Reducing the Database

I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the original
source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every
item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) and
expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an
offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new mail
server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 1g
as it did on the other server? Thanks

Ken
0
KSIKEN (19)

Depends :-)  What is your Deleted Items Retention policy?  If you deleted
everything yesterday, but Deleted Items Retention is set for 30 days, then
the mailbox size should be 1gb.  DIR counts against the size of the mailbox
within the database, but does not count against the size displayed by
Outlook.

BTW - an offline defrag has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the
mailbox.  It pertains to the database itself.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"KSIKEN" <KSIKEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the
>original
> source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every
> item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment)
> and
> expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an
> offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new
> mail
> server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show
> 1g
> as it did on the other server? Thanks
>
> Ken

0
Ben
6/2/2005 4:16:09 PM
Ben

Thanks for your reply, and just to be clear I set the deleted items
retention for 1 day and deleted the items 2 days ago.
Also, I understand the defrag has nothing to do with the mailbox, but once I
defrag wouldnt it show me the true size of the mailbox or in this case would
it still show the mailbox to be 1 g

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Depends :-)  What is your Deleted Items Retention policy?  If you deleted
> everything yesterday, but Deleted Items Retention is set for 30 days, then
> the mailbox size should be 1gb.  DIR counts against the size of the mailbox
> within the database, but does not count against the size displayed by
> Outlook.
>
> BTW - an offline defrag has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the
> mailbox.  It pertains to the database itself.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "KSIKEN" <KSIKEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the
> >original
> > source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every
> > item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment)
> > and
> > expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an
> > offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new
> > mail
> > server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show
> > 1g
> > as it did on the other server? Thanks
> >
> > Ken

0
KSIKEN (19)
6/2/2005 4:30:04 PM
No.  An Offline Defrag (eseutil) has nothing to do with mailbox sizes or how
they are displayed.  Regarding the DIR setting, did you also verify that the
checkbox "do not permanently delete items until store has been backed up" is
not checked?  Did you make sure that online maintenance ran successfully?
The Online maintenance is what will actually clean up the items in the
dumpster (Deleted Items Retention), so if maintenance isn't completing, you
need to adjust the schedule.  Look for events 1206 and 1207 in the App log.

So, bottom line here is that in your case, completing an offline defrag
wouldn't adjust the size of the mailbox.  If it is 1gb before offline
defrag, it will be 1gb after.

--

> Ben
>
> Thanks for your reply, and just to be clear I set the deleted items
> retention for 1 day and deleted the items 2 days ago.
> Also, I understand the defrag has nothing to do with the mailbox, but once
> defrag wouldnt it show me the true size of the mailbox or in this case
> would
> it still show the mailbox to be 1 g
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Depends :-)  What is your Deleted Items Retention policy?  If you deleted
>> everything yesterday, but Deleted Items Retention is set for 30 days,
>> then
>> the mailbox size should be 1gb.  DIR counts against the size of the
>> mailbox
>> within the database, but does not count against the size displayed by
>> Outlook.
>>
>> BTW - an offline defrag has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the
>> mailbox.  It pertains to the database itself.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "KSIKEN" <KSIKEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the
>> >original
>> > source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted
>> > every
>> > item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment)
>> > and
>> > expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform
>> > an
>> > offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new
>> > mail
>> > server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it
>> > show
>> > 1g
>> > as it did on the other server? Thanks
>> >
>> > Ken

0
Ben

Reference integrity between two databases
Hello. I have two tables, Customer and Order. If they were in one database, I would create a foreign key from Order to Customer, but they are not, they are in different databases (on the same server). The databases are maintained independently, so I'd rather put an adapter (wrapping the Customer table and implemented as a db view) between the databases. The view references the Customer table, and the Order would reference the view. That's the idea. But I'm unable to create a foreign key from Order to the view (Msg 1768: "Foreign key ... references object ... ...

Strange Characters Corrupting Database
I have an access 2003 database setup on our network.Frontend on windows xp pro. Backend data on Windows Server 2003.All OS and office updates have been done on all machines.My problem is that I am having occasional data corruption in the form in some fields of some records. The database itself does not become corrupt but data in the corrupt fields has to be re-entered. I found mention of this problem that was relate4d to the auto correct feature of access 2003. I have recreated the fe/be databases with this feature disabled with no effect.Any other help would be greatly appreciated.Thank yo...

reduce document print size
This seems like it should be an obvious answer, but I can't figure it out. I have a 24"x18" sign in Publisher, I want to reduce it to postcard size, or about 6"x4.5". I can't find any print driver setting to allow me to do this. There is a setting for 25% reduction but thats a function of the printer driver. Does publisher have a function to allow me to reduce the print size down to 12.5%? Hmmm.... I suppose I could output to jpg and reduce with photoshop.... surely there is a much easier answer though. Thanks! If there is text involved, the conversion...

