Remote VPN access to Exchange

We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN through a
Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but when
she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps asking for
authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.

How do we get past this?  Thanks.
0
Andrew3569 (322)

Is she actually authenicating in the domain or is she using cached
credentials? It seems unusual that authentication would work for network
resources for not for Exchange. What type of network resources is she asking
and is she actually logging onto the domain before attempting to configure
her Outlook profile?

Nue
"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN through a
> Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but when
> she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps asking
> for
> authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.
>
> How do we get past this?  Thanks.

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/30/2006 9:44:55 PM
Is the user running WinXP with Firewall enabled?

0
milkrik (16)
3/31/2006 12:22:44 AM
If te user has WinXP ..make sure you configure the firewall part . .I had
same issue with our users. Go to Windows Firewall and clickon Settings,
advanced and there is listed your VPN connection .. you have to highlightt
the connection and in settings allow services to connect.
Once we did it it worked without problem.

Hope it helps.
Roman

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN through a
> Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but when
> she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps asking
> for
> authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.
>
> How do we get past this?  Thanks.

0
mail2 (3)
3/31/2006 2:44:17 AM
"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN through a
> Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but when
> she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps asking
> for
> authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.
>
> How do we get past this?  Thanks.

Is the machine a member of the domain, or a stand alone PC?

Try domain/username and password.

Also as other users said check the Windows firewall properties.

0
exchangemvp (657)
3/31/2006 1:00:41 PM
She is not logging into the network before trying to configure e-mail.  She
is connecting to our network using a username/password set up on the
firewall.  When she tries to access network resources, she is asked to supple
credentials.  When she enters her windows account info it let's her right in,
but Exchange won't let her do that.

"Martin Blackstone - MVP" wrote:

> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN through a
> > Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but when
> > she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps asking
> > for
> > authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.
> >
> > How do we get past this?  Thanks.
>

> Is the machine a member of the domain, or a stand alone PC?
>
> Try domain/username and password.
>
> Also as other users said check the Windows firewall properties.

0
Andrew3569 (322)
3/31/2006 8:28:06 PM
Have you tried using the runas command to launch Outlook?

> She is not logging into the network before trying to configure e-mail.
> She
> is connecting to our network using a username/password set up on the
> firewall.  When she tries to access network resources, she is asked to
> supple
> credentials.  When she enters her windows account info it let's her right
> in,
> but Exchange won't let her do that.
>
> "Martin Blackstone - MVP" wrote:
>

>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN
>> > through a
>> > Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but
>> > when
>> > she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps
>> > asking
>> > for
>> > authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.
>> >
>> > How do we get past this?  Thanks.
>>

>> Is the machine a member of the domain, or a stand alone PC?
>>
>> Try domain/username and password.
>>
>> Also as other users said check the Windows firewall properties.

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/31/2006 8:34:36 PM
So did you try this?

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> She is not logging into the network before trying to configure e-mail.
> She
> is connecting to our network using a username/password set up on the
> firewall.  When she tries to access network resources, she is asked to
> supple
> credentials.  When she enters her windows account info it let's her right
> in,
> but Exchange won't let her do that.
>
> "Martin Blackstone - MVP" wrote:
>

>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN
>> > through a
>> > Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but
>> > when
>> > she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps
>> > asking
>> > for
>> > authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.
>> >
>> > How do we get past this?  Thanks.
>>

>> Is the machine a member of the domain, or a stand alone PC?
>>
>> Try domain/username and password.
>>
>> Also as other users said check the Windows firewall properties.

0
exchangemvp (657)
3/31/2006 9:46:52 PM
So did you try this?
Try domain/username and password.

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> She is not logging into the network before trying to configure e-mail.
> She
> is connecting to our network using a username/password set up on the
> firewall.  When she tries to access network resources, she is asked to
> supple
> credentials.  When she enters her windows account info it let's her right
> in,
> but Exchange won't let her do that.
>
> "Martin Blackstone - MVP" wrote:
>

>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a user who is remotely connecting to our network via VPN
>> > through a
>> > Cisco PIX firewall.  She can access network resources no problem, but
>> > when
>> > she tries to configure Outlook using our Exchange server, it keeps
>> > asking
>> > for
>> > authentication.  Using her windows account information does not work.
>> >
>> > How do we get past this?  Thanks.
>>

>> Is the machine a member of the domain, or a stand alone PC?
>>
>> Try domain/username and password.
>>
>> Also as other users said check the Windows firewall properties.

