Rename mailbox?

Is there any easier way of renaming a user account/mailbox when someone gets
married/divorced?  Rather than creating a new one and moving everything over
into it?
Win2003 Server/Exch2003 Server

Yep.  All this information is just stored in Active Directory.  If you change
the names on the user's account properties tabs, then that change is
replicated out and becomes the user's new "identity".  Some common tabs to
change are the 'Account' tab and 'Email Addresses' tab.

Just keep in mind that you may want to keep the user's old email address and
just add a new SMTP address under the new name, possibly making it the
'primary' address.

Also, if you change the name on the 'account' tab, that will be the new
login information after replication.

Doing this above keeps you from having to move data between mailboxes and
only involves the amount of time for you to make the AD changes and for the
changes to replicate out.

"Penny Miller" wrote:

> Is there any easier way of renaming a user account/mailbox when someone gets
> married/divorced?  Rather than creating a new one and moving everything over
> into it?
> Win2003 Server/Exch2003 Server

0
Garny (16)
10/9/2006 5:59:01 PM
Thank you.

"Garny" <Garny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yep.  All this information is just stored in Active Directory.  If you
> change
> the names on the user's account properties tabs, then that change is
> replicated out and becomes the user's new "identity".  Some common tabs to
> change are the 'Account' tab and 'Email Addresses' tab.
>
> Just keep in mind that you may want to keep the user's old email address
> and
> just add a new SMTP address under the new name, possibly making it the
> 'primary' address.
>
> Also, if you change the name on the 'account' tab, that will be the new
> login information after replication.
>
> Doing this above keeps you from having to move data between mailboxes and
> only involves the amount of time for you to make the AD changes and for
> the
> changes to replicate out.
>
> "Penny Miller" wrote:
>
>> Is there any easier way of renaming a user account/mailbox when someone
>> gets
>> married/divorced?  Rather than creating a new one and moving everything
>> over
>> into it?
>> Win2003 Server/Exch2003 Server

users mailboxes
HI! I had some problem doing my backup because some of my users have corrupt files in the deleted items. I wonder how can I open those mailboxes to be able to delete the item. I have the admin right on the network, I just don't know how to do it. Thank you and have a nice day! "Julie Rheaume" <jrheaume@compurangers.com> wrote: >HI! > >I had some problem doing my backup because some of my users have corrupt >files in the deleted items. I wonder how can I open those mailboxes to be >able to delete the item. I have the admin right on the network, I just do...

Mailbox contents viwer
How does an administrator view the contents of a mailbox in the Mailbox Store? Shane Why? Most adminstrators will not view the mailbox themselves, but take a copy via exmerge or restoring to another server so HR/managment can view the mail. "Shane" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03f901c4a02d$a7f3c600$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How does an administrator view the contents of a mailbox > in the Mailbox Store? > > Shane Frankly your response is not helpful. "Why" I need to do it not the point of the question, but how do I do it....

backing up and archiving mailboxes and stores
Under Windows 2003, exchange 2003 (not the enteprise version) is about to be installed. We're planning to deploy office pro 2003 along. I'm aware about the new cache in outlook, the OST file. Many users are keeping their emails for months and ever more, so I can't archive their emails from outlook. Besides, exchange can't support more than 16GB of data. So I must find how to make archives from the mailboxes while the users can keep their emails in the OST. QUESTION 1: How do I create an archive in exchange? Also, We're using backup exec 9.0, but a backup doesn't ...

Two Exchage Servers; where are new mailboxes created?
We are in the process of migrating from 5.5 to 2003. Both servers are active and we are moving mailboxes over one at a time. My question is, where are new mailboxes created when I create a new user in AD? How do I set it so that new users are put on the 2003 box? Normally, if you had installed the Administrations Tools for Exchange (Exchange CD setup on the DC or on your machine) when you create an user account on your machine for example, AD may ask you in which information store you want to put the mailbox for this user.. -- Regards, Yannick DUCERF French Exchange Administrator &qu...

overriding denied access to mailboxes
As a security feature, my organization set up Exchange so that domain administrators automatically are denied access to other mailboxes unless someone specifically grants them permission. There is a way to override this, but I forgot how. Can someone give me a hint? Also, please tell me if this is an inappropriate place to ask these questions. ...

Moving mailboxes across admin group
Hi, I have exchange servers 5.5 and exchange 2003 servers across admin groups. I need to move a mailbox from the 5.5 server to the 2003 server but I got a message that this can only be done after upgrading the 5.5 server to SP4 (service pack 4). Please I need to know the impact of installing the SP4 on the exchange server. Will I need to reboot the server, will I need to restart any services, will it have any other impact on any other services or program. Please I need to know because I am going to do this on a live environment. thanks. it's been a long time, but I do not beli...

