Recovery server #4

Hi,

I am setting up a recovery server to restore an online backup of the info
store of an Exchange 2003 server.  I can not use the recovery storage group
as it is a snapshot backup and not supported by Symantec.

I know that the log file path does not matter but does the database path
matter?  I have done this restore to a recovery server in earlier versions of
exchange without issue.  The only diffenences in this case is that
1- I am restoring from a snapshot backup
2- I got lazy and recreated the recovery server with only a C: and the
production server has the exchange databases on a D:

The error I am getting is e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make
sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I can't find anything that says I needed to match the database location to
the production server.

Should I call Symantec or should I rebuild the server with the D: and start
again.

Ughh.... any help would be appreciated and if I made I really stupid obvious
mistake, feel free to make fun of me!

thanks in advance.
0
Debra (45)

the new server storage group and database are call as the old ones?
if not you should recreate the SG and db with the same name.
If that don't help take a look at this

"Debra" <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a recovery server to restore an online backup of the info
> store of an Exchange 2003 server.  I can not use the recovery storage
> group
> as it is a snapshot backup and not supported by Symantec.
>
> I know that the log file path does not matter but does the database path
> matter?  I have done this restore to a recovery server in earlier versions
> of
> exchange without issue.  The only diffenences in this case is that
> 1- I am restoring from a snapshot backup
> 2- I got lazy and recreated the recovery server with only a C: and the
> production server has the exchange databases on a D:
>
> The error I am getting is e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make
> sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
>
> I can't find anything that says I needed to match the database location to
> the production server.
>
> Should I call Symantec or should I rebuild the server with the D: and
> start
> again.
>
> Ughh.... any help would be appreciated and if I made I really stupid
> obvious
> mistake, feel free to make fun of me!
>
> thanks in advance.

It is an issue with the snapshot backup.  Looks like I can't restore a
snapshot anywhere but to the production server.  Really stinks!!

Thanks for your help

"Leandro Amore" wrote:

> the new server storage group and database are call as the old ones?
> if not you should recreate the SG and db with the same name.
> If that don't help take a look at this
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266177.htm
>

> "Debra" <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am setting up a recovery server to restore an online backup of the info
> > store of an Exchange 2003 server.  I can not use the recovery storage
> > group
> > as it is a snapshot backup and not supported by Symantec.
> >
> > I know that the log file path does not matter but does the database path
> > matter?  I have done this restore to a recovery server in earlier versions
> > of
> > exchange without issue.  The only diffenences in this case is that
> > 1- I am restoring from a snapshot backup
> > 2- I got lazy and recreated the recovery server with only a C: and the
> > production server has the exchange databases on a D:
> >
> > The error I am getting is e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make
> > sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
> >
> > I can't find anything that says I needed to match the database location to
> > the production server.
> >
> > Should I call Symantec or should I rebuild the server with the D: and
> > start
> > again.
> >
> > Ughh.... any help would be appreciated and if I made I really stupid
> > obvious
> > mistake, feel free to make fun of me!
> >
> > thanks in advance.

0
Debra (45)

Diasbling OWA on a Exchange 2003 server
Does any one know how to disable OWA on a Exchange 2003 server? Is it as easy as stopping the Exchange Virtual Server? By stopping this service, will it cause me other issues? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Richard There's different solution. The best for me is only to disable OWA for some users. For make this you must go to: Microsoft Exchange - Active Directory User and Computer - set Advanced VIew - select user - properties - exchange advanced - protocol setting and remove HTTP protocol. But if you want disable for all user you can only take off line the Exchange http...

Add Exch2003 server to an existing Exch2000 environment
Currently we have an Exchange 2000 server in a Windows 2000 environment. Can a new Exchange 2003 server be added to the same organization and coexist with the other Exchange 2000 with no problems or complication in administration? It is much appreciated if you have similar setups and can share your experience with us. John. Yes, that will be fine. One thing though: I'd upgrade all ESMs to the E2k3 version, since it is ok to use the E2k3 version of ESM to manage an E2k server, but it's not ok to use the E2k version to manage an E2k3 server (since there are new features in E...

Manually retrieve ALL messages from the server?
Howdy, We use Outlook at work and have it set up so that we leave the email on the server in case we have to get it from home. However, I haev some email that I see out on our email server (using the web email checking utility) but I don't have them in Outlook (2002). Is there some way to tell Outlook to redownload all the messages that are out there? I don't care if I end up with some duplicates, I just don't want to be missing anything. Thanks. ANyone know? On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:56:35 -0500, Mr B <ladeeda@hahaha.com> wrote: >Howdy, > >We use Outlook at wo...

