Reducing the Database

I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the original 
source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every 
item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) and 
expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an 
offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new mail 
server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 1g 
as it did on the other server? Thanks

Ken
0
KSIKEN (19)
6/2/2005 2:40:05 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
729 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42

Depends :-)  What is your Deleted Items Retention policy?  If you deleted 
everything yesterday, but Deleted Items Retention is set for 30 days, then 
the mailbox size should be 1gb.  DIR counts against the size of the mailbox 
within the database, but does not count against the size displayed by 
Outlook.

BTW - an offline defrag has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the 
mailbox.  It pertains to the database itself.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"KSIKEN" <KSIKEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:E00C9639-1F9E-4E9E-B8A4-E412D9654806@microsoft.com...
>I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the 
>original
> source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every
> item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) 
> and
> expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an
> offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new 
> mail
> server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 
> 1g
> as it did on the other server? Thanks
>
> Ken 


0
Ben
6/2/2005 4:16:09 PM
Ben

Thanks for your reply, and just to be clear I set the deleted items 
retention for 1 day and deleted the items 2 days ago. 
Also, I understand the defrag has nothing to do with the mailbox, but once I 
defrag wouldnt it show me the true size of the mailbox or in this case would 
it still show the mailbox to be 1 g

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Depends :-)  What is your Deleted Items Retention policy?  If you deleted 
> everything yesterday, but Deleted Items Retention is set for 30 days, then 
> the mailbox size should be 1gb.  DIR counts against the size of the mailbox 
> within the database, but does not count against the size displayed by 
> Outlook.
> 
> BTW - an offline defrag has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the 
> mailbox.  It pertains to the database itself.
> 
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> 
> 
> "KSIKEN" <KSIKEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:E00C9639-1F9E-4E9E-B8A4-E412D9654806@microsoft.com...
> >I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the 
> >original
> > source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every
> > item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) 
> > and
> > expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an
> > offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new 
> > mail
> > server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 
> > 1g
> > as it did on the other server? Thanks
> >
> > Ken 
> 
> 
> 
0
KSIKEN (19)
6/2/2005 4:30:04 PM
No.  An Offline Defrag (eseutil) has nothing to do with mailbox sizes or how 
they are displayed.  Regarding the DIR setting, did you also verify that the 
checkbox "do not permanently delete items until store has been backed up" is 
not checked?  Did you make sure that online maintenance ran successfully? 
The Online maintenance is what will actually clean up the items in the 
dumpster (Deleted Items Retention), so if maintenance isn't completing, you 
need to adjust the schedule.  Look for events 1206 and 1207 in the App log.

So, bottom line here is that in your case, completing an offline defrag 
wouldn't adjust the size of the mailbox.  If it is 1gb before offline 
defrag, it will be 1gb after.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"KSIKEN" <KSIKEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:CFBF1516-F647-4D4C-95DD-48CE70655805@microsoft.com...
> Ben
>
> Thanks for your reply, and just to be clear I set the deleted items
> retention for 1 day and deleted the items 2 days ago.
> Also, I understand the defrag has nothing to do with the mailbox, but once 
> I
> defrag wouldnt it show me the true size of the mailbox or in this case 
> would
> it still show the mailbox to be 1 g
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Depends :-)  What is your Deleted Items Retention policy?  If you deleted
>> everything yesterday, but Deleted Items Retention is set for 30 days, 
>> then
>> the mailbox size should be 1gb.  DIR counts against the size of the 
>> mailbox
>> within the database, but does not count against the size displayed by
>> Outlook.
>>
>> BTW - an offline defrag has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the
>> mailbox.  It pertains to the database itself.
>>
>> -- 
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>
>>
>> "KSIKEN" <KSIKEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E00C9639-1F9E-4E9E-B8A4-E412D9654806@microsoft.com...
>> >I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the
>> >original
>> > source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted 
>> > every
>> > item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment)
>> > and
>> > expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform 
>> > an
>> > offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new
>> > mail
>> > server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it 
>> > show
>> > 1g
>> > as it did on the other server? Thanks
>> >
>> > Ken
>>
>>
>> 