Mailbox move hangs #2
Hi, Installed a new Exchange 2003 server and have been moving mailboxes from the previous Exchange 2000 server. Moved about 70 mailboxes with no problem, now suddenly I'm doing three more and it hangs on "Opening Destination Mailbox". I don't want to force it to stop. Is there anyway to tackle this? Thanks, John In case anyone is interested. This was caused by my own mistake. Because I moved the mailboxes over several nights, I forgot the fact that I installed Anti-virus software during the day this problem surfaced. The instructions say to turn off Anti-virus so...

Monitoring mailboxes rights etc.
Hi Is there any tool (Microsoft or third-party) or procedure available to monitor changes made to mailbox rights and to storage limits in Exchange 2000 and to notify administrators when the changes are made? I have a Windows 2000 domain with Echange server 2000. Thanks! SC ...

Sync Blackberry back to Exchange Mailbox
We are looking into purchasing several Blackberrys and I know that I can sync the device to Exchange mailboxes. The question that I cannot find an answer to is: if a message is deleted from the Blackberry will it be removed from the Exchange mailbox the next time a local sync is done? On 4 Oct 2005 06:58:52 -0700, "cadenney" <cadenney@yahoo.com> wrote: >We are looking into purchasing several Blackberrys and I know that I >can sync the device to Exchange mailboxes. The question that I cannot >find an answer to is: if a message is deleted from the Blackberry will ...

Import a .OST into another user Mailbox
I have a .ost file from a Outlook 2003 client I used at my last job. I saved all my company mail before I left to bring with me. I now want to open the .ost file, but can't seem to figure out how to do it. All the import options want a .pst and when I try to specify the .ost for offline files, I get an error that the file is for another user (me at my old company). Does anyone have any idea how to import this .ost? Hi Brian Try this article 163589 XCLN: Restoring from an OST after Deleting the Mailbox http://support.microsoft.com/?id=163589 If this does not work, there are 3rd party ut...

Deny logons during Move Mailbox operation
Is there any way of preventing users from logging on to their mailboxes? I am moving to a new server and during the mailbox moving I don't want my users to have the possibility to log on to the old server. Regards, D. Hamstad The Exchange Team published a great article describing how the move mailbox process really works. http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/02/15/373021.aspx After the mailbox is moved to the new server the clients will not be able to connect to the old Exchange Server. If the clients are using Outlook and can communicate to the Exchange Organization, the profile...

Outlook 2003 Shared mailbox notification sounds
Hi there, I am running outlook 2003 and am accessing a shared mailbox (for technical support for multiple technicians) I want to know how I can create a rule that will run on that shared mailbox to pop up a notification / make a sound whenever a new email comes in. I have tried the most logicial ones I can think of, but no luck. Please help :) thank you! Hawkz <nicko@ezysurf.co.nz> wrote: > I am running outlook 2003 and am accessing a shared mailbox (for > technical support for multiple technicians) > > I want to know how I can create a rule that will run on that...

Remove exchange attributes vs. Delete Mailbox
Hi, What negative effects can appear if "Remove exchange attributes" is used to delete mailboxes within an Exchange 2003 environment instead of the "delete mailbox" task ? Unfortunately at http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/10/13/429192.aspx and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823170 no side effects are documented.... Thanks Mario ...

Recovering emails from mailbox that was deleted months ago
I have been asked to find emails in a mailbox that hasn't been used in 15 months. They are not on any backups since we don't keep them for more than a year. The user hasn't logged on to the pc since the mailbox was deleted and the ad account was deleted (obviously). we run Outlook in cached mode here so I'm wondering if this is possible. Can I get the password that the user was using (if the remember), unhook the pc from the network and log on using stored credentials in windows xp and pull up outlook to get the local copy of the mailbox to come up. Then grab the messag...

locked mailbox
One of our help desk folks mistakenly disabled an account yesterday, and although it's been re-enabled, the user couldn't get into the mailbox, and hasn't all day. To get him working, I removed the mailbox from the account (removed the Exchange attributes), created a test account and attached the mailbox to it, then created a new mailbox for the user's account. He's working fine now, but I still can't into his old mailbox. I've compared the two mailboxes side by side, but I can't find any differences. Not hidden, not disabled, not locked out, all the perm...

