Removing Exchange 2000 #5

Hi all,
 I'm trying to remove an install of Exchange 2000 - This was the first
Exchange server in our organization. Since then, we've migrated users
mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server, and upgraded AD to 2003 functional
level

When I try to uninstall the Exchange 2000 server, the message I get back is:

"The component 'Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services'
cannot be assigned the action' Remove' because:
 - One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These
users must be removed to a mailbox store on a different server or be
mail disabled before uninstalling the server'"

From a KB article, I've found to use the 'ldp' utility, and have browsed to

Domain -> Configuration -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange ->
Organization -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group ->
Servers -> Exchange 2000 -> Information Store -> Storage Group ->
Mailbox Store

and looked at the 'homeMDBBL' attribute. It looks like this :

2> homeMDBBL: CN=Microsoft System
Attendant,CN=Exch2000,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative
Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com; CN=SMTP
(Exch2000-{24C0CFBC-E59F-4644-9BFE-0575D7A478CC}),CN=Connections,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Organization,DC=com;

As I understand it, there are only 2 mailboxes left on the old Exchange
server. The System Attendant and the SMTP mailbox. In the System
Manager, it's not possible to (re)move these mailboxes

I'm evidently missing something obvious here, but I'm not sure what.
Could anyone offer some pointers?

Thanks!
0
none

Dear Poster,

try to search for mail-enabled users, which has email address extentions and
attributes only.
try to do search form Active Directory and try to search for mail-enabled
contacts or users i think. if there is, you have to delete the email
attributes for these users as well.

please let me know if you need more help on this. cause i faced this issue
before and i could solve it by this way.

there is an advanced things to do, but first , search for what i asked for
before going more advanced.

Regards

Alaa Al-Ankar

"none" <""ben\"@(none)"> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to remove an install of Exchange 2000 - This was the first
> Exchange server in our organization. Since then, we've migrated users
> mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server, and upgraded AD to 2003 functional
> level
>
> When I try to uninstall the Exchange 2000 server, the message I get back
> is:
>
> "The component 'Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services'
> cannot be assigned the action' Remove' because:
> - One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These
> users must be removed to a mailbox store on a different server or be
> mail disabled before uninstalling the server'"
>
> From a KB article, I've found to use the 'ldp' utility, and have browsed
>
> Domain -> Configuration -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange ->
> Organization -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group ->
> Servers -> Exchange 2000 -> Information Store -> Storage Group ->
> Mailbox Store
>
> and looked at the 'homeMDBBL' attribute. It looks like this :
>
> 2> homeMDBBL: CN=Microsoft System
> Attendant,CN=Exch2000,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative
> Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com; CN=SMTP
> (Exch2000-{24C0CFBC-E59F-4644-9BFE-0575D7A478CC}),CN=Connections,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Organization,DC=com;
>
> As I understand it, there are only 2 mailboxes left on the old Exchange
> server. The System Attendant and the SMTP mailbox. In the System
> Manager, it's not possible to (re)move these mailboxes
>
> I'm evidently missing something obvious here, but I'm not sure what.
> Could anyone offer some pointers?
>
> Thanks!

0
alaa (132)
4/12/2006 3:13:45 PM
Hi,

If you are try to remove the first exchange server you will need to move the
system attendant and the SMTP mailboxes from the exchange 2000 to the
exchange 2003, the following article should help you out:

How to remove the first Exchange 2000 Server computer from the site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307917/en-us

"Alaa Alian Al-Ankar" wrote:

> Dear Poster,
>
> try to search for mail-enabled users, which has email address extentions and
> attributes only.
> try to do search form Active Directory and try to search for mail-enabled
> contacts or users i think. if there is, you have to delete the email
> attributes for these users as well.
>
> please let me know if you need more help on this. cause i faced this issue
> before and i could solve it by this way.
>
> there is an advanced things to do, but first , search for what i asked for
> before going more advanced.
>
> Regards
>
> Alaa Al-Ankar
>

