Relay attempt failed

I get an error when trying to send to a specific external email address.  I
can send to other external email addresses.  Here is my error:

      aash@outsidedomain.org on 5/16/2006 10:33 AM
assistance, contact your system administrator.
            <exchange.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1
<aash@outsidedomain.org>... relay attempt failed>

I don't have any restrictions on the user attempting to send the email.  Any
comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.  TIA.

-Steven-

0
me8028 (83)

Please specify exactly how you are trying to send the message.  What mail
client, how is it configured, etc.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Steven Platt" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I get an error when trying to send to a specific external email address.  I
>can send to other external email addresses.  Here is my error:

>      aash@outsidedomain.org on 5/16/2006 10:33 AM
> assistance, contact your system administrator.
>            <exchange.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1
> <aash@outsidedomain.org>... relay attempt failed>
>
> I don't have any restrictions on the user attempting to send the email.
> Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.  TIA.
>
> -Steven-

0
Ben
5/16/2006 6:40:24 PM
In all of the unsuccessful test scenarios I am using Outlook 2003 configured
with the Microsoft Exchange option.  I didn't think that the client would be
an issue here but it seems it is.  I have just sent the same email with
success using OWA.  What in the world does that mean?

-Steven-
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:e8aHzgReGHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Please specify exactly how you are trying to send the message.  What mail
> client, how is it configured, etc.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Steven Platt" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>I get an error when trying to send to a specific external email address.
>>I can send to other external email addresses.  Here is my error:
>>
>> The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
>>
>>      aash@outsidedomain.org on 5/16/2006 10:33 AM
>> assistance, contact your system administrator.
>>            <exchange.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1
>> <aash@outsidedomain.org>... relay attempt failed>
>>
>> I don't have any restrictions on the user attempting to send the email.
>> Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.  TIA.
>>
>> -Steven-

0
me8028 (83)
5/16/2006 9:41:28 PM
Outlook configured in Exchange mode has a MAPI connection to Exchange.  As
such, it submits the messages directly to the store - they aren't relayed.
I'm also unsure why Outlook in Exchange mode would result in an error when
OWA would not.

Have you tried creating a new profile?

--

> In all of the unsuccessful test scenarios I am using Outlook 2003
> configured with the Microsoft Exchange option.  I didn't think that the
> client would be an issue here but it seems it is.  I have just sent the
> same email with success using OWA.  What in the world does that mean?
>
> -Steven-
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:e8aHzgReGHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Please specify exactly how you are trying to send the message.  What mail
>> client, how is it configured, etc.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "Steven Platt" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I get an error when trying to send to a specific external email address.
>>>I can send to other external email addresses.  Here is my error:
>>>
>>> The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
>>>
>>>      aash@outsidedomain.org on 5/16/2006 10:33 AM
>>> assistance, contact your system administrator.
>>>            <exchange.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1
>>> <aash@outsidedomain.org>... relay attempt failed>
>>>
>>> I don't have any restrictions on the user attempting to send the email.
>>> Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.  TIA.
>>>
>>> -Steven-

0
Ben

How to bypass Smart host relay in EX2K3 when delivering SMS to a mobile device.
Hello. How can I configure Exchange Server 2003 SP2 to deliver SMS directly to the mobile carrier instead of relaying to the configured smart relay host? Thanks in advance. I want to enable AUTD for Mobile Devices in EX2K3. Legal disclaimer? Well, that's provided by a specific package rather than Exchange (unless you've done an event sink in years past) So, you need to have a go at working out what that package is and how it's configured. On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:44:50 -0500, "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote: >Hello. > >How can I configure Excha...

inbox repair tool fails to complete
hi, I've been having problems with my newish laptop XP & Office 2003 ST edition. Tried to run inbox repair tool on the .pst. I get the message that says internal errors were found, and I selected the box for a backup file to be created, but the process hangs on the repair. I tried twice, and can verify the .bak file is there and the same size as the .pst, but the repair won't complete. Using the Task Manager indicates the process is not responding. Happened twice in a row. Any thoughts? Thanks, Carmen Greta Grip <misscarmengetit@hotnospammail.com> wrote: >...

Unwanted Mail Relaying/ IP Spoofing
Hello, I'm running Exchange 5.5sp4 on an NT4sp6a box. Routinely I have several queued messages that have "<>" as the originator that I delete every day. On the routing tab I do have "Reroute incoming SMTP mail" selected and all three valid domain names entered as "inbound". Also under routing restrictions I entered in the range of valid IP's that is allowed to relay. Also, from notifications sent to me from my ISP stating email virus-like activity originating from my firewall and after taking measures such as anti-virus scans and implem...