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Reducing the Database
I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the original source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) and expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new mail server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 1g as it did on the other server? Thanks Ken Depends :-) What is your Deleted Items Retention policy? If you deleted everything yesterda...

How to reduce table?
I have a table with over 5000 rows. However, only about 2500 rows contain info, the rest are empty rows (one row with info, next empty, etc). I deleted a few rows by clicking on them and holding Ctrl key. But is there a way to delete several hundreds of empty rows at once? If there is, may someone please tell me how to do it! -- Ilya Zeldes Fort Myers, Florida Select a column that has empty cells. F5>Special>Blanks>OK. Edit>Delete>Entire Rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:56:51 -0400, "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote: >I h...

Converting numbers to "database" format
I want to convert numbers in excel to a format with a set amount of digits. For example, 1 becomes 001, 12 becomes 012 etc. I have created a special format using 000. This works until I want to work with these numbers, for example by using CONCATENATE. So if I have 01 and 012 and want it to be 01012, it ends up as 112. Any suggestion on how to preserve formatting? hi, with leading zeros i am assuming that these are "text" numbers or numbers you are not going to do math with. so your problem is the excel thing that they are numbers. format them as text and make sure that t...

works database
I've got old works database files (.wdb) on backup disk that I would like to import/convert into Excel 2000. Newer computer, old works program not loaded on this machine. So, I can't do as Microsoft suggests and open in works and saveas dbase file. Please advise. Thanks in advance! Sometimes you can get lucky and just change the file extension to something the software will recognize. This is dicey, and may or may not work. Step 1 is to try this only on a *backup* copy of the file, so no data is lost in the event of an irrecoverable error. Step 2 is to change the .wdb file e...

corrupt database or corrupt database element
having a problem with exchange server 2003 on win server 2003. Veritas backup exec is reporting a corrupt database or corrupt database element when it is trying to backup a particular persons email box. The offending email it mentions is in the INBOX and has a subject of (about 20 box (ascii char)) re: outlook 10 I dont believe that the database is actually corrupt but i do believe that this email is some sort of spam/garbage email that now is lodged in the inbox. Through outlook or the OWA you can not find/see this particular message. Is there a way to get into the individual's email...

reduce printing
I am using MS Publisher 2003. I want to print our school paper which I formatted to 12" x 18" but reduced to the size of a legal size bond paper, 8.5" x 14". I am using Epson Stylus C43SX printer. What should I do? ...

Report from external database
Hello! I have a problem: more difficult to visualize report coming from external database. After created this report, i pubblish with Crystal enhancement, but when i try to see this report from Report section it's not visible. Error is: "failed to load database information" I have created personal report that retrieve data from external database! It is possible that the CRM make this report? It's possible that this dinamic report (on update from external database) be visible into report section on CRM? Thanks Max The version of Crystal that ships with CRM is only l...

remote database needs prefix database in sql
Hey All, I'm trying to write some SQL for a remote sql05 database and it requires me to prefix any table names with the database name. Is there anyway around this, kinda clutters up the sql, i think. thanks, rod. This is the way object identifiers work. :) You can, however, use synonyms on SQL Server 2005 (and above). ML --- Matija Lah, SQL Server MVP http://milambda.blogspot.com/ what does it mean when some databases require it and others don't? "ML" wrote: > This is the way object identifiers work. :) > > You can, however, use...

the viewstate hidden field, how can I reduce it?
hi asp.net 3.5 I see in my page that the hidden field viewstate is relativly very large, and are looking for ways to reduce it. Because I think it can improve ranking. <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="WJ6eLjF5Grnr80+KngeZIcTDmEbX+zjv6ptIUmMgYaqKCBB/5hAKJ748W52U1l74GfNLHDuTLuwC/O4GQE/Sp+BnQYsW+nJHK+Qkg6xfb467kHRpiCUUl/Uv2tgQssSa2K4sfbMyaL/IIlb03091A3lbQV1wLMDvL7NPqXgwJERA1+Cx2eNlzll2WkbhNQw5Ne0FmtmBXaZysPeDEeQIrl5R2IesEHnCbrG5Mz2otNviv2JKia1yXgAKw3ljDlH7wmYWOF+WXn9lhsF5YElQnMZV2hpzQjJ91O5YARub/ci77gftNaI2Z6FqHjH...

update to database
Hi How can I update changes made in visio 2003 to SQL 2000 server When I did refresh model, the update database option is grayed out Is it not possible to do that in professional edition thanks database forward engineering is only available in the enterprise architect edition. al "j75251" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FF41FF7-DE31-495A-A14A-0D66A9EFBF99@microsoft.com... > Hi, > How can I update changes made in visio 2003 to SQL 2000 server? > When I did refresh model, the update database option is grayed out. > Is it not possible to d...

database strange behavior
I do not know if it was already posted !!! Hi to all, I am wondering if some of you MVP can shed some light on this strange behavior. I have develop a database FE/BE and trnasfer old data from a legacy Access97 db. Everything was working just fine until this past monday. I am starting getting error 3044 ... wrong file path msg from user,the path in the msg was pointing directly to my development folder on my desktop. I found out which table was causing the problem, so I just rebuild it, transfer data fom the problem table to the new one, ran test and get the same error, this t...