Additional mailboxes in OL profile
I have several resource mailboxes that the front desk personnel have added to their Outlook 2003 profile. For example, they have Car1, Car2, Van1, Van2, Conference Room 1, etc. Looking at the folder list view it lists all of the ones added to their profile except one may say "Car1" and another say "Mailbox - Car1". They have about 15 of these mailboxes in their profile and because they are named like this they are not sorted by name (alphabetically), which makes it hard to quickly find the desired one. Any clues on why this is happening? I've looked thru active dir...

exchange 2003 -> 2007 mailbox move issue
I have a mixed 2003, 2007 environment where all mailboxes used to live on the Exchange 2003 box, but in the past week I have been moving mailboxes over to a 2007 box. Most of the moves were successful, however 20 � 30 failed (could not move user contacts), I increased the number of allowed errors during the transfer and was able to move everyone across. The problem I am facing right now is with the users who had errors during migration. What happened was their mailboxes moved 2007, but mailboxes on 2003 did not get deleted because they have a few problematic items left. Looking at t...

Moving inbox, contacts and calendar from one exchange mailbox to another
I feel a bit retarded asking this, but I recently had to create a new mailbox for a user who was receiving tons of spam. Now, of course, all his old messages and contacts and calendar entries are in his old mailbox. I know how to move messages from mailboxes to .pst files and back, but is there some way to directly move the contents of these files from one exchange mailbox to another through Outlook? Thanks... What version of Outlook, it will probably be just as quick to do an export to pst, basically you need to give the new mailbox permission to open the old mailbox and then add it to...

Renamed AD Account
Greetings all. We have Exchange Server 2003 SP1. I renamed a users account several months ago and everything seems to be working fine. However, the user informed me today that when they log into OWA (located on our Front End Server), the link at the bottom still shows the name of the old user. I can't seem to find the old users name anywhere in the system but yet it still shows up, no matter where they login from. Of course this isn't a HUGE deal, since it doens't affect anything from other users perspective, but it's just something he would like corrected if possib...

mailbox rights
I have two users in AD, one is myself, and the other is a coworker who is also an admin. When I go to my user properties, under exchange advanced, I have a button "Mailbox Rights", but the other admin does not have this button? What gives? We are both members of administrators and domain admin. ...

OU Delegation in AD and Exchanmge mailboxes
Dear All, I want to give some rights to create child objects and delete onjects to some administrators in the Active Directory. I have Exchange Server 2003 organization. I want to know if i am giving the creation/ deletion of objects rights on the OU level in the AD to the administrators, will this give them the right to create mailboxes / deletre mailboxes as well for the users ? -- Haroon Malik Besides the OU-level delegation, they also need Exchange View Only Admin. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3ADPerm/5c5ab164-536d-4d86-a529-f6a34ce1da1c.mspx -- ...

viewing mailbox contents
Hi there. Is there any way from the Exchange server to view the contents of a given mailbox? I have a user with 2000 mails that I actually just need to delete. I know I could install Outlook on some workstation and access the mailbox from it but is there an easier way? It would be great if I could see the emails somehow, but just being able to "reset" or delete all mails in the inbox would help me too. If I removed the mailbox from the user in AD and then re-added it a few minutes later, would that effectively give me a pristine mailbox with zero mails?` Thanks in advance I...

mass deleting mailboxes/user accounts on Exchange 2003
I need to delete a few hundred user accounts and their corresponding mailboxes from our AD domain and Exchange 2003 server, but have yet to find an easy way to do this. So far I've experimented with LDIF, "net user /delete" command line, and manually deleting the accounts via the AD Users and Groups and checking the "delete mailbox" checkbox when promted, but when I check the mailbox store afterward the mailboxes still appear even after running the Cleanup Agent. I would rather not have to go through and purge each mailbox individually. If anyone can offer suggestion...

.xls file gets renamed to a file with no extension
Hello All! I am using Excel 2000 and I am occasionally having an issue with my .xls files being renamed. I have an in-house application that opens, modifies, saves and closes any given list of .xls files. Prior to running the in-house app, let's say my directory contains 10 .xls files. Sometimes, after the in-house app runs, the directory will have (for example) 8 .xls files and 2 files with no extensions (like 22F1AC20). Sometimes, as the in-house app is modifying the .xls files, I watch the timestamps of the files (via Windows Explorer) as they change after the files are ope...

Moving Exchange Mailboxes
Hi everybody! Maybe one of you can help me with a little problem I've got. I want to rename all Mailbox folders from \\Server-path\Sharename\MBX\Surname_Name to \\Server-path\Sharename\MBX\Name.Surname Any ideas how I could do that? Where do I have to specify the syntax for creating new Mailboxes? Any ideas are very welcome! Cheers. gustavgans@email.com (Gustav) wrote: >Hi everybody! > >Maybe one of you can help me with a little problem I've got. I want to >rename all Mailbox folders from >\\Server-path\Sharename\MBX\Surname_Name to >\\Server-path\Sharename\MBX\...