relay 5.5 to 5.5?

Hello,

We have an Exchange 5.5 server running in a Chicago office
that has ATT DSL.  The server sends out mail on users
behalf.  ATT refuses to make DNS entry for server
because "they own the IP address".  As a result, some
customers refuse to accept mail from the mail server
because it won't resolve on a reverse DNS lookup.

This office gets it's mail from us in Boston.  People send
email to our domain, and our Exchange server routes it to
those users as they are set up as Custom Recipients.  This
works great.

Is there any way to set up Exchange 5.5 to send mail from
the Chicago office to our Exchange server in Boston which
will relay it off to it's final destination?  These two
servers are not part of the same site (obviously).

Thanks,
Brian
0
anonymous (74722)

Ex Admin => Internet MAil Server (chicago server) => Connections Tab
=> Message Delivery Area => Forward all messages to host: (Boston ip/fqdn)

Going to have to open up relaying on the Boston box to allow this
server to relay off of it..   Warning, the reverse-dns requirements, may
be offset by the Loop/Hop counter servers that will reject email based
on the fact that they count the relay hops from Chicago to Boston in
the headers.

Bob

"BrianA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We have an Exchange 5.5 server running in a Chicago office
> that has ATT DSL.  The server sends out mail on users
> behalf.  ATT refuses to make DNS entry for server
> because "they own the IP address".  As a result, some
> customers refuse to accept mail from the mail server
> because it won't resolve on a reverse DNS lookup.
>
> This office gets it's mail from us in Boston.  People send
> email to our domain, and our Exchange server routes it to
> those users as they are set up as Custom Recipients.  This
> works great.
>
> Is there any way to set up Exchange 5.5 to send mail from
> the Chicago office to our Exchange server in Boston which
> will relay it off to it's final destination?  These two
> servers are not part of the same site (obviously).
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

0
bb4 (46)
5/18/2004 4:57:21 PM
This gets me close, but I don't want our Boston Exchange
server to be an open relay for the spammers.  Any way I
can tell Exchange to only accept mail from the Chicago
server and relay it on?  I tried this under Routing
Restrictions by putting the Chicago server IP in, but the
Boston server replied "550 Relaying is prohibited.

Brian

0
anonymous (74722)
5/18/2004 5:55:35 PM
Routing, and Routing Restrictions..

> This gets me close, but I don't want our Boston Exchange
> server to be an open relay for the spammers.  Any way I
> can tell Exchange to only accept mail from the Chicago
> server and relay it on?  I tried this under Routing
> Restrictions by putting the Chicago server IP in, but the
> Boston server replied "550 Relaying is prohibited.
>
> Brian

0
bb4 (46)
5/18/2004 11:09:17 PM
Opps.. didn't see that you had done that..  Do you have Reroute incomming mail
selection with your domains as <inbound> ?   I know you can do this, this side of
equation escapes me right now..

> This gets me close, but I don't want our Boston Exchange
> server to be an open relay for the spammers.  Any way I
> can tell Exchange to only accept mail from the Chicago
> server and relay it on?  I tried this under Routing
> Restrictions by putting the Chicago server IP in, but the
> Boston server replied "550 Relaying is prohibited.
>
> Brian

0
bb4 (46)

Getting rid of last(only) 5.5 server
Hello, We had an exchange 5.5 server running on a windows 2000 server as the mail server. We recently added a new windows 2003 server and installed exchange 2003 hoping to remove the exchange 5.5. Adding the new server and transferring the mailboxes went smoothly. I followed the MS KB article to remove the last exchange 5.5 server. After stopping all the exchange services on the 5.5 server, email does not send from the new 2003 server. It needs the old 5.5 server to send?!?! I noticed the SMTP Mailbox Store Protocol is set to X400 and I'm thinking that why it doesn't send when the exc...

How to bypass Smart host relay in EX2K3 when delivering SMS to a mobile device.
Hello. How can I configure Exchange Server 2003 SP2 to deliver SMS directly to the mobile carrier instead of relaying to the configured smart relay host? Thanks in advance. I want to enable AUTD for Mobile Devices in EX2K3. Legal disclaimer? Well, that's provided by a specific package rather than Exchange (unless you've done an event sink in years past) So, you need to have a go at working out what that package is and how it's configured. On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:44:50 -0500, "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote: >Hello. > >How can I configure Excha...

Message Tracking Center #5
I have Exchange 2000 and was wondering if there is a way to track an e-mail. We had someone from outside of our network send an e-mail to everyone in our company. I would like to know if anyone in our company responded to this e-mail. Is there a way to track this information using the Message Tracking Center. Thanks "Golforfood" <Golforfood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have Exchange 2000 and was wondering if there is a way to track an e-mail. >We had someone from outside of our network send an e-mail to everyone in our >company. I would like to kn...