Reduce file size.
My file was 90Kb before I formated some cells and when I saved it, the size jumped to 180kb. Double What I think happened is instead of formatting only 5 cells, by mistake I formatted 5000 cells. But they're still all empty, so does it matter Is there any way I can reduce the size back to 90Kb or so, because I copy this file on my pocket PC and can't afford to waste any memory Thanks! "Guido" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FF56E06-1092-4124-9B7D-D3A10F448AE2@microsoft.com... > My file was 90Kb before I formated some cells and when I...

Restore SP1 database after upgrade to SP2
Hi, We upgraded our EX2003 servers to SP2 last month and it looks like we may need to restore an old SP1 database in order to retrieve mail from a mailbox for somebody who is no longer with the company. Can the RSG handle this even though the SP revisions are different, or should I be taking another approach? Thanks for any advice I believe that I came across something in a kb article at one time that suggested that if you restored an sp1 DB to an SP2 RSG, the DB automatically got updated to SP2...let me see if I can find something on it...or maybe someone else can call up the article f...

how to reduce high cpu usage
When I run Outlook 2003 on my dell M1210 notebook, the CPU usage increase and slower down other services. The cpu given spike usage in every 1-2 seconds. How to resolve this and what is the cause of it? How often are you polling for new mail and do you have your antivirus set to scan incoming/outgoing mail? Do you have any add ins or COMs installed? Any synching software or fax software? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Kairo Ismail" wrote: > When I run Outlook 2003 on my dell M1210 notebook, the CPU usage i...

Reduce the virtual Memory used by application
Hi , I have several servers in (VC++) running on a windows XP having 1G of RAM. These servers does some polling to some of the devices/process requests from the client. But i always see a hardisk usage(the harddisk usage light is flickering).?. Why is this happening. Its showing the mem usage around 4 MB and virtual memory as some 5 MB or so..?Why does this happen. ?.Since i am having plenty of RAM, and i dont quite understand why the hardisk is being used. Is there any compilation option that i should use ? Appreciate ur inputs on this Thanks May be some applications are accessing disk f...

How do I reduce size of newsletter in publisherfrom 4 to 2 pages?
I need only a 2 page newsletter. Haven't figured out how to reduce size of templates given from 4 to 2. Delete the pages you don't want. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADB37C8F-8E4F-4299-BB10-E99C310416A5@microsoft.com... >I need only a 2 page newsletter. Haven't figured out how to reduce size of > templates given from 4 to 2. In Publisher 2000 it's Edit Delete page -- Don Vancouver, USA "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Creating E-R Diagrams In Visio Based On ACCESS Database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB9.47434CA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to generate an E-R diagram for an ACCESS database that I have = setup. In ACCESS I have defined all of the table relationships using the = relationships tool. Now I am looking for a way to import that = relationships data into Visio to create a more formal and commented E-R = diagram. Any ideas? Thanks, Gary --=20 Gary Novosel Recursion (noun). See recursion. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB...

Database Corruption?
Greetings, I have some Access 2002 applications that run on a server, front-end/back-end. I have run into a new problem since upgrading with the '30-day Trial' version of office 2003. While I can run my resident applications just fine, some network applications will not open. Access says they are corrupt! When I copy them to a local drive, I cannot repair them either. Yet these same files run just fine on Access 2002 machines on the network? Is there some setting I need to change in Access 2003? I own these files, yet cannot open or repair them? ...

how do i create a reducing number that reduces at certain dates
Hi all, basically what im trying to create is a spreadsheet showing how many payments i have left on an item i purchased. Now i pay $100 on this item on every 2nd friday. So my question is, what is a formula that will look at todays date and reconise that it is the second friday when payment is due and reduce a given figure in a cell by $100. For example, Total cost is $1000, payments = $100, payments are due on 07/10/05, 21/10/05, 04/11/05 etc So when the 07/10/05 arrives total cost will = $900, when 21/10/05 arrives total cost will = 800 etc. Obviously when the date is other than spec...

Reduce OWA pages ?
Is it possible to reduce the size of web pages by IIS for OWA exchange 2K ? ...

How to access a database on a server from a local machine using od
How can I access a database on our server using odbc. I can access the database using odbc if i copy the database to my local machine. When I try to set up a System DSN connecting to the server, I get a connection failed error. ...