Can't restore from Recovery Storage Group via Sys Manager or Exmerge.exe
I have successfully restored my old servers store to a recovery storage group, and see the users and the number of items etc. If I try to restore one to the new info store on the rebuilt server I get an error that it failed and the following in the report: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?> - <taskWizardRun taskName="Recover Mailbox Data" dcName="MBSERVER01" buildNumber="7638" runningAs="Administrator@mynet.NET"> <timespan startTime="2006-07-23 02:40:03.484" milliseconds="172" /> - <...

OL2003 email server issues
Just upgraded to Office 2003 Pro. Network is a 2000 SBS w/ Exchange, etc. I have configured a POP3/SMTP internet email server, and the Exchange email server. However, the new Outlook is not finding happiness with my Exchange. Problem: When I receive an internet email from my POP3 account, and then try to forward that message to a member in my Exchange domain group, that forwarded message is mistakenly sent to my internet POP3/SMTP server...and is subsequently returned by the mailer-daemon. I CAN HOWEVER, send new messages and reply to the Exchange members without problems - as...

Recovery #4
Hope someone can help me, I have the problem I think that article KB889528 will fix, but after reading it I have Event ID 217 did you call for the hotfix? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3ECB53B-3B7D-4BB2-A138-87ECC840687A@microsoft.com... > Hope someone can help me, I have the problem I think that article KB889528 > will fix, but after reading it I have Event ID 217 Yes I did buy I have not yet applied it and I was wondering 2 things 1 If I should do an offline back up first? 2 If I should skip the hotfix a...

send outgoing mail through the front-end server
Currently, I have a front-end server that provides OWA services and receives all incoming mail, which is then forwarded to the backend server. All outbound mail is currently sent directly from the backend server out to the Internet. This, of course caused issues with mail providers that used reverse dns. Although I created a band-aid solution, I would like to know what would be the possibility and ramifications of forwarding the outbound mail through the front end server. So, then all Internet mail would flow through that device. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. You could ...

Send To and pdf and Outlook 2007 and Server 2008 and SQL 2005
Hi all, I am having trouble with simply sending pdf documents from the screen layout window for any report generated in GP. I can however send a txt report via email using the Send To functionality. The button is active as is the option to select either Txt or Pdf but the new message window that normally opens up for you to insert a mail address (with the respective attachment) simply does not open. My client is using Outlook 2007, the server is on Server 2008 running SQL 2005 SP3. We get the same issue from all clients as well - the clients are on Windows XP or Visat combination. ...

Public folder #4
How do you set the public folders to be by default listed in the left pane....right now if you want to see public folders you have to go to "go" each time to see folders...... What version of Outlook are you using? If 2003, you need to be in folder view, not mail view. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Dan asked: | How do you set the public f...

Office Update for OS-X (10.4.7)
Anyone know if/when there will be a release so users can update Office 2004 for MAC that will work with Tiger, 10.4.7? I have been unable to take advantage of any of the Office updates for quite awhile since according to Microsoft on May 28, 2006 this was a known issue for Apple and so far there seems to be no fixes. Thanks, Scott On 10/7/06 23:12, in article 1152569558.487632.208370@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "scott-pwfb" <scott.gingold@gmail.com> wrote: > Anyone know if/when there will be a release so users can update Office > 2004 for MAC that will work with Ti...

linking #4

How do I setup a recovery server and do the recovery?
How do I setup he recovery server? I have a spare 2003 server box, do I just put exchange server on to that and restore the database file into the mdsdata directory and then run integrity tools? Does it have to be the same organization or can it be a stand alone server. Thanks. Are you trying to rebuild a server to get it back online? Or are you trying to restore a database to get some data out of it. If you are trying to restore a database, try restoring to a recovery storage group. If you are just doing test restorations or testing D/R procedures, you do NOT want to put the...

Internal and external IP email servers
here is my problem: Our office email server is assigned a fixed external IP: 63.203.X.X I set up Outlook to look on that server IP and it correctly gets it's email. When I am in the office network instead i cannot "see" the 63.203.X.X IP address and instead have to use it's internal IP address of 10.0.0.10. I thus have two email account's. I am not a techie, but i am slightly conversant in NAT and firewall setup if that is the problem. Can you suggest ways of seeing the external IP address from inside the network? Coppernob wrote: > here is my problem: > > ...