Error message0x8004010f Operation Failed
I keep getting this error message each time I try to send an email. I am connecting to a POP3 account. I have verified that my account settings are correct with my ISP. I have set up my address book. What can I do to correct this? -- Jay Thomas Jay Thomas <zaxon5002@hotmail.com> wrote: > I keep getting this error message each time I try to send an email. > I am connecting to a POP3 account. I have verified that my account > settings are correct with my ISP. I have set up my address book. > What can I do to correct this? 1) Disable any antivirus scanning of incoming m...

Deleted Accounts still generating Failed Delivery Reports
Here is a strange one for you: I send an email to systems@abc.com and it gets there and thats it. I send a calender invitation to the same mailbox and it gets there. But then I get a failed delivery report for former employees who used to use belong to a Distribution list with the same name. I used to belong to that distribution list and I do not recieve the inivitation. I am not really sure if the failed delivery report is because of the Distribution list or because the old users used to use the mailbox. This happens from any machine using Outlook. Needless to say those users are long gon...

SMTP relay
Hi. There is a small network (10 computers). Everyone uses Outlook Express and want to keep it that way. I need to find out some way to get input and output archive of all incoming/outgoing messages. I configured a Outlook Express input filter to forward every incoming message to the in-archive@nomatterwhere mailbox. I cant get a simple way to to the same to outgoing mail. I suppose I could install in one of the computers a SMTP relay. Then I could configure all Outlook Express clients to deliver mail to that machine (fixed internal IP or whatever). Then I could configure SMTP relay to ...

Remote access fails with Win 7
I installed a SBS 2008 server with remote access. I opened ports 1723 and 47 on the router/modem. Now using the default Windows VPN client I can VPN into the server with Windows XP but can NOT with Windows 7. With Windows 7 I get an “Error 800: The remote connection was not made because the VPN tunnels failed.” If someone knows how to resolve the Windows 7 problem I would be most appreciative. Also what ports or configuration should be made for a L2TP connection. Thank you so much for your help. Lonewizard do you have a third party firewall or are you blocking port 172...

Open Relay #8
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help? i have disabled relaying in exchaneg and run a test on abuse.net with the results below (i have replaced our mail servers ip address with 000.000.000.000, our server name with SERVER-NAME-REMOVED and our domain name with OURDOMAIN.net) does anyone have any ideas on why the server is still relaying? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want any spammers using our server to relay. Many thanks Dan. Mail relay testing Connecting to 000.000.000.000 for anonymous test ... <<< 220 SERVER-NAME-REMOVED Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Versi...

CRM upgrade from 1.2 to 3.0 with SQL instance fails
Hello, The Microsoft CRM 3.0 server does not upgrade my basic CRM 1.2 server. When it is checking the server requirements, I get a couple of errors like "MachineName value SQL1\CRM is invalid" and "The SQL Server 'SQL1\CRM' is unavailable". I am hosting the CRM databases on a seperate SQL 2000 instance. I can validate that the CRM 1.2 server has no problems accessing the database server because everything is working. Here is what the help says when I click on the error: Named Instance Microsoft SQL Server Found Cause Setup has found that you are trying to ...

Small Business Contact Manager Fails
Running Outlook 2002 under XP, 'demo' database of Small Business Contact Manager functions OK (the Northwind Traders sample file). However, when I use the 'create new database' wizard to import my Outlook contacts, I receive message re 'general failure'. Database not created. Have tried reinstalling, etc. Any ideas? Any workarounds ? Many thanks ...

Relay??
I am using exchange 2003. About 1 or 2 e-mails a day come back to my server as being rejected from the other e-mail servers specifying they do not relay for us. About 2-300 e-mails come out of our sever daily. Is this a problem on their end or mine? Our server is using the serverobjects SMTPQMail to send out e-mails. Here is one of the messages: Angela-Marie@PolarCountry.com on 6/29/2004 8:06 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <petpages.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <Angela-Marie@PolarCountry.com>... we do not r...

RELAY
just want to inquire about smtp relaying. we dont have any mail server we are just acquiring it from a company that host email and web. any way my question is about this relay. Each email has a limit of 250relays per day. When this is reached we can't send out any email. How does this relay works. Any information about this would be a great help. Thanks Allan Hi Allan You'd be better off posting this to one of the Exchange groups - see http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/community/default.mspx. -- TechieBird http://bwain-dump.blogspot.com "Allan M. Grafil" wrote: ...

exchange backups fail -
I'm having a situation with exchange 2003 were running our weekly full backup of exchange, when it basically bogged down and became un-responsive. we backup this infostore up from another machine with retrospect. I stopped the job in retrospect, and it showed that it finished. however, after restarting all (known) retrospect agent services on the exchange server, I am unable to connect to the exchange server to backup the info store. I attempted to backit up with winnt backup and now get the following: The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Backup is already acti...