0
Ben
6/2/2005 7:21:49 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Database access
Hi Before I go into reading all the help files. Is it possible to read and update a database file ( .mdb ) created with Visual Basic, using a macro from within an Excel 97 worksheet. Thanks Charles This might be a help for getting data to and from Excel and Access: It includes examples of using variables in SQL queries. http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/sql.html Or you can get there from the "Excel with Access Databases" section on page: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm It demonstrates how to use SQL in Excel's VBA to: * create a database, * create a table...

Query Database Properties
I am hoping this is a relatively easy one... I need to create a document that includes several key items from a specific SQL Instance: * Server Name * Database Name * Owner * Date Created * Size * Table Name * Schema * Data Space * Row Count I can see this information in the properties, but want to know how to write a query to produce a table with the information I need, but I don't even know what database/table to query... I greatly appreciate any assistance! Regards, Ray RayportingMonkey (RayportingMonkey@discussions.microsof...

Large Database Size and Eseutil
I run a small Exchange 2003 SP1 installation. The priv.edb file size has been running about 2 gigabytes. On Friday when I got to work the file size had increased to 8 gigabytes and within another two hours it grew to 10 gigabytes. I have not been able to figure out why this happened, although it has stopped growing. I ran an integrity check on the database and it was OK. I was going to use the Eseutil utility, but I keep getting a message that it cannot find the database. I only have one information store. The database name I am using is mailboxstore.ebd. Is this correct? Any i...

Entourage Database vs Exchange Store, who wins?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap If this question has been asked already I apologize for repeating it, however, I can't think of a search phrase for this. <br><br>Suppose you have users with large email boxes (>15GB) using Entourage 2k4 to connect to Exchange 2003. <br><br>We decided to reduce the size of the mailboxes by using outlook to export all mail prior to 2007 to a pst. After the PST was exported we used Outlook to delete all those messages. <br><br>After this we did an Offline ...

Upgrade - 1.0 to 1.2
Hi, Installing 1.2 on new server and will be moving all my 1.0 data off of the old one. Will i NEED to install 1.0 and then restore the backed up SQL databases then upgrade to 1.2, or can i just install 1.2 and then restore? Or am i missing an important step? CT I wanted to add a little more info. We had also migrated (Using the MS active director migration tools) from a 2000 server to a 2003 server, moving all users and keeping their GUID's. As per a post from John O'Donnell back in Dec he stated that moving databases from one doamin to another was not possible, for the followin...

Restore of Dynamics database
Hi, Last week, we had a power failure which damaged some tables (three tables) in Dynamics database. We found this error until today. I can't recover these tables by DBCC CHECKDB because the minumum option is repare_allow_data_lose. We have the back of Dynamics a week ago. Could I restore the Dynamics a week ago, and at same time, keep the current companies database. Thanks Yong The Dynamics database contains information on users, user activity, AND current batches. Your batch information in all series would need to be corrected if you did this...

database recomendations
I am trying to create a searchable database for members of my department It should allow me to store thousands of problems, related solutions, support documentation and contact information and have dozens of people using it simultaneously. I have attempted to put this together in Access 2003 but remain unhappy with the results and frearful that as hundreds of people use the DB I'll end up with problems. I am starting to believe that Access is not the best application for our needs. What I'm looking for is a bit of advice on how to proceed. Should I abandon Access for anot...

moving company database
I am looking for a database program for a new moving company that would track name, first address and second address, phone numbers, email and comment field. and track how much I was paid for the job and totals for the month, quarter, year. does any want a small challange? marjen@hot.rr.com If you are looking to hire a consultant, be sure to check references carefully, and to be sure the project's parameters and the pricing policies are well-defined. I suspect there is off-the-shelf small business software that will fit your needs at a fraction of the cost of a custom program...