0
exchangemvp (657)

Access #2
Is there a version of microsoft access that can be run on a mac On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:07:09 -0500, perkon wrote (in article <13d901c439ef$09d2e680$3a01280a@phx.gbl>): Hi, > Is there a version of microsoft access that can be run on a mac All of them if you use Virtual PC... Otherwise, no. Access has not be ported to the Mac and will probably never be. Hopefully there are numerous excellent (and cross platform) database applications on the Mac the most common ones being 4D and FileMaker Pro. You can even use MySQL. Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP (Franc...

Using Access to create documents
I am new to this so I am might be completely misunderstanding the purpose of Access, but I was wondering if I can use Access to import a file from Excel, and then based on a certain condition (any entry that has a date before x in a specified column) populate Word documents. That is, for any entry that meets that condition, the rest of the data for that entry be used to fill in certain fields in an already created Word document. If there is a different way to go about this task, using a different combination of Office applications, that would be helpful too. I imagine it could be done ...

Exch Server 2003 - Enable message tracking
I am trying to fix message tracking on one of our 2003 Exch Servers. The log file directory has a load of unreadable characters in it, but when I try to change it by pointing to either the existing log folder or a new one I get the following error; Existing folder; Access is denied Facility: Win32 ID no: c0070005 Microsoft Exchange Management I have looked the error up and checked the permissions on the following registry key; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipe\Winreg and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\language Everything seem correct so wh...

how to access siebel from MFC
Hi how to access siebel from MFC -- Sivaswami Jeganathan What is SIEBEL? Is it a database? Look here for general database/MFC: http://www.codeproject.com/database/ ------ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

couldnt access data from BP 4 + GP 10 + Internet
I deployed BP4 + GP10 in the server. In LAN i am able to access all pages and data in BP like customer list, vendor, invocies, payments. sales commisons etc. When i am trying to access the BP site through internet( using public IP method ) i am able to see only few information ( Accounts, Items etc ). But wheni am trying to access inovices,Customer Balances , Sales and Commissions pages etc sample navigations: 1) xxxx Business Portal > Business Portal > Sales Center > Sales Center Pages > Sales Invoice List 2) xxxx Business Portal > Business Portal > ...

Cannot see all mails in Exchange folder from Outlook 2003/2007 on one computer
I have a problem with one folder in Outlook on one machine. After a certain date (irrelevant, but it is 18th october 2006), no mails can be seen in one folder. If I check from OWA it works fine. I see new emails. I tried to upgrade to Outlook 2007 as well and it works just as bad. I have tried to uninstall and re-install as well. Is there some way to get rid of all settings in Outloo? I have tried to switch over from cached mode to non-cached mode and back, but it doesn't work either in cached or non-cached mode. I tried to delete the ..ost-file while in non-cached mode as well. It wasn&#...

How do I store which user modified a record in Access 2007?
I am new to Access and have an Access 2003 database without user-level security that I am planning to convert to Access 2007. I would like to add fields to my database to store create_userid and modify_userid. Can someone help me with that please? The general concept is that you'd add fields to each table for which you wish to keep this information. The fields I generally add are: [CreateDate] [CreatedBy] [LastUpdated] [UpdatedBy] Then I add code in each form that displays table data. That code checks to see if the data is a new record or is an upda...

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Excel macro to create e-mail in Outlook Web Access
Hi, Where I work they've changed from Outlook 2003 to Outlook Web Access. At the end of each day I send a report by e-mail to several other people in the organisation. To date I've used a macro in Excel that takes figures from a worksheet and creates an e-mail in Outlook. If I'm logged in to Outlook Web Access, can I still get an Excel macro to create an e-mail message? Thanks, DL ...

Exchange backup isn't working
Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard. About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were working. Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were failing. The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019. The backup report log says the following: Backup Type: Normal Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM. The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Erro...

Merging Access Contact Info Fields into Outlook VBA
I am trying to use the code below but would like to use an Access table to feed the 120 individual "email", "subject", "body" and "attachment" that I need. What would be the easiest solution to not have to copy this code for my 120 contacts? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -------------------------------------------------- On Error GoTo Error_Handler Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application Dim objEmail As Outlook.MailItem Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.application") Set objEmail = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem) ...