Restore to Recovery Storage Group Failed
I'm trying to restore a backup file to a Recovery Storage Group, Exch 2003/Windows server 2003, backup made with ntbackup. I set up the recovery storage group in exchange system manager, as per kb824126, the restore fails right away. It says it's restoring to the first storage group, I thought it was supposed to restore to the recovery group? Is there anything I have to set on the recovery group that the kb doesn't mention? you added the store you want to restore to the RSG? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "dlw" <dlw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

SBS 2003 disaster recovery: advice?
Until today our SBS 2003 from Dell has been working perfectly. Now I'm looking at a screen that says: *** Hardware malfunction Call your hardware vendor for support *** The system was halted *** (no kidding) I have the CDs that came with the machine. Before I start plugging them in at random and rebooting I thought I'd ask for some advice. (My wife will be so proud of me ...) TIA. - Tony Lima -- Tony Lima Associates Los Altos, CA, USA 650-243-1286 Hi Tony, Maybe a little troubleshooting... Hardware Malfunction Results in System Error Message http://su...

leave a copy on my isp server
i need to leave a copy of messages on my isp server when download mails in local exchange server. i am using the pop3 connector to download mails. On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:34:05 -0700, Atif <Atif@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i need to leave a copy of messages on my isp server when download mails in >local exchange server. i am using the pop3 connector to download mails. Use POPCON or POPBeamer which are very cheap, non Microsoft, POP3 Connectors. The once included with SBS is no good beyond very basic operation. ...

Recovery server #4
Hi, I am setting up a recovery server to restore an online backup of the info store of an Exchange 2003 server. I can not use the recovery storage group as it is a snapshot backup and not supported by Symantec. I know that the log file path does not matter but does the database path matter? I have done this restore to a recovery server in earlier versions of exchange without issue. The only diffenences in this case is that 1- I am restoring from a snapshot backup 2- I got lazy and recreated the recovery server with only a C: and the production server has the exchange databases on ...

How to change which Exchange server is handling outgoing mail?
Hi... I have an Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000 server running in the same site, but on seperate boxes in our organization. When we upgraded to Exchange 2000 a while back, we kept the 5.5 server running. All of our mailboxes have been moved and are currently running on the Exchange 2000 box. The issue I'm having is that all of our outgoing mail is still going out through the 5.5 box. If I block the 5.5 server from port 25 at the firewall level, our mail stops going out. Or, if the 5.5 box has a problem of some sort, sometimes our outgoing mail will stop working until I reboot the 5.5 ...

Server Performance Report issue
Hello I have the Server Performance Report being sent to my email address. Every time I get the report it says Bad request (Invalid Host Name). It was working fine but all of a sudden it stopped working correctly. Anyone know what I need to do to fix this issue? thanks for any help. ...

OST recovery
I took on a client whose SBS 2003 network went down due to a server disk problem, Active Directory was not recovered, and a new domain name was used. As a result, the PC was removed from the old domain, then joined to the new domain, resulting in a different user profile on the PC (was Mary, now is Mary.001). There is no Exchange server running, she just used Outlook on her PC for the calendar. Is there a way to recover the calendar information in the OST file? If she's been joined to a new domain, not without buying a third-party = tool.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of ...

Leave a copy on server
I have a new Exchange server with OST, as well as some POP accounts that use a PST. I can easily tell the POP accounts to leave the mail on the server but have found no way to tell the Exchange account the same. How can I mix this? I want to receive the POP accounts into the PST inbox. I run Outlook on multiple computers so I have backup copies of those messages in case of hardware failure (or theft). I have added an Exchange account (since the company now has Exchange), and enabled the OST file to keep a local copy. I'd much prefer to leave the Exchange inbox messages on the server (...

Sales Order Processing #4
GP 7.5 / SQL 2000 We have several orders that are in history. There have been no invoice created for these orders. The QTY to invoice is set at the same amount as the QTY ordered. Do you know why GP would arbitrarily send orders to history before an invoice could be created on these ? ...

How do i prevent CRM server to be a spam server?
During a large email campaign it's possible the CRM server will send more then 1000 outgoing emails. Is it possible to define number of outgoing email / hour /day. or any other ideas? // Mats ...

CRM <-> Exchange Server Calendar
Is there any way in CRM 3.0 to link the User calendar to the matching Exchange calendar other that via the outlook client which I cant get to work ovr RPC HTTPS thanks in advance ...

OWa server not found message
This is a unique problem - We are running Ex 2003 w SP1, with Active/Passive. OWA gives me a server not found or DNS wrong message when on Exchang 01. But if I fail over to Ex 02 server OWA comes up OK? I have checked web services on Ex01 and all seems ok. Any help would be appreciated. Have you tried to bring up http://localhost/exchange on the server's IE when 01 is the active node? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "MidMOman" <MidMOman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:38F19721-02E4-4594-9...