> "none" <""ben\"@(none)"> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I'm trying to remove an install of Exchange 2000 - This was the first
> > Exchange server in our organization. Since then, we've migrated users
> > mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server, and upgraded AD to 2003 functional
> > level
> >
> > When I try to uninstall the Exchange 2000 server, the message I get back
> > is:
> >
> > "The component 'Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services'
> > cannot be assigned the action' Remove' because:
> > - One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These
> > users must be removed to a mailbox store on a different server or be
> > mail disabled before uninstalling the server'"
> >
> > From a KB article, I've found to use the 'ldp' utility, and have browsed
> >
> > Domain -> Configuration -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange ->
> > Organization -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group ->
> > Servers -> Exchange 2000 -> Information Store -> Storage Group ->
> > Mailbox Store
> >
> > and looked at the 'homeMDBBL' attribute. It looks like this :
> >
> > 2> homeMDBBL: CN=Microsoft System
> > Attendant,CN=Exch2000,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative
> > Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
> > Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com; CN=SMTP
> > (Exch2000-{24C0CFBC-E59F-4644-9BFE-0575D7A478CC}),CN=Connections,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
> > Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Organization,DC=com;
> >
> > As I understand it, there are only 2 mailboxes left on the old Exchange
> > server. The System Attendant and the SMTP mailbox. In the System
> > Manager, it's not possible to (re)move these mailboxes
> >
> > I'm evidently missing something obvious here, but I'm not sure what.
> > Could anyone offer some pointers?
> >
> > Thanks!

0
Jude (110)
4/12/2006 4:25:03 PM
Thank you Alla Al-Ankar! There was a user object in AD that had the old
server as it's home Exchange server, but had no mailbox

Thank you for your help!

Alaa Alian Al-Ankar wrote:
> Dear Poster,
>
> try to search for mail-enabled users, which has email address extentions and
> attributes only.
> try to do search form Active Directory and try to search for mail-enabled
> contacts or users i think. if there is, you have to delete the email
> attributes for these users as well.
>
> please let me know if you need more help on this. cause i faced this issue
> before and i could solve it by this way.
>
> there is an advanced things to do, but first , search for what i asked for
> before going more advanced.
>
> Regards
>
> Alaa Al-Ankar
>

> "none" <""ben\"@(none)"> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>I'm trying to remove an install of Exchange 2000 - This was the first
>>Exchange server in our organization. Since then, we've migrated users
>>mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server, and upgraded AD to 2003 functional
>>level
>>
>>When I try to uninstall the Exchange 2000 server, the message I get back
>>is:
>>
>>"The component 'Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services'
>>cannot be assigned the action' Remove' because:
>>- One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These
>>users must be removed to a mailbox store on a different server or be
>>mail disabled before uninstalling the server'"
>>
>>From a KB article, I've found to use the 'ldp' utility, and have browsed
>>
>>Domain -> Configuration -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange ->
>>Organization -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group ->
>>Servers -> Exchange 2000 -> Information Store -> Storage Group ->
>>Mailbox Store
>>
>>and looked at the 'homeMDBBL' attribute. It looks like this :
>>
>>2> homeMDBBL: CN=Microsoft System
>>Attendant,CN=Exch2000,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative
>>Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
>>Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com; CN=SMTP
>>(Exch2000-{24C0CFBC-E59F-4644-9BFE-0575D7A478CC}),CN=Connections,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
>>Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Organization,DC=com;
>>
>>As I understand it, there are only 2 mailboxes left on the old Exchange
>>server. The System Attendant and the SMTP mailbox. In the System
>>Manager, it's not possible to (re)move these mailboxes
>>
>>I'm evidently missing something obvious here, but I'm not sure what.
>>Could anyone offer some pointers?
>>
>>Thanks!

0
none
4/12/2006 4:51:11 PM
Hi Jude,
 Thanks for your reply. I had actually already migrated everything from
the old platform to the new. There was a user object in AD that still
had the old server set as its home exchnage server

Thank you for your help

jude wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you are try to remove the first exchange server you will need to move the
> system attendant and the SMTP mailboxes from the exchange 2000 to the
> exchange 2003, the following article should help you out:
>
> How to remove the first Exchange 2000 Server computer from the site
>

> "Alaa Alian Al-Ankar" wrote:
>

>>Dear Poster,
>>
>>try to search for mail-enabled users, which has email address extentions and
>>attributes only.
>>try to do search form Active Directory and try to search for mail-enabled
>>contacts or users i think. if there is, you have to delete the email
>>attributes for these users as well.
>>
>>please let me know if you need more help on this. cause i faced this issue
>>before and i could solve it by this way.
>>
>>there is an advanced things to do, but first , search for what i asked for
>>before going more advanced.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Alaa Al-Ankar
>>