Exchange 5.5 Backup (Veritas 9.0)
Veritas Remote Engine for Excahange stopts when trying to backup Mailboxes Exchange 5.5 (SP4 Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) Nasser <nsheleby@kvie.org> wrote: >Veritas Remote Engine for Excahange stopts when trying to backup Mailboxes. >Exchange 5.5 (SP4) >Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) Best thing to do in the first instance is to see what error Veritas is throwing up and then report it to Veritas support. It's not a favourite practice to be doing mailbox level (also known as Bricks Level) backups. See link at signature for more information on Bricks Level Backups and why they are best avoi...

access violation caused by cstring
We are working on a project where we need to migrate some code of an old application to a new application.The old app is an MFC app,which have some functions in the application class and document class which is required by the new app also.We created a dll project which is derived from the old app(Instead of directly deriving from CWinApp).So the hierarchy is as follows CWinApp<-Old app(COldApp)<-CNewDLLApp When the CNewDLLApp object is created(When LoadLibrary() is called),an access violation error is happening.It is caused in the constructor of COldApp where it is initialising a CStr...

access public folder from trusting domain
We are trying to configure access to a public folder from a trusted domain. The folder resides in the trusting domain on Exchange 5.5. A mailbox was created and the NT account on the box is a local group that includes a global group from the trusted domain. The global group includes the account of users who need to see the public folder. The mailbox was added to the DL that has Owner role on the public folder. As well, we created a folder for the user. For the user to be able to map to the share we added their nt account from that is in the trusted domain to the share. The nt accoun...

Access to project time and expense
I am new to GP and have installed GP8 with BP2.5. The problem is when attempting to access the project time or expense pages in BP. I receive the message, " you are not authorized to view this page". I have ran grantsql against the dynamic database but this seems to have had no effect. Can anyone tell me how to go about fixing this issue? Thanks in advance. ...

Logman for Exchange performance monitoring
I'm trying to schedule daily collections of a ton of Exchange counters and wanted to automate it; I'm looking at using logman.exe to get this taken care of but no matter how much I read the documentation, I can't get the syntax right. I have the Microsoft documentation on logman but I think I am just not visualizing things--- could someone walk me through the order/steps for getting this to work? For example... do I need to create a collection, add all of the counters to the collection, and then start logman into that collection? I'm kind of lost! Thanks in advance! ...

Difficulty in pulling email into Outlook from Outlook Web Access
I want to be able to send/receive e-mail locally in Outlook. In trying to setup my e-mail account with my local Outlook, I am unable to connect to my Outlook Web Access server to check the username or connect to the server. I have tried both http setup in Outlook and exchange server setup via the Control Panel>Mail. When trying to set it up as "http" Outlook -hangs- when connecting and eventually comes back with the message that it is unable to connect to the server and is going offline. When setting it up as an Exchange account, I get an Outlook Error message that says...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...

3 exchange servers with 1 primary entry point.
we are changing our internet connection in all of our offices. we are setting up an MPLS nextwork. We have 3 exchange servers in 3 offices two of them are at the 2 entry points 1 of them is not. Since they will be going through another entry point they will have the same address as the one at that entry point. So my question is can we have 1 mail server as the primary entry point for the other 2? how do we set this up? Set MX record for your domain to point to IP of the server that is supposed to accept mail for your domain. Configure firewall accordingly. Greg Siegel wrote: > we ...

Outlook 2003 over VPN #3
Here is our setup: Windows XP / 2000 Pro Users with Outlook 2003 Remote Connection: Microsoft builtin PPTP VPN w/ Broadband Connection Corporate Env: Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 Server. Problem: Many users complain that their Outlook does not work after connecting over VPN. Offline is opening fine. Outlook just hangs and becomes unresponsive. Tried all tricks - recreating profile, repairing, reinstalling etc. Also when tested using Dialup connection - Outlook Opens fine. Checked all settings and all looks okay. VPN connecting alright and client able to ping Exchange serv...

Attaching Documents in an access database (table/form)
Is it possible to include an active link to stored documents on a network through acces? For example, I have created an access database (a table, form and report) to track open projects and each project will have a project plan and specification documents and I was hoping to be able to provide users a one click link to this document. So when they are adding a project they can attach the document, and when others need to view the document they can just look at the item for a link. Not sure if it works this way (like in excel you can hyperlink to a document in a cell). Thanks in advance ...

exporting xml from access 2000 query
Hi Im trying to convert an access 2000 query to xml with this vba code Attribute value VB_Name = "XML" Option Compare Database Option Explicit Sub QFN(MyQName As String, WithFormats As Byte) Dim MyDb As Database, TDefLoop As QueryDef, MySet As Recordset, MyFormat() As String Dim FNames() As String, n As Integer, MyF As Field, Tt As String, NumF As Integer Set MyDb = CurrentDb() For Each TDefLoop In MyDb.QueryDefs If TDefLoop.Name = MyQName Then Debug.Print "List of fields in '" & UCase(TDefLoop.Name) & "'" NumF = TDef...