Win2k domain and 5.5 domain
Hi. Is it possible to have a W2K domain for validating logins and using a NT4 domain with Exchange 5.5 as the e-mailserver. Before W2K was introduced it was possible to have a accountdomain and a resourcedomain with a trust between to let the validated accounts have access to your mailbox. My plans is to move a 5.5 server to a site where they already have setup their W2K domain. The domain will be populated with the users that have the mailboxes on the 5.5 server i am planning to install. Is it possible? Mariah "MN" <MN@nospam.com> wrote in news:#SR0$4X9DHA.3380@tk2msftn...

Problem with mail delivery to exhcange server, gives error 550 5.7
Hello, I am just about ready to deploy this exchange server and ran it 'live' for about 5 minutes to be sure that mail delivery would be ok. I sent a messsage to the echange server from an external address and it was bounced back with this error ======= Hi. This is the qmail-send program at bouncehost. I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out. <ebenson@company.com>: <ip address> does not like recipient. Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ...

Exchange 5.5: Server to Server Communication (Ports)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5AE27.F4C843D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Good morning all, I have a tricky problem that I need a little help = with. I am trying to bring an Exchange server online, on the far-end of = a VPN tunnel. Exchange will not install but i think I know what the = issue is- ports are blocked. What ports? Heck if I know... Here's the story: 1) Current, functional configuration is a Mail server in location A, = with frame relay connection to Mai...

Unwanted Mail Relaying/ IP Spoofing
Hello, I'm running Exchange 5.5sp4 on an NT4sp6a box. Routinely I have several queued messages that have "<>" as the originator that I delete every day. On the routing tab I do have "Reroute incoming SMTP mail" selected and all three valid domain names entered as "inbound". Also under routing restrictions I entered in the range of valid IP's that is allowed to relay. Also, from notifications sent to me from my ISP stating email virus-like activity originating from my firewall and after taking measures such as anti-virus scans and implem...

SMTP relay
Hi. There is a small network (10 computers). Everyone uses Outlook Express and want to keep it that way. I need to find out some way to get input and output archive of all incoming/outgoing messages. I configured a Outlook Express input filter to forward every incoming message to the in-archive@nomatterwhere mailbox. I cant get a simple way to to the same to outgoing mail. I suppose I could install in one of the computers a SMTP relay. Then I could configure all Outlook Express clients to deliver mail to that machine (fixed internal IP or whatever). Then I could configure SMTP relay to ...

Exchange 5.5 Archiving solution
Hello, Can anyone help me with some best practices or general advise on storage limits and storage solutions for Exchange 5.5. Our organisation has extremely heavy email users, some of whom have mailboxes in excess of 1gb. I am drastically trying to put together some kind of storage policy and at present all I can come up with is backup up unwanted emails to PST on a cd. This doesn't really help for ease of access for future or DR. Can anyone give me a examples of how other companies are coping with huge exchange databases? Help much appreciated! Olly. That is how we are currently...

Open Relay #8
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help? i have disabled relaying in exchaneg and run a test on abuse.net with the results below (i have replaced our mail servers ip address with 000.000.000.000, our server name with SERVER-NAME-REMOVED and our domain name with OURDOMAIN.net) does anyone have any ideas on why the server is still relaying? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want any spammers using our server to relay. Many thanks Dan. Mail relay testing Connecting to 000.000.000.000 for anonymous test ... <<< 220 SERVER-NAME-REMOVED Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Versi...

OWA #5
How do I get the files (contacts/calendar/tasks) on my companies server via OWA to sync with Outlook on my home pc and laptop. I also have an iPaq pda and a wireless blackberry on all computers. Any help would be appreciated!!! You can't sync via OWA - OWA is just a browser view of your Exchange mailbox. You would need something like an offline folder with a laptop to synch Exchange with a non-Exchange profile. Otherwise, you can try one of the suggestions here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the...

Logging into GP Dynamics 7.5 reports error dealing with VBA event
While logging into Great Plains Dynamics, an error occurs stating "A serious error occured during a VBA event". We are running a duel terminal service clustered environment and logging into our main database gives this error. It is only happening on one of our 2 clustered boxes. After a second reboot of the Windows 2003 server, the error seeemed to disappear... During our migration, i am worried this error will reappear... has anyone seen or know of this error that could lead me down the right path? The event logs do not report any errors... is there by chance specific log...

Please Help !! upgrade to 2003 from 5.5
Is there a direct path to upgrade to exchange 2003 from 5.5. We use a single server environment and would like to install it on top of exchange 5.5 Please Help !! lots of info on this...see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259912 "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0b3301c4ab02$f3665230$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a direct path to upgrade to exchange 2003 from > 5.5. We use a single server environment and would like to > install it on top of exchange 5.5 > > Please Help !! Ray wrote: > Is t...

Relay??
I am using exchange 2003. About 1 or 2 e-mails a day come back to my server as being rejected from the other e-mail servers specifying they do not relay for us. About 2-300 e-mails come out of our sever daily. Is this a problem on their end or mine? Our server is using the serverobjects SMTPQMail to send out e-mails. Here is one of the messages: Angela-Marie@PolarCountry.com on 6/29/2004 8:06 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <petpages.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <Angela-Marie@PolarCountry.com>... we do not r...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 03-07-10
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86 I still having the same problem please some help me to fix this isue i disable my anti virus plus I delete my fil i386 same problem and i dont know what to do please help Same problem as...? chons wrote: > Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family > Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86 I still having the > same problem please some help me to fix this isue i disable my anti virus > plus I d...