>>"none" <""ben\"@(none)"> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>I'm trying to remove an install of Exchange 2000 - This was the first
>>>Exchange server in our organization. Since then, we've migrated users
>>>mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server, and upgraded AD to 2003 functional
>>>level
>>>
>>>When I try to uninstall the Exchange 2000 server, the message I get back
>>>is:
>>>
>>>"The component 'Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services'
>>>cannot be assigned the action' Remove' because:
>>>- One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These
>>>users must be removed to a mailbox store on a different server or be
>>>mail disabled before uninstalling the server'"
>>>
>>>From a KB article, I've found to use the 'ldp' utility, and have browsed
>>>
>>>Domain -> Configuration -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange ->
>>>Organization -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group ->
>>>Servers -> Exchange 2000 -> Information Store -> Storage Group ->
>>>Mailbox Store
>>>
>>>and looked at the 'homeMDBBL' attribute. It looks like this :
>>>
>>>2> homeMDBBL: CN=Microsoft System
>>>Attendant,CN=Exch2000,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative
>>>Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
>>>Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com; CN=SMTP
>>>(Exch2000-{24C0CFBC-E59F-4644-9BFE-0575D7A478CC}),CN=Connections,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
>>>Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Organization,DC=com;
>>>
>>>As I understand it, there are only 2 mailboxes left on the old Exchange
>>>server. The System Attendant and the SMTP mailbox. In the System
>>>Manager, it's not possible to (re)move these mailboxes
>>>
>>>I'm evidently missing something obvious here, but I'm not sure what.
>>>Could anyone offer some pointers?
>>>
>>>Thanks!

0
none
4/12/2006 4:52:02 PM
Dear None User :)

i am so happy to know that my post did help you in solving your issue.

please rate this post so the others can get benefit from it.

if you need anything, please let me know.

> Thank you Alla Al-Ankar! There was a user object in AD that had the old
> server as it's home Exchange server, but had no mailbox
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Alaa Alian Al-Ankar wrote:
>> Dear Poster,
>>
>> try to search for mail-enabled users, which has email address extentions
>> and
>> attributes only.
>> try to do search form Active Directory and try to search for mail-enabled
>> contacts or users i think. if there is, you have to delete the email
>> attributes for these users as well.
>>
>> please let me know if you need more help on this. cause i faced this
>> issue
>> before and i could solve it by this way.
>>
>> there is an advanced things to do, but first , search for what i asked
>> for
>> before going more advanced.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Alaa Al-Ankar
>>

>> "none" <""ben\"@(none)"> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>I'm trying to remove an install of Exchange 2000 - This was the first
>>>Exchange server in our organization. Since then, we've migrated users
>>>mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server, and upgraded AD to 2003 functional
>>>level
>>>
>>>When I try to uninstall the Exchange 2000 server, the message I get back
>>>is:
>>>
>>>"The component 'Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services'
>>>cannot be assigned the action' Remove' because:
>>>- One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These
>>>users must be removed to a mailbox store on a different server or be
>>>mail disabled before uninstalling the server'"
>>>
>>>From a KB article, I've found to use the 'ldp' utility, and have browsed
>>>
>>>Domain -> Configuration -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange ->
>>>Organization -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group ->
>>>Servers -> Exchange 2000 -> Information Store -> Storage Group ->
>>>Mailbox Store
>>>
>>>and looked at the 'homeMDBBL' attribute. It looks like this :
>>>
>>>2> homeMDBBL: CN=Microsoft System
>>>Attendant,CN=Exch2000,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative
>>>Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
>>>Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com; CN=SMTP
>>>(Exch2000-{24C0CFBC-E59F-4644-9BFE-0575D7A478CC}),CN=Connections,CN=Organization,CN=Microsoft
>>>Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Organization,DC=com;
>>>
>>>As I understand it, there are only 2 mailboxes left on the old Exchange
>>>server. The System Attendant and the SMTP mailbox. In the System
>>>Manager, it's not possible to (re)move these mailboxes
>>>
>>>I'm evidently missing something obvious here, but I'm not sure what.
>>>Could anyone offer some pointers?
>>>
>>>Thanks!

0
alaa (132)

Remove Excel Icon ??

exchange "directory lookup " problem
dear mvp i have one domain and sub-domain , two domain also is win2k3 + exchange2k3 sp2 in these few day , my sub-domain exchange have problem ,all mail can't forward to root domain , all is hold on " server " " queues" " messages awaiting directory lookup " but can send out & receive out-bound mail in sub-domain exchange is work just internal mail not work can't send & receive to root-domain if anyone one know , pls help me thank your very much On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:53:51 +0800, <tequila529@gmail.com> wrote: >dear mvp ...

Removal

DPM 2010 RC - Exchange 2007
Hi, We are protecting a exchange 2007 server, DPM is all green. When I go to restore, I cant drill down to mailbox only to the database? Could someone advise? Thanks Dave Have you protected the exchange server using workgroup/un-trusted domain flow? If so, mailbox enumeration is not supported when an exchange server is protected using this flow. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "DRLJAMES" <DRLJAMES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBEC7CDA-AAE0-48CE-A6F7...