XML & Relational Database
Hi all, I'm a newbie. I want to parsing XML data into a single relational database. I found that this can be done by reading XML file into a dataset and uses a DataAdapter to load them into a database. Is this a good way to parsing XML data? Are there any easier way? I'm not using a SQL Server so I can't use SQLXML lib. Where I can find a good site that provide goods example about this things? Thanks, ano Did you try with XML DOM? -- Every thing is perfect, as long as you share!!! "ano" wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm a newbie. I want to parsing XML data ...

"Setup was unable to grant access to MS CRM databases"
Our upgrade failed and now i'm trying to restore the 1.2 databases and reinstall. However, I'm running into the following error message just as the setup starts: "Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server. Setup was unable to grant access to the Microsoft CRM databases" Any ideas on what i need to do? Sounds like you may have to delete the Domain\server name SQL login. Use the EM of SQL and get to the security section. Delete the login for the accou nt. Since it's a machine account it has the $ after it, like an IPC$ Share. Delete the account and rest...

locating a calendar database
Hi, I'm trying to find a calendar database that I got from someone in this group. The thing I remember is the calendar could show one month or show all twelve months. If anyone knows were this database is please post the link. Thank-you. Might have been Stephen Lebans' wrapper for the Microsoft Month Calendar Common Control: http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Parker" <malpar@red...

Can I Generate Sql scripts from database models?
How? I have looked all the menus and havent found how to do it are you at the correct version... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301970 al "Luis Esteban Valencia" <levalencia@avansoft.com> wrote in message news:%23k1IAwYfFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > How? I have looked all the menus and havent found how to do it > > ...

Use VBA to access SQL database
I am attempting to open a query within a userform that interrogates a SQL database (password protected) and then return results from other columns for the same client code as entered by the user in the form. I set up a link to the database for mail merge within word, but accepted that I would need to take that a step further to get the interrogation into the userform. In setting up the link to the server I created and .odc which I thought would then be accessible within VBA, but I don't appear to be able to access that data feed within VBA. Sure I am missing something tri...

Database programming in MFC
Hello, I am quite new to database programming in MFC. I need to read/write MS Access database files. Writing binary data is crucial. So far, I tried CDatabase and CRecordset classes. Reading is OK, but updating records is painful. I tried the CODBCRecordset class written by Stefan Tchekanov (http://www.codeproject.com/database/odbcrecordset.asp), but there are errors in reading/writing binary data. What is the best tool for MS Access in MFC ? Thanks! DAO of course. It is native to Accrss databases. But SQL Express is recommended for easiler upgrade. -- Regards Sheng Jiang Microsoft Most...

Reducing quantities on Posted POs
I understand that the reason we can't reduce them is because they are posted but we have to post them to receive them. So it doesn't make sense to me. Do I just need some coffee or some chocolate? Thanks Leslie There is no posting routine for purchase orders. There are posting routines for receivings and invoices. "LASM" wrote: > I understand that the reason we can't reduce them is because they are posted > but we have to post them to receive them. So it doesn't make sense to me. Do > I just need some coffee or some chocolate? > > Thanks >...

Money's database format
I decided to tool around with my old Money files in a binary editor (can't do much else with them). The first thing in the file's header was "MSISAM Database"--this is not news, the newsgroup FAQ states this. Well I noticed that in a similar position in an Access database I had lying around it says "Standard Jet DB", so I replaced "MSISAM Database" with that. I saved it and now Access didn't complain about unknown database type, but it did request a password--which just means they changed a tiny bit of stuff so that it wouldn't read straight int...

Saving Excel ranges as database tables
I belive you can save/convert Excel spreadsheets to database file formats. Do you know how? Many thanks -- Peter London, UK You can save the active sheet as a dbf file. File|SaveAs|Type db1,db2 or db3. Then in Access you can open up this file (I've Just doneit). But I think that you can open Excel files directly in Access but I'm not sure about choosing the data sheet. Why not just try it and see. Regards Peter "Peter" wrote: > I belive you can save/convert Excel spreadsheets to database file formats. Do > you know how? > Many thanks > -- > Peter >...

