eventlog was just overflown with events.  Before all this I
> used ntbackup to back it up to file on another server that has a tape
drive
> attached and then back that up to my HP ultrium lto 100.  I figure
redundant
> copies cant hurt.
>
> I dont see a problem with this normally, however i am just a young net
admin
> and i could be mistaken.
>
> Now i just stop the services and copy the MDBdata folder, cause i can
always
> get those back from past experience.
>
> Sorry i didnt reply sooner, i havent open OE in a while.
> -Dustin
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I recently had to restore 8 databases to an Exchange 2003 server and
had
> no
> > >problem whatsoever...and all of my databases were over 30 G...did you
> > >investigate why your restore failed?  and 4 hours to restore a 15G
> database
> > >seems too long...what backup software/hardware?
> >
> > 4mm DAT drive?
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
dmihalko (34)
3/8/2005 11:24:10 PM
I don't run Exchange on a DC so I'd have no personal experience with
that...but I've never been not able to restore a backup in Exchange...and
offline backups aren't as useful in a DR situation as online backups...

> another thing... i heard that sometimes you need to restore from ntbackup
> twice for it to be successful especially on domain controllers, but that
is
> just hearsay. I am in the middle of preparing an office move so i dont
> really have time to test it out.
>
> ever hear of anything like that?
>
> -D
>
> "dm" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I didnt research into why the restore failed much as i was in panic mode
> and
> > afterwards the eventlog was just overflown with events.  Before all this
> > used ntbackup to back it up to file on another server that has a tape
> drive
> > attached and then back that up to my HP ultrium lto 100.  I figure
> redundant
> > copies cant hurt.
> >
> > I dont see a problem with this normally, however i am just a young net
> admin
> > and i could be mistaken.
> >
> > Now i just stop the services and copy the MDBdata folder, cause i can
> always
> > get those back from past experience.
> >
> > Sorry i didnt reply sooner, i havent open OE in a while.
> > -Dustin
> >

> > "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

> had
> > no
> > database
> > >
> > > 4mm DAT drive?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Rich Matheisen
> > > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
sconkey (3059)
3/8/2005 11:42:32 PM
sorry i should have been more clear.  my exchange server is not a DC.  i was
just stating in general, i heard that restoring system state from ntbackup
on a DC is a nuisance and sometimes requires to be run twice.

with your backups you run them straight to tape? if so, over network or
local?

-dustin

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I don't run Exchange on a DC so I'd have no personal experience with
> that...but I've never been not able to restore a backup in Exchange...and
> offline backups aren't as useful in a DR situation as online backups...
>
> "dm" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > another thing... i heard that sometimes you need to restore from
ntbackup
> > twice for it to be successful especially on domain controllers, but that
> is
> > just hearsay. I am in the middle of preparing an office move so i dont
> > really have time to test it out.
> >
> > ever hear of anything like that?
> >
> > -D
> >
> > "dm" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I didnt research into why the restore failed much as i was in panic
mode
> > and
> > > afterwards the eventlog was just overflown with events.  Before all
this
> > > used ntbackup to back it up to file on another server that has a tape
> > drive
> > > attached and then back that up to my HP ultrium lto 100.  I figure
> > redundant
> > > copies cant hurt.
> > >
> > > I dont see a problem with this normally, however i am just a young net
> > admin
> > > and i could be mistaken.
> > >
> > > Now i just stop the services and copy the MDBdata folder, cause i can
> > always
> > > get those back from past experience.
> > >
> > > Sorry i didnt reply sooner, i havent open OE in a while.
> > > -Dustin
> > >

> > > "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in
message

> > had
> > > no
> > > database

0
dmihalko (34)
3/9/2005 1:26:34 PM
straight to tape, over network...