All Address Lists -- Exchange 2003
I have created new address lists in Exchange 2003 under Exchange System Manager | Recipients | All address Lists. Is there a way to prevent a user from seeing the address list name in their Outlook client? For example, I have an address list called "Confidential Email Addresses", and so far I have been able to figure out how to set permissions so specific users cannot see the contents of the address list. However, these same users can still see the heading or name of the address list. I am trying to prevent questions as to why users can see an address list heading but ...

Remove lines with +++

How to Remove SRS

remove Fax from address book?

Exchange down #2
Hello, After some much needed help on this one.... Last night our SAN connection to Exchange (2003 std ed) went and so did our logs and DB, after 4 hours Exchange was back and we went home. This morning after 2 hours of user in and working the SAN connection went again this time taking the finance server too, - great!! Managed to get a working solution but we could only manage to ensure one server connected to SAN, as Finance is Progress it got the SAN. We moved (properly) via Exchange the priv and pubs to a local disk of the server and also the logs, Exchange was fine until the SAN ...

Removing an item from menu

Need to remove selected characters

Mailbox recovery in exchange 2000 server
I have backed up my information store which has a mailboxstore in which my mailbox exits in one exchange server. I need to restore this mailbox to another exchange server in another forest . Can anybody provide step by step procedure to recover my mail box store into another exchange server in another forest . I have named the other exch srvr with same org name , admin grp , storage grp and mailbox store but restore does not seems to happen as my server names are different. reply thnks Hi Chicago it's probably because the name of the mailbox store and the name of the pulic store d...

Duplicate e-mail messages 2000 downloaded in outlook, there must be a solution
I recently installed Microsoft Office XP and downloaded all of the service packs and patches to Office (including Outlook 2002). Almost every time I reboot and even sometimes reload outlook, Outlook will keep downloading the same messages into my folders from the e-mail server of each account. I have "leave a copy" on server checked for most of my counts. Is their a solution to this problem? This could be because of firewall settings so that a confirmation of receiving cannot be send back to the smtp server. Disable the firewall for a while and see if the problem is gone. Hope this...

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

Exchange 2000 Information store error (Urgently need help)
We have Exchange 2000 service pack 3 and I have just found event ID 1025 - function name or description of problem SLINK: Ecupdate Error 0x8004010f on our Information Store. The store is running OK and we can send and receive mail. The event ID points a few things out but any help greatly appreciated. thanks -- Kath http://www.portsense.com/ng/microsoft.public.exchange.admin/2003/September/17/390282.cfm -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Kaddie" <kathied@tweed.nsw.gov.au(donotspam)> wrote in message news:FA54A12E-4C87-4B7C-B29F-8D4DC765F62...

Office 2000 live up date lost original CD rom
The office have lost the CD Rom Office 2000 SR-1 Premium French and since I down loaded an update from MS each time I open Excel it ask for the original CD as noted above . This all effect other Excel item i.e. can not open direct from e-mails and old versions on our server Its not possible to buy the above version of office on the market What upgrade would you recommend or what can I do to get this problem solved Thanks If you have registered it then call Microsoft and see if they can replace the media for you. Never hurts to ask. -- Regards Ken.........................

connecting exchange servers in different forests...
hi, my company is in four different locations and we have @test.com, @mail.test.com, @downloads.test.com all are windows 2000 AD and windows 2003 exchanger servers. All these domains are in different forests and different exchange organisations. now my company want a common mail extension like @test.com to all the users for all these domain in different forests. Pls help me.. Why do they want a single email domain and still have separate AD domain forests. This is not a good plan. I would look at integrating all the Windows domains into one forest if they are serious about this. Exchan...

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

outlook exchange calendar.. auto appear in crm calendar ??
Hi Is it possible to make someones calendar from exchange auto synch with his calendar in CRM? I mean.. without clicking track in crm when making an appointment ? main purpose would be so ppl create appointments with their blackberry and appears in crm.. Thanks ...

Removing password protection on a sheet

Uninstalling exchange server 2000
I want to uninstall exchange server 2000 from my windows 2003 server but I received a message that I need to move users to a mailbox store on a different server or be mail disabled before uninstalling the server. I am new to exchange server. Please help. If the Exchange 2000 you can not remove a server if it has mailboxes still on it. You need to move these mailboxes to another Exchange server if you have one or delete them. Go to AD and do a find, change the find to Exchange Recipients in the box at the top and tick only Users with Exchange mailbox, then click on the storage tab and c...

Folder Creation slow in Exchange 2003
Hi, I just got through an Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, and am working out the kinks. One thing I noticed, when I create a folder in Outlook (i.e. task list, contacts, calendar, etc.) it takes like 4 minutes to add it. Using Exchange 5.5, it was pretty much immediate. Any ideas? I do still have the 5.5 server in the organization, but it's shutdown. Could this have an impact? Thanks, Troy ...