Intermittent 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
Running Exchange 2000 SP3. We have a simple domain, one mail server. We're intermittently experiencing the 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@ourdomain.com rejection message sent from our exchange server when sending to various domains. When we receive this message, we just resend the message 5 minutes later and it goes through ok. Reverse DNS is fine, 90% of the time email delivery is fine. Anything I can check? ...

Open Relay #12
Ok how do you close an open relay.. i have bee through the KB and it talkes about how tot test one but not specificly how to close one. i have in my smtp acesss relay tab all all but list below and authinticate check at the bottom. is the any thing else i have to do.. because im in one of those blacklist and they check me and said i still have an open relay Thank You Can we see their diagnostics? D whitten wrote: > Ok how do you close an open relay.. i have bee through the KB and it talkes > about how tot test one but not specificly how to close one. > i have in my smtp acesss...

RPC over HTTP Fails Frequently
We have just recently installed a new server with Windows Server 2003 Standard, Microsoft Exchange 2003 Enterprise and Share Point 2003. I installed and configured http over rpc. It worked for the first day and then quit. I restarted the Exchange MTA service and it started working again for an hour and then quit again, this time restarting the MTA service didn't help. I installed exchange service pack one and required hot fixes hopeing it would make the RPC over http proxy more stable. But it still did not work. I removed and re-added the RPC over HTTP service in add remove programs amd...

Relay Servers?

operation failed #6
I am using Outlook 2002 and out of the blue, message pops up "Operation failed due to network or other communications problems". At that point, I can't send or receive mail. Shut down Outlook and restart Outlook and it will work briefly, then message again. Any suggestions? ...

Why am I relaying???
Hi, I have a customer who has a couple of domain names. We have recently installed a new server (2003SBS with Exchange 2003) and configured this to handle his mail. This is working fine for the main domain name he uses, but he is unable to get email sent to his other domain name, even though the DNS and MX record info is set up perfectly. The MX records for each domain point to the same server. When I try to send him a mail to the failing address this is the reply I get from my server: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test - 10:40 ...

Block Relay Access
I work for a small company that uses MS Exchange running on a 2003 SBS server with ISA firewall. We're having a problem with people using our server to send their emails. At any given time, we can take a look at the current sessions and see 5-10 sessions connected. As I said, we're a small company and there is no way that all those emails are originating with us. What we would ideally like to do is force everyone who wants to send an email out from our server to authenticate using their username/password from the Active Directory. I've tried a variety of settings, but n...

message sending fails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap When I send a message by 'replying' to a received message, the intended recipient gets nothing, even though I get no indication that the message has failed. <br> When I contact the same intended recipient with a new message, using my address book, all works perfectly. <br> Can anyone suggest what is going on please? On 1/10/10 9:25 AM, in article 59bb082b.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Meglet@officeformac.com" <Meglet@officeformac.com> wrote: > ima...

550 Relaying is prohibited
Does anyone know what to do about the error message ""550 Relaying is prohibited"", preventing me from returning e- mails? Thanks You probably just need to turn on authentication to your outgoing server so your ISP knows it's you sending the messages and not a spammer. You can do so on the "Outgoing Server" tab for your mail account. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:022401c3cccb$1af5a740$a101280a@phx.gbl, aern...

Allow relaying thru Exchange 2003
My users that use email from home can't respond/send to a message through the Exchange server without getting a relaying prohibited error. Is there any way to fix it so these people can use email from home? Im not sure exactly how to do explain with exchange 2000/2003, but on the SMTP interfaceor connector in the system manager, there should be something similar to relay restriction in the properties... You will need to use authentication for your users, as well as have your users set up thier mail clients to use thier domain credentials to authenticate with. I cant find the MS instru...

Relaying Errors
Ok, so for the last several days or so I've been experiencing a problem with my SBS 2003 server. I've been getting a lot of messages bounced back stating that relaying is denied. After a lot of searching and attempting multiple fixes I believe I've discovered the problem, but am unsure of how to fix it. First let me state that I'm completely baffled as to why it started happening. I have made no changes in IP or DNS nor have I patched the server or changed the config. It seems that my server is either attempting to deliver messages to the wrong servers or is simp...

Open relay #7
Hello! We have a w2k server with Exchange 2000, and i am affraid someone can relay on it. I have enabled logging, and in the file I found this: 2004-10-14 09:37:20 64.236.224.39 OutboundConnectionResponse - 220+********0********************************** 2004-10-14 09:37:20 64.236.224.39 OutboundConnectionCommand - w2kexch.ED.local 2004-10-14 09:37:20 64.236.224.39 OutboundConnectionResponse - 500+Syntax+error,+command+unrecognized 2004-10-14 09:37:20 64.236.224.39 OutboundConnectionCommand - w2kexch.ED.local 2004-10-14 09:37:20 64.236.224.39 OutboundConnectionResponse - 250+OK 2004-...