> sorry i should have been more clear.  my exchange server is not a DC.  i
was
> just stating in general, i heard that restoring system state from ntbackup
> on a DC is a nuisance and sometimes requires to be run twice.
>
> with your backups you run them straight to tape? if so, over network or
> local?
>
> -dustin
>

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I don't run Exchange on a DC so I'd have no personal experience with
> > that...but I've never been not able to restore a backup in
Exchange...and
> > offline backups aren't as useful in a DR situation as online backups...
> >
> > "dm" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > another thing... i heard that sometimes you need to restore from
> ntbackup
> > > twice for it to be successful especially on domain controllers, but
that
> > is
> > > just hearsay. I am in the middle of preparing an office move so i dont
> > > really have time to test it out.
> > >
> > > ever hear of anything like that?
> > >
> > > -D
> > >
> > > "dm" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> mode
> > > and
> this
> > > drive
> > > redundant

> > > admin

> > > always

> message

> and
> > > had
> you

0
sconkey (3059)

Event sink registration for SMTP virtual server failed. (80070005 (Access is denied.) )
My setup: Windows 2003 AD (2 domain controllers) Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 server (I'll call it main-server.domain.com) Exchange 5.5 on a Windows 2000 server (used to have all the mailboxes, but they have been moved to main-server.domain.com) Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2000 server (call it front-end.domain.com) The front end server is getting the error messages in the event log every 3 minutes: "Event sink registration for SMTP virtual server /LM/SMTPSVC/1 failed. Error code is 80070005 (Access is denied.). " I am using a firewall, and the front end server is in a DMZ, op...

Hyperlink Coding (2000 vs. 2003)
Hi all, I created a form to hold hyperlinks to pdf and jpg files. The form has three fields, all with the hyperlink data type. I then created a command button that when clicked, allows the user to navigate to a file, click open and then set the value of the field to {FieldName}#{FieldName} so that Access will recognize the hyperlink as both display text and address. However, Access 2000 only views the display text and ignores the address. Any idea as to why Access 2000 only sees one part of the hyperlink? Also, how would I go about fixing it, if I'm using Access 2003 to c...

Rename Server
I was would like to know if it is possible to rename a server on which Exchange 2000 has been install onto, would this have an effect on exchange wayne The Exchange services won't start after a server rename. Build a new server with the new name and move the mailboxes to it. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ "WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message news:u5TGyDCpGHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I was would like to know if it is possible to rename a server on which >Exchange 2000 has been install onto, would this have ...

HELP Exchange / Outlook
User Reports that email from external sources arrives in his mailbox, remains for ~2-3 seconds, and then vanishes. I checked his rules and he has none. I used mdbvu32 to look for any stale rules and there are none. Can someone help me please. User is using Outlook 2003 is this just for email received from the Internet, or all email? check the "View" filters, and check the "delivery point" for all email... "Juan" <Juan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4A6E27E-D063-4170-9A07-023DB3ECEFE6@microsoft.com... > User Reports that emai...

Completing Exchange server migration
I am in the final stages of migration form one Exchange 2003 server to another Exchange 2003 server. All mailboxes have been moved and RUS and offline address book is pointing to the correct (new) server. The only issue i have remaining is the system folders. i.e. schedule+ free busy, these are not present on the new server. When i try and view the system folders, that is i right click on the public folders and select 'View system folders', i get the error 'Could not locate the root folder etc' Id No. C103b405 I have googled this error and tried installed url...

Excel 2000 to Excel 2003
Hi: A friend is sending me a spreadsheet with formulas and macros created in Excel running on Windows 2000. I am running Windows XP with Excel 2003. Whenever I try to open his file, I am get two pop ups asking whether or not to disable macros. Regardles of how I answer, the spreadsheet eventually opens, but EXCEL says that the file was corrup and that it had to repair the file. The repaired file is non-functional because all the macros have been scripted. If I send the file back to the originator, he says it works fine. The file was sent to another person with Windows XP a...

Sending Publisher 2003 emails through Outllook 2007?
I am trying to send an email generated in publisher 2003 through my Outlook which is 2007. Publisher 2003 will only allow me to send as an attachment. I would like it to be the body of the email. I've check Outlook set up and it should allow for this as it is set as the default program for emails, etc. on the Option / other tab. The version's have to match for some reason it only works if its Pub 2003 & Outlook 2003, and Pub 2007 & Outlook 2007. That being said, its still much better to send it as an attached pdf file, it's the best way to make sure everyone will...