Postmaster@IP Exchange 5.5
Hi How can I set this Address in Exchange 5.5? postmaster@[212.71.106.117] Thanks, Rick On the routing tab add a new domain of [212.71.106.117] and rather than inbound, set it as Route to this domain, selecting your actual domain. Restart the IMS, and any email send to user@[212.71.106.117] will be delivered to user@yourdomain.com. Postmaster email should automatically be accepted by whichever account is set as the IMS Admin Mailbox. -- hth, SusanV "Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB609F6A-6575-4EDD-94E9-E2E62707DB6E@microsoft.com... >...

Exchange 5.5: Administrator
I'd like to be able to send mail as a user on my system. Currently, we use 3rd party software to track helpdesk emails and such. People continue to email my box when they should be sending the requests to support. I'd like to forward all of these emails to support from their accounts so they can track their support request. Here's the catch: I want to do this without being a delegate for their account. Is this possible? ...

RELAY
just want to inquire about smtp relaying. we dont have any mail server we are just acquiring it from a company that host email and web. any way my question is about this relay. Each email has a limit of 250relays per day. When this is reached we can't send out any email. How does this relay works. Any information about this would be a great help. Thanks Allan Hi Allan You'd be better off posting this to one of the Exchange groups - see http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/community/default.mspx. -- TechieBird http://bwain-dump.blogspot.com "Allan M. Grafil" wrote: ...

Slow Attachments MSX 5.5 sp4.
I am having an issue with folks attaching files that seem odd. When they send the file to a DL it takes about 5 minutes to send. Then when the recipients try to open it right away, outlook hangs then eventually opens the attachment. Exchange 5.5 sp4 (5 servers in the site) Most desktops are using outlook 2k It seems that something is slowing down the committing process could it be MTA? cant find anything in the KB. Do you have antivirus installed on that machine? ANDO wrote: > I am having an issue with folks attaching files that seem > odd. When they send the file to a DL...

Exchange 5.5
I just rebuilt my Exchange 5.5 server and while users in my primary domain can access mail I have users from other domains that can no longer access their mail. I have tried removing their account from the mailbox and re-associating it, but no good. It tells them that they do not have sufficient rights. Any help greatly appreciated! -MLevy how, exactly, did you rebuild your Exchange 5.5 server? "Mark Levy" <Mark Levy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:742F52A4-7CD1-411E-88FD-0522E4E0A2F1@microsoft.com... > I just rebuilt my Exchange 5.5 server and while ...

Force Apply of Mailbox Settings (Exchange 5.5 Std Edition)
I have change mailbox's primary user account to a user and it takes a long time before it identifies from the workstation side. For example, I have userA is viewing MailboxA. Then after a time, I want userB to view MailboxA by changing the Primary User Account of his Mailbox. I have check userB if he can view it but there is an error, permission not allowed. I have restart the userB's computer but it didn't work also. I have experience this before but what I did is I only wait for the time that it takes effect. Can I force apply the settings immediately? Hoping for your response. ...

BP 2.5
Hi, I am getting the following message when I tried to install BP 2.5 on GP 8.0. Unable to validate company information in your backoffice data. Please help Regards, Ani Hi Ani; I am having the exact same problem. I am trying to put Business Portal on a development server for testing and demo before i tie into our live GP server. Does anyone have any insight on this? I only found one other post online at Experts-exchange, but like this one it was unanswered. Any help would be appreciated. Ani, I think this has something to do with the way the data was copied. Are you insta...

Intermittent 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
Running Exchange 2000 SP3. We have a simple domain, one mail server. We're intermittently experiencing the 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@ourdomain.com rejection message sent from our exchange server when sending to various domains. When we receive this message, we just resend the message 5 minutes later and it goes through ok. Reverse DNS is fine, 90% of the time email delivery is fine. Anything I can check? ...

Recover from total Exchange 5.5 disaster...
We have one Exchange 5.5 NT4 server which was being backed up using NT Backup. The server crashed and restarted itself a couple of days ago and has done something *bad* to Exchange. Certain colleagues werent keeping the backup tapes up to date. A colleague has used a tape a couple of days old to restore the Directory Service (?) After a few restarts, Exchange now stays alive for about 4 hours before needing a complete restart. Mail arrives on a unix box running exim which delivers the mail, minus spam and viruses to the NT4 Exchange server. After 4 hours start getting " Source:...

Open Relay #12
Ok how do you close an open relay.. i have bee through the KB and it talkes about how tot test one but not specificly how to close one. i have in my smtp acesss relay tab all all but list below and authinticate check at the bottom. is the any thing else i have to do.. because im in one of those blacklist and they check me and said i still have an open relay Thank You Can we see their diagnostics? D whitten wrote: > Ok how do you close an open relay.. i have bee through the KB and it talkes > about how tot test one but not specificly how to close one. > i have in my smtp acesss...