How to delete some records in all the tables in a database?
Hello, I am new to this so sorry for the this simple question. I want to delete certain records on all the tables in a database using ADO from VB6. I can have a line like below: sSQL="DELETE * FROM TableName WHERE FieldID='" & FieldName & "'" But how can I scan all the tables in the database so that TableName above is each one of the tables in the database. Thank you. Athena Dim tbl as TableDef For Each tbl in CurrentDb.TableDefs sSQL="DELETE * FROM " & tbl.Name & " WHERE FieldID='" &a...

Fill Access Database
Hi, I have written an MFC database application using Access 2003 and want to test the performance on a large databse. My question is does anyone know a quick and easy way to populate the database rather than going into Access and doing it manually field by field? Thanks In Advance Macca Go into access and use an INSERT INTO statement in the SQL query and use ; at the end, copy and paste it a few thousand times and then run the query. Should fill the DB right up. - MR "Macca" <Macca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7ED57E25-01F1-4327-941D-5530DFE59322...

Microsoft Publisher Dialogue or database engine failure,
Just got this message and cannot get to my customer names and addresses, I really am getting fed up with this program !!!! bigkate wrote: > Just got this message and cannot get to my customer names > and addresses, I really am getting fed up with this > program !!!! ================================================= Maybe the following KB articles will offer some ideas: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279363 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279364 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320838 -- John Inzer return e...

Issue trying to connect to database
When I try to connect to my RMS database using RMS Administrator, I got the following message: Cannot open user default database. Login failed. This happens using any computer on my network, even the server where this database was installed. The same issue happens when I try to make a backup. I also tried to open database in SQL enterprise manager and got the following message: --------------------------------------- A connection could not be established to (local). Rason: Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL...

editing exsisting access database
I have recently inheirited a 2007 Access Database. I am currently trying to find the forms and queries part of this database to make changes to it; such as adding the ability to search by last name option instead of looking thru an entire list of names. Currently to look at the database I can either just dbl click the access db and get the first form or I can hold down the shift key and get a database tools , external data menus. How do I get to where the forms and queries are located? Thank you What happens if you push F11 in either view? UpRider "benny wa" <be...

can't add database to recovery storage group
I create a recovery storage group, then try to add database to recover to it and exchange system manager crashes. Application log entry says: Faulting application maildsmx.dll, version 6.5.6944.0, stamp 3edc4ebd, faulting module lcdsuiex.dll, version 2.0.5470.0, stamp 426c886c, debug? 0, fault address 0x00002bb2. When I repeat the same process on another server with exchange tools installed it works but of course the path to the databases is not correct so I can't add database. I uninstalled and reinstalled the exchange tools thinking that might fix it but no luck - same error. ...

unrecognized database format 04-26-06
Good morning. I'm posting here, even though my issue is not a result of a DB conversion. I have a 2000 DB file that I set up on a server and also emailed to a user. My user and myself are both using Access 2003, but when my user tries to access the DB on the server and locally, she gets this error message: unrecognized database format 'path'. To test, I converted my DB from 2000 to 2003, but she still couldn't open it. I've never had this problem. You would think a user would be able to open a 2000 or 2003 file when running Access 2003. I have not had this error in...

Missing Text in Database Properties window?
Hi, In Visio 2003, I tried to create ER diagram (Database-->Database Model Diagram). Then I drag something to the canvas, say an Entity object. Now the Database Properties window cannot show me everything on the page. For example, select "Primary ID" in the Categories box, under "Generate as" combo box, it seems to have a check box, but I can only see its upper bound. There must be some text on the right of that check box but I can see nothing as it is buried under ground. Such controls are not fully displayed no matter how I resize the "database properties" w...