Outlook 2003 does not open .jpg attachments....
....instead opens the 'temporary internet files' folder. I then have to open the folder in that one that is named OLK1C and then click on the file to open it. In prior versions double-clicking on the .jpg attachment would open it automatically in whatever program I used to view pictures. Any Ideas? Thanks ...

Merge two global lists in exchange #3
Hi! I have one (first domain) domain with exchange 2000 and windows 2000. And another (second domain) domain with exchange 2000 and windows 2000 in another forest. I want that users in first domain can see the users from second domain in the outlook list and the other way around. How can i do that? Thanks ...

Access 2003 & Vista
I recently installed my Access 2003 app onto my new PC with Vista Business. Now when I close various windows within the program, I see a white block where a particular window was along with the red X from the upper right hand corner of the closed screen. It seemed like a video problem so I contaced Dell but they varified that I have the latest video driver for my XPS M1330 so they are blaming Access. But the program works fine the other systems running XP so it is looking like Vista is the common denominator. Any ideas where I could go from here? Thanks. JC On Oct 15, 12:30 pm, JC <j...

Exchange 2003 Front-end with Exchange 2000 Back-end
I currently have a setup with multiple Exchange 2000 servers. I do not have any front-end servers. Can I install a new Exchange 2003 front-end server and get all Exchange 2003 mobile features? Or do I have to upgrade the back-end servers also? Any help is appreciated. You need to upgrade the back-end as well. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "rakishp" <rakishp@xsmail.com> wrote in message news:4b880277.0407012352.79d66c45@posting.google.com... > I currently have a setup with multiple Exchange 2000 server...

Exchange Connectivity #4
A new Exchange 2003 single site, has suddenly dropped access to all of the MS Outlook clients. Baseline security shows all is ok, pings fine, re-started all services and stores. Any ideas please?? what do you mean, exactly? what are the symptoms? any thing in the application log? can your users logon to the network? Global Catalog server OK? "Don Bews" <dbews@northlanarkchc.on.ca> wrote in message news:oX9Ce.15751$qg1.1377535@news20.bellglobal.com... > A new Exchange 2003 single site, has suddenly dropped access to all of the > MS Outlook clients. Baseline secu...

Name no longer resolved; not in GAL
I was testing an Access app that I wrote to automatically send an e-mail from on of my servers (Win2K member server in SBS2000 domain, but not DC; TS is in remote admin mode on this server). In the process of testing, I had to unhide the admin e-mail account in the GAL, then re-hide it. As part of troubleshooting, I removed the Outlook profile from this server. Now, I can no longer see that account in the GAL, nor will it resolve when I attempt to re-create the profile. The same thing just happened with a secondary admin account I was testing. The account does work on a workstation whe...

Exchange Server #9
I recently installed the trial version of Outlook 2007. I am having trouble connecting. I think I have determined that the server name is incorrect and causing the problem, but have no idea where to find what the true server name is... thanks! If you are not connected to a corporate network, I tend to doubt that = Exchange is the mail server you are actually using. Contact your ISP for the correct mail settings for your POP3 or IMAP = account. They usually have a FAQ section on their main page that = includes setting up mail services for various mail programs. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP ...

I can not connect to a SQL Server 2005 after installing Vista Serv
Hi I've have a program that connects to a SQL Server 2005 running on a Vista computer. After installing service pack 2, the program can not any longer connect to the database. The same program still works on XP machines. What happended? ERROR? Perhaps you shoul start the MS SQL service "Mikkel Arentoft" <Mikkel Arentoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:248A77EC-2C16-4B9D-95A2-7AF393BE919F@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I've have a program that connects to a SQL Server 2005 running on a Vista > computer. After installing serv...

2003 Outlook start up error
When I start outlook 2003, I always get a message "an extension failed to initialize" I click OK and outlook works fine but it is annoying to have this pop up everytime I start outlook. Help! Do you get any more info about which extension is having the problem? "Jack W" <Jack W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F435FAED-7E3B-4AB0-BFEF-42C58AC510D7@microsoft.com... > When I start outlook 2003, I always get a message "an extension failed to > initialize" I click OK and outlook works fine but it is annoying to have > this > pop...

Same Y Axis name for multiple charts
I have 3 charts per worksheet which need to use the same Y value on another sheet - Range A1 through A14 on worksheet ChartNames. Every day I bring in new data for 3 different charts. I'd like all 3 to use the same Y name but without having to manually edit the Series information in the forula bar. Is there a quick and easy way to do this? Currently I copy the same chart from page to page and select the new data range and then manually edit the Series Name, 1 at a time for 14 Series. Hope you guys can help, Mike B dvt wrote: > Do you mean the same thing when you say "Y value&q...

Restoring a folder in an inbox from Exchange 2003
Hi Folks, I have a user who deleted a folder from within there inbox. Could somebody please advise as to the best way of restoring. Any ideas would be great. The Server is exchange 2003 Rgds Stephen http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228934 Stephen Rooney wrote: > Hi Folks, > I have a user who deleted a folder from within there inbox. Could somebody please advise as to the best way of restoring. Any ideas would be great. > The Server is exchange 2003 > > Rgds > Stephen ...

how do i rename a sheet if the rename tab is inactive?
I tried to rename a sheet in a workbook but discovered that the rename option is inactive when i right-clicked on the sheet. How do i make it active ? Hi, This would happen if the 'workbook' was protected. Tools|Protection|Unprotect workbook -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Nelson" wrote: > I tried to rename a sheet in a workbook but discovered that the rename option > is inactive when i right-clicked on the ...

Cannot see fields in query design view on laptop; Access 2003
When in query design view on desktop (large screen), I can see the fields and criteria pane in the bottom half of the window, but when in query design view on laptop (small screen), I sometimes cannot see the fields and criteria pane no matter how far I scroll down. The only solution I have found so far is to move the fields and criteria pane to the top half of the window before closing the Access file on my desktop and before opening it on my laptop. Has anybody else run into this problem and found a way to view the fields and criteria pane if not immediately visible in the ...

Exchange virutal directories
Hello all, I am running Exchange 2003 with OWA. My question is that there are a couple of virutal directories within IIS for Exchange and was wondering if someone could tell me what functions they perform. Here is what they are Exadmin ExchWeb Exchange OMA Any help would be great Thanks! http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821898 -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Mike B" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31820E37-A239-44B7-A6AF-AF74635E5DB6@m...

Exchange 2003 SP2 white paper?
I am in need of a white paper for SP2 for Exchange. I have found a couple good webcasts and a really good "article" on everything that is fixed or modified in SP2 but the management wants a white paper. Anyone able to find this? Thanks in advance. On 24 Feb 2006 10:00:30 -0800, "Phil" <ssgbones@gmail.com> wrote: >I am in need of a white paper for SP2 for Exchange. I have found a >couple good webcasts and a really good "article" on everything that is >fixed or modified in SP2 but the management wants a white paper. Anyone >able to find this? &g...

2 companies 1 exchange
Hi Is it possible to host 2 companies mail (different AD) in 1 Exchange 2003 server? The companies is connected with an 10Mbit line. And if it is possible, how will users at the site without the exchange be authenticated? Tomppa Hi, This should help: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278888 Leif "Tomppa" <tofors99@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Od7F%23foBHHA.4256@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi > Is it possible to host 2 companies mail (different AD) in 1 Exchange 2003 > server? The companies is connected with an 10Mbit line. And if it is > possible, ho...

Outlook 2003 Net Folders...
Way back when, There was an option to syncronize contacts between computers via the "Net folders" option. Is there anything available today that allows for syncornization of contacts or other Outlook folders via the internet? Thanks! DS Not natively. The paid version of Hotmail allows you to store the messages/contacts/calendar on the Hotmail server and access these in Outlook by using the MSN Outlook Connector. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service ...

how to rename a file #2
What MFC class/function would I use to rename a file. Assume the file is not being accessed by any application. I have typically used the C run time library function 'rename' but his there a comparable MFC or SDK function? Thanks Ian Hi, You could use CFile::Rename. Regards Andy Mortimer [MS] Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of included script samples a...